Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 17 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  33

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                 KWIC Index for CY-90 Digests Available

Today's Queries:
                          EXE header manager?
                         Hard drive controllers
                 Request for info for a PC Based LAN...
                       retain/restore directories
                Sales Management Simulation Game Wanted
                              Text Editor?
                          TeX viewer for VGA?

New Uploads:
             ALLOCAAP.ZIP -- alloca() for TC2.0 and TC++1.0
            COM3COM4.TXT - Notes on using COMM ports 3 and 4
       DIVECOMP.ZIP - Diver's nitrogen loading computer simulator
                     HYTELNET uploaded to Simtel20
       IM17.ZIP - C/E/VGA/Herc 3D stars scrn saver w/visual eff.

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 91 14:08:44 PST
From: Virginia Hetrick <CUSGRAF%UCLAVMXA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: KWIC Index for CY-90 Digests Available

It basically takes the form of the few lines below.
Virginia

90:192 Attaching a dummy terminal to an AT
90:190 Attaching dummy terminal to an AT
90:214 Attaching Dummy Terminal to an AT
90:144 August 1990 Uploads
90:002 Auto-sizing on a VGA monitor
90:013 AUTOEXEC protection
90:007 AUTOFTP
90:007 Automatic keystroke generation
90:129 Automatic toggling of Keyclick
90:105 Automating a Medical Office info Wanted

[Virginia made this KWIC index as she has made those for previous
years, most notably the '83-'85 period.  She surfaced again in January
out of the clear, blue sky and again volunteered to do the index for
last year.  Many, many thanks, Virginia.

The KWIC Index can be found in file PD2:<archives.ibmpc>KWIC-1990.ZIP

gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 04:00:49 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: EXE header manager?

   Can you tell me where I can find an EXE header editor? Right now I
want to change the minimum stack allocation value in the EXE header.

   Many thanks.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:20 CST
From: EDENT%BSU.DECNET@MSUS1
Subject: Hard drive controllers

Well, here's my story...

  I used to have a XT compatible computer.  Installed was a couple of
disk drives, a hard drive, vga... etc.    Recently, however, this
computer has gone the way of the trashheap.

i am quite familiar with most of the ideas on upgrading, but some
things on the hard drives have me confused.

My current drive is an RLL 64 megabyte Seagate drive.  I need to know
if this drive can be setup as a start-up drive in a computer with an
IDE hard/floppy controller.

I've heard everything from yes, it'll work fine, to No, you have to buy
a new drive..

Any information would be helpful.....

William Schmidt
"edent%bsu.decnet@msus1.bitnet"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 17:38 IST
From: "S.M.SIDEEK" <SMS@tifrvax.bitnet>
Subject: Request for info for a PC Based LAN...

      I wish to connect 8 to 10 IBM PCs (XTs)in a network (possibly in
a lan)to control a particle accelerator.I am not sure about the kind of
hardware and software to be used.Any hints suggestions will be higly
appreciated...

Thanks
Shanmukh Kori

Email add:   SMS@TIFRVAX

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 09:23:55 EDT
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G@CMUVM>
Subject: retain/restore directories

In the past year, PCMAG had a little thing on how to save and then
restore the current directory in a batch file which changed the path.
Does anybody remember how to do that?

Chuck R.        bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet       Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 16:31:07 CST
From: Rogelio Isaac Garza <RGARZA@TECMTYVM>
Subject: Sales Management Simulation Game Wanted

I will apreciate any help on my quest for a Sales Management Simulation
Game. My intention is to expose several groups of students to a compe-
titive situation in order to allow them to get some expertise in sales
management.

Any information about software suppliers or actual users would be most
apreciated.  Thanks, Rogelio Isaac Garza

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 03:12:54 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: Text Editor?

Hi,

   I'd like to have your recommendation on text editor. I want it to be
good old WordStar compatible, able to handle very large files, and use
relatively little memory. Windows and shell features are not wanted
because I want to run it under DESQview.

   Many thanks.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 03:16:29 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: TeX viewer for VGA?

Hi,

   Any one recommand a good Tex DVI viewer for VGA (SVGA better)?

   I have looked at dvivga and dview. dvivga is quite nice except it
didn't implement special (graphics). dview has graphics but can't be
run on my DESQview window of 480K. I think it requires too much memory.

   Thanks a lot.
Jun

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 17:07:27 PST
From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
Subject: ALLOCAAP.ZIP -- alloca() for TC2.0 and TC++1.0

I have uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>
ALLOCAAP.ZIP    alloca() for TC2.0 and TC++1.0 by Alex Pruss

Two sets of alloca() functions for TC and TC+ by Alexander Pruss.
(1) as a macro, and (2) as a library function.

    --rjc

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 08:47:49 PST
From: forags@violet.Berkeley.Edu (Al Stangenberger)
Subject: COM3COM4.TXT - Notes on using COMM ports 3 and 4

I have uploaded a new version of COM3COM4.TXT to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.info>
COM3COM4.TXT    Notes on using COMM ports 3 and 4

I added instructions for writing a program to store base addresses of
these ports in low core memory.

Al Stangenberger                    Dept. of Forestry & Resource Mgt.
forags@violet.berkeley.edu          145 Mulford Hall - Univ. of Calif.
uucp:  ucbvax!ucbviolet!forags      Berkeley, CA  94720
BITNET: FORAGS AT UCBVIOLE          (415) 642-4424  FAX: (415) 643-5438

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 1991 01:12:06 +0100
From: Oivind Toien <oivindt@ulrik.uio.no>
Subject: DIVECOMP.ZIP - Diver's nitrogen loading computer simulator

I have uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil:

pd1:<msdos.education>
DIVECOMP.ZIP    Diver's nitrogen loading computer simulator

The program simulates the operation of a dive computer, and shows
nitrogen loading in all of the compartments during the course of
simulated dives.  The zip file contains an .exe file which is a port of
Dave Waller's divecomp program (version 2.5) to MSDOS by Dan Schwartz.
The original source code (compiling under unix), dive computer model
files, and sample profiles are also included.

Oivind
--
Oivind Toien   <oivindt@ulrik.uio.no>
Div. of General Physiology, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Oslo

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 1991 16:11 CST
From: Peter Scott <SCOTTP@sask.usask.ca>
Subject: HYTELNET uploaded to Simtel20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.hypertext>
HYTELNET.ZIP    Hypertext browser for finding Telnet addresses

HYTELNET is a pop-up, memory-resident, hypertext browser, which enables
a user connected to a VAX via a PC to get instant access to all known
Telnet sites. HYTELNET can be fully customized: you can easily create
screens for new addresses, or edit existing screens. Very simple to
operate. Load it from its own directory before running your
communications program. Invoke it with Control-Backspace. Pop it back
with ESC. Remove from memory with ALT-T.

  |                    Peter Scott  .  Phone:    306-966-6016         |
  |             Order Unit Manager  .  FAX:      306-966-6040         |
  | Univ of Saskatchewan Libraries  .  ENVOY100: PA.SCOTT             |
  |                      Saskatoon  .  Internet: SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA |
  |   Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OWO  .  an682@cleveland.freenet.edu    |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 07:43:21 -0500
From: kds@PHY.DUKE.EDU (Kevin Stokes)
Subject: IM17.ZIP - C/E/VGA/Herc 3D stars scrn saver w/visual eff.

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.screen>
IM17.ZIP        C/E/VGA/Herc 3D stars scrn saver w/visual eff.

  InnerMission is a screen saver program which creates a relaxing three
dimensional display of stars floating past.   There are special effects
including hyperspace, and user-typed messages floating past in the
stars.  IM can be run as a TSR which will popup automatically, or run
manually as a regular DOS program.  There are over 20 options to govern
the action IM takes as a screen saver (IE HotKeys, autopopup).  IM can
be set to watch for activity on the COM ports, LPT ports, and mouse.

  IM uses 19k of DOS ram, and is not compatible with Windows, QEMM, and
Deskview.  IM is a shareware program which will requires
reconfiguration (Takes about 2 min.) every seven days unless it is
registered for $5.00.

Kevin Stokes
kds@phy.duke.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #33