Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 17 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  34

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          EXE/COM compressors
                   PS/2 Model 50 Fixed Disk Upgrades

Today's Queries:
                      Some Disk Related Questions
                        data error, track 0 bad
                         Disk Drive controller
             needed: emulator for 80387, internal routines
                                  SQZ

New Uploads:
      CLNFIL22.ZIP - Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space
      CRLF141.ZIP - Adds/removes line feeds (convert Unix<-->DOS)
      E2A141.ZIP - Fast, flexible EBCDIC <--> ASCII/ISO converter
          ET3BGI.ZIP - BGI driver for Tseng ET3000 SVGA cards
      INDEX15.ZIP - TP4-6: Indexed files, encryption & file maint.
        MOU.ZIP - MS-C & Turbo-C mouse routines with TRUE cursor
         Point Editor v2.0 (PD) w/C source uploaded to SIMTEL20
             SVGABG17.ZIP - Multi-mode SuperVGA BGI driver

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 07:15:01 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: EXE/COM compressors

Hi,

   Mr. Dickford Cohn has an excellent article comparing different
EXE/COM compressors. (The article is available from simtel as
pd:<msdos.filutl>compfile.zip)

   I'd like to add some observations:

   1) There are other EXE/COM compressors other than the eight
mentioned in Mr. Cohn's article. I have seen SCRNCH, ICE and CRUNCH.
And I've heard of SPMAKER, Cubit. They are probably outdated, the
performance can't match their modern counter parts. But I'm interested
in those mainly because I'm afraid of virus attack. I would be nice if
virus scanner can scan into these compressed program. Or at least file
type checkers will recognize these formats and alert our attention.
(Better if I have decompressors.)

   2) Diet probably will not compress overlayed EXE if the EXE file
header has info about the overlay. But unfortunately many overlayed EXE
will not have info there, but simply the load image size is different
from the disk file size. Diet might view that as debug info and thus go
ahead compress them. (which is disaster).

   3) PKlite can compress overlayed file and the compressed file will
run correctly as long as the overlayed part is not addressed
absolutely.  So tell PKlite never to compress a overlayed file is not a
good switch.  (Anyway that size discrepency might be debug info).

   4) LZEXE, PKlite and Diet probably use some different scheme. One
thing: PKlite and Diet will benifit from HdrOpt, sometime it's crucial.
But HrdOpt will have no effect to LZEXE.  Diet use overlays extensively
in the compressed file, while LZEXE and PKlite use none. So the load
image of Dieted file is very small.  After use EXEMOD to patch LZEXEd
file and PKlited file, the memory requirment (minimum) is more
realistic in LZEXEd file. In PKlited file, the minimum memory required
is close to the compressed disk file size.  In LZEXEd file, that figure
is much larger that that, but close to the original uncompressed file
size (which should be).

   Thanks.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 91 11:11:29 EST
From: Bob Fletcher <BOBF@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: PS/2 Model 50 Fixed Disk Upgrades

In researching possible fixed disk upgrades for a PS/2 Model 30 286 I
have come across this tidbit about the model 50. It now appears that
you can purchase from IBM (or IBM dealer) the 60Mb internal drive (P/N
6450606) for the model 50-021. In previous editions of the IBM Sales
Advisor I haven't seen this as being an option. I haven't investigated
any 3rd party options as yet. Hope this is useful to you.

Bob Fletcher
BOBF@BROWNVM.BITNET
BOBF@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 15:20:44 CET
From: OVE HAGSET <SIV87003%NOBIVM.BITNET@SEARN.SUNET.SE>
Subject: Some Disk Related Questions

1. Do anyone out there have any experience with the Perstor
controllers?  I am interested in both positive and negative inputs.  I
have heard some rumors about problems with disk-tools, any coments?

2. Do anyone know of any disk-controllers that can handle at least
MFM, RLL and IDE encoded disks (on one controller)?

3. Do anyone have any experience with floppy-disks with 20 Mb of
storage?  Is there a "standard"?

As you might already have suspected, I am out of space on my 40 Mb MFM
drive.  I have space for and a free connection for another half-height
MFM drive.  I have not seen a larger half-height MFM drive than 50 Mb.
If I were to buy another MFM drive, I will be prevented for later
expansion.  I am also almost out of free card-slots.  I would prefer
to reserve the two I have left for a memory-board and a multi-port
board.  Alternative 3 will steal a card-slot, alternative 2 will
give me a wider choice of drives (with more storage).  Alternative
1 will double my disk, and replace the controller I got now.

I will be thankfull for any thougts and knowledge provided me.

Ove M. Hagset
Student, Norwegian School of Management

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Feb 91 12:49:06 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: data error, track 0 bad

What can I do when I get a "data error reading drive a"? Seems like
thats the boot track, and it went bad. I can't even reformat the floppy
because I get a "Invalid media or track 0 bad" error. (Tried to
reformat using DOS.) How can I fix this? Will I have to throw the disk
away?

BTW, I don't have Norton Utilities, but would it help?

Chuck R.      bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA
"Know whut I mean, Vern?" ;) ;) --> --> (wink wink, nudge nudge)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 13:34:55 MET
From: wolf@grasp2.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel)
Subject: Disk Drive controller

Can somebody who knows well about the different available disk
controller, their performances, CPU overhead, ... make us a small
resume of their caracteristics?  (another possibility of asking this
would have been: why is my SCSI hard disk so slow, even less than an
IDE).

Christophe Wolfhugel (on irc: Zolf)   |  Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA Lyon - Departement Informatique  |  IRC'admin at node grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
69621 Villeurbanne Cedex, France      |  Fax: (+33) 88 68 11 84

------------------------------

Date: 11 Feb 91 17:32:35 GMT
From: stoemmer@ss0.informatik.tu-muenchen.de.de (Peter Stoemmer)
Subject: help needed : emulator for 80387,internal routines

I am concerned with writing an emulator for the 80387 but I needed the
internal routines used to compute the more complex functions like FCOS,
FATAN ....

Could anybody give me some hints on the internals of the 80387 ?  I
think  Intel did not publish anything in that direction, but any
second-party algorithms, artics or books are greatly appreciated.

Peter Stoemmer              stoemmer@srv.cip.physik.tu-muenchen.de
TU-Muenchen
Germany

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Feb 91 10:11:31 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: SQZ

A recent note mentioned various compress files in <MSDOS.SQ-USQ>.  I
have two related questions:

     1)  The version of COMPRESS (by Don) called COMP430D is missing
it's C source file.  This is true of the one at SIMTEL and also true of
the one on our local BBS.  The file COMPRESS.C at SIMTEL is the prior
version by "Joe" and does not have the fixes by "Don".

Is anyone aware of the location of the C Source by Don?

      2)  One of the files was squeezed.  It was called COMPRESS.TQT.
I found NUSQ110.COM and NUSQ110.DQC in the directory which were to help
unsqueeze files.  However,  although the arc and zip files all got to
my PC fine, the NUSQ110.COM crashes on both my AT and XT.  Further, I
am unable to real NUSQ110.DQC with two other unsqueeze programs I have
(ALUSQ11.ZIP and SQZ-SRC.ZIP).

Soooo.  Anyone know where the source to COMP430D is? and has anyone
been able to get NUSQ110 to work?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 20:58:55 CET
From: Klaus Hartnegg <HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: CLNFIL22.ZIP - Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
CLNFIL22.ZIP    Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space

CleanFile ensures that you don't inadvently publish confidential data
when giving away files on diskettes:

Every time DOS writes a file it fills up the last used cluster with
some randomly collected data.  CleanFile wipes out this unused data
space without affecting the file itself.

This is a new version with some more options:
  /r           recurse into subdirectories
  /hid         include hidden files
  /sys         include system files
  /d<date>     only files with given or newer date
  /today       only files that have changed today
  /x<filename> eXclude file(s) from cleaning
  /s           simulate, do NOT clean any files

Klaus Hartnegg
HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 21:01:30 CET
From: Klaus Hartnegg <HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: CRLF141.ZIP - Adds/removes line feeds (convert Unix<-->DOS)

I have uploaded an updated version of my CRLF program to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
CRLF141.ZIP     Adds/removes line feeds (convert Unix<-->DOS)

CRLF is a filter for text-files. It will ensure that each line of the
file ends correctly with CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed). It
will work regardless whether the input file contains CR's only, LF's
only or both intermixed or already is correct.

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 91 21:00:40 CET
From: Klaus Hartnegg <HAKL%DFRRUF1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: E2A141.ZIP - Fast, flexible EBCDIC <--> ASCII/ISO converter

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
E2A141.ZIP      Fast, flexible EBCDIC <--> ASCII/ISO converter

Much improved version of my EBCDIC to ASCII converter. It can now
convert in both directions.

New feature: the translation table is now completely user-definable.
This means E2A is no longer only a EBCDIC to ASCII converter but it can
now convert whatever you want.

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 11:06:49 MEZ
From: "Thomas Greve, PI Bonn" <UNP072%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: ET3BGI.ZIP - BGI driver for Tseng ET3000 SVGA cards

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.borland>
ET3BGI.ZIP      BGI driver for Tseng ET3000 SVGA cards

This driver has two interesting features:

   - built in patterns are 16x16 pixel
   - uses 8x16 font from your VGA ROM

Thomas Greve
UNP072%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 10:56:51 EST
From: Thomas Jenkins <C0361@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU>
Subject: INDEX15.ZIP - TP4-6: Indexed files, encryption & file maint.

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 an updated version of my indexed file unit
for Turbo Pascal ver 4.0-6.0.

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
INDEX15.ZIP     TP4-6: Indexed files, encryption & file maint.

This archive includes 3 Turbo Pascal UNITS.  One for encryption -
record by record, another for maintaining indexed files.  User supplies
index, the unit handles the reset.  And last, a record maintanence unit
that allows records to be inserted or deleted from a file.

The new unit includes (finally) a delete procedure!  Also, I've removed
the temporary index file and just make direct inserts (or deletes) to
it.  This GREATLY increases the speed of WriteIndexed.  Also included
is the same encryption unit and a new one as well.  The new unit,
Files, only has one purpose in life - to insert/delete records of any
size to/from files.  There is a READ.ME file in the ZIP file that
explains the use of the units and each PROCEDURE, FUNCTION, TYPE and
VARIABLE.  There are also four example programs included to show (VERY
simply) how to use the UNITs.

Thomas Jenkins
<C0361@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 09:54:35 PST
From: cthulhu@ARKHAM.WIMSEY.BC.CA (Jono Moore)
Subject: MOU.ZIP - MS-C & Turbo-C mouse routines with TRUE cursor

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.mouse>
MOU.ZIP         MS-C & Turbo-C mouse routines with TRUE cursor

            Turbo and Microsoft C Mouse Routines - Release 1.0

                               Tue Jan 8, 1991.

1. What do these routines do?
-----------------------------

These routines will allow you to interface with the mouse driver in
your programs.  It works with Microsoft compatible mouse drivers (i.e.
Logitech, PC Mouse, Dexxa, etc).  The routines have the added feature
of displaying a 'true' mouse cursor in text mode on an EGA or VGA by
reprograming the font on the fly.

The routines consist of several functions used to initialize, draw the
cursor, and get mouse events (button presses).

These routines do not handle drawing the mouse cursor in graphics mode,
only text mode.  If the routines detect the presense of an EGA/VGA
adapter, it will use the 'true' mouse cursor, if not it will use a
simple block cursor implemented by switch the foreground/background
colors of the position the cursor is.

Jono Moore
jono@{arkham.uucp|arkham.wimsey.bc.ca}
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!arkham!jono

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Feb 91 03:32:01 CST
From: Tim Tsai <it1@RA.MSSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Point Editor v2.0 (PD) w/C source uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.editor>
PT20PC.ZIP      Point Editor v2.0 (PD). C src and executables
PT20MAN.ZIP     Manual for Point Editor v2.0 (TeX/PostScript)

This editor used to be bundled with the Logitech Mouse.  It uses the
mouse extensively, is highly configurable, and (I think) will edit
files of any size.  It can also edit binary files.  The author has
placed the source/executable in the public domain.

Tim Tsai <it1@Ra.MsState.Edu>

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  9 Feb 91 16:46:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Jordan Powell Hargrave <jh5y+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Subject: SVGABG17.ZIP - Multi-mode SuperVGA BGI driver

I have uploaded the latest version of my SuperVGA BGI driver to
SIMTEL20.

pd1:<msdos.borland>
SVGABG17.ZIP    Multi-mode SuperVGA BGI driver

I have fixed several bugs from the previous version, as well as added
new modes.

   Jordan Hargrave <jh5y+@andrew.cmu.edu>
   Carnegie Mellon University

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #34