Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.mil ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/24/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 18 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  37

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Administrivia - Submission Policies
                       Equals Sign in Batch Files
       Binary Kermit File Transfers VAX to PC (V91 #29) (4 msgs)
              Memory usage of Device drivers in Config.sys
                      PS viewer, HPGL to LaserJet
                VGA Card ET-4000 Tseng Labs help wanted

Today's Queries:
                       emTeX/dvidrv/dviscr fonts
                          IBM Keyboard specs?
           Roland DXY 1100 Plotter and CorelDraw with Windows
           Problems with ProCommPlus - where do I send them?
                         Reading a Foreign Disk
                         scanman 256 software?
                                Unix(s)

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tuesday, 19 Feb 1991 12:47 GMT+1
From Gregory Hicks <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Administrivia - Submission Policies

I've been burned once again.  I let slip a request for information on
a 'copy protection' scheme.  You would not believe how incensed people
can become when discussing ('cussing??) this topic.  Therefore at the
risk of sounding mundane, I'd like to reiterate the submission policy
for the Digest.

From the message that is sent to all persons requesting that I sign
them up to the Digest:

All messages regarding hardware and software for IBM PCs, PC and
compatibles are welcomed; messages on other topics will not be run.  In
addition, two topics are taboo and are routinely edited out: (1) self
promotion of products for sale, and (2) anything about copy protection.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 14 Feb 1991 15:20:02 EST
From: m14051@mwvm.mitre.org (John DeCarlo)
Subject: Equals Sign in Batch Files

>Assume the DOS command is
>        printarg name=joe file=sample1

>Output as expected was

>        0 - C:\DEV\PRINTARG.EXE  1 - name=joe  2 - file=sample1

>Using a batch file of the form 'printarg %1 %2' produced this

>        0 - C:\DEV\PRINTARG.EXE  1 - name  2-joe  3 - file 4 -
>sample1

>Can anyone suggest what the DOS batch file processor has done
>with my equal signs and why!  It doesn't seem to treat other
>codes like this.

My DOS manual (PC-DOS 3.3) has a section on DOS Commands.  In the
introductory material, under "Information Common to All DOS Commands"
is the following paragraph:

   Commands and parameters *must* be separated by delimiters
   (space, comma, semicolon, equal sign, or the tab key).  The
   delimiters can be different within one command. ...

So what you saw from the DOS batch file was the way DOS is supposed to
work.

However, I have seen many language compilers take the whole command
line and parse it themselves, not necessarily the way DOS does (as you
saw).

Internet: jdecarlo@mitre.org
Usenet:   @...@!uunet!hadron!blkcat!109!131!John_Decarlo
Fidonet:  1:109/131

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 91 16:33:00 CST
From: "SACLMR" <saclmr@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: Binary Kermit File Transfers VAX to PC (V91 #29)

>Date: Fri, 25 Jan 1991 16:32:28 EST
>From: garber@aru.dom.uab.edu

>I am trying to transfer binary files between a MicroVAX and a PC with
>little success.  The kermit version on the VAX is 3.3.126, and on the
>PC is 3.01.  I start kermit on the PC using LAT (and DECNet), log onto
>the VAX, start kermit on the VAX, type "set file type binary", type
>"server", alt-x back to the PC, type "get <filename>", and the file
>downloads.  I have also tried typing "set file type binary" on the PC
>side as well.  The transfered file has a larger file size, and won't
>run.  It appears to have some material added to the end to the file.
>What am I doing wrong?

One possibility - I noticed a packet size negotiation problem with
Kermit-32 3.3.126.  If the PC Kermit attempts to negotiate a 2K packet
size, the VAX's Kermit will accept this and then bomb out during
transfers.  You might try "SET SEND PACKET 1000" and "SET RECEIVE
PACKET 1000" at both ends.

Regards,
Jim Fregin

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 12:33:41 EST
From: garber@aru.dom.uab.edu
Subject: kermit binary file transfers VAX to PC (V91 #29)

Re: my previous message regarding problems transferring binary files
from the VAX to the PC.  I've gotten a number of responses, none of
which work.  Let me go over again the problem, and summarize the

Using DEC's Pathworks network, I've copied a binary file to my VAX
directory.  For testing purposes, I've used TED.COM, a tiny editor
(size=2984).  I log into the VAX using mskermit version 3.01.  I start
kermit on the VAX (version 3.3.126), type "set file type binary", type
"server", get back to the mskermit, type "set file type binary", type
"get ted.com".  The file transfers, but now has a file size of 3065,
and will not run (in fact, it locks up the system).

Suggested fixes:

From Joel Gallun and Roman Olynyk: Try setting FILE TYPE FIXED on the
VAX and FILE TYPE BINARY on the PC.  Result: file size 3065.

From A. Whittaker:  Set parity even on both ends, as mentioned in a
.bwr file which comes with the mskermit 3.01 docs.  Result: file size
3065.

Combinations of the above advice:

Parity set none:
VAX set binary, PC set binary: file size 3065
VAX set fixed, PC set binary:  file size 3065
Parity set even:
VAX set binary, PC set binary: file size 3065
VAX set fixed, PC set binary:  file size 3065

I suspect something else needs to be set properly on the VAX side,
since I used to be able to transfer binary files (a year or so ago),
but neither the VAX system manager or I have any idea what it is.

David W. Garber (garber@aru.dom.uab.edu)
Assistant Professor of Medicine

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 10:34:06 edt
From: "Newcomer, Don" <NEWCOMER%DICKINSN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

garber@aru.dom.uab.edu writes:

>I am trying to transfer binary files between a MicroVAX and a PC with
>little success.  The kermit version on the VAX is 3.3.126, and on the
>PC is 3.01.  I start kermit on the PC using LAT (and DECNet), log onto
>the VAX, start kermit on the VAX, type "set file type binary", type
>"server", alt-x back to the PC, type "get <filename>", and the file
>downloads.  I have also tried typing "set file type binary" on the PC
>side as well.  The transfered file has a larger file size, and won't
>run.  It appears to have some material added to the end to the file.
>What am I doing wrong?

I have done this with files I've received over Bitnet.  We're running
Joiner's JNET software.  I do a RECEIVE/BINARY to get the file in
binary format.  That's just FYI since I'm assuming you're on the
Internet.  After that I do a CONVERT/FDL on the file to change to a
sequential, variable-length record file.  Here's what the FDL file
looks like:

IDENT   "14-MAR-1988 16:54:16   VAX-11 FDL Editor"

SYSTEM
        SOURCE                  VAX/VMS

FILE
        ALLOCATION              0
        BEST_TRY_CONTIGUOUS     yes
        EXTENSION               0
        ORGANIZATION            sequential

RECORD
        BLOCK_SPAN              yes
        CARRIAGE_CONTROL        none
        FORMAT                  variable
        SIZE                    0

After that you can go on with your binary Kermit transfers and it
should work fine.  If you don't do the conversion, it won't work.  Good
luck!

                                        Don Newcomer
                                        NEWCOMER@DICKINSN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 22:46:08 IST
From: "Jacques J. Goldberg" <PHR00JG%TECHNION@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Kermit binary file transfer VAX to PC (V91 #29)

You DO WANT to set BOTH Kermits in EVEN parity or it will go on
failing.

I repeat, you may set the ports on both machines as 8 bits no parity,
but you STILL ****MUST**** run both Kermits in EVEN (or maybe ODD, I
always use EVEN) software parity.

I lost one month trying to transfer such binary files (TeX raster
fonts) until Nelson Beebe from Utah told me to use EVEN parity. And I
did not trust him ... until after I had tried.

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 14 Feb 1991 15:19:08 EST
From: m14051@mwvm.mitre.org (John DeCarlo)
Subject: Memory usage of Device drivers in Config.sys

>From: Jhinuk Chowdhury <FF76%UNTVM1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

>I am looking for a (shareware/public domain) utility that can
>list the names of the device drivers loaded from CONFIG.SYS and
>report the amount of memory occupied by each of the device
>drivers.

Qualitas Inc., makers of commercial programs 386MAX, BLUEMAX, and
others, has released a free program called ASQ (I used version 1.20
recently).

In order to point out how well their memory management software will
help you, ASQ includes tutorials on memory management and provides a
full report of your system in more than sufficient detail, including of
course all the device drivers, their location in memory, the amount of
memory they use, etc.

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 1991 08:48:35 EST
From: bomr@erich.triumf.ca (Rod Nussbaumer)
Subject: PS viewer, HPGL to LaserJet

>   I am looking for a program that will let you view postscript
>formatted files before they are sent to the printer...  If anyone knows
>of such a program (shareware or not) respond to my account or post a
>message on this board...

There is a shareware package called Ghostscript available on Simtel20.
The last time I checked it was at version 1.3 on Simtel20, but there is
apparently a version 2.0 in existance, somewhere.  I tried it once, and
it was OKay, but not everything I had hoped for.  As a simple viewer it
should be fine.

>Subject: HP plotter output to a LJIII

>My brother recently got a HP LJIII and would like to use it to print
>some plotter output.  He didn't tell me the name of the program, other
>than it requires the use of one of the following plotters:  HP 7470A,
>HP 7475A, HP 7550A, HP (?)) ColorPro or an Epson Hi80.  Does anyone
>know of a device driver, font cart. or other approach that he might
>use?  If you respond to me directly, I will post a summary.

Try Print-a-Plot from Insight Development, and marketed by HP, I think.
Swallows up HPGL and other files, and sends them to raster style
printers.  Does a better job than AutoCAD, for printing to LaserJets.

	Rod Nussbaumer,        TRIUMF --- University of British Columbia
	Programmer/Tech        Vancouver, BC, Canada
	bomr@erich.triumf.ca   BITNET: BOMR@TRIUMFER    ph(604)222-1047

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:33:05 MEZ
From: Thomas <UNP072%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: VGA Card ET-4000 Tseng Labs help wanted

On Fri, 15 Feb 91 00:46:30 +0100 <P7MAI016@FRCIRP81> said:

>I recently brought a SuperVGA card, called Rainbow. In fact it is a
>Tseng Labs ET-4000 Chips based, pretty good with 1 MB of Video mem. It
>runs fine and fast.  I got the VESA driver for ORCHID card (ET-3000 &
>ET-4000 cards). It doesn't run in any way. I have the source of the C&T
>452 card and I want to modify it in_n order to run the driver. Does
>anyone know if (and maybe where) I can find very technical info
>(registers, extended registers, page mode, and so on) on Tseng Labs
>ET-4000 Chip ?

All you need to know for programming the usual stuff (points, lines,
patterns) is how to bank-switch this card. Colors and patterns/bitmaps
are set as usual since in good old EGA times...

Bankswitching goes like this: 3cdh is the bank switching register, the
lower nibble selects the writing bank, the upper nibble selects the
reading bank.  (This has changed since ET3K!) Even if you use
1024*768*16 mode, only the 0A000h-segment is being used. You have to
switch to bank 1 to reach the lower third of the screen. Any x*y*256
mode is being programmed as true-blue-VGA + bankswitching as above.

>I heard of a Technical Manual from Tseng but in France there
>is no manufacturer who have it (or ever seen it !!). Maybe an address in USA ?
>Or maybe someone could send me a VESA driver ?

There is a technical manual available in Germany, but it's anything
else but free. It about 80DM (>50 US-$).

                                       - Thomas

PS: what is a VESA driver? What do you need it for?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 03:44:23 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: emTeX/dvidrv/dviscr fonts

Hi,

   Can I rename the fonts files to other extensions instead of .pk, say
cmbx10.300 (means 300dpi)? In that way I can put the same font files of
different files in one directory. (Actually I download fonts from Unix
machines and this will save me renaming the files and move to specific
directories). How to specify that to dviscr?

   Thanks a lot.
Jun

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 17:21:58 CST
From: "Who, me?" <S1CH%SDSUMUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: IBM Keyboard specs?

Can anyone direct me to a source of info on the IBM PC keyboards?  I'm
looking for info on the pinout and signals (levels, timing, etc.).  I'm
working on a senior design project, and I would like to be able to hook
an IBM PC-compatible keyboard to it. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

|Brian Piersel                                              |
|BITNET:    S1CH@SDSUMUS            ICBM: 96.50W 44.20N     |
|BITNET:    SBPK09@SDNET                                    |

------------------------------

Date: 15 Feb 91 10:57 -0800
From: Rick Gee <gee@admin.okanagan.bc.ca>
Subject: Roland DXY 1100 Plotter and CorelDraw with Windows

   I am trying to use a Roland DXY 1100 plotter with CorelDraw, running
under Windows 3.0. There is no Roland plotter driver for Windows nor is
there one available from Roland. None of the HP drivers appears to
work. Has anyone been able to get this plotter working with this
software? (It is running on a 386SX if that matters. The computer and
plotter are connected via a parallel port.) The best that we have been
able to do is to get the plotter head to move but it does not pick up
the pens nor does it attempt to plot.

   Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:46 MET
From: "Jim Groeneveld" <GROENEVELD%NIPG.TNO.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Problems with ProCommPlus - where do I send them?

Who can point me some list or whatever where I can report my questions
regarding ProCommPlus. I have some problems with the Aspect language
and wish to discuss them with other sophisticated users.

Regards - Jim Groeneveld.
E-mail: GROENEVELD@NIPG.TNO.NL (internet address)
File xfer: GROENEVELD@HDETNO51.BITNET (EARN address)
NIPG-TNO [postal/visiting address] | Y. Groeneveld
P.O.Box 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet
Nederland (NL) | (+31|0)71-178810  | 03412-60413
[office]     Fax (+31|0)71-176382  | [home]
P.S. '~NO' in my address above must be 'TNO'.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 11:21:00 EST
From: "Bruce B. Harper" <BHARPER@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Reading a Foreign Disk

   I have a request from a secretary who was assigned a project by her
boss.  He has a large document that was done on a Xerox Memorywriter
and he wants to make revisions.  The document is stored on a 5-1/4 inch
floppy and the person who did the document is long-gone, along with her
Memorywriter.

   I have no idea of what type of format this disk is in, but I would
like some advice on any possible ways to proceed.  Can this disk be
read on another floppy drive?  If we manage to find a Memorywriter, is
there a way to copy or transfer this document to a PC so it can be
worked on with another word processor (i.e., can a relatively clean
file be created that could be massaged using KEDIT or some other ASCII
word processor to remove any extraneous codes)?  Or is the best best to
start over and re-key or scan the paper document and go from there?
Thanks for any help.  Bruce

  Administrative Display System      Bruce B. Harper, Manager
  1601 South Main Street
  Virginia Tech,  Blacksburg, Virginia  24061-0522
  (703)231-4360
  BHARPER@VTVM1 (BITNET) or BHARPER@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Internet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:00:38 EST
From: "Mark Bramwell" <Mark@Hamster.Business.UWO.CA>
Subject: scanman 256 software?

I recently purchased a scanman 256.  It came with Windows based Ansel
software.  I hate windows.  Too slow, too big, and it crashes too much
on network machines.  Is there DOS based software available?  Also,
WordPerfect 5.1 would not read the .TIF .PCX or .IMG files.  Is there
something that will convert the scanman files into something
wordperfect can read? If I use the scanner in line art mode, then all
is ok, but line art mode is BAD!

My main purpose of the scanner is to scan logos, and OCR.

Mark Bramwell, VE3PZR                Located in sunny London, Ontario

Internet: mark@hamster.business.uwo.ca  IP Address: 129.100.22.100
  Packet:  VE3PZR @ VE3GYQ               UWO Phone: (519) 661-3714

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 15:15:27 EST
From: labdg@unix.cc.emory.edu (Diego)
Subject: Unix(s)

	I'd like to fool around with a Unix system on my 386 machines, but
don't know much about what's out there.  I've heard, of course, of the
newish "clone" selling at around $100 and also of GNU, though last I
checked they hadn't completed the clone shell yet.  If anyone would be
kind enough to reply, I'm interested in Unix for experimentation,
programming, and fun, not a serious thousands+++ system.  Essentially,
any information on cheap Unix(s) would be helpful!  If interest
warrants, I'd be happy to summarize response for IBM-PC list.

-Diego (labdg@unix.cc.emory.edu)

[There is an article in the January '91 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal
discussing the porting of BSD Unix to the '386.  The project is named,
appropriately enough, 386BSD and was started during the summer of
1989.  From the article

   "... Those of you who can meet University of California requirements
    should obtain a copy of 386BSD from the University of California..."

No further details were given.  gph]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #37
-------