Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.mil ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (02/24/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 19 Feb 91       Volume 91 : Issue  38

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                       DOS4.1 and Two fixed disks
           Motorola Part for a Mono Samsung Monitor (V91 #30)
                      Postscript Viewer (V91 #29)

Today's Queries:
                        Finite Element Analysis
                        Remote Access BBS Wanted
                      QMS 800+ printer in H-P mode
                     Two displays from one computer
                      Wyse 700 driver for DESQview
            Designing Fonts Similar to Borlands Pascal or C

New Uploads and Stuff:
                MS-DOS anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20
           Quick reference list of SIMTEL20 msdos directories
                    Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 1991 20:24 EST
From: SNOW@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: DOS4.1 and Two fixed disks

>Date: 2 Feb 91 03:31:59 GMT
>From: dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett)

>In digest Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>>I found out that the drive letters are assigned in the following
>>sequence:
>> [sequence deleted]

>     Hmmm.  MS-DOS 4.01 refers to the two partitions on my first drive
>as C: and D:, and the two partitions on my second drive as E: and F:,
>just as 3.30 did.  That doesn't seem to follow the rule listed
>above....

I use PC-DOS 3.30, and I've found that it's possible to get D: and E:
on the first drive, and F: and G: on the second, and it's also possible
to get D: and F: on the first drive, and E: and G: on the second.  (For
me, C: is a floppy drive.  I won't go into the difficulty I have with
brain-damaged programs which assume that my hard disk is drive C.  Let
me just say that if you've written such a program, I'll find you and...)

The trick is that all standard DOS partitions are assigned letters
before any logical drives in extended DOS partitions.  If I create a
standard 32MB partition on my first drive, and a 32MB extended
partition (with one 32MB logical drive within,) and a standard 32MB
partition on my second drive, and a 10MB extended partition (with one
10MB logical drive within,) I get D: and F: on the first drive, and E:
and G: on the second.  If I change the second drive to contain a single
42MB extended partition (divided into a 32MB logical drive, and a 10MB
logical drive,) I get D: and E: on the first drive, and F: and G: on
the second.

-ken

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 19:51:37 EST
From: Robert Kershaw <EN427000@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Motorola Part for a Mono Samsung Monitor (V91 #30)

Motorola BU806=ECG2315
NPN Si, Darlington w/damper diode,
HV Hi Speed Sw, Tf=.2 micro sec typical.
Collector-base volts 400, collector-emitter volts 200,
Base-emitter volts 6, Max. collector current 8 amps, max. device
dissipation 6 0 watts, currentgain 100 minimum, TO220 case.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 10:51:38 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Postscript Viewer (V91 #29)

The inquiry in Digest #29 was looking for a way to view postscript
files prior to printing.  Since Postscript is a high level language
this is about 8/10 of building a postscript printer.

There is a new product out by Inset Systems called HiJaak PS which
claims it will convert Postscript output to a 200 dpi file compatible
with 10 fax formats (presumably meaning at least one is PCX).  So you
can use this program to produce a bit image file that you can then view
using any number of viewers.

The discount price for the product is $189 and I am in no way
affiliated with Inset Systems

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 20:54:21 mst
From: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org (David Dodell)
Subject: Finite Element Analysis

I am looking for a program, either shareware or commercial, that can do
"Finite Element Analysis" ... does anyone have any recommendations.

Thank you.
David

          St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona
        uucp: {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
    Bitnet: ATW1H @ ASUACAD                    FidoNet=> 1:114/15
    Internet: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org       FAX: +1 (602) 451-1165

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 20:47 EDT
From: David Hart <HART53%SNYPOTVA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Remote Access BBS System Wanted

Hello. I am interested in obtaining a copy of the Remote Access
bulletin board system from somewhere using FTP.  But I haven't been
able to find it. If anyone knows where I can find a copy, please drop
me a note.

Thanks!

        David Hart (HART53@SNYPOTVA.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 07:41:53 IST
From: Lew Golan <LEW@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: QMS 800+ printer in H-P mode

Is anyone using a QMS 800+ printer in H-P emulation mode with
downloadable fonts?

The question is not whether it's possible -- but whether YOU are
actually doing it with this specific machine in this mode. My problem
is with downloadable fonts (not the built-in fonts).

Thanks.
Lew Golan
Tel Aviv University

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 13:53:00 EST
From: JIM <CLARK@UWPG02.UWinnipeg.CA>
Subject: Two displays from one computer

  A colleague doing psychological research would like to have one
monitor for subjects to watch, and a second for the experimenter. Any
suggestions about the easiest and cheapest way to achieve two identical
displays from one IBM machine would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim Clark

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 07:40:33 IST
From: Lew Golan <LEW@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Wyse 700 driver for DESQview

Does anyone have a Wyse 700 (Amdek 1280) driver for DESQview 386?

Lew Golan
Tel Aviv University

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 91 12:34:59 GMT
From: dupouey@nancy.inra.fr (Jean Luc Dupouey)

Does anyone know where I coulf find a Unix version of ARC/PKARC and
ZIP/PKZIP, or at least the C source code of these programs ?

------------------------------

Date: 29 January 91, 16:10:59 UPM
From: FACNELC@SAUPM00.BITNET
Subject: Designing Fonts Similar to Borlands Pascal or C

please, Does anyone have any information about the fonts that are
in borland products like pascal or C?

I want to design my own font that could be enlarged (stroked font) using
turbo C or pascal but I don't have any information about that...

some one told me that there is a utilitys exist in compuserv to do that
but since I'm in Saudi Arabia I have no mean to link to compuserv.  I'm
asking if the fond descriptions exist in a book or can anyone give me a
description of it?  If any one has this utility or information, please
send it to me either by mail or if possible via bitnet.

looking to hear from someone soon.....thanx bye.

mail:
fayez al-khaldi
KFUPM 7329
DHAHRAN 31261
SAUDI ARABIA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 1991  12:26 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: MS-DOS anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20

The following files were obtained from the McAfee BBS and uploaded to
SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
CLEAN74B.ZIP    Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
NETSCN74.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 217 viruses, v74
SCANV74B.ZIP    VirusScan, scans disk files for 217 viruses
VCOPY74.ZIP     Copy utility checks for viruses as it copies
VSHLD74B.ZIP    Resident virus infection prevention program

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 1991  00:20 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Quick reference list of SIMTEL20 msdos directories

Quick reference list of SIMTEL20's PD1:<MSDOS.x> directories
as of February 15, 1991 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

4DOS          COMPUTE-PC    GRAPHICS      PASCAL        STARLINK
ABC           CROSSASM      HAMRADIO      PC-JR         STARTER
ADA           CROSSREF      HANDICAP      PCMAG         STATISTICS
AIJOURNAL     DATABASE      HYPERTEXT     PCPURSUIT     SURFMODL
ALLCHARGE     DBASE         INFO          PCRESOURCE    SWAP
APL           DDJMAG        IRIT          PCTECH        SYSUTL
ARC-LBR       DESKACCESS    KA9Q-TCPIP    PCTECHNIQUES  TAXES
ARCNET-PCIP   DESKJET       KERMIT        PERL          TELEGARD
ASM-MAG       DESKPUB       KEYBOARD      PGMUTL        TELIX
ASMUTL        DESQVIEW      LAN           PIBTERM       TEX
AT            DIRUTL        LANTIMES      PILOT         TIFF
AUTOCAD       DISASM        LAPTOP        PLI           TROJAN-PRO
AWK           DSKUTL        LASER         PLOT          TURBO-C
BASIC         EDITOR        LEGAL         POSTSCRIPT    TURBOBAS
BATUTL        EDUCATION     LISP          PREPROCESS    TURBOPAS
BBS           EEL           LOGO          PRINTER       TXTUTL
BBSDOORS      EGA           LOTUS123      PROCOMM       UEMACS
BBSLISTS      EMULATORS     MAC           PRODIGY       UUCP
BIBLE         FIDO          MAPPING       PROGJOURN     VENTURA
BOOKS         FILEDOCS      MATH          PROLOG        VGA
BORLAND       FILUTL        MAX           QBASIC        VOICE
C             FINANCE       MENU          QEDIT         VOICEMAIL
CAD           FLOWCHART     MICROCORN     QMODEM        WINDOWS3
CALCULATOR    FORMGEN       MODEM         QPASCAL       WORDPERF
CASE          FORTH         MODULA2       RAMDISK       WORLDMAP
CATALOG       FORTRAN       MOUSE         RBBS-PC       X-10
CIS           FOSSIL        MSJOURNAL     SCREEN        XLISP
CITADEL       FREEMACS      MSWINDOWS     SMALL-C       XPC
CLIPPER       GENEALOGY     MUSIC         SMALLTALK     ZIP
CMPLNGMAG     GENIE         NCSATELNET    SNOBOL4       ZMODEM
CMU-PCIP      GIF           NETWORK       SPREADSHEET   ZOO
COBOL         GNUISH        OPUS          SPRINT
COMPATIBLES   GRAPH         PACKET        SQ-USQ

See PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME for details on
file directories and descriptions.

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 1991  00:08 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Recent msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

The following files have been recently uploaded to SIMTEL20:

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
ARJ100.ZIP    B  142610  910212  ARJ archiver has better comp. than ZIP & LHarc
RV235.ZIP     B   37139  910215  View & Un-SFX ARC/LZH/PAK/ZIP/ZOO archives

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BASIC>
UBAS821.ZIP   B  312601  910213  High precision math-oriented BASIC interpreter

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND>
SVGABG17.ZIP  B   44973  910209  Multi-mode SuperVGA BGI driver

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DATABASE>
CINVT52E.ZIP  B  121432  910213  Inventory pgm for tracking store stock/orders
IC31-1.ZIP    B  322654  910208  IN-CONTROL Prospect/Client/Customer Tracker1/2
IC31-2.ZIP    B  313285  910208  IN-CONTROL Prospect/Client/Customer Tracker2/2
SVCP30-1.ZIP  B  239195  910208  SERVICE PLUS Maint/Service call Tracker 1/2
SVCP30-2.ZIP  B  248894  910208  SERVICE PLUS Maint/Service call Tracker 2/2

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DDJMAG>
DDJ9102.ZIP   B  190237  910215  Dr. Dobbs Journal mag listings, Feb. 1991

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DESQVIEW>
DVTMAN13.ZIP  B   34907  910215  Auto event scheduler/task manager for DESQview
DVTREE21.ZIP  B  137688  910215  DESQview disk manager, dual directory display

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
ANAD204.ZIP   B  132111  910210  ANADISK v2.04, analyze/edit/copy disks, SYDEX
CLNFIL22.ZIP  B   25849  910209  Wipes out sensitive data in unused file space
HYDK420.ZIP   B  236844  910208  HyperDisk v4.20 disk cache system (shareware)

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>
PT20MAN.ZIP   B  198098  910209  Manual for Point Editor v2.0 (TeX/PostScript)
PT20PC.ZIP    B  266052  910209  Point Editor v2.0 (PD). C src and executables

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>
RMAN.ZIP      B   56459  910215  Learn French vocabulary hangman-like game, EGA

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
SIMIBM.ARC    B  241495  910215  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions
SIMIBM.IDX    A  533552  910215  SIMTEL20 MSDOS files listing with descriptions

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
VPIC35.ZIP    B   90535  910215  GIF/MAC/PCX/ColorRix pics view/convrt, EGA/VGA

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
IFP1S145.ZIP  B   68066  910213  TP & MASM source code for InfoPlus v1.45
INFOP145.ZIP  B   90781  910213  InfoPlus v1.45: 18 pages of system info
PIC10S01.ZIP  B  236792  910212  Baker's PC Industry Catalog (text ref), 1 of 2
PIC10S02.ZIP  B  199181  910212  Baker's PC Industry Catalog (text ref), 2 of 2

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KA9Q-TCPIP>
DRIVERS.ZIP   B  282607  910211  Clarkson packet drivers wo/src for KA9Q TCP/IP
DRIVERSS.ZIP  B  604367  910211  Clarkson packet drivers w/src for KA9Q TCP/IP
NAN24HYC.ZIP  B   42635  910214  Enhanced ANSI.SYS replacement for KA9Q TCP/IP
VIEW0207.ZIP  B  320436  910210  Electronic mail program for use w/KA9Q TCP/IP

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>
TMODM601.ZIP  B   45871  910215  TMODEM, fast file transfer protocol module

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PCMAG>
VOL10N04.ZIP  B   61847  910213  PcMag: CHEKCHEK,GRAPHICS,GRAYS,MBOOT,WHATCPU2

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.POSTSCRIPT>
DVIPS54.ZIP   B  321884  910213  Convert a TeX DVI file to PostScript, w/C src
DVIPSLIB.ZIP  B  349829  910213  Resident fonts for use with DVIPS

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
SIMTEL20.INF  A   14686  910211  Complete overview of the SIMTEL20 archives

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>
BOOTCOMP.ZIP  B   30720  910211  Use BIOS-ints to compare bootsector with saved

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTL>
CRLF141.ZIP   B   47351  910209  Adds/removes line feeds (convert Unix<-->DOS)
E2A141.ZIP    B   26304  910209  Fast, flexible EBCDIC <--> ASCII/ISO converter

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #38
-------