         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           Accessing MCI Mail
                    DART logic simulator at uwasa.fi
            dBASE -> C Translators (BASIC -> C translators)
                    Hard drive controllers (V91 #33)
             Request for info for a PC Based LAN (V91 #33)
                 Hard Drive Controllers (V91 #34, #33)
                          TeX viewer for VGA?
                        UnPacking Program wanted

Today's Queries:
                          connecting two pc's
                How to add form feed after Print-screen
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #31
                    Keeping track of Laserjet Usage
                          Philosophy Software
                          uuencoder under VMS
               FDISK to Partition HARDDISK > 4 Partitions
                        HG to WP .WPG conversion
                     'Slide Viewer' Program wanted

New Uploads:
                          Details of Scan 74-B

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 16:11 EDT
From: Danny Taub <DATAUB@vaxsar.vassar.edu>
Subject: Accessing MCI Mail

>You can get to/from MCIMail and Compuserve, but no-one has ever said
>how to get to/from GEnie.  gph

  How is it that one can send MCI Mail from the Internet?

  Danny Taub
  Dataub@Vassar.Bitnet
  Dataub@Vassar.Edu

[In order to send mail to users on MCI Mail, use one of the following
addresses:

    accountname@mcimail.com
         -or-
    mci_id@mcimail.com
         -or-
    full_user_name@mcimail.com

Users on MCI Mail can also send messages to the Internet.  At the "Command:"
prompt, type "create <return>".  Then the user performs the following:
(NOTE  the "TO:", "EMS:" and "MBX:" strings are prompts provided by
MCI Mail.

    Command:  create <return>
        TO:   Gregory Hicks
       EMS:   INTERNET
       MBX:   ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

This address is translated to:
    "Gregory Hicks" <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> by the Gateway.

Mail sent from MCI Mail to the Internet is charged by MCI Mail.

Hope this helps.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 91 10:08:14 EST
From: kenyee@ksr.com (Ken Yee)
Subject: DART logic simulator at uwasa.fi

I've ftp'd the DART simulator demo from Alex Marchuk onto the uwasa.fi
archive in Finland.  I had problems trying to upload to
plains.nodak.edu and simtel20 (no write permission).  This is probably
a FAQ, but how do you upload to these two places?

[Send a note to Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>.
Explain your program and why it should be uploaded.  However, Keith
accepts programs from authors only.  gph]

DART is a logic simulator that runs on 80x86 machines.  It does
transistor and switch level modeling.  I still haven't had time to play
with it a lot, but it seems to be fast on my 386sx.  This is from the
readme file:

I send DOS code and some files of logic simulator DART.  This is demo
in the sense of that there are some other parts of system that are
absent here, there is no full documentation (only brief one), there is
only language input for circuit description. Nevertheless it works and
can be used for real simulating.

Some moments:

- code is under DOS for 286, 386, for 8088 it must be recompiled, code
for other processors and systems also may be generated

- for graphics output (option -g) you need egavga.bgi

- DART is free (or public domain, I don't know exactly what it means)

- if some new features are needed it is possible to modify system

- all other parts of DART can be mailed if they are needed

- source code is available (DART is written in an extension of C and
can be combined with C, C++ programs)

- an interface program with OrCAD schematic editor with library can be
mailed additionary

    Alex Marchuk

Many thanks to Alex for putting something like this in the public
domain.

    Ken   (kenyee@ksr.com  or  uunet!ksr!kenyee)

------------------------------

Date: 12 Feb 91 12:35 +0200
From: Historia Moderna <hismod@CC.UNIZAR.es>
Subject: dBASE -> C Translators (BASIC -> C translators)

Some time ago I read about the existence of such lovely beasts like
dBASE to C translators ("dbxc" or something like this). Then I didn't
take note, but now, after browsing through old magazines I am unable to
find this info again.

If you have information about these translators (dBASE III/IV to C,
BASIC to C would also be fine) please let us know. Your experience with
this translators would also be precious.

Note that this could be a subject of general interest (programs written
in dBASE could be easily ported to C and thus to operating systems like
**IX...).

Thank you very much for your help. Greetings and best wishes from

  Antonio-Paulo Ubieto
  Biblioteconomia y Documentacion / Librarianship and Documentation
  Facultad de: / School of: "Filosofia y Letras"
  Zaragoza University (Spain-Europe)
  hismod@cc.unizar.es

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 1991 13:49:22 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Hard drive controllers (V91 #33)

>Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:20 CST
>From: EDENT%BSU.DECNET@MSUS1.bitnet

>RLL 64 megabyte Seagate drive with an IDE hard/floppy controller  ..

There ain't no such thing as an IDE controller,  the controller
functions are built into the drive,  so the motherboard slot connector
sees the same signals as an external controller / drive combo would
provide.  So you can't directly interface the drive to the little IDE
connector that connects from the motherboard slot to the ribbon cable,
but  you should be able to use your own RLL controller,  just like
always.   Make sure that the RLL controller has your drive on its
compatibility list.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 1991 14:06:06 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Request for info for a PC Based LAN (V91 #33)

>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 91 17:38 IST
>From: "S.M.SIDEEK" <SMS@tifrvax.bitnet>

>...how to
>connect 8 to 10 IBM PCs (XTs)in a network to control a particle
>accelerator

Not knowing how the accelerator - to - bus interface is designed, this
is an open suggestion.  The IEEE GP-IB bus was designed for this type
of application.  Up to 15 units can be connected, either computors or
instruments, all you need is a GP-IB card in each computer.  This is
expensive, since each computer needs to be running the software, have
it's own BP-IB card, etc.  at $400 per.  Plus whatever the acceleraor
needs in the way of hardware / software.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 10:33:43 pst
From: johnk@wrq.com
Subject: Hard Drive Controllers (V91 #34, #33)

The HyperStore 1600 will handle any type of drive you could throw at it
and all simultaneously.  This controller is of the caching variety,
allowing up to 20 MB of RAM for the cache and something like 50 GB of
mass storage attached.  The firm that makes these cards is located in
Texas and go by the name of Perceptive Solutions, Inc.

      jbk

John Kercheval -- 127 NW Bowdion Pl #105 -- Seattle, WA  98107-4960
Home(Voice): (206) 547-4676  --------  Work (Voice): (206) 324-0350

------------------------------

Date: 20 Feb 91 16:33:39 GMT
From: mskuhn@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Markus Kuhn)
Subject: TeX viewer for VGA?

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:
>  Any one recommand a good Tex DVI viewer for VGA (SVGA better)?

The DVI viewer that comes with emTeX is a very good implementation
(with graphics, antialiasing, ...).  I think, it may be configured for
all VGA modes if you know the mode number and the resolution.  Indeed,
the whole emTeX package is a quite complete and powerful public domain
TeX version for MS/DOS and OS/2. You can ftp it from several well known
TeX sites.

Markus Kuhn, Computer Science student
University of Erlangen, Germany

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 15:39:54 +0200
From: Petalidis Nikolaos 400 <petalid@csd.uch.gr>
Subject: UnPacking Program wanted

Hello everybody,
I am a new member of this list and I have read something about public
domain programs in directory <MSDOS.x> (address WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL)
I 've tried to get these programs and I managed it.

All I want to ask is where I can find the UNPACK program to uncompress
the ZIP and ARC files in these directories.

          Thanks in advance,
             Nick P.

[Take a look at the following files:

PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>
PK361.EXE             "Fast file ARC make/extract PKPAK/PKUNPAK v3.61"
PKARC.README          "Notes on PKARC/PKPAK archiving utility"
PKZ110EU.EXE          "Katz's ZIP archive package v1.10, export vers."

There are other library maintainers in this directory as well.
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 10:48 MET
From: Robin van der Kuil <KUIL%rulcri.LeidenUniv.nl@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: connecting two pc's

I'm looking for a program to connect two pc's together by through
serial ports. The intention is that when the program runs it will be
possible to use eachother hard drives. It is not neccesary that
programs on the other hard drive can be started up. It's only neccesary
to copy files from the one to the other. Does anyone know susch a
program. I prefer (of course :-) ) public domain.

Robin van der Kuil

Bitnet : KUIL@HLERUL5      Internet : Kuil@rulcri.LeidenUniv.nl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 19:25:46 GMT
From: kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck)
Subject: How to add form feed after Print-screen

We are using a graphics.com replacement called prtsc.com (from
wuarchive) to print vga graphics plots to our laserjet series II. The
program works quite well. It is activated by simply pressing
shift-print screen.

Unfortunately we are in a lab environment with 15 pc's on a PC-NFS
network and print jobs can really get bogged down because the user must
manually press the form-feed button on the printer. Is there a way to
append a form feed at the end of each print-screen?

 Karl Buck
 KSU Dept. of Mathematics               email: kxb@hilbert.math.ksu.edu
 Manhattan, Kansas 66506                voice: (913)532-6750

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 19:48:40 EST
From: Eric Shorr <AAW416@URIACC.URI.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #31

Hi,
 I have a friend who would like to find a program that converts TIFF
files to IFF or HAM. Those file formats are Amiga.

Thank You.  Eric

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  21 Feb 91 18:04 +0200
From: "Michael Shalev" <SHALEV%HUJIVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Keeping track of Laserjet Usage

How to Track Laserjet Usage?

I am setting up a couple of PCs for public use in a university
department. In order to control access to software I'm planning to use
a menu system (AUTOMENU?) that will allow access by password only. Our
real problem is however to limit, and keep track of, users' access to
the Laserjet. Our past experience has been that toners (which cost $200
apiece in this country!) get used up far more quickly than what could
be anticipated from users' reports of what they printed.  I know that
the Laserjet has some kind of internal "meter" since one can get it to
print out a record of the cumulative number of pages printed.  The
question is whether there's some software out there which knows how to
tap into this meter in such a way that one could record a "before" and
"after" count on disk, and thus keep a record of printer usage.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
...Michael

Michael Shalev, Sociology            : Internet (best!): SHALEV@vms.huji.ac.il
Hebrew University, 91905 Israel      : Bitnet: SHALEV@HUJIVMS
Home:972-2-414-160 Work:972-2-883-048: Fax: 972-2-322-545

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 11:56 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Philosophy Software

One of our professors is interested in software that pertains to the
History of Philosophy or beginning philosophy software for his students
to use.  Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

Terry Lewis
UT Martin
TLEWIS@UTKVX

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 02:53 EST
From: "Henry Jonker" <JONKERH%ENSFLM%sdi.polaroid.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: uuencoder under VMS

Desperately seeking: an uuencoder that runs under VMS (version 5.4).
Thanks in advance,

JONKERH@MR.POLAROID.COM
Henry Jonker
Polaroid (Europa) BV, Enschede, The Netherlands
Phone: ++31-53-821541

[If you have C, PASCAL, or Basic for VMS, take a look at the source
code available in PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>.  Versions are available and
probably only require minor tweaking to port.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 11:01:36 SST
From: Luther Chan <CCECHAN%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: FDISK to Partition HARDDISK > 4 Partitions

I would like to install several different Operating Systems on my 386PC
with ST1144 (120MB) harddisk. One of which is DOS and the others are
Minix and other experimental OS (386BSD, GNU or Mach).

Is there a PD FDISK program for making a harddisk with more than 4
partitions?

What about source code of FDISK program and some guidence on modifying
the FDISK program to create more than 4 partition on a harddisk?

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Luther

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 10:59 GMT
From: "Hu Weiping, Dublin City Univ" <87701324%dcu.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: HG to WP .WPG conversion

Hi!  Is there a PD program to convert Harvard Graphics graph *.CHT to
WP *.WPG graph?  Any pointer will be appreciated.

W Hu
DCU, Ireland

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 91 01:27:54 GMT
From: castillo@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian Anderson)
Subject: 'Slide Viewer' Program wanted

I'm going to be putting together an automated PC demo program that
essentially just does a "slide show" of about 100 VGA images (256
color, 640x480).

Is there a public domain or reasonably cheap image viewer available?
I could buy one of the more expensive packages if it included some
kind of "run-time" module that could be duplicated at modest expense.
I'm really looking for relatively simple effects (wipes, dissolves,
etc.) to show off a library of scanned artwork.

Brian Anderson
castillo@media-lab.media.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 11:32:18 -0800
From: netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg@apple.com (Aryeh Goretsky)
Subject: Details of Scan 74-B

VERSION 74-B
  Version 74-B fixes a bug which caused the programs misidentify the
Swedish Disaster virus on Syquest 10Mb tape drives and machines
formatted with some versions of Zenith-OEM MS-DOS.  The machines in
question were said to have the "Stoned/Swedish Virus" present in the
boot sector of infected hard disks and disk packs.

VIRUSCAN Version 74
     Version 74 of VIRUSCAN adds 51 new viruses and over one hundred
new strains of existing viruses, bringing the total number of known
computer viruses to 475.  In addition, version 74 improves the
throughput of the scanning algorithm and handling of nonstandard hard
drives, and now provides the option of displaying all messages in
French.

     The 1575/1591 virus was sent to us from multiple sites in Quebec,
Canada, Oslo, Norway, and the United States.  It is a memory-resident
file infector that attaches to .COM and .EXE files when a disk is
accessed via internal DOS commands.

     The 903 virus was sent to us by Djennad Nasser from France.  It is
a .COM file infector.

     The Holocaust virus was sent to us by David Llamas of Barcelona,
Spain.  It is a .COM file infector that uses "stealth" type techniques.

     The BeBe, Kuka, Kuka/Turbo, Lozinsky, MGTU, Nina, Off Stealth,
Polish-532, Sverdlov, Tiny-133, USSR-series, and Voronezh viruses were
discovered in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe and sent to us from
numerous sources there and in Western Europe.  They are not believed to
exist in the West.

     The Christmas Violator, F-Word, Parity, Beeper, Best Wish,
Leapfrog Destructor, Happy New Year Hymm, Justice, Label, V961,
Swiss-143, Sentinel, Plague, Monxla-B, Little Pieces, IKC528, Hybrid,
Dir-Vir, Stone90, Saddam, and Iraqui Warrior viruses were sent to us
from various sources around the globe.

     For summary information about these viruses, please refer to the
enclosed VIRLIST.TXT file.  For a detailed description of all known
viruses, please refer to the Virus Summary Document (VSUM), copyrighted
by Patricia Hoffman and available and most bulletin boards.

     A trojan version of VIRUSCAN, Version 73, appeared on BBSes in
Miami, Florida USA.  In order to prevent confusion, we have used the
next version number, Version 74.

CLEAN-UP Verison 74
     Version 74 of CLEAN-UP adds removal of the 1575/1591 and the Music
Bug viruses, as well as several new variants of the Jerusalem virus.
For more information about these viruses, please refer to the enclosed
VIRLIST.TXT file.

VSHIELD Version 74
      Two new commands have been added to VSHIELD:  The /CONTACT option
allows a custom message to be displayed if a virus is found.  The
/CERTIFY option provides control over file execution.  It will prevent
any program from being executed if it has not been validated as an
authorized program for a given site.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE SUPPORT
     Both VIRUSCAN and CLEAN-UP can now display messages in French.
When the /FR option is specified, all messages will be displayed in
French instead of English.

VIRLIST.TXT ENTRY FOR 1575/1591 VIRUS
     Version 74 went out without an entry in the VIRLIST.TXT file for
the 1575/1591 virus.  The correct entry should be:

1575/1591  [15xx]          Clean-Up    . . x x x x . . . .    vary   O,P,L

Sorry 'bout that, folks.

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky, Tech Support               vox (408) 988-3832 |
McAfee Associates                          fax (408) 970-9727 |
4423 Cheeney Street                        bbs (408) 988-4004 |
Santa Clara, California  95054-0253                        // |
Internet: netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg@apple.com        //  |
UUCP:  apple!netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg             \X/   |

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #41
-------