Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/04/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri,  1 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  42

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                 Some Disk Related Questions (V91 #34)
                           Modula-2 (V91 #32)
                       PostScript file viewer???
                        PS/2 Hard Disk Upgrades
                           TeX viewer for VGA
                   echo@omnigate.clarkson.edu - Gone
            MODEM and COM3 with Windows 3.0a help Requested
                 How to get Info-IBMPC archive (2 msgs)
                       PCX FILE FORMAT (V91 #35)
                   printing extended ascii (V91 #35)
                   PARADOX List available? (V91 #36)
               Re: Convert pc REXX prog. to .exe or .com
                     WESTERN DIGITAL HD CONTROLLER
                                Unix(s)

Today's Queries:
                                  lans
                          Sound Blaster Board
                  10 mHz Intel 8087 suffers heatstroke
                             Assembler Code
                         looking for PC Telnet
                screen saver that parks the hard drive??

New Uploads:
      REM23-00.ZIP - REMIND v2.3.0: Sophisticated reminder service
      TSUTIL31.ZIP - First set of command-like utilities, T.Salmi
         68ASMSIM.ZIP - 68000 assembler/simulator with C source
          Simpsons Fortune Program (v294) uploaded to Simtel20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 04:40:54 CST
From: dogface!bei@cs.utexas.edu (Bob Izenberg)
Subject: Some Disk Related Questions (V91 #34)

> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 15:20:44 CET
> From: OVE HAGSET <SIV87003%NOBIVM.BITNET@SEARN.SUNET.SE>
>
> 1. Do anyone out there have any experience with the Perstor
> controllers?  I am interested in both positive and negative inputs.  I
> have heard some rumors about problems with disk-tools, any coments?
>
> 2. Do anyone know of any disk-controllers that can handle at least
> MFM, RLL and IDE encoded disks (on one controller)?

I used a Perstor controller on an XT, and after Perstor sent me a fixed
rom it worked without complaint.  You can never tell if it'll work in
your hardware/software situation beforehand, so Perstor is pretty good
about making it work or refunding your money.  It did use an interleave
of 9 to get the most out of the drive that I had, which isn't unusual
for their cards.

I got one brochure from a company that had MFM, RLL, ESDI and SCSI all
on the same card.  It cost an arm and a leg, so I chucked it out.  If I
had an assortment of drives that used different schemes... I'd still
have to consider whether a disk controller was sorth $1000 or so.  It
did have some sort of hardware cache to it.  -- Bob

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 16:38:04 EST
From: Alex Nemeth <AN5@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Modula-2 (V91 #32)

Pieter,

MODULA-L@UALTAVM
MODULA-L@IRLEARN

I'm not sure how, or even if you can access these lists.  you might
want to ask your local E-MAIL wizard.

Good luck
Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 14:47:41 +1100
From: p.campbell@trl.OZ.AU (Peter Campbell)
Subject: PostScript file viewer???

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>   I am looking for a program that will let you view postscript
>formatted files before they are sent to the printer...  If anyone knows
>of such a program (shareware or not) respond to my account or post a
>message on this board...

There's a program (suite) called GrafWork which is shareware ($35 or
buy a certain book) which is currently in version 4.8.  It is available
via anonymous ftp from at least two sites, one of which, by
coincidence, is Simtel 20.  Seeing as your address appears to contain
simtel20 in its path I assume you won't have to far to go to get it
(-:.

On Simtel (26.2.0.74) it's available in file
PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>GRAFWK48.ZIP (I don't understand the weird Simtel
naming system).

It is also available from garbo (used to be chyde, 128.214.12.37) in
/pc/graphics as grafwk48.lzh.

It's hence also on other shadows around the place - for example, both
simtel and chyde are shadowed on deakin (128.184.1.1) here in
Australia.

Not only can it view postscript files, it can also view and/or convert
between MacPaint, GEM/IMG, PCX, GIF, TIFF, WPG, MSP, IFF, BMP and PIC
formats, as well as dithering, etc., and print to a HP Laser Jet or
Postscript printer at various densities (up to 300 dpi).  It can also
expand and reduce the size of pictures.

How much would you expect to pay for this?  $100?  Well, we'll also
throw in a Windows 3 pif and icon already to use, the ability to handle
expanded/extended memory, or disk as virtual memory, and a bunch of
drivers for everyone's favourite graphics card, included the best of
them all - The Tseng ET4000!  How much would you pay for all of this -
just - oh rats, I've spoiled it all and mentioned the price already.
Well, there goes my career in advertising ;-).

Seriously, it is a very good package - I don't use it all that much
myself, but there's a few friends of mine who do lots of video
processing who love it.

Peter K. Campbell, aka Purple
p.campbell@trl.oz.au.

P.S.:  I have no affiliation with products mentioned above, my views
are my own - although they can be yours with sufficient fiscal
investment :-).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 10:21:56 -0500
From: soares@smd.DNET.NASA.GOV
Subject: PS/2 Hard Disk Upgrades

     I have upgraded my PS/2 30-286 with a Seagate ST1096N SCSI hard
disk (85 MB, 20 msec average access time). To keep the costs down I
used an ST-01 SCSI controller (I spent under $400). A better controller
such as the Future Domain or Adaptec would yield better performance (16
bit).

     The procedure is very simple, the ST1096N is a 3 1/2" drive and it
fits in the hard disk bay of the PS/2 line. A skid plate is necessary
to mount the drive. I used the skid plate from my old 20MB drive, but
they are also available from J&L Marketing and PS Solutions (they are
cheap).

     The catch in the internal installation is that the PS/2's do not
have a standard power connector for the drive (this is a 4 pin
connector). A simple way to bypass this limitation is to use a
controller that has a power connector.  The Seagate ST-01 and some
Future Domain controllers have such connector. I have not checked the
Adaptec controllers. I made my own power cable to connect the power
from the controller to the drive. The SCSI cable came with the drive.

     Following instructions from Seagate's Tech Support, I configured
the system without the controller installed (no hard disk) after
removing the original hard disk. Then I installed the SCSI controller,
drive and cables.

     The next step is to power up the system with a DOS floppy (I am
using version 4.01). I performed the low-level format by invoking the
procedure from the controller's BIOS (using DEBUG). I chose not to use
Disk Manager, so I used FDISK to create one 85 MB partition and then
formatted the drive. I installed DOS using SHARE to support the large
partition.

     The entire installation took about 30-40 minutes and I didn't run
into any problems. The drive performs much better than the original IBM
drive, the access time is improved by about 50 to 60%.

     As for compatibility, I haven't found a single glitch. I have
Windows 3.0, Word for Windows, Norton Utilities (but I wouldn't try
calibrate), MS Fortran and a many other packages running without any
problems.

     Some interesting notes: You can keep your old drive and install
the new drive as D by using a drive-on-a-card frame since the ST-01 is
a short controller (J&L Marketing has these frames). You can also
install the new drive in an external enclosure (this way you can use a
5 1/4" drive), but hard disk cases with power supply are not cheap.

IBM PS/2 Model 50 Hard Disk Upgrade

     I have also helped with 2 PS/2 50 hard disk upgrades. The only
difference is the use of a microchannel SCSI controller (Future Domain
and Western Digital have MCA controllers). The procedure is essentially
the same.

     If the new drive is installed in the B drive bay, it is necessary
to realign the drive on the skid plate because of the floppy connector
on the back of the drive bay. New holes have to be drilled for mounting
the drive on the skid plate, but that is a minor problem.

     I hope this information helps the people considering upgrades.
There are other options such an external installation or other
interfaces, but I have not played with those options.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 07:31 CST
From: "Hunter Goatley" <GOATHUNTER%WKUVX1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TeX viewer for VGA

>   Any one recommand a good Tex DVI viewer for VGA (SVGA better)?

>   I have looked at dvivga and dview. dvivga is quite nice except it
>didn't implement special (graphics). dview has graphics but can't be
>run on my DESQview window of 480K. I think it requires too much memory.

Eberhard Mattes's version of TeX, emTeX, comes with a *wonderful*
previewer, which can also display .PCX and .MSP files as included
graphics.

emTeX also includes DVI drivers for HP LaserJet and a slew of
dot-matrix printers, all of which support the above-mentioned graphics.

The whole package makes up 6 HD floppies, but it's worth it.  The files
are available via anonymous ftp from ymir.claremont.edu and
msdos.archive.umich.edu.

Hunter Goatley, GOATHUNTER@WKUVX1.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 19:22:27 EST
From: Drew Derbyshire <ahd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
Subject: echo@omnigate.clarkson.edu - Gone

The UUPC/extended documention describes a server which will send your
mail back to you if you send mail to it at echo@omnigate.clarkson.edu.

Simply put, it's not there anymore.  DO NOT send mail to
echo@omnigate.clarkson.edu, and discourage others from doing so.

-ahd-

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 19:47 N
From: PAAI%KUB.NL@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: MODEM and COM3 with Windows 3.0a help Requested

Hello there.
I have problems connecting a modem to COM3 under MSWINDOWS 3.0a. COM1
has a mouse attached and the modem in COM2 works just fine. COM3 just
does not work under WINDOWS. If connection is made at all, the data are
totally garbled (i.e. every sixth character or so is received and
characters are sent veeeeery slowly and omitting every other character
or so.

Yes, I have baud, parity etcetera all correct. Weirder though:  TELIX
on COM3 works just fine!  I tried installing the com-adress on
0000:404; did not make any difference.

Although I use WINDOWS in standard mode I put address and IRQ in the
SYSTEM.INI as recommended for enhanced mode: no joy.

Calling Microsoft's hot-line in Holland did not help either:  they
denied that anybody ever had any problems with modems in COM3.  I heard
rumours though of other people having similar problems with COM3 and
COM4 under WINDOWS.

I have an AST Premium 386C; as I said COM1 is occupied by the local
rodent; the modem is a STI-2400I 2400 baud internal modem (working just
fine).

So does anybody out there have any suggestions?

Hans Paijmans
Tirlburg university
Holland.
PAAI@KUB.NL

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 22:12:36 EST
From: jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo)
Subject: How to get Info-IBMPC archive

Greetings,
  The digest heading indicates pd2:<archive.ibmpc> for archived
messages.  I looked into that directory but directory listing didn't
make sense to me.  Would you tell me how I can ftp the desired archived
message.  Additionally, it would be helpful if you can tell me how the
pd2:<archive.ibmpc> directory is maintained.

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 08:12:45 MST
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC> ...

The directory is organized as follows:
YYMM.x-TXT   (mostly for current year)
YYMM.x-TXT-Z (for prior years)

where:
YY ==> year  (90, 89, 88, etc)
MM ==> month (01, 02, 03, ... for Jan, Feb, Mar, ...)
x  ==> 1, 2  (ext.  Files are broken into sub-files as necessary when
        file size exceeds 150 TENEX pages (about 370-380K bytes))
Z  ==> file has been COMPRESSed with a Unix compatible compression
  program.  Several that run on PCs and compatibles are

   PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
 COMPR16.ZIP.1
 COMPRES8.ARC.1

   PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>
 COMP430D.ZIP.3
 COMPRESS.C.1
   .DOC.1
   .MAK.1
   .TQT.1
 COMPRS12.ARC.1
 COMPRS16.ARC.1

   PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>
 COMPRS12.ARC.1

Issues for the current month are in file
PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>IBMPC-ARCHIV.TXT

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 10:26:22 EST
From: TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: PCX FILE FORMAT (V91 #35)

> From: gt3635a@prism.gatech.edu (Greg Bishop)

> I am working on a windows program to load in a PCX file (why windows
> uses PCX instead of GIF format I'll never know), but I need to find out

The GIF format is a proprietary Compuserve format; Microsoft would have
had to pay royalties to Compuserve to use it.

| Timothy Buck                                     |               |
|      timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (preferred)         | Virginia Tech |
|      jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu                          | Blacksburg,VA |
| OR   timbuck@albert.ai.mit.edu                   |               |

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 10:30:31 EST
From: TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: printing extended ascii (V91 #35)

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 22:01:46 EST
> From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

> I have a Panasonic kxp1624 dot matrix printer. How can I print extended
> ascii characters (like lines and other symbols) to it without using a
> word processor? (Like COPY file PRN where the file contains extended
> ascii lines, etc.) Or even using a word processor?

> The COPY FILE PRN didn't work. For the lines I got just regular letters
> substituted (Like D for a horizontal line.)

Panasonic (and most other makes) printers generally can emulate either
IBM or Epson printers.  The letters you're getting in place of your
lines are from the IBM character set.  You need to switch it to
Epson-emulation mode (see your printer manual for the correct DIP
switch settings).

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 19:56:51 EST
From: dmarcher@acsu.buffalo.edu (david m archer)
Subject: PARADOX List available? (V91 #36)

LISTSERV list on Bitnet, simply called PARADOX.

Unfortunately, the list appears to be hosted somewhere around Brazil,
and traffic to the USA seems to be sporadic at best.  (Your mileage may
vary..)

containing the following line in the body:

SUBSCRIBE PARADOX

Alternatively, sending the same line to your nearest listserv (if you
know of one) should automatically forward the subscribe request to
BRUFPB.

Hope this helps..

  Dave Archer  |  Internet: V116KZND@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU      !

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 1991 22:50:17 EST
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: Re: Convert pc REXX prog. to .exe or .com

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 10:03:32 TUR
> From: Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

Please note:  I do not work for Mansfield Software, the vendors of PC
REXX and KEDIT.  I do own their KEDIT and REXX for both MS-DOS and
OS/2.  (I've also used REXX on VM and on TSO.)

> REXX programs depend largely upon other system resources, such as CP
> and CMS.  There is no equivalent of these on the PC.

This is untrue.  For example, TSO/E version 2 includes a full featured
REXX, and REXX also exists on the IBM AS/400 and under OS/2.  Many Rexx
PROGRAMMERS depend largely upon other system resources (mostly because
CMS REXX never impletemented file I/O directly from REXX), but the
language description is not tied to VM or to any other operating
system.

> There is a package called PC-Rexx, but I don't recommend it, since it
> is quite crippled.

Your use of the word crippled is unclear.  While you can't run a 2000
line REXX program under MS-DOS, the restrictions are no greater than
other mainframe programs which take storage or cycles.  Running TeX on
a PC comes to mind.  :-)

> I understand that the Rexx interpreter that comes
> with OS/2 1.3 is quite good, but again, it is not a compiler.

OS/2 doesn't have CMS or CP any more than MS-DOS does.  Please review
your previous comments.

I have my doubts about the 1.3 SAA REXX version being better than
PC-REXX; the OS/2 1.2 SAA REXX performance is not all that wonderful.
However, I must reserve judgement until I actually upgrade to OS/2 1.3.
Mostly I use PC-REXX for OS/2 instead because it supports the same
extended functions as the MS-DOS version.

> You may be better off writing in BASIC (Rexx seems closest to BASIC on
> the PC) and compiling it on the PC, or running it interpreted under
> OS/2.

REXX is a procedure oriented language; if he has to port to another
language, I would suggest a procedure oriented language such as Pascal
or C. I doubt running under OS/2 will help him, as he would then lose
access to whatever other applications he was using.

I'm many things, a BASIC Bigot is not one of them.  :-)

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:       ahd@kendra.kew.com         U.S. Mail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:          617-641-3739                          Arlington, MA 02174

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 14:47:59 -0800
From: Dave Tweten <tweten@orville.nas.nasa.gov>
Subject: WESTERN DIGITAL HD CONTROLLER

In volume 91, issue 35, Glenn asks:

  I have a W.D. controller in my possession (of course with no
  docs.).

That's an easy problem to solve.  Just call Western Digital, at

  (800) 847-6181

as I did, or write to

  Western Digital
  2445 McCabe Way
  Irvine, California 92714

and they'll send you the brochure for your board.  To answer the rest
of your questions, I've used the brochure I got for my WD1002S-WX2A.

  I need to know what these jumpers are for ...

Table 1 indicates the following:

  Jumper  Pin Connects  Status
  ------- ------------  --------------------------------------
  W1 - W2       No longer applicable.  Eliminated on new
                artwork.
  W3  CLOSED    BIOS ROM enabled.
    OPEN        BIOS ROM disabled.
  W4  2-3       Device Address 320H.
    2-1         Device Address 324H.
  W5  2-1       BIOS ROM SIZE 32K of 64K.
    2-3         BIOS ROM SIZE 16K.
  W6  2-3       REDUCED WRITE CURRENT (8 heads).
    2-1         HEAD SEL 3 (16 heads).
  W7  2-1       INTRQ TO INTRQ 5 on host connector.
    2-3         INTRQ TO INTRQ 2 on host connector.
  W8  2-3       Standard factory setting.
  W9  2-1       CO23 setting.
  W10 2-3       Standard configuration.
    2-1         Special feature.

  ... and what size drive this thing can handle.

Table 2, under a heading for BIOS version 62-000042-015 (REV. H),
indicates support for drives which range in size up to a 62.3 MB
(Rodime) drive.  With later, so called "Super BIOS ROM" versions
(62-000094-0x1 or 62-000094-0x2, where "x" is a package type, 0, 3 or
6), 4 digits of cylinder count and two digits of head count are
permitted.

  SW1 is a set of 8 2-prongs labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 7, 6, 5.

Table 3 tells how to use SW1 settings:

BIOS  DRIVE 0         DRIVE 1         FRMTTD              PRE-COMP
TABLE SW1-1   SW1-2   SW1-3   SW1-4   CAP.    HEADS CYLS  /RWC
----- ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ----- ----  --------
0     CLOSED  CLOSED  CLOSED  CLOSED  20 MB   4     612   450/450
1     OPEN    CLOSED  OPEN    CLOSED  10 MB   4     306   0/153
2     CLOSED  OPEN    CLOSED  OPEN    10 MB   2     615   450/450
3     OPEN    OPEN    OPEN    OPEN    20 MB   4     615   450/450
S1-5  OPEN: No Translation.
  CLOSED: Not allowed for WD1002S-WX2A.  Used for WD1002-27X.
S1-6  OPEN: 17 SECTORS/TRACK.
  CLOSED: Not allowed for WD1002S-WX2A.  Used for WD1002-27X.
S1-7  OPEN: IRQ5.
  CLOSED: IRQ2.  Required modification of W7 and custom BIOS ROM.
S1-8  OPEN: XT MODE.
  CLOSED: AT MODE.

  It has a data (or is it control) connector of 34 pins labeled
  J1, ...

It's control, and it can be daisy-chained to two drives.

  ... and 2 20 pin connectors labeled J2 & J3.

J2 and J3 are the data connectors for the two drives which can
simultaneously be controlled by this board.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 19:48 CST
From: ZHUJP@VAX2.CSTP.UMKC.EDU
Subject: Unix(s)

>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 15:15:27 EST
>From: labdg@unix.cc.emory.edu (Diego)

> I'd like to fool around with a Unix system on my 386 machines, but
>don't know much about what's out there.  I've heard, of course, of the
>newish "clone" selling at around $100 and also of GNU, though last I
>checked they hadn't completed the clone shell yet.  If anyone would be
>kind enough to reply, I'm interested in Unix for experimentation,
>programming, and fun, not a serious thousands+++ system.  Essentially,
>any information on cheap Unix(s) would be helpful!  If interest
>warrants, I'd be happy to summarize response for IBM-PC list.

>[There is an article in the January '91 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal
>discussing the porting of BSD Unix to the '386.  The project is named,
>appropriately enough, 386BSD and was started during the summer of
>1989.  From the article

> "... Those of you who can meet University of California requirements
> should obtain a copy of 386BSD from the University of California..."

>No further details were given.  gph]

  There is an advertisment in the February '91 issuse of Computer
Shopper (Page 663), it introduces a a clone of UNIX system called
'Coherent'.  It can run under a 286 or 386 that has 10MB disk space
and 640KB memory.  The proce is very resonable, just $99.95. It also
comes with Lex and Yacc, a complete C compiler and a set of nearly 200
UNIX commands including text processing, administrative and maintenance
commands plus UUCP. It can also reside with DOS. I think it is nice
system, but I have not had a chance to try it.

  Here is the company address:
    Mark Williams Company
    60 Revere Drive
    Northbrook, IL 60062
  Also it has a 800 telephone number, 1-800-MARK WMS

Yanping

=  Yanping Zhu,   University of Missouri-Kansas City
=  InterNet:  zhujp@vax2.cstp.umkc.edu
=  Bitnet:  ZHUJP@UMKCVAX2.BITNET

[There is a fairly extensive set of comments on Coherent in the
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) file available from the mail server at
math.princeton.edu.  Send a message to rjc@math.princeton.edu WITH NO
SUBJECT and the line SEND FAQ.CSIP as the body of the message.
Substituting the word HELP gets a fairly extensive help file that
explains other capabilities of the server.

Your file will be forwarded by return mail.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 23:55 EDT
From: PARESI%SJC.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu
Subject: lans

We are a university in connecticut and we are upgrading our
System 36 to a new system in 1 year. We are debating on going AS/400 vs
LAN With lans, tell me please the differences between ARCNET, ETHERNET,
and TOKEN RING and the cabling differences between FIBER OPTICS and
TWISTED PAIR. I hear that ethernet is VENDOR specific and later down
the line, ETHERNET only has interestin VAX/DEC. TOKEN RING is more
money. TOKEN is slower.  what are things I should know, I never thought
it would be this complicated. thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 1991 13:06:31 EST
From: "William W. Plummer" <plummer@altacoma.wang.com>
Subject: Sound Blaster Board

Is the Sound Blaster MPU-401 compatible?

William W. Plummer   Work: 508-967-4870
plummer@wang.com     Home: 508-256-9570

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 05:58:56 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: 10 mHz Intel 8087 suffers heatstroke

My 10 mHz Intel 8087 gives wrong answers when the ambient room
temperature exceeds 75 degrees Fahrenheit.  The SAVAGE benchmark
reports argument to EXP is out of range, etc.  Is this normal behavious
(I realize that the 8087 is supposed to run hot, but the temperature
inside the computer case does not exceed 90 degrees Fahrenhieht).
Should I trade in my 8087-1 for a new 8087-1?

------------------------------

Date: SAT, 23 FEB 91 20.25.19  EDT
From: "Dan Newcombe" <KK4D%MARISTB.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: Assembler Code

Hi, I am looking for some good assembly(8088) source code for the EXEC
function (Dos Function 4B) and the terminate stay resident function
(Interupt 27 or Function 39) Any source(preferbally commented) would be
greatly appreciated.

                                      -Dan    KK4D@MARISTB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 12:35:56 EST
From: "Robert J. Welsh" <rwelsh@BBN.COM>
Subject: looking for PC Telnet

I  am  looking  for  a  8088/MSDOS  PC  Telnet library/driver that can
support multiple Telnet user sessions from an application.   Solutions
that  have  an interface  to a (many?) popular 8-bit TCP/IP/Ethernet
cards are preferred (ie.  Ethernet cards with TCP/IP and ethernet
driver in firmware preferred). Free/PD would be great but if I have to
buy it, thats OK too.

Please reply directly and I will post a summary.

Thanks,
Rob (rwelsh@bbn.com)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 16:10:50 CST
From: "Jeffrey W. Spencer" <C0025JS%UMRVMB.BITNET@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: screen saver that parks the hard drive??

Does anyone out there know of a shareware or public domain or even
commercial (if cheap) screen saver that will park your hard drive when
it activates?

Also, about the request I made for a program that will slow my machine
down..  I only received one letter.. the person obviously had no
intention of helping me.. just wanted to bash my machine a bit.. I
found a utility called at-slow that does a fair job.. however, if
anyone knows of any more of these utilities I'd be glad to try them.
I'm running an IBM 55-sx.. thanks..

                                                               --jws

% BITNET                INTERNET              %
% C0025JS@UMRVMB      C0025JS@umrvmb.umr.edu  %
% S097671@UMRVMA      S097671@umrvma.umr.edu  %
% **************      jeffs@cs.umr.edu        %

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 17:22:01 EST
From: dfs@DOE.CARLETON.CA (David F. Skoll)
Subject: REM23-00.ZIP - REMIND v2.3.0: Sophisticated reminder service

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.deskaccess>
REM23-00.ZIP    REMIND v2.3.0: Sophisticated reminder service

Here is an excerpt from the WHATSNEW.23 file.

Version 2.3 - Added the UNTIL keyword for forcing reminders to expire.

Added the "++" form of 'back' and the "--" form of 'delta' for ignoring
OMIT information.

Added the CLEAR-OMIT-CONTEXT, PUSH-OMIT-CONTEXT and POP-OMIT-CONTEXT
keywords for isolating personal or peculiar reminders from the global
OMIT context.

Speeded up the parsing of tokens.

Changed the source to recognize and exploit ANSI-C compilers which
accept function prototypes.

Added the "-n" option to output the next occurrence of each reminder in
SimpleCalendar format

Modified the calendar and SimpleCalendar formats so that the % escape
substitutions ARE performed.

Regards,
David Skoll

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Feb T  19:54:53 +0200
From: Timo Salmi <ts@uwasa.fi>
Subject: TSUTIL31.ZIP - First set of command-like utilities, T.Salmi

I have updated the first of my utility collections and it is now
available from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
TSUTIL31.ZIP    First set of command-like utilities, T.Salmi

   SYSINFO.EXE version 2.0 gives information about your PC. I have
rewritten the entire code, because much of my original code dated back
to my early days of Turbo Pascal programming. Part of this rewriting is
invisible to the user, and is for my own edification.  The visible
changes are: (1) The free memory information has been completely
rewritten. The result now agrees exactly with the result that is given
by eg mapmem.exe memory mapper from tsrcom29.zip. (2) I have added a
routine to search the memory above 1008k for bios identification
string, and give the information. (3) The video mode identification
recognizes more video modes than before. (4) The country specific
format information has been augmented with new items. (5) The program
call has now optional switches /h, /r and /s.  (a) Switch /r makes
redirection possible. Use SYSINFO /r > prn or SYSINFO /r >> your.log.
(b) Switch /h (or ?) gives a trivial help.  (c) Switch /s suppresses
the program's virus selftest. (6) There is now multiline information on
each of the disks, including as new items the volume label, the
interleave factor, the number of fats, and the maximum number of file
entries in the root directory.

   I'm well aware of the much more comprehensive infop145.zip InfoPlus
system information program.  Nevertheless, I've wanted again to look
into system information retrieval with my own routines, and arrange the
output of the information in a concise manner.

   STACK.EXE version 1.2 is a small program that tells the amount of
the free memory. (I should have called it FRE.EXE). The free memory
should now be given accurately, and tallies with what standard memory
mappers give. The memory assessment is based on the information
extracted from the PSP (program segment prefix) of stack.exe.

[Many other programs are included.]

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 16:44:37 CST
From: Tim Tsai <it1@RA.MSSTATE.EDU>
Subject: 68ASMSIM.ZIP - 68000 assembler/simulator with C source

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.crossasm>
68ASMSIM.ZIP    68000 cross-assembler/simulator with C source

 This is a Motorola 68000 Cross Assembler/Simulator for MS-DOS
developed by Marwan Shaban at North Carolina State University.  The
assembler produces Motorola S-Record object files.

 Unpack this file with the -d option of PKUNZIP.

Tim Tsai
it1@Ra.MsState.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 91 2:40:06 PST
From: "-----> Dave" <komatsu@ALCOR.USC.EDU>
Subject: Simpsons Fortune Program (v294) uploaded to Simtel20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
SIMP294.ZIP     Fortune program on the things Simpsons say

  This is the newest version of the Simpsons quote program and contains
quotes through the Valentines Day episode.  You can have the program
select a random quote or display a quote by number.  This program is
great for autoexec files during startup/powerdown or preceding the
and this version contains over 100 more quotes then our December
release.

-----> Dave
Playmac Technologies
Public Relations