Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/06/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  4 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  46

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        4Dos memory requirements
         Conversion of Xerox Memory Writer Disks to IBM Format
                           Echo in CONFIG.SYS
                   Keyword Search on SIMTEL20 index?
                      Redirecting COM port to LPT
                        Redirecting LPTn to File
                   Printing extended ascii (V91 #35)
                    Hard Disk Controller (V91 #35)
                Two displays from one computer (V91 #38)
            kermit binary file transfers VAX to PC (V91 #29)
                              Maxtor 7080A

Today's Queries:
                     Architectural software wanted
                     Detection of LCD type screens
                      Fast by Future Technologies
                       Cross Assemblers Required.
                      PC - DB2 / CICS available ??
                          PD version of PC/NFS
          program to find text strings in ZIP-archives needed
                           Routing COM ports
                       Software Quality Assurance
                         info on wang-pc wanted
                   Looking for religious software...

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:58:03 MEZ
From: Thomas <UNP072%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: 4Dos memory requirements

Just a word for the *current* 4Dos release:

Yes, of course a program that is much more powerful than command.com
is, is larger, too. BUT since 4DOS's swaping abilities are more
powerful than command.com's, too, the conventional memory requirements
are smaller.

Especially, if you let it swap to XMS (it *doesn't* use the HMA for
this) it leaves about 300 Bytes in the conventional memory area and a
free HMA.  It uses about 70K of XMS. Of course, you need an XMS-driver
for this.  There is no advantage loading 4Dos into the HMA -- is this
supported by the current version of 4Dos?

You may also swap to (RAM-)disk or to EMS, but this requires a larger
kernel in conventinal memory. If you do this and use large history or
alias buffers, or if you don't swap at all, then it may become larger
then command.com, but not larger then command.com + ceg + ...  Of
course, the memory requirements depend on the efficiency of its
installation...  - Thomas

PS: I don't have any liability to JP software, but i'm a *very*
    satisfied customer...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 10:47 EST
From: "John R. Lewis, Ph.D." <VETDSMDV@utkvx.utk.edu>
Subject: Conversion of Xerox Memory Writer Disks to IBM Format

Recently someone asked about converting Xerox Memory Writer documents
into IBM readable format in the Info-IBM Digest (I appologize for
having misplaced the request).   We purchased ViceVersa from Xerox
($150 as I remember) and have used it sucessfully to convert Memory
Writer documents into Microsoft Word and Word Perfect Documents.  The
program is also supposed to convert IBM documents into Memory Writer
format but we have not had a need to test this feature.

We have no connection with Xerox other than being satisfied users.

John R. Lewis, Ph.D.
ADP Project Manager
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
University of Tennessee

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 91 18:50:24 GMT
From: ole!ray@sumax.seattleu.edu (Ray Berry)
Subject: Echo in CONFIG.SYS

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF HOW PREVENTING CONFIG.SYS GIVING SO MUCH TEXT
>FROM INSTALLED DEVICE DRIVERS?  IS THERE ANY ECHO-OFF ALIKE UTILITY TO
>BE STUFFED INTO CONFIG.SYS BEFORE ALL OTHERS, REDIRECTING STDIO DO NUL
>??
  Check the local bulletin boards for a package called "niceboot" (I've
seen it listed as 'nicboot1',  the name may vary though.).  It does
just what you are asking.

Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...sumax!ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 12:17:21 PST
From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
Subject: Keyword Search on SIMTEL20 index?

In <Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #39>:
>How do  I  query
>the index to tell me all the programs that might have something  to  do
>with this?

Keyword searching is also available by an email server at
rjc@math.princeton.edu.  In this case, one could say

  lookup /cartoon/i

to search the index for anything with the word `cartoon' in its
description field.

Full instructions on using this server may be obtained by sending the
one-line message

  help

to <rjc@math.princeton.edu>.

>I would like to know if there is a generalized solution  to
>this  problem.

One might wish to investigate the `archie' server program running on
quiche.cs.mchill.ca.  Telnet to that machine and login as userid
`archie'.  It will give you instructions when you log in.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 20:41:49 MEZ
From: Eberhard Scherzler <MAT430%DE0HRZ1A.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Redirecting COM port to LPT

Hi Doug,

you may have a look at PortFinder PF253.ZIP in <MSDOS.SYSUTL> in
SIMTEL's archives. It lets you install ports COMn: (n > 2) and
redirects (about) any COM to (virtually) any LPT.

Hope this helps - Eberhard

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 21:01:08 MEZ
From: Eberhard Scherzler <MAT430%DE0HRZ1A.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Redirecting LPTn to File

Hi Hans,

what you need is one of those utilities which redirect output to LPT1:
into a file. There are a couple of those in <MSDOS.PRINTER> in SIMTEL's
archives. I verified a few of them to be listed in SIMIBM.IDX:

  LPTX700.ARC
  PRINDIR.ARC
  PRIND25.ZIP
  PRN2FILE.ARC

You will have to do a little experimenting as these are TSRs which may
not be compatible with other programs.

Hope it helps - Eberhard

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 16:03:02 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: printing extended ascii (V91 #35)

>Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 22:01:46 EST
>From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

>  For the lines I got just regular letters substituted (Like D for a
   horizontal line.)

Your printer may be emulating an Epson,  while the code is set to the
IBM printer format.   I use a printer utility program called Printworks
that does the conversion for my Epson printers.  I tried to contact the
writer of Printworks at a Hawaiian address,  but got no response.
There are probably other programs to do the conversion.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 17:29:09 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Hard Disk Controller (V91 #35)

Table from WD1002S-WX2 User's guide

Jumper  Pin  Connects Status
W1    2-1   NORMAL *
      2-3   Factory Test Only
W2    2-1   NORMAL *
      2-3     Factory Test Only
W3    CLOSED  BIOS ROM enabled *
      OPEN    BIOS ROM disabled
W4    2-3   Device Address 320H*
      2-1   Device address 324H
W5    2-1   BIOS ROM Size 32K or 64K **
      2-3   BIOS ROM Size 16K
W6    2-3   Reduced Write Current (8 heads)*
      2-1   Head Select 3 (16 heads)
W7    2-1   INTRQ to INTRQ 5 on host connector**
      2-3   INTRQ to INTRQ 2 on host connector

    W1 - W7 JUMPER POSITIONS
    Staked Jumpers
    CLOSED  -   Jumper is installed
    OPEN  -   Jumper is not installed
    * As shipped  Jumper is installed
    **  As shipped  Instead of jumper,  pins 1 &2 are joined via an
etch on the PCB.   To change,  the etch must be carefully cut and a
jumper installed.

SW1  1 and 2, select drive 1 characteristics for formatting,  3 and 4
select drive 0 characteristics.  These switches are enabled by a jumper
on SW1-5.  With no jumper,  other drive configurations may be entered
from the keyboard.  If you want to use the standard drive selections,
put a jumper on SW1-5.

 If you want a copy of the whole thing,  message me with your mailing
address.

    Xerox  MS  ESAE-230
    701 S Aviation
    El Segundo, CA 90245

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 17:50:36 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Two displays from one computer (V91 #38)

>Date: Sun, 17 Feb 91 13:53:00 EST
>From: JIM <CLARK@UWPG02.UWinnipeg.CA>

>two identical displays from one IBM machine

Use one monochrome controller / monitor and one color comtroller /
monitor.  The instructions for this come with the color controllers.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 01:18 EST
From: "Terry Kennedy" <TERRY%SPCVXA.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: kermit binary file transfers VAX to PC (V91 #29)

In Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #37, <garber@aru.dom.uab.edu> writes:

> Using DEC's Pathworks network, I've copied a binary file to my VAX
> directory.  For testing purposes, I've used TED.COM, a tiny editor
> (size=2984).  I log into the VAX using mskermit version 3.01.  I start
> kermit on the VAX (version 3.3.126), type "set file type binary", type
> "server", get back to the mskermit, type "set file type binary", type
> "get ted.com".  The file transfers, but now has a file size of 3065,
> and will not run (in fact, it locks up the system).

  The default file format for Pathworks is Stream-LF. When Kermit-32
sees this, it says "A-ha. A Unix-type text file", and proceeds to
convert each LF in the file to CR/LF pairs. That is why your file is
expanding, and why it crashes your PC. If you use the SET FILE TYPE
BLOCK option in Kermit-32 (only present in newer version), Kermit-32
will know to treat the file as binary data.

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        terry@spcvxa.bitnet     St. Peter's College, US
        terry@spcvxa.spc.edu    (201) 915-9381

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 09:00:00 N
From: SURF023%KUB.NL@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Maxtor 7080A

Hello Thomas

The 7080a is a EDI harddisk of 81.5 Mbyte. The speed is about 512
Kb/sec on a 80386SX (20 MHz) and about 1000Kb/sec on the 80486 (33MHz).

The drive has a virtual and a real mode. The real mode should NOT be used.
The virtual mode is :
Cylinders : 980
Sectors   : 17
Haeds     : 10
(make that HEADS)
Landing zone : 980

The harddisk is already low level formatted and should NOT be low level
formatted again.  This could damage the drive.

I do have the technical ref.guide but i don't have it with me right now
so jumper setting (if you need them) i can't give them to you right now
but tomorow i could, if you want them ?????? let me know.

Rudi v. Dijck
HogeSchool Eindhoven
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 11:09:55 PST
From: Wax.OSBU_South@xerox.com
Subject: Architectural software wanted

I am looking for PD, shareware, or commercial packages to do
architectural drawings in 3d.  I want to give the details for the
designed of a house or room and be able to see them in 3d.  Shaows for
outside views would be nice as well.

Anyone know of such a product that doesn't cost too much or require a
Cray to run.

Allan Wax
Wax.OSBU_South@Xerox.COM

------------------------------

Date: Mon Feb 25 14:49:04 1991
From: "Gonzalo M. Rojas Costa" <LISTVIR%USACHVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Detection of LCD type screens

   How I can detect, via software, if a computer have an LCD or CRT
screen ?

   Thanks in advance

Gonzalo M. Rojas Costa
Admin of TRICKLE@USACHVM1
Owner of ASSMPC-L and EMULPC-L lists
Member of Antiviral Research Group
Technical Support Unit
Computer Service Department
University of Santiago de Chile

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:30 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Fast by Future Technologies

I have a user on campus who is interested in a caching system for
Windows 3.0 called Fast by Future Technologies.  Could someone give
me some observations about the product?  Is it worth buying?  Is
it really better than Smartdrv.sys?

Terry Lewis
University of Tennessee
Martin, TN  38238
TLEWIS@UTKVX

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 10:54 N
From: VENKA@ITSICTP.BITNET
Subject: Cross Assemblers Required.

Dear Friends,
        Does anybody know if cross-assemblers for IBM mainframes exist
on the IBM-PC preferably PC-386. If so, how can I get hold of one ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

S.Venkataraman
International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Trieste-34100, Italy

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 91 16:50:32 GMT
From: mrsvr!gemed.mrisi!rupen@uwm.edu (Rupen Sheth 4-6587)
Subject: PC - DB2 / CICS available ??

Hi:
  - I am looking for a PC DB2 software (?? XDB2 ..??).  Does anyone know
    if any such software exists?  I would like name, company, price,
    tel no. if possible.

  - Does a CICS exist for PCs?  Any info. would be appreciated.

  - Also, What would be a good place for me to get similar information.
    Does any software catalog, etc exist?  Can I contact any company for
    this info?

Please reply to either one of the following -
  - This newsgroup.
I'll summarize if replies come to the following...
  - Email me: rupen@gemed.ge.com OR rupen@cvax.cs.uwm.edu
  - Call me: (414)521-6589 Office
  - Mail me: 3058 N. Maryland Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53211.

Thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 11:46
From: "Christoph Baumhof" <UA21%DKAUNI2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: PD version of PC/NFS

Hello,
I'm looking for a PD implementation of PC/NFS for connecting an
AT-compatible machine to a SUN Sparcstation 1 via ethernet. Does anyone
know of such a program or of other programs that might be helpful ?

Christoph Baumhof
E-mail: ua21@dkauni2.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 13:37 N
From: <IUL%DACTH51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: program to find text strings in ZIP-archives needed

Does anybody know a program to find occurences of text strings in a
ZIP-archive containing text files ?  I am looking for a utility which
gives the whole line of text (the line containing the search string),
and which scans through all text files contained in the archive.

There exists a program called ARCF106 in <MSDOS.ARC-LBR>, which does
the job for *.ARCs, is there a similiar program which works on *.ZIPs ?

Any thanks for any hints, Matthias Drobnitzky

Matthias Drobnitzky  <iul@dacth51.bitnet>
Dept. of Radiology
Klinikum der RWTH
D-5100 Aachen
Germany

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 13:04:06 CST
From: Doug Lockhart <MIDLL%UMSVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Routing COM ports

Hi Folks:
    This is more of a DOS question then anything else but I'm not sure
where else to ask. I'm trying to route a serial port to a parallel
port.  It's easy enough to use MODE to go the other way but MODE won't
let me redirect the com port. It insists that I want to configure it
rather then direct it. What I want to do is something like MODE
COM1:=LPT1:. DOS won't buy that. I've also tried SET COM1:=LPT1: with
disappointing results.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Doug Lockhart
MIDLL@UMSVM
MMRI, University of Mississippi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:33:47 AST
From: "Stephen Hall" <SHALL%MTA@UNBMVS1.csd.unb.ca>
Subject: Software Quality Assurance

Dear Network:

     I am working on a rather unique prototype and would like to
correspond with others who may have a similar interest.  The aim is to
build a PC-based tool set to address the issues of Software Quality
Assurance.  This will be an Expert System application.  When finished
the tool set will help software developers (and QA personnel) identify
quality issues during development.  Problems could then be addressed
while they are still relatively easy to fix.  If anyone is interested
in exchanging ideas on this subject, please let me know.  Also, is
there any other list that may be more applicable?  The target for the
"quality evaluation"  could be PC or mainframe.

 ... Thank you.  Stephen Hall, Mount Allison University (SHALL@MTA.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Feb 91 08:48 CET
From:    "Rene de Bie" <CRISRB@HLERUL2.BITNET>
Subject: info on wang-pc wanted

I recently bought a WANG Professional Computer wich was made in 1983 in
the USA. The only reason I did it was because it has an 32 MB harddrive
in it! This PC runs on MSdos 2.01, but it is an 'extended by WANG' Dos.
Now I would like to know if there is a way to get this machine work
with a higher level of MSdos, since nothing seems to work that is made
for use with a higher DOS.  The CPU is a 8086 8 MHZ Intel, 16 bits,
with a bios Rev. 2.40 dated 1983. The PC won't boot with dos 3.2 or
3.3, though it can read disks that are made on other systems. I already
tried to replace the bios with that of an Epson AX-2 AT , but then it
didn't boot at all.

Perhaps anyone has an idea? Must I just buy WANG dos 3.3 or something
like that?  All suggestions are welcome!

Rene de Bie - CRI - University Leiden - Holland
System Programmer ORACLE/IDMS
Mail   :P.O.Box 9512 - 2300 RA Leiden - The Netherlands
Phone  :+31 71 276948/276921

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 06:30:51 GMT
From: fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Francis N. Godfrey)
Subject: Looking for religious software...

What we are looking for is software for management of Church related
administration.

What we need is the titles of some software that will perform:
membership accounting, church inventory maintainance, and other church
related applications.

So if possible can you please give software titles (and their prices)
for this task. Thank You.

                                                  C. Watts

Francis N. Godfrey   |
Syracuse University  |