Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/07/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  4 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  47

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                     Postscript on an Epson LQ-510
                           Routing COM ports
          Re: Convert pc REXX prog. to .exe or .com  (V91 #36)
               Re: the query about changing EXE headers:
                 HEXA I/O Plus Multi-Function Plus Card
                Arranging Program Group Icons in Win 3.0
                 Bad CRC error from Hard Disk (V91 #35)
                    Finite Element Analysis Software
                Gateway 2000 Experience Wanted (V91 #19)
                                  Help
                          IBM Keyboard specs?
                 RE: Data Error, Track 0 Bad (V91 #34)
                        Paradox Discussion List
                    pkzfind for filenames, not text

Today's Queries:
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #33
                             MS-DOS -> VMS
                           Routing COM ports

New Upload:
         Quickbbs v2.66 and BBS utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 15:11:48 CST
From: "Ed Garay (u12570@uicvm.uic.edu)" <U12570%UICVM@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Postscript on an Epson LQ-510

On Sat, 23 Feb 91 16:30:39 EST Pierre V. Villeneuve said:
>I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard of a program of
>some kind that would allow you to print a Postscript file on an Epson
>LQ-510 24 pin dot- matrix printer.

I don't know of any public domain or shareware program that converts PS
for Epson LQ-510 printing. Perhaps, there is such a program based on
the GhostScript interpreter.

There are several commercial products like QMS UltraScript, GoScript
and Freedom of the Press that interpret PostScript supporting numerous
laser, inkjet, dot matrix and thermal printers.

QMS UltraScript, for example, costs about $250 and supports the Epson
LQ, LX and FX printers, as well as HP LaserJets and DeskJets. While I
don't use UltraScript's Epson support, I am quite pleased with its
LaserJet and TIFF/PCX support. I also use its interactive mode for PS
debugging.  Hope this helps.

--- Ed

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 15:46:35 CST
From: Lee Hancock <LE07144%UKANVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Routing COM ports

You can also use DOS's configur program to re-route ports and make the
change tempory or permenant.

Lee Hancock
Educational Technologist
University of Kansas Medical Center

[You can only use this command if the DOS in question was delivered by
Zenith Datasystems (now part of the Bull group...  The CONFIGUR command
is not part of the standard MSDOS/IBM PC-DOS distribution...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 07:52:27 GMT
From: Andreas Lang <K573605%CZHRZU1A@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Convert pc REXX prog. to .exe or .com  (V91 #36)

In answer to Essam Kamal <EKAMAL@EGIDSCVM.bitnet> and Turgut Kalfaoglu
<TURGUT%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>:

Beside PC-REXX and the one included in OS/2 1.3 there is at least a
third PC-compatible REXX interpreter:

  Personal REXX 2.0 for DOS  (US $150)
  Personal REXX 2.0 for OS/2 (US $175, includes DOS version)

  Mansfield Software Group, P.O.Box 532, Storrs, CT 06268
  Phone: (203) 429-8402, Fax: (203) 487-1185, BBS: (203) 429-3784

Personal REXX can be used as macro language for Mansfield KEDIT 4.0
(DOS and OS/2 versions, same prices, compatible to the VM/CMS XEDIT) or
as a stand alone "batch" processor.

Excellent, highly compatibles products from a company that listens to
the users.

When a new REXX program is executed for the first time, Personal REXX
appends a tokenized version of it to the text file containing the ASCII
source. Further calls to the program execute the faster tokenized
version of it. As the binary version of the program is separated from
the ASCII source by an EOF character, you don't see it when you edit
the source. Upon any modification of the source the tokenizing is done
again.

This is basically the same as the EXECMOD PACKAGE does, the difference
is that the source code and the "compiled" version are stored in the
same file.

Usual disclaimer.

andreas lang

------------------------------

Date: Mon Feb 25 12:49:40 1991
From: microsoft!richgi@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: the query about changing EXE headers:

The utility program EXEHDR supplied with Microsoft compilers can do
what you ask.  Earlier MS compilers had a utility called EXEMOD which
also can do things like change the stack size of an exe file.

Richard Gillmann
Microsoft Languages

------------------------------

Date: (null)
From: karl@brock1p.bitnet
Subject: HEXA I/O Plus Multi-Function Plus Card

  I have a "Hexa I/O Plus Multi-Function Plus" card in my PC-XT
Compatible, and want to add the second serial port myself.  I know I'll
need to get a 825x UART and the 1488 and 1489 support chips to add onto
the board (there are already spaces for them).  I even know how to set
up the jumpers on the card to use this port (I think, since I have the
maunal that goes with it).  What I would like to know is does anyone
know how to wire to 10-pin block to a DB-9 or DB-25 connector?  I would
really regret having to go through the time an trouble of using a logic
probe to figure out what pins are for what.

                             Thanks in advance,
                             Karl Gaston

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 26 Feb 1991 08:52:51 EST
From: m14051@mwvm.mitre.org (John DeCarlo)
Subject: Arranging Program Group Icons in Win 3.0

>From: <JFL4%PSUVM@uga.cc.uga.edu>

>I know this is a trivial question, but the situation gets to be
>aggravating.  Can anyone tell me how to arrange the Group Program Icons
>in Windows 3.0 and have them *stay that way!* I've tried the "save on
>exit" approach and they still end up at the bottom of the screen on the
>next start-up, obscuring each other's titles.  As a matter of fact,
>I've tried a lot of things, and nothing works.

You cannot do what you want.  You can change the order in which they
are jumbled on the screen, as the last one activated is the first one
listed.  You can also change the spacing between the icons so that you
can read the titles, by going into the Control Panel and Desktop and
increasing the default Icon spacing.

But, you cannot have Win3 remember the location of the Gropu icons in
Program Manager, though it will do so for any Program icons that are in
the Groups.  A mis-feature, IMHO.

Internet: jdecarlo@mitre.org
Usenet:   @...@!uunet!hadron!blkcat!109!131!John_Decarlo
Fidonet:  1:109/131

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 10:02:28 CST
From: Crede Edens <edens@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Bad CRC error from Hard Disk (V91 #35)

Chris Spatgen stated the above message was received from his machine
when PC Tools was run on it.

Try running SPINRITE or Disk Technician on it.  One of these will
usually fix any error condition on a hard disk (if it can be fixed).  I
have had very good luck with SPINRITE.

Good Luck

Crede Edens     edens@stl-06sima.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 09:24 EST
From: LINDA@northeastern.edu
Subject: Finite Element Analysis Software

David Dodell asks in V91 No.38:

>I am looking for a program, either shareware or commercial, that can do
>"Finite Element Analysis"...does anyone have any recommendations.

David,

I do not know of any specific software, but you might want to contact
Dr. James Cheverud at Washington University School of Medicine. He is
an anthropologist who has published extensively on craniofacial
development using finite element analysis. He is an expert in the use
of the technique knows where you can obtain such software, he does. His
address is:

Dr. James Cheverud
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
Box 8108
660 S. Euclid Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110

I am sure he has an BITNET/INTERNET address, but I do not have it. Good
luck!

Douglas B. Hanson, Ph.D.
Bioengineering Department
Forsyth Dental Center
140 Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
BITNET:linda@NUHUB
CSERVE:70134,3032

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 08:20:47 EST
From: James McNealy <sasjcm@unx.sas.com>
Subject: Gateway 2000 Experience Wanted (V91 #19)

> I'm interested in knowing if anybody has had any experience with
> the company Gateway2000.  I'm looking at purchasing a 386sx pc
> from them.

I bought a 386-25 from Gateway and I'm very pleased. I have found
both the sales and suppport staffs to be competent and helpfull.

Jim McNealy          SAS Institute Inc. SAS Circle
sasjcm@unx.sas.com   Box 8000 Cary,  NC 27512-8000
phone (919)677-8000 x6173 fax(919)677-8123

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 16:39:24 EST
From: Lynn Buckman <LGB@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Help

I am a fairly new subscriber and would like to download a file that is,
I believe, on PD1:MSDOS.EDUCATION.  Would someone mind walking me
through all of the steps as if it were the first time (since it will be
for me)?  Thanks.

[I forwarded the file describing how to download files.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 91 07:59:24 GMT
From: steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell)
Subject: IBM Keyboard specs?

  Hey, no problem. I designed a graphic system and wanted to use the
101 keyboards, so I posted to sci.electronics, and I got enough replys
to interface with ease. Its trick, but works like a charm once done.

  For more info go to sci.electronics and you will find it.  its called
IBM Keyboard Output.

  And thanks to those who posted info.  Steve h
------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 91 16:18:20 GMT
From: dpsc!nva1726@dsac.dla.mil (Gregory H Sanborn)
Subject: RE: Data Error, Track 0 Bad (V91 #34)

Included in Central Point Software's Copy II PC Version 6 is a program
called BULKERAS.COM.  Running this is the same as running your diskette
through a bulk eraser magnet.  It wipes everything off the disk,
including formatting and anything on track 0.  Many disks thought
unusable can then be (re)formatted.

My opinion is my own, and in no way reflects those of my employer, and
am in no way connected with Central Point Software.  Copy II PC is a
trademark of Central Point Software.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 09:23 EST
From: LINDA@northeastern.edu
Subject: Paradox Discussion List

Drew Radtke asks in V91 #36:

>Is there a listserv type discussion group for users of Borland Paradox?
>Any version will do although I'm on 3.5

Drew,

There is a Paradox group noted in the List-of-Lists. The list is
PARADOX@BRUFPB.  I no nothing about the list, but have heard via other
lists that there have been problems accessing that particular node
recently.

Give it a try

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 09:59:00 N
From: VANTENT%HROEUR5.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: pkzfind for filenames, not text

In a message of <Mon, 25 Feb 91 14:06:54 MEZ>
Eberhard Scherzler <MAT430@DE0HRZ1A> wrote to
Matthias Drobnitzky <IUL@DACTH51>:

 > I suggest you register for PKZIP. You will receive an extra utility
 > PKFIND which presumably does what you asked for.

I don't think so, at least PKZFIND doesn't search for text in files, and
it has to be registered too. According to the program info:

 Recursively searches subdirectories + ZipFiles for specified files.
and: If you find PKZFIND useful and convenient, a registration of $25
would be appreciated.  Send registrations to:    PKWARE, Inc.

Regards,
<Jan>

------------------------------

Date: Thu,21 Feb 91 11:23:31 GMT
From: SMR49@hull.ac.uk
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #33

Could anyone tell me how to get rid of the feature where the NumLock
key automatically switches itself on when the computer is switched on
or booted up.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 1991 17:01:32 +0100
From: Karl Anders Oygard <data3d%aahs.no@SEARN.SUNET.SE>
Subject: MS-DOS -> VMS

I have been trying to establish contact between our VAX and some PC's
we have here at our school for quite some time now, and while I have
succeeded in using the PC's as terminals for the VAX, it is quite
impossible to up/download anything to/from the VAX/PC. I do haeve a
Norwegian PC-KOM program installed, but its Kermit protocol is for some
reason incompatible with the VAX Kermit.

In the past time I have tried to write a program in MS-DOS that reads
the networking port and writes any incoming data to the serial port and
vice versa.  This way I could use a normal communications package to
read the serial port of the PC connected to the VAX, and get away with
it. Anyway, this was not quite as easy as I had thought it to be.

I'm not quite certain who manufactured the networking cards etc., but
communication with the network in M/C goes something like this:

Load buffer adress in ES:BX
Load number of characters to read/write in CX
Read: ah=1 / Write ah=0
Perform an INT 6bh

While this is sufficient for reading and writing, I do not know how to
test for incoming data.

I may be attacking this problem in the completely wrong way. All I want
is to establish a link between the VAX and the PC's so that I can
transfer files between the computers.

Karl Anders Oygard
More & Romsdal Highschool of Engineering, Norway        'Life *SUCKS*!'
Karl Anders Oygard <data3d@aahs.no>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 08:19:51 CST
From: Doug Lockhart <MIDLL%UMSVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

So, Why do I want to direct my com port to an lpt port? Well, I'm
running Novell ELS level II over my network. It'll capture anything I
send to lpt ports and direct it to a network printer on either an lpt
port or a com port off the file server. It won't, however, capture data
sent to a local com port. I'd like to be able to do this so I can
install a plotter on the file server and access it from any
workstation.

Doug Lockhart, MMRI
MIDLL@UMSVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 12:29:22 EST
From: pac@WOOD.CERC.WVU.WVNET.EDU
Subject: Quickbbs v2.66 and BBS utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbs>
MSGTALLY.ZIP    Total messages in conferences QBBS/RA/SuperBBS
PSTLG300.ZIP    Generates bulletin for # of messages - QBBS/RA
QBBS266O.ZIP    Quickbbs v2.66 - Overlay version (no docs)
QDOC_266.ZIP    Quickbbs v2.66 - Documentation
QEXE_266.ZIP    Quickbbs v2.66 - Non-overlay version (no docs)
QUM_120.ZIP     QBBS/RA/SuperBBS user editor
USA_100.ZIP     QBBS/RA/SuperBBS statistics generator

           Michael A. Packer ==>  pac@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #47
-------