Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/11/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed,  6 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  53

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      3 1/2 DD disks and HH disks
                           4dos memory usage
               Economics and Economic Modelling Question
             Determining Correct Amount of Installed Memory
                  Telix updates (3.13 coming out soon)
                              Re: Unix(s)

Today's Queries:
                           DISABLE Control-C
                    IDE Interface Information Wanted
                  reading 41st track of 360k floppies

New Uploads:
       DDE-10.ZIP - Dialing Directory Editor v1.0 for PCPlus 2.0
       FIXKEY.ZIP, DCFONTS.ZIP, PRTGL109.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20
       SPUTILS.ZIP - Batch & screen-save utilities w/mouse input
       TP6XMS.ZIP - Extended Memory Specification unit for TP 6.0
      TTALK027.ZIP - Speech synthesizer ctrl pgm for the sightless

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 19:14:53 PST
From: 6600arac%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Wolf)
Subject: 3 1/2 DD disks and HH disks

Don't risk it.  The magnetic media on DD disks is not strong enough to
hang on to the coding.  I use the Verbatim Bonus disks.  They cost just
a little more than DD's, but I want my data *safe*.  Even if it is just
a backup.  Remember, you may need that backup one day.

Wolf
6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Internet)
6600arac@ucsbuxa.bitnet   (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 18:53:36 MEZ
From: Thomas <UNP072%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: 4dos memory usage

Yes, you are perfectly right, if you say, that memory savings are
neglectible, when replacing command.com with 4dos.

But things change, if you replace 4dos + ced + all these nice TSRs you
wouldn't want to live without with 4dos. If you just use your command-
line-interpreter to start windows or xtree, it's not worth the effort
installing it. But if you use your CLI (Command Line Interpreter)
excessively (as i do), you will soon discover, that it's 4dos, you
wouldn't want to live without... ;-)

                  - Thomas

PS: this is what manifest says about memory usage of command.com / 4dos:

command.com, /e=512
First Meg / Programs
                   Memory Area   Size   Description
                   1306 - 13EA   3.6K   COMMAND
                   13EB - 13EE   0.1K   [Available]
                   13EF - 140F   0.5K   COMMAND Environment
                   1410 - 1414   0.1K   KEYB Environment
                   1415 - 156B   5.4K   KEYB
                   156C - 1570   0.1K   DRIP3 Environment
                   1571 - 1592   0.5K   DRIP3
                   1593 - 9FFF   553K   [Available]

DOS / Overview
          DOS version 3.30

          Kernel:      37K*
          Drivers:     33K
          Base Data:  3.6K            Memory Area   Size   Description
            Total:     74K            0070 - 0279   8.2K   IO
                                      027A - 09C6    29K   MSDOS
            FILES=20                  09C7 - 1221    33K   Drivers
            FCBS=1,0                  1222 - 1254   0.8K   15 FILES
            BUFFERS=5                 1255 - 1258   0.1K   1 FCBS
            LASTDRIVE=H               1259 - 12DC   2.1K   4 BUFFERS
            STACKS=0,0                12DD - 1305   0.6K   Drive List

          * Includes:
              5 FILES and
              1 BUFFERS

4dos, EMS swapping:
First Meg / Programs
                   Memory Area   Size   Description
                   1306 - 13B4   2.7K   COMMAND
                   13B5 - 13D5   0.5K   COMMAND Environment
                   13D6 - 13DA   0.1K   KEYB Environment
                   13DB - 1531   5.4K   KEYB
                   1532 - 1535   0.1K   DRIP3 Environment
                   1536 - 1557   0.5K   DRIP3
                   1558 - 9FFF   554K   [Available]

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 16:09:20 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Economics and Economic Modelling Question

There was a question in Digest #26 asking about a mailing list for
information on economics and macro economic modelling.  I am not sure
you want a "mailing list", rather you probably want to be able to
search the database of the Journal of Economic Literature.
Fortunately, it is one of the subset databases that is available off
hours from Dialog on their Knowledge Index at a flat $25 per hour.  A
typical search might cost $5.00.  They charge to your charge card.  The
database allows full keyword searching of over 200 economic journals
and contains 130,000 records.  I am sure you can stay up to date using
it.

You can sign up for Knowledge Index by calling 1-800-334-2564.

I am in no way affiliated with KI or Knight Ridder, just happy that
they finally got the database online after many years of hand searching
it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 21:45:13 PST
From: rkim@UCSD.EDU (KimBob)
Subject: Determining Correct Amount of Installed Memory

I have a perplexing, though not detrimental, problem.

I have an Epson Equity I+ w/ ATI Ega Wonder card, and when I run Norton
5.0 sysinfo, it reports that I have 18,000K of EXTENDED memory,
according to the CMOS value.  I know it's impossible for an XT to have
EXTENDED memory.  Also Norton's disk utility (the one that's comparable
to SpinRite) also reports that I have 18,000K of EXTENDED memory and
refuses to run.  I once disconnected the CMOS battery and plugged it
back in, and punched in the new values for the CMOS RAM, but still, the
problem is not solved.

Other programs, like PCTools6 report the correct amount of RAM I have,
as well as Norton SI (from 4.5).  What's going on???

Thanks
Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.     kimbob@ucsd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1991 22:59:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Telix updates (3.13 coming out soon)

Tim Williams asked whether Telix 3.12 was going to be updated.

Answer:  Yes.  Exis Inc. is beta-testing Telix 3.13 right now (I'm one
of the beta-testers).  Assuming no problems, I understand they're
hoping to release 3.13 within a matter of weeks.

Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

------------------------------

Date:  4 Mar 91 20:41:16 GMT
From: randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton)
Subject: Re: Unix(s)

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>  There is an advertisment in the February '91 issuse of Computer
>Shopper (Page 663), it introduces a a clone of UNIX system called
>'Coherent'.  It can run under a 286 or 386 that has 10MB disk space
>and 640KB memory.

I believe that Coherent is limited to 64K Code and 64K data per
process.  I don't *know*, just *read* it somewhere.  But if so, this
would strongly limit your ability to pull programs off the net and
expect them to compile.

-Randy

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 91 15:22:00 GMT+109:13
From: "VAXA::ANDY" <andy%vaxa.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil>
Subject: DISABLE CNTR-C

I know this is a question that has probably been answered a hundred
times before, but I am in need of a fast solution.

I have a freind who is in charge of the PC where he works.  He has all
the users run a security program that prompts for a name and password
before acces is granted.  This is no special program, just some
shareware thing he got off of a bbs.  Since the program is run through
autoexec.bat, some users found that if they hold control-c down while
the pc boots they stop the security program from running.  This
wouldn't be a problem except that some of the users are clueless about
how dos works and end up deleting files or formating the hard drive.  I
know an easier solution would be to cut a finger off each person who
does this, but it would be nicer to just disable control-c at boot.
Preferably through config.sys.  Is this possible?

- Andy Sullivan
= andy%vaxb.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil
- Aquidneck Data Company
= 170 Enterprise Center
- Middletown, RI 02840
= (401) 847-7260

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 14:13:59 CST
From: me <S103637@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU>
Subject: IDE Interface Information Wanted

I recently purchased a 286-clone that has an IDE (interface?) built
into it.  I have heard that these IDE drives are the coming thing, that
they are very fast, etc. what is the 'low down' on these drives?  Are
they faster in general than the other types, etc.  Also any good
suggestions for drives in the 40-80 meg range would be appreciated.

Another thing, I am used to ftp-ing from wuarchive and uark and ftp
sites like that.  Your ftp system is set up totally different, and I
have trouble finding my way around.  How do you do the simple little
act of changing the directory?  ?? i have tried cd 'everything i can
think of' and nothing seems to work..  Any suggestions on this
would be appreciated also... Thank you

Kirby Vandivort  s103637@umrvma

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 13:58:12 EDT
From: BOWMAN%MOREKYPR.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: reading 41st track of 360k floppies

I am new to this list.  I am the Manager of Academic Computing (yuk,
don't let the title throw you off, I have a strong tech. background)
for Morehead State University, Morehead, KY.

We recently discovered a strain of the Ohio virus.  I know the virus
writes portions of its code in both the boot sector and the 41st track
of a 360k floppy diskette.  I am attempting to reverse engineer the
virus and have been able to get the code from the boot sector.  HERE IS
MY PROBLEM:

I need to read and/or write to the 41st track of a diskette.  How do I
do this?  Is there an easy, brute-force mechanism, or do I have to do
address/hardware level transfers?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Todd Bowman                          bowman@morekypr.bitnet
Manager of Academic Computing
Morehead State University
Morehead, KY 40351

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 16:26:36 -0600
From: David Gersic <gersic@MP.CS.NIU.EDU>
Subject: DDE-10.ZIP - Dialing Directory Editor v1.0 for PCPlus 2.0

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.procomm>
DDE-10.ZIP      Dialing Directory Editor v1.0 for PCPlus 2.0

DDE allows editing of Procomm Plus 2.0 dialing directory to arrange
entries in any order.

David
gersic@mp.cs.niu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 91 17:33:54 +1100
From: zlraa@MARLIN.JCU.EDU.AU (Ross Alford)
Subject: FIXKEY.ZIP, DCFONTS.ZIP, PRTGL109.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.keyboard>
FIXKEY.ZIP      TSRs to remap caps-lock and ctrl keys on XT/AT

pd1:<msdos.cad>
DCFONTS.ZIP     Simplex,duplex,roman,italic for Draft Choice

pd1:<msdos.plot>
PRTGL109.ZIP    Output HPGL files on laser/ink/matrix LPT, CRT

Longer descriptions:

FIXKEY.ZIP.  Two small TSR programs that allow those of us who use a
laptop system, eg. Toshiba, with the Ctrl-key in the right place, and
an "improved" AT-style system, with Cap-lock where Ctrl should be, to
switch between machines without going mad.  The keys in both places on
both machines are made to function as Ctrl, with shift-capslock
toggling capslock mode.

DCFONTS.ZIP.  Four Hershey fonts (Duplex Roman, Duplex Italic, Duplex
sans- serif, and Simplex) adapted to work with Trius Inc.'s Draft
Choice CAD package, which is also available on SIMTEL as DCxxx.ZIP.

PRINTGL109.  An excellent program that allows viewing and printing HPGL
(7475 plotter) files on various devices, including CGA, HGC, EGA, VGA,
SVGA video, Laserjet/Deskjet  printers, Epson, NEC, IBM 9 and 24-pin
printers, etc. Works much better than a similar commercial product I've
tried.  Allows heaps of adjustment to such things as pen width, pen
shading, plot size and scaling.  Graphics printed using this on a
Deskjet actually look *better* than on an HP plotter with fiber-tipped
pens, and you have more ability to adjust things.  Shareware.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 91 12:11:29 EST
From: steve@CAD0.ARCH.UNSW.OZ.AU (Stephen Peter)
Subject: SPUTILS.ZIP - Batch & screen-save utilities w/mouse input

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.batutil>
SPUTILS.ZIP     Batch & screen-save utilities w/mouse input

The README.DOC file describes and lists executables and documentaiton
files in the zip file.

cheers
Stephen Peter                          steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au
School of Architecture,            or  steve@keystone.arch.unsw.oz.au
University of New South Wales
Australia

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 13:02:16 +0200
From: Yuval Tal <NYYUVAL%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TP6XMS.ZIP - Extended Memory Specification unit for TP 6.0

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 an eXtended Memory Specification unit for
Turbo Pascal 6.0 which I have written.

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
TP6XMS.ZIP      Extended Memory Specification unit for TP 6.0

-Yuval
Yuval Tal <NYYUVAL%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 17:01:28 EST
From: wtm@BUNKER.SHEL.ISC-BR.COM (Bill McGarry)
Subject: TTALK027.ZIP - Speech synthesizer ctrl pgm for the sightless

I have uploaded the following to the SIMTEL20 archives:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
TTALK027.ZIP    Speech synthesizer ctrl pgm for the sightless

TTALK is Tiny Talk, a small speech program written by Eric Bohlman that
supports Artic, ASP, Audapter, Dectalk, Accent and the Echo GP
synthesizers.

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
            73170.1064@compuserve.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #53
-------