Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/12/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed,  6 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  51

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                             4DOS (2 msgs)
                          alignment diskettes
                      QuickBasic pecularities (?)

Today's Queries:
                           BIOS Scratch RAM?
                         Changing Fonts on a XT
                            MIDI Information
                         Unknow Modem - UPTA96
                         DOS Utilities desired
                    Turbo C V1.5 and <stat.h> erased

New Uploads:
             Latest McAfee anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20
        PCAP.ZIP - Saves Prodigy screens to COM files for review
        PLAY400.ZIP - Sound sampler, editor (VGA+mouse) & player
      RESPLAY1.ZIP - Sound sampling/playback rtns for programmers
                 *75.ZIP of McAfee anti-viral programs
              UUPC/extended release 1.09d is now available
                UUPC/extended 1.09d Download Information

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 22:47:39 -0500
From: Jun Guo <jguo%CS.NYU.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: 4DOS

OK, I have tried 4DOS 3.02a.

4DOS is designed to replace COMMAND.COM. My conclusion is that switch
from COMMAND.COM to 4DOS will not give you much more memory. The gain
is almost neglectable.

For one thing: COMMAND.COM only use 3.7K resident in lower memory. So
whichever COMMAND.COM claim to use less memory than COMMAND.COM, the
upper bound of the gain will be 3.7K. Which is not that a big deal in
my point of view.

The resident part of 4DOS is 3.0K, when the transient portion is
swapped to XMS. The overall memory saving on my system is a little more
than 1K.  When loaded to UMB (which can also be used to load hi your
TSRs and device drivers), the resident part will take 256B in lower
memory.

The transient portion will take 70K of XMS, (which could be used for
disk cache, RAM disk ...). So compared to COMMAND.COM, you will lose
70K of XMS, gain 1-3K of lower memory, and you also will face potential
incompatibility with other software, ...

So I don't think it make sense to switch to 4DOS for memory reason.
Though 4DOS is a very powerful command line processor.

I use NEC MS-DOS 3.30 by way of comparison. The memory usage figures
are from QuarterDeck Manifest and several other programs.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 91 09:21:17 -0400
From: pham@pX1.stfx.ca (Hai Pham)

Jun Guo wrote:

>4DOS is designed to replace COMMAND.COM. My conclusion is that switch from
>COMMAND.COM to 4DOS will not give you much more memory. The gain is almost
>neglectable.

I think you're missing the point of using 4DOS here, the manual states
pretty clearly the memory requirements of 4DOS.  Of course using it
won't save you any significant amount of memory - the manual never
claimed that using 4DOS would save you anything in standard memory.
What's amazing, though (and what you really ought to use 4DOS for) is
the power that it gives *without* taking up more memory.  Even if all
you wanted was 4DOS' history feature, using a TSR to provide you with
an equivalent feature would eat up at least 2-3K of conventional memory
alone.

>The transiet portion will take 70K of XMS, (which could be used for disk
>cache, RAM disk ...). So compared to COMMAND.COM, you will lose 70K of
>XMS, gain 1-3K of lower memory, and you also will face potential
>incompatibility with other software, ...

If XMS was that important to you, why don't you try swaping to the hard
drive?  Besides, what's 70K of XMS anyway?  If you're really concerned
with compatability, leave your COMMAND.COM intact (as the 4DOS manual
suggests), and set your 'comspec' environmet variable to COMMAND.COM
instead of 4DOS.  This way, if a program tries to access the command
interface, it will see COMMAND.COM instead.  There may be a few older
programs which does not look at the COMSPEC variable, but I've never
encountered such a thing.  I wouldn't use it anyway.

I've tried using 4DOS with everything from Turbo C and Turbo Pascal, to
WordPerfect, to Windows.  I've even used it while attached to a LAN
network with absolutely no problems.

>So I don't think it make sense to switch to 4DOS for memory reason.
>Though 4DOS is a very powerful command line processor.

Darned right there.  I do most of my work in UNIX, and use my DOS
machines for terminal emulation, writing reports, games, and other
things like such.  I have 4DOS installed on my computer at home, and
have used it for about a week or so now.  Before I found 4DOS, I was
doing things like trying to delete files using the UNIX command 'rm',
but with 4DOS' alias feature, all that is now put to rest.  As I've
said, I've tested 4DOS extensively with some pretty nasty software with
no problems thus far.

I highly recommend it to anyone, especially to fellow UNIX hackers
frustrated by DOS' almost UNIX command structure, and am now in the
process of putting asside money to register....if the wonderful
Canadian government doesn't tax away my savings towards my tuition
first.

hai

PS. I'm a university student with absolutely no connections to Rex Conn
& J.P. Software.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 08:54:29 MST
From: "Andrew S. Wainwright" <AUASW%ASUACAD.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: alignment diskettes

One note about cleaning boards.  When you clean contacts, especially on
old boards) make sure you clean up and down with the copper or gold.
If you rub side to side, you can "clean" the contacts right off the
board.  That's not very likly, but it's not something that you want to
happen.  So long as you don't rub from the edge of the contact you'll
be fine.  Also, rub only hard enough to get the contact shiny.  Once
again those contacts can get worn and brittle from heat, etc....

Don't let me scare you away from it.  Cleaning contacts is a good idea
if your having trouble transfering data between the computer and a
device, but just don't clean the contacts off the board.

On the subject of cleaning.  Spraying the drive down with compressed
air can also help get the 'bugs' out.  Make sure it is DRY.  EX:
Canned air (dust off).  If you use air from a compressor, make sure it
is filtered and had the water removed first, or else you'll get water
droplets everywhere.

Good luck and let us know what works.

Thanks,
Andrew S. Wainwright  INTERNET:  <AUASW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
                      IP:        <AUASW@129.219.10.24>
                      BITNET:    <AUASW@ASUACAD.INRE.ASU.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 13:26 MET
From: "Jim Groeneveld, NIPG-TNO, Leiden, NL" <JIM%RULTNO@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: QuickBasic pecularities (?)

Dear QBASIC lovers,

This a QB (vs. 4.5) test program demonstrating astonishing pecularities
contradictory to claims in the manual. See the comments: Test both with
and without the "/AH" command line parameter of QB/BC.

-----TEST.BAS-----
OPTION BASE 1
REM $DYNAMIC
COMMON record$() 'necessary?
DIM record$(1) 'in order to have the REM $DYNAMIC statement work (?)
record$(1) = SPACE$(32000)
'record$(1) = "" 'if you comment this "OUT OF STRING SPACE" occurs below
record$(1) = SPACE$(32000)
PRINT LEN(record$(1))
' the line below yields "OUT OF STRING SPACE" ; comment it for further test
IF record$(1) = SPACE$(32000) THEN PRINT "equal" ELSE PRINT "unequal"
INPUT "filename:"; filename$ 'name a file with lines with lengths of >24kb
OPEN "i", #1, filename$      'that file may have been created with:
WHILE NOT EOF(1)        'OPEN "o", #2, "long": PRINT #2, SPACE$(32767): CLOSE 2
 LINE INPUT #1, record$(1) ' always causes "OUT OF STRING SPACE" with lines
                           ' larger than about 24k bytes, while 32767 bytes
                           ' should be allowed to be read in one line
 PRINT LEN(record$(1))
WEND
CLOSE 1
END
----end of TEST.BAS----

Working with large strings (32767 long) in this way is essential for
me.  Apparently I cannot get it to work allright. As the claims of QB
may be regarded true, I presumably am doing something very wrong. What
do I do wrong? Who can help me?

My intention is to read and manipulate very (infinitely) long lines
sequentially.  In GWBASIC this can be accomplished very easy using LINE
INPUT:

a. if the string read by LINE INPUT is 0 to 254 characters long a whole
(or last part, see below) input line has been read; the CRLF are NOT
part of the string, but EOL has been found.

b. if the string read by LINE INPUT is 255 long (GWBASIC's maximum) a
partial line has been read (to be printed with ";" at the end to
suppress the CRLF output) and a succeeding LINE INPUT will read the
next part of the line (up to 255), as in a) or b).

In this way I am able to read and process very, very, very long lines,
only limited by the amount of disk space.

In QuickBasic the maximum length for strings (string elements) is 32767
instead of 255. Assuming the same algorithm would be valid substituting
32767 for 255 the same intention would be possible in QB, but the above
described problems hinder the application of the algorithm.

The solution to the problem would be:

a. a right solution to prevent the error reports above or

b. a limitation change for the maximum string length in QB from 32767
to a much lower value, e.g. 255.

I tried to circumvent the problem writing an alternate LINE INPUT
routine using char$=INPUT$(1,#1) and so on, interpreting the character,
checking for CR or LF, adding another character to a string, but that
finally also aborted because in the adding expression the initial as
well as the resulting strings became too long. Besides, such a solution
works very, very slowly, compared to LINE INPUT.

So again, who can help me or give me any hints?

Regards -Jim Groeneveld.
E-mail: GROENEVELD@NIPG.TNO.NL (internet address)
File xfer: GROENEVELD@HDETNO51.BITNET (EARN address)
NIPG-TNO [postal/visiting address] | Y. Groeneveld
P.O.Box 124    | Wassenaarseweg 56 | Schoolweg 14
2300 AC Leiden | 2333 AL Leiden    | 8071 BC Nunspeet
Nederland (NL) | (+31|0)71-178810  | 03412-60413
[office]     Fax (+31|0)71-176382  | [home]

-Replied via another mailbox address, general
  address is GROENEVELD@NIPG.TNO.NL

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 19:59:31 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: BIOS Scratch RAM?

   My BIOS is AMI 286 1989. In the set up options, it has: Scratch RAM
option: if required, BIOS will use 256 bytes of RAM

1) Using BIOS stack area at 0030:0000
2) Reducing base memory size by 1KB

   What does the scratch RAM do? What will result from the two options?

   Thanks.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: SAT, 02 MAR 91 18.11.06  EDT
From: <KK4D%MARISTB.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: Changing Fonts on a XT

I own a PC/XT compatable (an oldie but a goodie). I would like to know
if there is anyway to change the types of characters displayed.  It
would seem to me that all the info for how each character is placed on
either a text or graphics screen would have to be stored somewhere in
memory. Is there a way to get to this memory so I can redefine how each
character is drawn? Thanks...

           -Dan

[I've had a monochrome, Hercules, CGA, EGA and now a VGA adapter for my
IBM-PC/XT.  I've found that the font displayed depends on the type of
adapter.  I know that this doesn't answer your question, but...

You CAN modify the displayed font, within the limits of your video
adapter, by changing what is stored in ROM.  How?  By making the BIOS
point to RAM...  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 14:32 EST
From: <BPHDARCY@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: MIDI Information

I was wondering if anyone could either send me or direct me where to
find information on the standard MIDI file (*.MID).  I would like to
know about its format, headers, storage etc.  Any other information on
MIDI files would also be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Sean J. Roc D'Arcy
BPHDARCY@UBVMS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 19:19:05 ARG
From: Luis MAGNI <banyc!fmcba.sld.edu.ar!luis@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Unknow Modem - UPTA96

Does anyone know this modem?

I have a modem UPTA96, from ELECTRONIC VAULT INC, USA. It is based on a
set of chips from Rockwell (listed below). I do not have any manual or
indication how to use it.

Chips are labeled:

- R5300-17                    - 10462-12
  Rockwell 83                   6332740
  8418 0262                     8412

- R5301-17
  Rockwell 83
  8417 0182

If you hear of this (or have any information), please let me know.
Also, If you know the address of the manufacturerPlease let me know.

THANKS in advance.

Luis Magni - Administrador de Correo  Phone & Fax :(54-51)690442
Centro de Microscopia Electronica     CC 362 - 5000 CORDOBA
Universidad Nacional de Cordoba       ARGENTINA
postmaster@fmcba.sld.edu.ar           luis@fmcba.sld.edu.ar

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  1 Mar 91 09:49:42 -0500 (EST)
From: John Hudak <jh40+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: DOS Utilities desired

I am looking for Public Domain Software (PDS) to perform the following
utility tasks for a PC (286-386-486 class machines):

1.  Performing a disk copy from a 1.2 MB 3-1/2" disk to a 360 KB 5-1/4"
disk.  Problem is, for example, using XCOPY /s does indeed get the
sub-directories but, you have to manually keep track of the files that
have been copied and what hasen't.

2.  A screen saver utility similar to the Mac Morier pattern.  I am in
the process of making one with fractals but its getting too big.  Any
alternatives would be appreciated. (I already have a screen blank
program but I don't like it)

3.  Is there an easy method to return to the "std console" once the
"CTTY /COMX" has been issued (without rebooting)?  Also, is there a
way, to use UNIX parlance, to tee the I/O to the stdio device, i.e. the
console display before or after issusing the CTTY command?  It would
sometimes be helpful to see what is going on in my machine when
somebody has dialed in, among other things.

I can write these things but why re-invent the wheel? err....software.

Any help, either shareware or personal-ware would be appreciated.
John Hudak jh40@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Mar 91 16:33:15 GMT
From: MD2RJH%IBM.SHEFFIELD.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Turbo C V1.5 and <stat.h> erased

It's a long story, but I have managed to erase the stat.h header file
from both my original and backup disks for Turbo C (v1.5), has anyone
got a copy of this file (usually resides in the 'include sys'
directory) that they would be willing to send me? I'm asking here as it
may be quicker than all the fuss of user support!

                 Thanks in advance! Richard Hillier
                  md2rjh@uk.ac.shef.ibm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1991  18:17 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Latest McAfee anti-virals uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
CLEAN75.ZIP     Universal virus disinfector, heals/removes
NETSCN75.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 223 viruses, v75
SCANV75.ZIP     VirusScan, scans disk files for 222 viruses
VSHLD75.ZIP     Resident virus infection prevention program

These files were obtained directly from the McAfee BBS.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 91 09:24:00 CDT
From: Tom Cervenka <CTCT100%UICVMC.BITNET@UICVM.UIC.EDU>
Subject: PCAP.ZIP - Saves Prodigy screens to COM files for review

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.prodigy>
PCAP.ZIP        Saves Prodigy screens to COM files for review

PCAP allows a person to save the PRODIGY screen on the display (or any
display image for that matter) to a COM file. The screen can be
displayed later by running the COM file (program).

Tom Cervenka - Univ of Il at Chicago, Info Cntr, Phone 6-7739
Internet: ctct100@uicvmc.aiss.uiuc.edu         Prodigy: CMGB18A

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 17:58:56 GMT
From: Mark <mjhc8@ELECENG.BRADFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: PLAY400.ZIP - Sound sampler, editor (VGA+mouse) & player

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sound>
PLAY400.ZIP     Sound sampler, editor (VGA+mouse) & player

Play is a another package allowing playback of sound samples on a PC
speaker, or via cheap external hardware with the following features:

o Plays most samples - atari, amiga, mac, pc.

o Length of samples only limited by amount of free memory

o Graphical interface (VGA&MOUSE needed) allowing editing of samples

o Plays through standard PC speaker or cheap external hardware fitted
to a parallel port

o Can play/sample from command line for people without VGA

o Freeware - no functions disabled

Mark J Cox
University of Bradford, UK
mjhc8@eleceng.bradford.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:04:44 GMT
From: Mark <mjhc8@ELECENG.BRADFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: RESPLAY1.ZIP - Sound sampling/playback rtns for programmers

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sound>
RESPLAY1.ZIP    Sound sampling/playback rtns for programmers

Resplay is a memory resident program that lets high (or low) level
programmers use (and record) sound samples in their own programs.

o Uses under 2k of memory/ can be deinstalled
o Allows playback or recording of samples in any format/speed
o Not limited to 64k samples
o Playback/recording from simple hardware or to PC speaker
o Example program provided in C with details for other languages
o Companion to the PLAY400 program.
o Freeware - no functions disabled, no cost.

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 14:30:54 PST
From: Aryeh Goretsky <ozonebbs!aryehg@APPLE.COM>
Subject: *75.ZIP of McAfee anti-viral programs

WHAT'S NEW

     Version 75 of VIRUSCAN adds seven new viruses and fixes a problem
that caused Version 74-B to false alarm on diskettes formatted with
Easy-Format.  We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused due
to this problem.  The new viruses added were:

     The Phantom virus is a memory-resident .COM file infector sent to
us from Budapest, Hungary by Dr. Szegedi Imre.  It contains a message
stating that it was written by the PHANTOM of the "Hungarian Virus
Developing Laboratory."  The Azusa virus is a memory-resident floppy
disk boot sector and hard disk partition table infector reported from
multiple sites in the U.S.  The V-299 is a direct-action .COM file
infector based on the Amstrad virus.  It is not memory-resident.  The
V-555 virus is a memory-resident .COM, .EXE, and overlay infector.
The Lazy virus is a memory-resident .COM file infector.  When it is
resident, it slows down the processor and screen output significantly.
For more information about these viruses, please refer to the enclosed
VIRLIST.TXT file.

     Version 75 of CLEAN-UP adds removal of the Azusa virus, a floppy
disk boot sector and hard disk partition table virus that has been
reported in multiple sites in the U.S.

     Version 75 of VSHIELD and NETSCAN add prevention against and
network detection of the above-listed viruses, respectively.

NB:  I've received several pieces of mail regarding Version 74
incompatibilities with the NEC and Zenith OEM Versions of DOS 3.3.  The
NEC version of DOS uses a nonstandard partitioning scheme to "get
around" the 32Mb hard disk size limit imposed by DOS.  VIRUSCAN Version
74 was unable to recognize this and as a result would give a false
alarm.  Version 74 also misidentified the Zenith OEM version of DOS as
having the Swedish Diaster (yet another Stoned variant) virus in the
boot sector of formatted disks (hard and floppy).  This is due to the
fact that the boot sector contained the same code we were looking for
in the Swedish Diaster virus.  We've also found this code in 10Mb
Iomega Bournoulli disk cartridges and disks formatted with DR-DOS 5.0.
Version 74-B corrected this problem.

We are sorry for any inconvenience or panic caused by our error.

Aryeh Goretsky

PS:  I've also gotten several messages about my internet address.  To
the best of my knowledge, the site I'm calling from, "ozonebbs.uucp" is
on the networks maps and I can be reached as "aryehg@ozonebbs.uucp" if
this fails, please try "ozonebbs!aryehg@apple.com" which should reach
me.  In the event this one bounces also, Mr. Keith Peterson has
graciously set up the following mail address
"aryehg@tacom-emh1.army.mil" A special note of thanks to all who have
persevered in their efforts to reach me (thanks Keith!). -- Aryeh

Aryeh Goretsky, Tech Support               vox (408) 988-3832
McAfee Associates                          fax (408) 970-9727
4423 Cheeney Street                        bbs (408) 988-4004
Santa Clara, California  95054-0253                        //
Internet:  aryehg@ozonebbs.uucp                           //
UUCP:  apple!netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg             \X/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Mar 1991 12:34:33 EST
From: "Snuffles P. Bear" <snuffles@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: UUPC/extended release 1.09d is now available

UUPC/extended is a PC based version (and pun of) UUCP (UNIX-to-UNIX
copy).  UUPC/extended allows a MS-DOS based Personal Computer to
exchange mail and files with a UNIX system or other UUPC/extended
system over dial up or dedicated phone lines using the UUCP "g"
protocol.

The new release includes a new command parser for the mail program,
fixes for sending mail with no subject from a file, and UUIO hanging
when the telephone connection is lost while receiving a file.

The list of bug fixes and numerous recommendations for improvement
that were made in release 1.09d are listed in the .ZIP file.

Snuffles P. Bear

This is a bear signature file.  Give me time!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Mar 1991 12:35:04 EST
From: "Snuffles P. Bear" <snuffles@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: UUPC/extended 1.09d Download Information

     UUPC/extended 1.09d is available via:

*  Anonymous FTP from sun.soe.clarkson.edu, directory pub/uupc.
*  Anonymous FTP from wsmr-simtel20.army.mil, directory
PD1:<MSDOS.UUCP>.
*  Automated mail server running on Clarkson University's
sun.soe.clarkson.edu.
*  Clarkson University BBS
*  The Kermit server running on kendra, my home system.

     Because kendra is the system I develop UUPC/extended on, the files
available from kendra's kermit server will always be the definitive
versions.  However, I have no intention of releasing an excessive
number of releases, so normally the FTPable version will be current.

     Because of time and disk space restrictions, I do not mail copies
of the source or executables, provide custom .ARC or .ZIP files with
only a limited set of the files, or provide other distribution
services-- please don't ask.  I do answer my mail, especially from
other people who have modifed on UUPC/extended or UUPC, and I also at
least acknowledge bug reports (remember, I run this software too).

     FTP programs vary from system to system; contact your local system
support staff for instructions on anonymous FTP.  Note that because of
simtel20's popular archives, sun.soe.clarkson.edu is generally easier
to connect to via anonymous FTP.

     Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu and ask for help.
Once you read the read help message, you can request files using
commands such as "send uupc uupc09du.zip".

     The Clarkson University Bulletin Board is a Xenix system, and can
be reached 24 hours a day at (315)268-6667, 8N1, 1200/2400 Baud.  To
get the "login:"  prompt, you may have to send a BREAK.  New users
should download 00readme.bbs from the root directory.

     To retrieve UUPC/extended via Kermit, you will have to have a
Kermit which can issue the GET and FINISH commands to a Kermit server.

       1. Set your Kermit to:

            *  Its maximum packet size         (optional)
            *  3 byte checksum                 (optional)
            *  2 Windows                       (optional)
            *  1200 or 2400 baud
            *  No parity
            *  ^S/^Q flow control

       2. Call Kendra at 17-641-4817 between 10 am and 5 pm weekdays,
and any night between midnight and 5 AM (All times are Eastern).  At
all other times, the system will reject your call.

       3. After connect, press ENTER and kendra's "login:" prompt will
appear.  Enter the user id "anonymous"and press ENTER.

       4. The "password:"  prompt will appear.  Enter the password,
"ribbit", and press ENTER.

          Note: Both the user id and password are case sensitive, and
you cannot backspace when typing them in.  If you make an error then
press ENTER until you get the "login:"  prompt again and start over.
The user id will not echo until you press ENTER, and the password will
not echo at all.

       5. A short hello message will appear, and then Kermit-MS will
await your command.  Escape to your local command mode, and then issue
a GET for one or more of the files listed below.

       6. When done, issue the FINISH command to shutdown the Kermit
server.  DO NOT just hang up your telephone, because then you will lock
up kendra, which is not critical but is unkind since now you know
better.

     The files available include:

               Name                   Description
         uupc09ds.zip    Source files for UUPC/extended, PKZIP format
         uupc09dw.zip    Raw documentation files for UUPC/extended,
                         PKZIP format.
         uupc09du.zip    Run time (.EXE and .DOC files) only,
                         PKZIP format.
         howtoget.doc    This file.  (Only available on kendra and
                         sun.soe.clarkson.edu)
         announce.doc    A summary of the new release. (Only available
                         on kendra and sun.soe.clarkson.edu)

     The file uupc09ds.zip includes the source, makefiles for Turbo C++
and MS C 6.0.  The uupc09du.zip file includes the executables and
formatted documents.  Both uupc09ds.zip and uupc09du.zip include the
same sample files.

     The uupc09ds.zip file should be PKUNZIPed with the unpack
directory (-d) option.

     The files names change with each release, to include the release
number in the file name.  The source .ZIP file will always have an "S"
suffix, and the user file (executables) will always have a "U" suffix.
The raw documents .ZIP file will always have a "W" suffix.

     Russ Nelson of Clarkson University's Educational Computing Systems
and Keith Peterson of simtel20 aid me in getting each release out to
the public.  Many thanks to both of them, and also to Clarkson
University's Educational Resources Center for providing upload
facilities.

     A final thanks to Alan Steele of the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology and eddie.mit.edu for handling kendra's Internet mail
forwarding (including all those questions to help@kendra.kew.com).

     I use UUPC/extended to answer the telephone on kendra, and
MS-Kermit is the program I run to provide the Kermit server; the
current source and executable for MS-Kermit is available via anonymous
FTP from watsun.cc.columbia.edu.

     Please direct all questions to help@kendra.kew.com.
--
Snuffles P. Bear

This is a bear signature file.  Give me time!

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #51
-------