Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/18/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  9 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  57

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                     DVI previews for VGA (V91 #40)
                      Re: Extended/Expanded - ARG!
                               gcc & g++
                         Soundblaster (V91 #48)
              Matrix Layout Bulletins BBS Available in UK
                Federal Court Ruling on Windows vs Apple
          Using the upper row of the numeric cluster (V91 #44)

Today's Queries:
                   Printer (Networked) Recommendation
                        Request for PC LAN help

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 8 MAR 91 13:09:50 GMT
From: CHAA006@vax.rhbnc.ac.uk
Subject: DVI previews for VGA (V91 #40)

>> Any one recommand a good Tex DVI viewer for VGA (SVGA better)?
>>    I have looked at dvivga and dview. dvivga is quite nice except
>> it didn't implement special (graphics).

>I used DVIVGA and found it to be pretty good, and I had some complex
>mathematical formulas to view.  You could try posting this question on
>the various TeX lists (TeXMag, TeXhax, etc) if you haven't already done
>so.

Try DVISCR, by Eberhard Mattes, packaged as part of emTeX.  It uses
grey-scaling and is excellent.

          Philip Taylor
           Royal Holloway and Bedford New College,
           ``The University of London at Windsor"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 22:43:34 EST
From: Mohit Chadha <MCHADHA@SBCCVM>
Subject: Extended/Expanded - ARG!

>     My machine says 640K base, 384K extended memory when I boot.
> I      always seem to run out of memory, especially now that I'm
> trying to use a few more drivers.  I don't think that I'm using
> any of the 384 extended, and I was wondering if anyone could give
> me some hints on how to use the elusive extended memory.

Unless you have a 386, there's not much you can do with this High
Memory.  On a 386, memory managers like QEMM and 386 to the Max can
convert part of this upp er memory to be used to load drivers and TSRs
into High Memory (that is, above the 640k conventional memory).

On a 286, such memory managers need expanded memory to work with, they
cannot convert extended to expanded.

                                 ---  Mohit Chadha

Bitnet: mchadha@sbccvm        Internet: mchadha@ccvm.sunysb.edu
CompuServe: 70132,1546        Tel : (516)669-5218

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 12:43:40 GMT
From: ZM BEN-HALIM <benhalzm@uhura.aston.ac.uk>
Subject: gcc & g++

GNU is a project of the "Free Software Foundation" started by Richard
Stallman and others to provide FREE clones of all Unix(tm) programs and
ultimately to clone Unix(tm) itself. The latter purpose is somewhat off
in the future. In the meanwhile the FSF has produced many programs
including gcc and g++.

GCC is a free replacement for unix's CC -- including source code. G++
is a clone of AT&T C++ (actually it's a native-code compiler whereas
Cfront is a C++->C translator).  All GNU software is aimed at Unix(tm)
platforms; ports to other systems have been done with a varying degree
of success.  GNU software is famous for its good quality and the
availability of source code, but is notorious for its hunger for
memory.

  As far as I know GCC and G++ do not support 80x86 processors where
x<3.  On the 386(protected mode) it only supports the various versions
of Unix(tm) including MINIX-386.  DOS is out of the question 'cause it
runs in real-mode, until somebody rewrites it.  GCC does run on the
68000 + >1Mb, G++ >2.5Mb.

  Hope this helps!!

benhalzm%uhura.aston.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 23:33:09 PST
From: Iain_Philipps.Bridge_House@rxuk.xerox.com
Subject: Soundblaster (V91 #48)

>From: jay@zen.cac.stratus.com (Jay Appell)

>There are two additional chips that can be added for additional voices
>on the Soundblaster card. Does someone know if these chips can be
>purchased from a source other than the vendor ?

These, I presume, are the CMS music upgrade. I searched everywhere when
I wanted some and didn't find an alternative supplier. Cost should be
about $40 (or less).

I eventually purchased the genuine article, plugged them in, ran the
supplied test utility, and they seems to work just fine. NOW .... if
only someone could tell me what I need them for :-)

Iain

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 15:55:35
From: PR2JBC@primea.sheffield.ac.uk
Subject: Matrix Layout Bulletins

For all matrix layout programmers in Great Britain, there is a free
User Group and bulletin board. Dial 0629-57258, 8N1, 1200 baud.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 08:21:52 EST
From: "Woogie" <mjw%eng.ufl.edu@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu>
Subject: Federal Court Ruling on Windows vs Apple

My wife forwarded this interesting tidbit to me this morning about the
Apple v. Microsoft/HP suit...

Date: Fri, 8 MAR 91 14:46:30 GMT
From: CHAA006@vax.rhbnc.ac.uk
Subject: Using the upper row of the numeric cluster (V91 #44)

>I want to use the upper row of keys on the numeric-pad; my problem is
>the numlock-key. I want to disable the light, which is associated with
>it and then use the key as any other one, but not to toggle between
>numeric-pad ON/OFF. Any suggestion/pseudo-code/... appreciated.

Look for Bob Eager's "Gold" program at Simtel-20;  I'm afraid I have
forgotten exactly where it lives.

          Philip Taylor
          Royal Holloway and Bedford New College,
          "The University of London at Windsor"

[Try:

PD2:<MSDOS2.KERMIT>
NM100.ARC          Use Num Lock for VT100/300 PF1/GOLD in Kermit

gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 21:07:27 EST
From: Lowe Robert LTC <4r8345@westpoint-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Printer (Networked) Recommendation

Greg --

Have the requirement for a network addressable printer -- 20-30 ppm
speed, postscript capable.

Do you have any recommendations?

  Steve Lowe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 91 17:44:51 EST
From: Fred Nixon <FNIXON%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Request for PC LAN help

I would be most grateful if someone could supply a bit of help.  I
would like to wrest control of the DOS critical error handler from the
PC LAN program, in order to prevent it from invoking the DOS ce handler
in the event of a network error (thus requiring manual action).  I have
been unsuccessful at attempting this - the error occurs while some
piece of PC LAN is in control, and DOS has reset the vector.

The circumstance is that I want to access a remote disk, but the
machine may be down.  I have tried requesting the status of the remote
machine via NetBIOS calls, but PC LAN seems to have taken over the
NetBIOS vector as well.  Attempts to issue NetBIOS calls are followed
by a ce interrupt from PC LAN if the remote node is down (after the
NetBIOS call completes).  I am puzzled, and would appreciate any info
or pointers to info.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #57
-------