Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 15 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  59

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                                *.tar.z
                            386 Motherboards
                        Adding memory to a 286.
                 cheap bar code reader for home use ...
                    Switching Off Numlock on Bootup
                         My *.tar.Z experiences
               Reply the SoundBlaster Question (V91 #48)
                      UUENCODER/UUDECODER in MACRO

Today's Queries:
                                DSS Info
                          Bug in cleanp v75 ?
                          hd support for OS/2
              Software to Print Cyrillic Characters wanted
                  Problems with an AT disk controller
                           Send-FAX software
                   TecMar JrCaptain - software needed
                            Missing kB on XT

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 14:51:00 +0100
From: Gerhardt Vogt <VOGT%EMBL.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: *.tar.z

I've used U16 (in "<msdos.fileutl>u16-v12.zip" without problems for
different files ("U16 fname > fname.tar") for uncompressing. The
executable i use to detar is called TAR.EXE, I don't remember the name
of the archive. I tried several detar programs, some have problems with
unix filenames, the one I use now simply takes the first 11 characters,
the only inconvenience is, that i have to tell the programs which
filetypes (exe, com, ovl ...) are binary, but that's a problem of
DOS-Unix not of the program.

Gerhard

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 91 08:09:26 EST
From: Steve Morytko <STEVE%UCONNVM.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: 386 Motherboards

BYTE Magazine ran an article on replacement motherboards in April 1990.
The article mentions Cache, Jameco, JC, JDR, DTK, Atronics, and other
motherboard vendors. I have a CompuAdd 286 clone and I am considering
purchasing a 386/25 motherboard. Current prices indicate I could
purchase a system board (and use my other systems components) with 4MB
of memory for well under $1K.

Can anyone with first hand experience comment on these products (or
others).  Information regarding vendor sources (some will not sell to
individuals) would also be appreciated.

Also, is there a list which might have more information?

Steve Morytko: UConn Computer Center, Storrs CT 06269-3138
Voice: 203-486-1405   Fax: 203-486-5744

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1991 19:54 CST
From: ST11A@jetson.uh.edu
Subject: Adding memory to a 286.

  You can find the information you need on the motherboard itself.  My
286 is clearly marked with the type of simms and dips to use when you
want to upgrade your memory.  There are also dip switches that you must
reset when you change the amount of memory.  Check the manual that came
with your motherboard for more specific information.

Joseph Beasley   ST11A@JETSON.UH.EDU
                 ST11A@JETSON.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 91  11:57 PST
From: SPGJAF@cmsa.Berkeley.EDU (Joseph A. Faracchio)
Subject: cheap bar code reader for home use ...

The cheapest I've found is to get a used Tandy 100/102 or equivalent
and the bar code reading wand for it.   Then you can collect it on the
100 and transfer it to the PC via serial ports.   Added feature is that
the bar code 'reader' is portable.  The down side is programming the
100 and getting it all to work together.  ... cheers .. joe.f.

------------------------------

Date: Mon Mar 11 11:05:37 GMT 1991
From: Mike O'Carroll <mike@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Switching Off Numlock on Bootup

> Could anyone tell me how to get rid of the feature where the NumLock
> key automatically switches itself on when the computer is switched on
> or booted up.

I have a little utility that does it.  Will check the ownership and
send if possible (do you have xxdecode?)

Mike

Mike O'Carroll, Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
    The University, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds[.ac.uk]
uucp:  ...!mcsun!ukc!lena!mike OR mike@lena.uucp
earn:   mike%ee.leeds@earn-relay.ac.uk

[Take a look at one of these files:

PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>
KBRESET.ARC         Reset keyboard capslock & numlock to off"
LOCK-OFF.ARC        Turn off keyboard NumLock/ScrollLock/CapsLock"
NUM-OFF.ASM         Turn numlock off"
TOGGLE.ARC          Turns on/off Caps, Num & Scroll Lock"

One of these SHOULD do the trick.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 13:45:34 MET
From: "Jos van der Woude" <JVDWOUDE%HUT.NL@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: My *.tar.Z experiences

Hello,

Thought I'd let you know.

I used u16-v12.arc from <msdos.sq-usq> to decompress the gnuplot
sources.  No problem, worked fine.  Then I tried detar11.arc. No go,
this program does not work with collapsed directory structures.  Then I
tried tar.zip from <msdos.filutl>. This went ok. Very professional
looking program.

Then I took an hour to discover that unix files use ^J as an line
separator, while ms-dos insists on a ^M.  The thing is, I knew this,
but didn't realize the very misterious compiler errors were due to this
effect.

So, beware of the ^J when copying files from an unix system folks!

happy computing,
and thanks for the help

Jos van der Woude
jvdwoude@hut.nl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 91 17:19:06 EST
From: snoopy@charlot.pg.bull.fr (Francesco Iarlori)
Subject: Reply the SoundBlaster Question (V91 #48)

  The two chips that you have to put into the two free sockets in
SoundBlaster card are Philips SAA1099. Their cost is less than 10$.

  It's very difficult found them, but I think that you can purchase
them in a Philips resalers.

        Francesco

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 06:06 EST
From: "Henry Jonker" <JONKERH%ENSFLM%sdi.polaroid.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: UUENCODER/UUDECODER in MACRO

A couple of weeks ago I asked for a VMS UUENCODER/UUDECODER. I received
a lot of replies, also one from Bob Eager (RDE@UKC.AC.UK) who wrote me
that he has written a version in MACRO. For one reason or another the
gateway software on my side has a problem with his address, so I can't
send him a mail. However, I'm very much interested in the MACRO version
of UUENCODE/UUDECODE.  So, Bob, if you read this, can you please send
me the MACRO version?  Thanks on advance,

JONKERH@MR.POLAROID.COM
Henry Jonker
Polaroid (Europa) BV, Enschede, The Netherlands
Phone: ++31-53-821541

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 91 00:39 CST
From: "Ronald Hahm" <HAHM5247@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: DSS Info

Hi Netters:

Does anyone know of any software companies that specialize in the
development of Decision Support Software?  Or any software houses that
have an extensive list of software in this area?

Thanks in Advance,

Ronald Hahm                            Internet: HAHM5247@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU |
Graduate Assistant                                                        |
College of Business Administration                                        |
University of Northern Iowa            BBS InterLink: RONALD HAHM         |
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613                USWest: 319-273-3822               |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 01:14:09 +0100
From: P7MAI016@frcirp81.bitnet
Subject: Bug in cleanp v75 ?

Hello everyone,

Today I ran into a problem that can be serious, and if somebody can
forward this message to Mac Afee & Associate, thanks.

Here it is: a friend of mine show me a file that was infected by the
"Whale" virus. Scann v75 reports it, good. BUT when I run clean v75 on
that file, NOTHING ! Clean didn't report any virus at all. I was happy
to have clean v74b at hand and it identify and kill that damned virus.

I think all of ours are interested...

Best regards and happy computing,
--Ollivier

| Ollivier ROBERT               | INTERNET: roberto@germinal.ibp.fr |
| Universite de Jussieu PARIS 7 | BITNET:  p7mai016@FRCIRP81.BITNET |
| PARIS, FRANCE                 |                                   |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 18:30:36 MEZ
From: Klaus Hahn <I3160901%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: hd support for OS/2

Ok, I had to learn that not many people are into OS/2 and even fewer
are interested in communicating about it... I have to try it all the
same: As I HAVE to install Microsoft's Lan Manager onto one of our
bigger 80386s, I will have to install OS/2 first.  The machine has a
320 SCSI drive, Adaptec 1542B, but OS/2 refuses to know these. So I
looked for a SCSI driver under OS/2, but this seems to be a no-go. Next
question then: WHICH kind of drive will OS/2 recognize at all: ESDI,
ST-506, IDE, or what?  Any help deeply appreciated.  Klaus.

Klaus Hahn

Dept. of Psychology
Spielmannstr. 19
33 Braunschweig, Germany

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 91 09:06:04 CST
From: Geoff Husic <GHUSIC%UKANVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Software to Print Cyrillic Characters wanted

I have been trying for several years to find some software to print
Cyrillic characters. I used to use Lettrix, which worked OK, but I
could only assign letters to the basic ascii characcter set. No that
Word Perfect has the Cyrllic character set, I'd like to be able to
print these out. They will print out as bit-mapped graphic without
special fonts, but it takes about an hour to do one page.

 I have tried two font packages that were supposed to work with
dot-matricx printers that emulate IBM proprinter, but neither worked as
advertised. All my Russian text is being held hostage on disk until I
can solve this problem. Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 21:25:49 EST
From: Mike.Gardiner@p42.f116.n120.z1.fidonet.org (Mike Gardiner)
Subject: Problems with an AT disk controller

A co-worker of mine has a problem with his home AT, (genuine IBM).

He has installed an intelligent floppy controller to use 3.5" drives on
his system, but despite programming the setup info for NO drives, there
is some sort of conflict with the AT controller.

Is there a way to completely disable the floppy functions of an AT
controller other than replacing it (with the attendant need to re-build
the drive data for the hard disk)?

I asked an IBM rep, and was told that information on such systems was
not readily available.  Not surprising, since they don't make them
anymore.

Can anyone locate this sort of trivia?  Thanks.

Reply to:  (Recommended order)
mwg@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us
0001919103@mcimail.com
76276.133@compuserve.com
76276,133 on CompuServe

And if all else fails, reply to the address(es) below.
--
Mike Gardiner, via 1:120/183@fidonet (Detroit Usenet Gateway)
Internet: Mike.Gardiner@p42.f116.n120.z1.fidonet.org

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 91 17:18:48 -0500
From: (Marshall D. Abrams) <abrams@smiley.mitre.org>
Subject: Send-FAX software

A fried has purchased a Incomm 24FXE modem that can send (but not
receive FAXes.  That is, the modem is CCITT T.30/T.40 compatible.  It
came with software for the PC known as BIT-CHAT, version 2.0

BIT-CHAT appears minimally functional.  It doesn't display the
acknowledgement information from the remote FAX.  It appears to have a
problem with dashes (hyphen, minus-sign) in the phone number following
the area code.

Can anyone recommend other software, preferably on Simtel, that would
work with the modem but would provide more functionality?

Sincerely,

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z269, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   alternate e-mail address: abrams@mitre.org
   FAX: (703) 883-1397

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 12:55:30 mst
From: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org (David Dodell)
Subject: TecMar JrCaptain - software needed

I have an old IBMPCjr that is expanded out to 640K with a Tecmar
jrCaptain and jrCadet.  I can not find a copy of my old software
package that allows the PCjr to use the additional memory, something I
think was called "conpcjr.exe" ... Does anyone know of a shareware
equivalent that I could obtain from someplace?

David
          St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona
        uucp: {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
    Bitnet: ATW1H @ ASUACAD                    FidoNet=> 1:114/15
    Internet: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org       FAX: +1 (602) 451-1165

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 12:39:58 GMT
From: <E07J%DHBRRZ41.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Missing kB on XT

Help!  My XT ist acting extremely strangely. The symptoms: It has 640kB
memory (I should know, I installed it myself).  When booting, the 640kB
memory are checked perfectly, no complaints, nothing. Yet DOS only
reports 639kB memory. Diagnostic tools, such as PC-TOOLS report "Memory
reported by DOS:639k, Total memory found to be: 640k".

Where has that 1k got to? Any hints leading to recovery of this missing
kByte would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, I need this 1K, as programs
which expand memory (e.g. VGARAM, which makes VGA memory available to
DOS) only find 639k and don't work, as all RAM extensions need the
computer to be equipped with 640k. :-(

   Daniel Tietze

P.S. I already tried cheating the program by adjusting the BIOS
variable at $40:$3C (or somewhere thereabouts) "manually". This didn't
solve the problem.

Dows anybody know how the Programs like PC-Tools check how much memory
DOS reports, so I can install my own routine to report 640k? It can't
be via Int $12, as my program cheats that, and INT$12 subsequently
reports 640k.

Daniel Tietze ,Bremen University - CS Branch | |
Net Addr: E07J@DHBRRZ41.BITNET    (Univ.)    |

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #59
-------