Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/21/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 18 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  61

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            Accesing simtel?
                  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives
               re: DD 3.5" disks formatted to HD (1.44M)
                           Disable Control-C
                      Disable Control-C (V91 #53)
                         DOS Utilities desired
        UUPC/extended 1.09d Download Information erata (V91 #51)
                     Memory Parity Error (V91 #52)
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #52
   Diablo 630 Printer Connector Information Wanted (V91 #52) (2 msgs)
        Determining Correct Amount of Installed Memory (V91 #53)
                        Memory Hype ? (V91 #48)
                        NumLock as a normal key
     program to find text strings in ZIP-archives needed (V91 #46)
                            Telix and Zmodem

Today's Queries:
                          Different keyboards.
                       Looking for Amiga emulator
                      Looking for Font Editor CHET
                          CMOS to floppy disk
                    Persyst Mono II display adapter

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1991 14:16 PST
From: koost34%imecom%imec.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
From: "QUAN BUI" <Q_BUI%MSVAX1%sc.intel.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Accesing simtel?

Hello,
  Could anyone here provides me with an instruction list of how to
logon to Simtel from Ultrix (FTP) and download some files. I have tried
to dial-in the Detroit Download Central and had very little success.
Since I don't know the settings (stop bits, duplex, etc...), I can't
get a clean connection to this system.

Any helps will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 00:14:20 GMT+1
From:  Gregory Hicks <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 and DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), FRMOP11 (France),
HEARN (Netherlands), IMIPOLI (Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN
(Turkey).

SIMTEL20 is not accessible on the first Wednesday of each month from
6-10pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

    <rjc@math.princeton.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files that answer quite a few of the most
frequently asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up
programs in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.
If you send email to <rjc@math.princeton.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    A set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are faq.csip
old.questions and faq.more.  These files contain answers to more
frequently asked questions.  To obtain these files, just send the
two-line message:

        path your-return-path-goes-here
        send desired-file

(ie: "send faq.csip", "send old.questions", or "send faq.more")
to rjc@math.princeton.edu.  Of course, replace "your-return-address"
with your actual return address.  UK users please remember to reverse
the JANET path.  DO NOT INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE FOR THESE MESSAGES.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 10:30:08 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: re: DD 3.5" disks formatted to HD (1.44M)

True, it is dangerous to keep data on a DD disk formatted to 1.44M. I
believe they have, physically, a different number of tracks. But, get
this: I worked on an IBM ps2 50Z and did that all the time and never
had any trouble. I didn't even have to punch a hole in the other side
of the disk to get it to work.

But when I get my 1.44M drive for my AT, I have to punch a hole in the
side to make it work. Weird, huh? As a rule, I try not to format 720K
disks to 1.44M anymore.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 13:25 EDT
From: <HEINRICH%CTSTATEU.BITNET@YALEVM.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: Disable Control-C

Disabling Control - C: Some possible solutions

To restate your problem, users are HOLDING DOWN CTRL-C upon bootup,
thus bypassing all statements in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to avoid the
menu security system on the PC. You would like to know how to disable
the CTRL-C function in order to outslick the culprits. A power-user out
there may know how to do this, but I do not.  Nor is it necessarily
desirable to disable CTRL-C, especially if some programs on the system
make use of it as an interrupt.  I can, however, recommend some other
solutions that are less drastic than disabling CTRL-C.

You could redefine a couple of keys after setting device to ANSI.SYS in
your Config.sys file, using a batch file to send the definitions to the
ANSI.SYS driver, and calling that batch file from Autoexec.bat.  Thus,
CTRL-C could be redefined to be CTRL-Y, and vice versa.  As with all of
my suggestions here, experiment with this using a batch file other than
autoexec.bat so that you can recover your normal keyboard settings
easily in case you make an error.  But this method will not guard
against the user who holds down CTRL-C as soon as the power is on since
he or she bypasses the autoexec.bat file completely. Still, if this
method interests you, read about ANSI.SYS in PC Magazines book entitled
DOS POWER TOOLS edited by Paul Somerson, or get a DOS TECHNICAL
REFERENCE MANUAL for further information.

With respect to solving the user - misuse - of - system - problem, I
would first address the supervisory issue, instructing users not to
abort the menu program. Following is a rather involved set of steps you
can take to make it difficult if not impossible for users to bypass the
menu system and access their programs:

1. Put nothing in the root directory except the menu program, the
system files, Command.com, Autoexec.bat., and possibly FILEFAC.COM
(also known as DPATH.COM). LATER, YOU WILL RENAME AUTOEXEC.BAT to some
obscure name such as DTA00032.DRV, and then go in to COMMAND.COM using
DEBUG.COM to make COMMAND.COM recognize the renamed autoexec.bat file.
Full documentation for this procedure and how to use DEBUG is found in
the PC Magazine DOS POWERTOOLS book.  this is major surgery, so be
careful, and be well backed up before you do this!

2. Reset the attributes of thr renamed Autoexec.bat to HIDDEN, using a
utility such as ATTR.COM or HIDE.COM. Note that it is possible to
explore the contents of a hidden file using the DOS TYPE command, but
if AUTOPEXEC has been renamed on disk and hidden, the user will not
know what file to tell the PC to type! This works only if you have
debugged Command.com to accept the new name for the autoexec file.

3. Hide all the directories on the machine which you do not want users
to access except via their application programs - again using an
attribute setting utility program. My favorite program to do this with
is Quick Dos, which allows you to reset attributes for files and
directories from a menu system.

4. Rewrite the Autoexec.bat file in such a way that no PATH is set
until near its last statement; it is then necessary to do a change
directory command in the autoexec.bat file for each program which is to
be loaded resident in ram. For example, following is a simple
autoexec.bat file modified to load programs without a full path
statement:

BEFORE MODIFICATION:

@ECHO OFF
CLS
PATH C:\;C:\DOS;C:\123;C:\UTILS;C:\WP
FILEFAC/I
SK
PKLOAD
COLORSET 31
CURSOR/AH
MENU

(in this example MENU stands for the command or batch file which loads
the menu security program; FILEFAC, SK, PKLOAD, COLORSET, and CURSOR
are all programs in the UTILS directory).

AFTER MODIFICATION:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT PROGRAM ABORTED - ENTER C TO CONTINUE
CLS
CD\UTILS
SK
PROKEY
PKLOAD
COLORSET 31
CURSOR/AH
FILEFAC/I
PROMPT $P$G
PATH C:\;C:\DOS;C:\123;C:\UTILS;C:\WP
FILEFAC/P
PROMPT $P$G
MENU

this step - hiding directories and not setting the path until the end
of the autoexec file, will prevent users from aborting the autoexec and
then learning the names of the directories by issuing the PATH command
with no other parameters.

5. Copy a disk head parking program such as PARK.COM or a screen
blanking program such as BLANKINS.COM to the root directory and rename
it C.COM. Now look back at the message to which the prompt has been
reset on the second line of the modivied AUTOEXEC.BAT file: "PROMPT
PROGRAM ABORTED. ENTER C TO CONTINUE". If a user executes the CTRL-C
after the autoexec.bat file executes that line, he or shee will see
that message on screen, and will probably respond by pressing C
<ENTER>, which of course now will park the hard disk or blank out the
screen, leaving the user no choice but to reboot, be patient, and work
through the menu system as was intended.  please note in the above
revised autoexec.bat file the prompt is - PROMPT $P$G and the full path
is given at the end of the file.

WARNING: BE CAREFUL EXPERIMENTING WITH HIDDEN DIRECTORIES AND A HIDDEN
AUTOEXEC.BAT FILE, AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO CHANGE ATTRIBUTES AND
RESET THEM BEFORE YOU TRY THESE TECHNIQUES! Test these methods on empty
directoriwes before you attempt them on the real directories, and make
sure you have a printout of Autoexec.bat, your paths, and directory
names before you run this. Also, make a backup copy of your old
autoexec.bat file under a name such as autoexec.old, and a non-hidden
copy of the revised autoexec.bat file.

Limitations to this as a solution:

1. If the users know the names of the directories, they can still
navigate around the disk after holding down CTRL-C , even if all of the
above measures have been taken. One solution here would be to rename
the directories on the hard disk and then using the new names in all
applicable programs including those requiring path settings in their
own install or setup routines and including in the Autoexec.bat file.

2. Hidden directories can be a nuisance to work with in a lot of ways,
especially when changing paths or configurations - it may be necessary
to reset all of the directories to NOT hidden when developing new batch
files so you can see what directories are available.

3. I am not sure how some install programs might be affected by hidden
directories - particularly if the progtram wants to use a default name
which is already taken by a hidden directory. Again, the best solution
would be to reset all directories to NOT hidden before installing new
software.

4. Do more research - in the DOS Power Tools Book - a great resource.

Disclaimer: I have tried these methods on my own systems where I am
concerned about protecting data in a workplace with many computer
users. I offer these methods which have worked for me, but I cannot
assure you that they will work for you, and I make no warranty or
representation that they will work. GOOD LUCK!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 20:35:34 SST
From: HC Eng <GBODSO1%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Disable Control-C (V91 #53)

>From: "VAXA::ANDY" <andy%vaxa.decnet@nusc-npt.navy.mil>

>I have a freind who is in charge of the PC where he works.  He has all
>the users run a security program that prompts for a name and password
>before acces is granted.  This is no special program, just some
>shareware thing he got off of a bbs.  Since the program is run through
>autoexec.bat, some users found that if they hold control-c down while
>the pc boots they stop the security program from running.  This
>wouldn't be a problem except that some of the users are clueless about
>how dos works and end up deleting files or formating the hard drive.  I
>know an easier solution would be to cut a finger off each person who
>does this, but it would be nicer to just disable control-c at boot.
>Preferably through config.sys.  Is this possible?

Yes, this is possible.  Make your last line of CONFIG.SYS:

   SHELL=COMMAND.COM /c MYPROG parms

where MYPROG is your password checking program.  Of course, that
program must be not "breakable".  Also note that anybody can boot from
floppy disk and by-pass this.

Check your DOS manual for the exact syntax of the SHELL.  I did this a
long time ago (the name may not even be called SHELL).  You must run
COMMAND.COM instead of your MYPROG directly as otherwise you would not
have access to DOS interrupts, like 24H etc.  Even if your program does
not exit and does not require the command line interpreter or the batch
file processor, you would require 24H which handles critical IO errors
(unless you replace it with your own handler in your programm).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 22:44:30 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: DOS Utilities desired

>I am looking for Public Domain Software (PDS) to perform the following
>utility tasks for a PC (286-386-486 class machines):

>1.  Performing a disk copy from a 1.2 MB 3-1/2" disk to a 360 KB 5-1/4"
>disk.  Problem is, for example, using XCOPY /s does indeed get the
>sub-directories but, you have to manually keep track of the files that
>have been copied and what hasen't.

Look at simtel20::PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>PCOPY*.ZIP for a great xcopy
replacement.  I have used it extensively, including as my primary hard
disk backup utility.  It saves the files in their native format, and
prompts for a disk when one is full.  It is loaded with options.  It
reasonably priced shareware.  I have no affiliation with the author
except as a satisfied customer.

>2.  A screen saver utility similar to the Mac Morier pattern.  I am in
>the process of making one with fractals but its getting too big.  Any
>alternatives would be appreciated. (I already have a screen blank
>program but I don't like it)

There are a couple of fireworks programs on simtel20 as follows:

<msdos.ega>egafire.arc
<msdos.screen>expls122.zip

I have seen one of them (I do not remember which), and it was nice.  I
have used neither regularly.

>3.  Is there an easy method to return to the "std console" once the
>"CTTY /COMX" has been issued (without rebooting)?  Also, is there a
>way, to use UNIX parlance, to tee the I/O to the stdio device, i.e. the
>console display before or after issusing the CTTY command?  It would
>sometimes be helpful to see what is going on in my machine when
>somebody has dialed in, among other things.

Yes!  To return to the console, just type 'ctty con'.  There are
various ctty replacements on simtel20.  At least one of them always
echoes the console activity on the video, but I do not remember how
various models operate.  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp            #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
# abs (investment#1 - investment#2) << abs (anyinvestment - anydebt)    #

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1991 16:21:54 EST
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@tamara.kew.com>
Subject: UUPC/extended 1.09d Download Information erata (V91 #51)

Snuffles blew the phone number for kendra in the message announcing
UUPC/extended 1.09d.  The number is really 1-617-641-4817 for kendra's
Kermit Server.  The login id is "anonymous", its password "ribbit".

Please direct all questions on UUPC/extended to help@kendra.kew.com.

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire

Internet: ahd@kendra.kew.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1991 12:45:34 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Memory Parity Error (V91 #52)

>Date: Sun, 3 Mar 91 19:10:59 EET
>From: spel@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dr. E.W. Lisse)

>is it possible to identify ...

As a first attempt,  lacking the diagnostic tools to isolate the
problem,  you might try reseating all of the memory chips ... remove
the cover, find the big bunch of identical IC's in rows and columns,
then press firmly with a thumb on each part, one at a time.   You can
expect to hear all sorts of creaking sounds as they move,  and if that
fixes your problem,  you may have restored your faith in your old
friend.

As a precaution,  keep the power cord plugged in,  the power switch
OFF,  and ground yourself to a bare metal part of the computer box
before touching anything else.   This is to discharge any static charge
you may have developed on your body.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 16:32:25 EST
From: labdg@unix.cc.emory.edu (Diego)
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #52

Leading Edge certainly DID make 286 and 386 versions of the model
'D'-they're known as the D2 and D3, respectively and they're STILL
made.

Differences ARE hard to tell just from the case design, since only the
newest versions of these are different looking.  Booting one up
provides an easy solution, however, as the machine identifies its
processor like every other.  Inside, one can tell the newer machines
from the vertical drive mounts to the right of the floppy slots.  They
come ine BOTH 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" however, so this is not determinant.

Finally, look for the expansion slot layout.  8088/6 are obviously
8-bit, whereas the 286/386's are 16 AND 8-bit.  I think the 386's
combination of 8/16 bit slots is different too, with only 2 8-bit in
the 2nd and 4th slots from the right.

-Diego Gallina,
-Emory University ITD
-Labdg@unix.cc.emory.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 15:54:27 EST
From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Diablo 630 Printer Connector Information Wanted (V91 #52)

The diablo 630 employed standard RS-232 interfacing.  The only problem
is handshaking.  The 630 used XON/XOFF protocol.  You can establish
this on a DOS machine with a serial port by assignig PRN to the serial
port, not using the mode command, but by using a TSR that you load in
your autoexec.  That will redirect your output to the serial port and
handle the ^Q and ^S handshaking.  The TSR is available on most
bulletin boards as LPTCOM.ZIP, it contains lptcom1.com and lptcom2.com
and use use whichever you want the com port to be 1 or 2.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1991 13:39:01 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com

>Date: 4 March 91, 11:10:42 SAT
>From: FACEFM72 at SAKFU00

>the standard used by this printer

Xerox uses a 50 pin connector on its back panel which supports several
diifferent interfaces and is called the All Purpose Interface (API).
The cable used determines which interface is used.   If a 25 pin
D-shell 25 pin connector is used at the other end,  it may be either a
standard Centronics parallel interface connector or  an RS-232-C serial
interface connector.   Other cables with other connector types are
available for IEEE-488 and TRS-80 Centronics applications.

          50 pin Connector  25 pin
Connector
    Function     to  Back Panel to Printer
Serial Cable: Chassis Gnd     22      1
    -Trans Data   24      2
    -Rec data   48      3
    +Req to Send    23      4
    +Data Set Ready 49      6
    Signal Gnd    47      7
    +Data Term Rdy  25      20

  Check that the cable is actually a serial cable ...  it uses only the
7 connections shown,  and all 7 of the connections in the 50 pin
connector are located at the same end of the connector ... the end away
from pin 1.    The IBM Centronics cable is also a 25 pin D-shell
connector and uses almost all of the 25  pins in the connector,  so it
is easy to distinguish between the serial and parallel cables.

  The RS-232-C parameter settings are made using the switch block on
the panel just above the control panel.   Of the two switch blocks,
use the one nearer the right side of the printer,  as you face the
front of the printer.  The switch functions are labled.

I have a manual for this printer / interface combination.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Mar 91 21:36:56 GMT
From: Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Determining Correct Amount of Installed Memory (V91 #53)

rkim@UCSD.EDU (KimBob) on Monday 4 March 91 asks about Norton
reporting 18,000K of extended memory in his Epson PC.  I had a
similar problem -- I just put together an AT from various spare parts.
It told me that I had 15 meg of Extended as well, and wouldn't let me
change it.

I had to run the setup program and change the values to 640K + 384
extended, and it worked fine.

Since you mentioned that punching in the new values didn't help, you
may want to try replacing your CMOS memory chip.  Before you do that,
try and find out of the programs running around that lets you peek into
and rewrite CMOS memory.

My .02.

Shaun Case:  shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com
          or atman%ecst.csuchico.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
          or Shaun Case of 1:119/666.0 (Fidonet)  or  1@9651 (WWIVnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 MAR 91 17:29:35 GMT
From: CHAA006@vax.rhbnc.ac.uk
Subject: Memory Hype ? (V91 #48)

>I am considering the purchase of a 386DX system.  The problem concerns
>*memory hype*.  Many mail order firms advertise >>4Mb<< of ram. Does
>this mean 4 MEG of 8 bit memory or 4 MEG of 32 bit memory? Some of the
>motherboards I have seen contain memory sockets for 8 SIMS.  Ads for
>SIMs are 1MEG of 8 bit memory. So how do I know if mail order computers
>are 4Mb or 4MEG of 32 bit memory?  Also, if these computers have only
>4Meg of 8 bit memory, aren't they misleading the public?  That is 4Mb
>is really only 1Meg of 32 bit memory. Or are these systems arranged as
>8 bit memory, requiring 4 memory fetchs to load a 32 bit instruction?

The answer lies in the little `b' of `Mb'; `b' => `bytes'.  Ergo, in
your terms, `4 MEG of 8 bit memory'; 1 byte = 8 bits.

        Philip Taylor
        Royal Holloway and Bedford New College,
        ``The University of London at Windsor''

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 09:27:41 EST
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: NumLock as a normal key

In INFO-IBMPC 91:54 Chengi Jimmy Kuo writes:

>wolfgang wuerz <wuerz-w%vax.hmi.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET> writes:

>>I want to use the upper row of keys on the numeric-pad; my problem is
>>the numlock-key. I want to disable the light, which is associated with
>>it and then use the key as any other one, but not to toggle between
>>numeric-pad ON/OFF. Any suggestion/pseudo-code/... appreciated.

>The numeric key is electrically different from the other keys.  For one
>thing, it has no typamatic.  So if you want to "use the key as any
>other one", it is an impossibility.

Nope, the NumLock key, like the other keys on the keyboard, will
cheerfully repeat itself as long as you hold it down, sending hex '45'
to the PC.  (I just checked that with both the AT and NEC PowerMate/386
on my desk.)

Some keyboard manufacturers *do* assign special characteristics to the
key, and may make it non-typamatic, but at least for IBM and NEC
keyboards this isn't true.  (Note that many aftermarket keyboards
include LED tally lights for NumLock, CapsLock, and ScrolLock but
toggle them from within the keyboard itself.  I think that the majority
of current-production systems of any quality drive the LEDs from BIOS
within the computer instead.)

If you want to use the NumLock key for some new function (not replacing
an existing keyboard key) you'll probably have to write a complete INT
9 handler.  A good example of how this can be done (and, in fact, one
which uses both NumLock and ScrolLock as active keys) is the original
release of YTERM from Yale.

One thing to remember - and the reason that YTERM now uses the normal
BIOS interface - is that when you start coding to the bare metal you
have to accept potentially severe exposure to problems should you try
to run the code in a new environment.

Joe Morris

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 0:14:48 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: program to find text strings in ZIP-archives needed (V91 #46)

>Does anybody know a program to find occurences of text strings in a
>ZIP-archive containing text files ?  I am looking for a utility which
>gives the whole line of text (the line containing the search string),
>and which scans through all text files contained in the archive.

I believe Norm Patriquin's PSEARCH does this, but I am not certain.
-David-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 02:28 EST
From: Kris Stark <STARK%ITHACA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Telix and Zmodem

Greg Spiegelberg asked about Telix and Zmodem wildcarding:

I use Telix v.3.12 here, and have never had any problems in using
wildcards with Telix Zmodem transfers.  I have done this in both
uploading and downloading, both with several BBS's, as well as with
mainframe systems running both VMS and Unix.  (The VMS version of sz
will not allow wildcards in the file spec for sending.)

If you have an older version of Telix, you could either ftp it from a
site somewhere (I believe Simtel has it, Keith?) or download it
directly from Exis at 1-416-439-9399.

I also have a copy for download at HST speeds on my BBS,
1-607-256-8935.

Kris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1991 20:07 ARG
From: "Hector A. Alonso"  <VMWORK4%CESPIVM2@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Different keyboards.

Hello World:
   Port 60h recives scan codes from the keyboard, but these codes are
different for the 83 keys XT kbd, than the 84 keys AT kbd, and than the
103 keys XT/AT- kdb. How differentiate these keyboards from a program ?

   Thanks in advance.
   Beto.-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 10:30:08 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Looking for Amiga emulator

I'm looking for a Commodore 64 or an Amiga emulator for an IBM AT.
Anybody have any leads on these?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 10:30:08 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Looking for Font Editor CHET

I'm looking for a downloadable font editor for Epson compatible
printers called CHET. Does anybody know where I can get this?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 10:30:08 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: CMOS to floppy disk

I would like to know if there is a way to copy a CMOS test program
to a floppy disk. I have a program in CMOS (or is it ROM?) which tests
all the components of your computer, monitor, keyboard, drive
controller, etc. Can I copy this program to a floppy disk?

Chuck R.      bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 02:30 EST
From: Kris Stark <STARK%ITHACA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Persyst Mono II display adapter

Help!

I managed to lay my hands on a Persyst Mono II display card, but alas,
got no documentation with it.  Could anyone tell me what the card is,
how it is configured, and what the *several* jumpers on the card do!

Thanks in advance...

Kris

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #61
-------