Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.mil ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/23/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon, 18 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  62

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
             Administrivia - Multiple Copies of the Digest
                     Big file text editor (2 msgs)
                         Changing Fonts on a XT
                     connecting two pc's (V91 #41)
                  Diablo 630 Printer answers (V91 #52)
                         DOS Utilities desired
                              NUMLOCK-key

Today's Queries:
                      Bernoulli Box under DOS 4.01
                         dBASE Discussion List
                   .PCX Graphic File Structure Wanted
                  Need Scan-tron software for scanner

New Uploads:
         KYSS! V3.7 high-performance menu system & file manager
      SNARK10.ZIP - The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll V1.0
      TOADUU20.ZIP - Unix-compat. fast uuencode/uudecode w/ASM src
       TS1ST19.ZIP - Statistics: Univariate statistical measures
      TSFAQ17D.ZIP - T.Salmi: Frequently asked questions & answers

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 14:07
From: "Christian Czech" <UK8S%DKAUNI2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Administrivia - Multiple Copies of the Digest

I got all Digests twice. One is adressed exactly. The other is adressed
to Multiple recipients of <IBMPC-L@DEARN.BITNET>.

I don't know why this occurs so I simply reply.

In general the Digest is really useful for me.  So I want to thank you
for your  good work.

  Bye
       CC

[As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not a BITNET guru.  In order to
trace down distribution problems, I'll need to see the headers on the
messages your receive.  These usually start with a 'Return-Path:' line
and end with the line that starts 'Today's Editor:'...  (Actually, the
headers end earlier, but I really need to see everything from the very
start of the message down to these lines...)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 22:32:26 GMT
From: Bob Eager <rde@ukc.ac.uk>
Subject: big file text editor

gary@ctc.contel.com asked about editors for big files. The one I use is
in the SIMTEL20 library as PD1:<MSDOS.EDITOR>TE25.ZIP. It can handle
files as large as 32MB if you have enough disk space to spill to. It
includes DOS and OS/2 versions. Source is available if you register. It
is not crippleware.

Incintally, EDLIN *will* do the job (but painfully). If you read the
manual, Gary (please don't be offended) you will see that EDLIN reads
the file in chunks. You get the first 1000 lines or so, edit those,
empty part or all of the buffer to the output file, and then top it up
from an input file.  So, it will truly handle files of any length. It
got me out of trouble a few times.

Bob

------------------------------

Date: Wed Mar 13 13:06:33 GMT 1991
From: Mike O'Carroll <mike@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>

> Does anybody know of an editor that will handle big files?  I have
> several half-meg files that I need to edit but the two which I have,

I tried a simultaneous edit on two 800K files using my port of the Rand
editor, and it seemed OK (it was a very brief edit session).

It might be worth a try - it's on Simtel-20 as <something>e2.zip I
think.

Mike

Mike O'Carroll, Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
    The University, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds[.ac.uk]
uucp:  ...!mcsun!ukc!lena!mike OR mike@lena.uucp
earn:   mike%ee.leeds@earn-relay.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Wed Mar 13 13:27:07 GMT 1991
From: Mike O'Carroll <mike@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Changing Fonts on a XT

> I own a PC/XT compatable (an oldie but a goodie). I would like to know
> if there is anyway to change the types of characters displayed.  It

> [ ... You CAN modify the displayed font, within the limits of your video
> adapter, by changing what is stored in ROM.  How?  By making the BIOS
> point to RAM...  gph]

If you use bios interrupt 10, function 10 to write to the graphics
screen, you get the first 128 chars from ROM, and the second from user
defined RAM.  To set the pointer to your char set, you need to adjust
the vector at interrupt 1F (address 7C).  If you want to use the whole
character range, you have to write the registers yourself, since,
according to the BIOS listing for the XT, the vector for the low 128
chars is wired in.

I did this for an EGA some years back - painful, but possible.

Hope this helps

Date: 12 Mar 91 21:23:47 GMT
From: motcid!yeates@uunet.UU.NET  (Tony J Yeates)
Subject: connecting two pc's (V91 #41)

>I don't know what is in the public domain, however, LapLink provides a
>neat utility that will load a device driver on a host/slave machine
>combo that will make the drives on the slave appear as extra drives on
>the host--

A number of systems like this are available - primarily designed, I
would guess, for transfering files between a portable and desktop PC.
I liked lap link and also fastback (fast something anyway!) -

 this only need to be loaded onto one of the PCs).  I believe these are
for transferring files, rather than sharing files tho'.  A shareware
package that allowed two PCs to share their disk, like a mini network,
would be neat.  hey! what about VMiX 386: "...a UNIX-like shell that
works under dos.  can support up to 4 remote consoles connected by
the serial port.  Each of these may do multi tasking.  able to run
DOS commands...." - sounds like just the thing.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1991 18:06:50 PST
From: SNelson.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: Diablo 630 Printer answers (V91 #52)

The Diablo Customer Support number (Xerox ) is (214) 420-0057 Central
Time - normal business hours.  There apparently is an "old" version of
the 630.  Following information is from several nice Xerox people, who
keep older messages handy.

1) Old-style serial printer connected to serial port using standard 25
pin male-male cable,

2) API printer (50 pin Centronics-type connector) connected to serial
port using serial API cable,

3) API printer (50 pin Centronics-type connector) connected to parallel
port using parallel API cable.

In method 1) or 2) it is necessary to install a female-female modem
eliminator (some people call them null modems) between the PC and the
cable. I have found the following crossover to be effective in almost
every situation.   (You may also use a special null modem cable,
defined in the document "Original 630 with IBM PC")

         PC/PC XT/606X                           PC AT
 25 pin Female      25 pin Female    9 pin Female     25 pin Male
         PC - - - -  Printer             PC - - - -Printer
         1 - - - -  1                     1- - - -  4&5
         2 - - - -  3                     2- - - -  3
         3 - - - -  2                     3- - - -  2
        4&5 - - - - 8                     4 - - - - 6
         6 - - - -  20                    5 -- - -  7
         7 - - - -  7                     6- - - -  20
         8 - - - -  4&5                   7&8 - - --  8
         20 - - - -  6      * (AT diagram included though
                               some text in this memo not applicable)

Actually, it makes no difference which way you turn the XT version; it
is reversible.

If you have to use method 1) then it will also be necessary to open
your printer and put a jumper on the front circuit board (HPRO5) to
change the protocol to "Printer Ready" to have proper handshaking. This
will eliminate 'Overflow' problems.  (You may also use a special null
modem cable, defined in the document "Original 630 with IBM PC")

Using method 2) requires the same protocol but the switch panel under
the removable front cover on the printer has a switch to set the
printer to "Printer Ready".

The cables mentioned above are available most computer equipment
dealers or computer supply dealers very inexpensively.   You could also
try modifying a regular cable to match these pinouts.

"Original 630 with IBM PC"
 I've been using a Xerox 630 (early version) on Xerox 6065 (Olivetti
M24? ATT 6300) & IDS 386 for quite a while now. what you need to do is
run:

  MODE COM1:1200,E,7,1,P
  MODE LPT1:=COM1:

 THIS SETS THE COM1 PORT TO
  1200 BAUD
  EVEN PARITY
  7 DATA BITS
  1 STOP BIT
  P=PRINTER OUTPUT

 You need a special Null Modem cable to work correctly.  Note: Regular
null modem cables cause buffer overflow problems.  The cable that you
will need for the PC will have to be wired as follows:

  PC  630
  (25 Pin Female) (25 pin Male)

  1 1
  2 3
  3 2
  4 8

  5 11  PINS 5&6 AT THE PC ARE JUMPED
  [   TOGETHER
  6 11

  7 7

  8 4   PINS 4&5 AT THE 630 ARE JUMPED
  ] TOGETHER
  8 5

  20  6

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 13:52:18 EST
From: Joel Saunders <RJFS%SNYCENVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: DOS Utilities desired

On Fri, 1 Mar 91 09:49:42 -0500 (EST) John Hudak said:
>I am looking for Public Domain Software (PDS) to perform the following
>utility tasks for a PC (286-386-486 class machines):

>1.  Performing a disk copy from a 1.2 MB 3-1/2" disk to a 360 KB 5-1/4"
>disk.  Problem is, for example, using XCOPY /s does indeed get the
>sub-directories but, you have to manually keep track of the files that
>have been copied and what hasen't.

Someone showed me how to use XCOPY without having to keep track of the
filenames that had already been copied.

1) Using the DOS ATTRIB command set all files in all subdirectories
that you want to copy from to "Archive bit on" or in DOS lingo:

I'll assume that the 1.2 MB diskette is A: and the 360KB diskette is B:

   cd\directory
   attrib *.* +a      ... for each directory on A: to be copied

2) Insert your first 360KB disk
   type XCOPY a: B: /S/M     to copy files with the archive bit on

3) When you get an 'insufficient disk space' error:

   Insert the next 360KB diskette  and retype the XCOPY command (F3
key) and press ENTER.

The XCOPY will pick up where it left off because after it backs up a
file, the /M option TURNS the archive bit for that file off.

   Keep repeating step 3 until you don't get any "out of space" errors.

 I know that there are situations where this might not be acceptable,
but it's always worked for me.

 Hope this helps.....

 >>> Joel

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 22:24:20 GMT
From: Bob Eager <rde@ukc.ac.uk>
Subject: NUMLOCK-key

I sent a private reply to the person who asked about using the NUMLOCK
key to generate a scan code. However, since Wolfgang Wuerz said it
couldn't be done in a recent Digest, I thought I should put the record
straight.

The NUMLOCK key works like most other keys. It generates a code when
you press it and another when you release it. It also (I guess)
generates the 'make' code at regular intervals while it is pressed. The
difference with NUMLOCK is that the BIOS handles the NUMLOCK codes to
flip its internal shift status, and doesn't pass anything up to the
higher levels.

On pretty well any PC, you can write a program that intercepts the
keyboard interrupt and causes NUMLOCK to generate a different scan code
(commonly that for F1 so that it simulates the GOLD key in the Kermit
VTnnn emulation).  Such a program is in the SIMTEL20 library in
PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>NM100.ARC.  I found this program a little unreliable,
and no source was included.

So, I wrote my own. This uses a BIOS interrupt intercept feature not
present in early versions of the BIOS. Source is included, and details
of how to change the scan code generated. You can also turn the effect
on and off without rebooting. It is in the SIMTEL20 library as
PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>GOLD.ZIP.

Hope this helps a few others.
Bob

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 09:31 EST
From: cox@software.org (Guy Cox)
Subject: Bernoulli Box under DOS 4.01

I recently switched to a larger machine and thought I'd use 4.01
instead of DOS 3.2 ..

Now Bernoulii Box a (2x20) doesn't seem  to work. Has the rcd.sys been
updated since 3.47 ?

Guy O. Cox, Jr.
Software Productivity Consortium.
2214 RockHill Rd
Herndon, VA 22090
703-742-7219
cox@software.org

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 91  9:37 +0100
From: wolfgang wuerz <wuerz-w%vax.hmi.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: dBASE Discussion List

Are you aware of a dBASE discussion list (perhaps also covering
FoxBase, Clipper, RBase+)?

Wolfgang Wuerz <wuerz-w@vax.hmi.dbp.de>

------------------------------

Date:    13-MAR-1991 14:34:19.61
From:    "Ulf Griesmann, Bonn, FRG" <GRIESMAN@DBNPIB5.bitnet>
Subject:  .PCX Graphic File Structure Wanted

Hello,

   is there anyone who can tell me how PCX graphic files are structured
or does anyone know if there is information on them available from
SIMTEL ?

   Thanks for any help !

   Ulf Griesmann                   GRIESMAN @ DBNPIB5.BITNET
   Physikalisches Institut
   Nussallee 12
   D-5300 Bonn 1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 05:53:55 GMT
From: ffujita@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Frank Fujita)
Subject: Need Scan-tron software for scanner

Okay, I'm going to try to describe what I want.  Somebody please tell
me where to get it.

There are dedicated test sheet scanners, they are quick.

But, a flatbed scanner (like a scanjet) should have plenty of
resolution such that the scanned image could be converted into a
datafile.

So, I want to know if anybody would know where I could get such a
software product.  I'm willing to buy commercial, but don't have enough
money to hire a programmer.

Of course, it would be better if the program would create custom test
forms on a laser printer, that it would be then set-up to scan.

Any info appreciated

------------------------------

Subject: New Uploads:
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 91 8:57:18 EDT
From: gmcmanus@dsac.dla.mil (Gene McManus)
Subject: KYSS! V3.7 high-performance menu system & file manager

I have uploaded KYSS! V3.7 to SIMTEL20:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.MENU>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
KYSS37.DOC    A    2561  910226  Overview of KYSS37 menu system & file manager
KYSS37.ZIP    B  278654  910226  High-performance menu system & file manager

V3.7 includes a number of enhancements, including swapping the KYSS
program to XMS, EMS or disk (thanks to Ralf Brown @ Carnagie-Mellon!).

Gene

Gene McManus @ DLA Systems Automation Center, DSAC-X
               Columbus, OH 43215 (614) 238-9403,    Autovon 850-
Internet:      gmcmanus@dsac.dla.mil  (131.78.1.1)
UUCP:          {uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!gmcmanus
The views expressed are my own, not those of the Agency, or the DoD

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Mar 91 12:24:13 CST
From: "Mark S. Zinzow" <MARKZ@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: SNARK10.ZIP - The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll V1.0

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.books>
SNARK10.ZIP     The Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll V1.0

I zipped up the snark10.txt file that Michael Hart posted to mrcnext
for distribution via SIMTEL20 etc.  This is another of his shareware
books.  (Contributions go toward distributing more books!)

Mark Zinzow
MARKZ@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 01:44:18 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: TOADUU20.ZIP - Unix-compat. fast uuencode/uudecode w/ASM src

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
TOADUU20.ZIP    Unix-compat. fast uuencode/uudecode w/ASM src

Function: UUE.COM: Uuencode binary files to ASCII text files.
    UUD.COM: Uudecode uuencoded files to original binary form.
    Both are compatible with the Unix (and other) uuencode/ uudecode
utilities.

New changes for v2.0:

Added "No overwrite" feature like TOADXX.  Both programs will not
overwrite existing files unless you use the "/O" (or "/o") switch.

UUD had a bug:  if the "begin 644 filename.typ" line is something like
"begin 0600 filename.typ", UUD fails!  (Keith Petersen discovered the
bug and provided a patch!)

Errors in "no cmdline filename" condition, usage msgs, filename
prompting, etc.  Cleaned up.  Added "-?" or "/?" cmdline help switch.
(Thanks again to Keith.)

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 91 12:47:19 EET
From: Timo Salmi <ts@uwasa.fi>
Subject: TS1ST19.ZIP - Statistics: Univariate statistical measures

I have updated one of my five statistical packages and it is now
available from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.statistics>
TS1ST19.ZIP     Statistics: Univariate statistical measures

It now also calculates the coefficient of variation for the given
observations.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 16:22:26 EET
From: Timo Salmi <ts@uwasa.fi>
Subject: TSFAQ17D.ZIP - T.Salmi: Frequently asked questions & answers

The latest version of my frequently asked questions & answers file is
now available from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.info>
TSFAQ17D.ZIP    T.Salmi: Frequently asked questions & answers

Here is a listing of the files in this ZIP.

Filename        Comment                             Date      Time    CRC
--------        --------------------------------    ----      ----    ---
FAQ.INF         Document (a readme)               03-10-91  15:41:28  6EA0
FAQ.NWS         News announcement about tsfaq     03-10-91  15:40:38  B921
FAQNEWS.TXT     Q&As relating to UseNet news      03-03-91  19:13:10  234D
FAQPAS.TXT      Turbo Pascal questions & answers  03-02-91  19:05:16  D5F9
FAQPROGS.TXT    Questions answers about programs  03-03-91  19:15:56  ED61
FAQUOTE.TXT     Postings and email of interest    01-25-91  16:08:18  0A00
PD2ANS.TXT      Q&As on uwasa.fi archives & more  03-10-91  08:07:38  BA9C
TSPROG.INF      List of PD programs from T.Salmi  01-25-91  16:05:54  EE8A
VAASA.INF       Info: Finland, Vaasa, U of Vaasa  02-02-90  11:52:54  F6C0

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #62
-------