Info-IBMPC@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.mil ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/25/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 23 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  65

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
               MAIL in VM/CMS using PC terminals (2 msgs)
                             VGA addressing
                           ZModem with Telix

Today's Queries:
            Getting text screen captures into paint programs
                     help with graphics printscreen
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #52
            windows 3.0 on 286/CGA gives memory parity error
                        ZIP archives search pgm

New Uploads:
          ARR-V110.ZIP - Large, Many, XMS and Huge Arrays in C
      HCAP1290.ZIP: Handicap-related BBS list uploaded to SIMTEL20
            Hearing impaired utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20
       LHA211.EXE - LHA archiver v2.11 has better comp. than ZIP
             Sign Friends Version 4.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20
     SNIPPR24.ZIP - TSR to save part of screen to disk/print/keybd
            Visually impaired utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 09:05:00 EDT
From: Karel Smuk <SMUK%CSPGAS11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: MAIL in VM/CMS using PC terminals

Hi networkers, we are rather new in using Bitnet, so we try to find
some support in the following: We use Columbia MAILER at IBM VM/CMS
system and the procedures MAIL, MAILBOOK etc. for doing the post. For
users with fullscreen terminals this is OK.

Some of the users, however, have only PC's with terminal emulation,
connected by telephone lines.  Becasuse of poor telephone lines it
would be reasonable to limit the time of connection (transfer) to a
minimum. What we are looking for is: Some software (eg. EXECs) at
VM/CMS, allowing to collect and combine incomming post to one (or more)
files, which would be transferred to PC using Kermit (?).

Another piece of SW at the PC side should be able to provide all
services (reading post, preparing replies, preparing post etc.) in PC
environment without connection to CMS. And as a last step - the result
of this would be sent to CMS (again using KERMIT) as one or more files.
The CMS environment then should take care about the distribution of the
post.

I suppose we are not the first ones with such a need.  Any advice or
hint would be appreciated

Karel Smuk

Karel Smuk                                 smuk@cspgas11.bitnet
Institute of Information Theory            Phone: +42 2 815 2256
and Automation
Czech Academy of Sciences
Pod vodarenskou vezi 4, 182 08 Prague      Fax:   +42 2 858 4569
Czechoslovakia                             Tlx:   122018 ATOM C

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 13:27:25 EDT
From: Jiri Peterka <UMKJP%CSEARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

Dear colleague,

what  you  are looking for is a PC mailing utility  for  the VM/CMS
environment, similar to those available for the  FIDO network  (for
example). Right now I do not know if there  is any available, but I can
suggest you a very simple  solution you can use in the meantime:

     As  you  might know, in the VM/CMS environment  all  of your
incoming mail is stored at first in the virtual  reader (e.g.  that
part of the spooling area, that is  visible  to you).  When you call
the MAIL utility and issue  the  UPDATE command,  all your new mail is
tranferred from your  virtual reader  to  your  private disc and
appended  to  the  UNREAD NOTEBOOK  file.  So  all you need to do  is
exit  MAIL  and download your UNREAD NOTEBOOK file through Kermit (as a
text file, because it indeed is a simple text file). A good  idea is
also  to  discard  the UNREAD  NOTEBOOK  file  once  you download  it
successfully, as not to overflow  your  limited disc  space.  Of course
the same procedure  applies  to  all other  notebooks  you might have,
with mail  you  eventually logged earlier.

    To download your mail in an automated fashion, you  must have a
communication program running on your PC, that has  a suitable  command
language  (a script facility,  as  it  is usually  called). I am using
the Softclone's Mirror  package myself, but there are many others.

     Once you have your mail in a text file on your PC,  you can
disconnect and process your mail off-line. The  internal structure  of
the notebook files is  very simple - they  are unformatted  ASCII  text
files (converted to  ASCII  by  the VM/CMS Kermit - by default), and
they contain the individual messages  separated by lines of the =
character.  You  can read these files with any text editor you like.
Writing a PC application  to  read your mail in  a  more
point-and-shoot fashion is nothing more than a routine job.

     When  it  comes to replying and sending new  mail,  its only  a
bit more complicated. You can prepare all  of  your outgoing  mail  as
individual text files while  being  still off-line.  Later,  when  you
go  on-line  and  log  on  the mainframe,  you can upload all the files
with your  outgoing mail again through Kermit. Then you can send your
individual messages and use the contents of the uploaded files as their
bodies.  Again you can write a command file (a script  file) for  your
PC communication package to do so in an  automated fashion. This might
require that you also prepare some  sort of  a  mailing  list  for the
script  file  to  act  upon, containing   the  necessary  information
about   addresses, subjects etc., but this is also mere routine.

Jiri Peterka
Dept. of Computer Science
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
Charles University
Prague, Czechoslovakia

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 19:29:54 MEZ
From: Thomas <UNP072%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: VGA addressing

On Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:45:25 EDT Stanislav Saic said:
>Hi,
>is there anybody out there who knows, how to directly address VGA memory
>banks in extended modes 640x400 and 800x600 with 256 colors. Any advice
>or a tip for literature are greatly appreciated.
>Stanislav Saic (TI83@CSPGAS11.BITNET)
>CSAV-UTIA, Praha 8, Pod vodarenskou vezi 4, Czechoslovakia

Oh. It depends... on the manufacturer of your VGA. Look into
VGAKIT34.ZIP in <msdos.vga>. You will find an answer for most VGAs in
there.

- Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 19:36:58 PST
From: 6600arac%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Wolf)
Subject: ZModem with Telix

I've got version 3.12 of Telix for the IBM PC, and I'm allowed to use
wildcards in filenames.  Try a newer version.   And, yes it works
w/zmodem

Wolf
6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Internet)
6600arac@ucsbuxa.bitnet   (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 1991 14:38:17 EST
From: DEVRIES@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU
Subject: Getting text screen captures into paint programs

I have a need to capture screens from character based DOS applications
(like Paradox) in such a way that I can bring them into a paint
program.  My goal is to treat the image as a picture and to add
elements like arrows and text to highlight features on the captured
screen.  There are plenty of utilities to capture graphics screens or
text screens, but I haven't seen one yet for capturing a text screen
and saving it in a graphics format like .TIF or .PCX.

Does such a product exist, or is a there a conversion product that will
convert a text file into a graphic image?  Of course shareware/public
domain is preferred, but I'll take anything.

Thanks in advance.

Ernie DeVries
Academic/Personal Computer Services
Northern Arizona University
bitnet%"devries@nauvax"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1991 16:59:31 EST
From: poulin@polar.bowdoin.edu (Jeff Poulin)
Subject: help with graphics printscreen

I would like to do a high resolution graphics printscreen to my
Panasonic KX-P1124 from a (genuine) Hercules card.  I tried loading
graphics.com first then doing a print-screen but all I get is foreign
characters in the ASCII 130 to 140 range (My printer is emulating an
Epson 2500 in graphics mode).  Perhaps the problem is the very strange
bitmapping order the Hercules card uses (line 1 is B0000, line 2 is
B2000, etc...)

I also tried pizazz, but the version I have is circa 1986 and It won't
print more than 180dpi (I would like 360dpi).

Finally, I also tried hprtsc.com in Simtel <msdos.screen> but it only
prints sideways and the resolution is way too low (it was made for an
epson FX80/90).

Can anyone help me with this?  I would rather see if the program I want
exists than try to build one.  My assembly is a little rusty :-(

jeff
Jeff Poulin         poulin@polar.bowdoin.edu      jpoulin@bowdoin.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 19:36 GMT
From: SCCS6075%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: X-Windows List?

I'll make this short and snappy...

Does anyone out there know of the existence of a Xwindows list.

thanks David

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 01:33:50 GMT
From: cadence!cadence.ashwini@uunet.UU.NET (Ashwini Shandilya)
Subject: windows 3.0 on 286/CGA gives memory parity error

I have a Zenith Data Systems Z-248 (AT compatible) a 286 based machine.
It has a CGA card/monitor. Memory is 640k base and 1536K extended.  I
was testing to see if Windows3.0 runs on my machine after installing
the extended memory.

ON using windows I get Unrecovarble application error, and the systems
error is MEMORY PARITY ERROR.

Is there some one who knows why such an error is issued. And secondly
is Windows 3.0 having problems running on CGA machines. I ran memory
diagnostics to check extended memory map there seems to be no prolem.

Also is a UTILITY to check the system thoroughly for memory faults.
Other than the diagnostics that is run from MFM.

-thanks
-ashwini

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 22:51:50 IST
From: Itamar Even-Zohar <B10@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: ZIP archives search pgm

Does anybody know if there is some pgm that can search strings INSIDE
ZIP archive files, that is, WITHOUT OPENING the files, like Buerg's
ARCF for ARC files?

(ZV, ZGREP, ..., and more, all look for fileNAMES in a ZIP archive.
This is NOT what I am looking for. ARCF allows keeping material in ARC
files in a compressed form, and yet it is readily accessible. Search
strings can even be piped to a file without extracting the relevant
files, nor searching by temporary viewing them one by one, as LIST
would require.)

Thanks,
Itamar Even-Zohar
Porter Institute, Tel Aviv University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 13:11 GMT
From: G.Robertson <gnev83@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk>
Subject: ARR-V110.ZIP - Large, Many, XMS and Huge Arrays in C

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.c>
ARR-V110.ZIP    Large, Many, XMS and Huge Arrays in C

Large Arrays, Many Arrays (cached to disk or extended memory) and Hugh
Array (any size) in C, Version 1.1

This package include code for use with C which

1.  Allows the use of many large arrays 65530 bytes long as memory
permits.

2.  Allows the use of many large arrays using disk caching, virtual
disk caching or extended memory caching.

3.  Allows the use of a hugh array (bigger than memory allows).

These routines are very fast and the main part is written in machine
code.  The source code is available

Graham Robertson <gnev83@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk>
British Software Licensing

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 11:48:31 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: HCAP1290.ZIP: Handicap-related BBS list uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbslists>
HCAP1290.ZIP    Handicap/disability related BBS list (12/90)

This is the December, 1990 version of the Handicap BBS list with over
700 BBS's throughout the world that carry disability-related
conferences (such as ABLED, BlinkTalk, SilentTalk, etc) and/or have
files/programs for the handicapped.

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, isc-br, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 8:58:44 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Hearing impaired utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
ASL-TRAN.ZIP    Translates words into ASL finger spelling
FUTUR110.ZIP    Communications program for use with a TDD
LSIGN20.ZIP     Teaches ASL finger spelling
SIGNFONT.ZIP    Printer font for finger spelling

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 01:16:30 EST
From: kaplan@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Subject: LHA211.EXE - LHA archiver v2.11 has better comp. than ZIP

I have uploaded the latest version of the LHARC program to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
LHA211.EXE      LHA archiver v2.11 has better comp. than ZIP

Preston
kaplan@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 11:57:11 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Sign Friends Version 4.0 uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
SIGN40-1.ZIP    Sign Friends: Learn sign language. Part 1 of 2
SIGN40-2.ZIP    Sign Friends: Learn sign language. Part 2 of 2

Sign Friends is an interactive program designed to teach sign language
utilizing the graphic and animation capabilities of the computer.  The
program requires GWBasic or BASICA to run.  CGA video is needed
(although the program SIMCGA may be able to be used with
Hercules-compatible display adapters).

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 14:39:39 -0500
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: SNIPPR24.ZIP - TSR to save part of screen to disk/print/keybd

I have uploaded my update of Snipper to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.screen>
SNIPPR24.ZIP    TSR to save part of screen to disk/print/keybd

This is an updated version of the PC Magazine utility "Snipper",
incorporating the additional functionality from Snipper v2.3, but
keeping the fixes in v2.2 that v2.3 didn't know about.  It also has
trailing space trimming.

Some users have requested "no direct screen writes" (problems with
speech synthesizers, DeskView, etc.).  However, snipper does not DO
direct screen writes!  BIOS calls only!  Maybe something else is
causing the problems.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 9:09:30 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Visually impaired utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
ACCENT.ZIP      DEMO of ACCENT speech synthesizer
ACCSET.ZIP      Changes ACCENT speech synthesizer's settings
BEDIT20.ZIP     Large character editor for sight impared users
BIGECHO.ZIP     Print large letters in batch files
DZ101.ZIP       Speech or Braille DOS shell program. DEMO
VE1-1.ZIP       Screen/kbd access for voice synth., DEMO, 1of2
VE-DOCS.ZIP     Screen/kbd access for voice synth., DEMO, 2of2

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #65
-------