Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/25/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 22 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  64

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      Download Files from SIMTEL20
                   Check existing directory - summary
                    Finite Element Analysis Software
                       Big Text Editor (V91 #52)
                         Neat Software Reviews
                          Windows 3.0 Screens
                         NUMLOCK - Turning Off

Today's Queries:
                        Looking for Common LISP
                      Program input/output capture
                             VGA addressing

New Uploads:
     ALICE13A.ZIP - Lewis Carroll-ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND
               Borland patches for TC++ 1.01 and BC++ 2.0
       DLS200.ZIP - Disk labeling system, interfaces w/catalogers
         DS410A.ZIP - Directory Scanner 4.10A - Disk/File Mngr
              Epsilon v5.0 extensions uploaded to SIMTEL20
      LCD_21A.ZIP - Change dir faster & /w more features than NCD
      TSBAT24.ZIP - Collection of useful batch files by Timo Salmi
      WAF164.ZIP - Waffle BBS v1.64, with UUCP mail & Usenet news

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 12:40:29 EST
From: nguyen%master.dnet@dxi.nih.gov
Subject: Downloadinf Files from SIMTEL20

   Sometimes ago someone has post a question of how to download files
from simtel.  I had printed out a copy of how to do it, but I was sort
of busy lately that I could not try to exercise it.  Some of my
co-workers here at the office asked me the same question, and I went
back to my "FILE OF PAPPER" to look for it; IT WAS GONE (I just moved
into a new office).

  I would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me where I can
request this file again, or it would be even better if you can show me
how to do it?.

  Thank you all

  Khoi Nguyen
  BITNET ADDRESS: NGUYEN%MASTER.DNET@DXI.NIH.GOV

[Since the reader is on BITNET and apparently in the US, I have
forwarded the file PS:<GHICKS>SIM-BIT.FTP (or SIMel-BITnet.FTP).  If
other readers want a help file, there is also a file for users in
Europe (PS:<GHICKS>TRICKLE.DOC) as well as the one for US readers.
gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 16:56:56 TUR
From: Andreas Tranquillini <C102TA%AINUNI01.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Check existing directory - summary

Hello,

some time ago I had a problem checking the existence of a directory. I
received several answers (thanks to all who responded) - here is the
summary.

Solution                            comments

IF EXIST directory\NUL goto ... works fine with floppies and hard disks;
                                does not work with Novell netware drives

IF EXIST directory\. goto ...   does not work

IF EXIST directory\*.* goto ... does not check the existence of empty
                                directories

<MSDOS.BATUTL>DPV12.ZIP         These two programs work fine with floppies
<MSDOS.BATUTL>IFEXIST.ARC       and hard disks together with DOS 3.3 but
                                they ignore hard disks together with
                                DOS 4.0 and 4DOS (??). And in both cases
                                they don't work with Novell netware drives.

After these experiences, I wrote a very short Turbo Pascal 5.0 program
that solved my problem:

program IFEXIST;
uses DOS;
var
  F:file;
  ATTR:word;
  EXITCODE:word;
begin
  assign(F,paramstr(1));
  getfattr(F,ATTR);
  if DOSERROR<>0 then
    EXITCODE:=2
  else if (ATTR and DIRECTORY)=0 then
    EXITCODE:=1
  else
    EXITCODE:=0
  ;
halt(EXITCODE);
end.

Usage:   IFEXIST directory
Results: ERRORLEVEL=0: directory exists
                   =1: something exists, but it is no directory
                   =2: does not exist

A simple but effective solution?

                                   Andreas Tranquillini

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 91 07:20:00 EST
From: "Larry Mendlow" <mendlowl@imo-uvax5.dca.mil>
Subject: Finite Element Analysis Software

David Dodell in V91 No38 asks about shareware or commercially available
Finite Element Analysis Programs.

I don't know of any shareware FEA programs.  I've seen one company
advertise heavily in engineering trade magizines about its desktop FEA
programs.  The company is:

 Algor Inc
 260 Alpha Drive
 Pittsburg, PA 15238
 (412)967-2700

I have not tried this program and have no idea how good or user
friendly it is.  I am not affilated in any way with Algor and am not
recommending this product (Usual disclaimer).

One other potential source of FEA program information would be any
mechanical or civil engineering department at a college.  FEA was
originally developed by these fields and those people know it best.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 08:32 GMT
From: Ed van Daalen <E.F.G.vanDaalen%MARIN.nl@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Big Text Editor (V91 #52)

Gary Bisaga is seeking for a big file text editor. In the past year
I've been using a demo-version of Multi-Edit, a very nice text editor
which can handle big files. It uses some kind of window which gives
access to a part of a file, if the file is too big to fit in the
window. The editor has very nice menus and was designed to be used with
a mouse. I don't know what the official version can do more than the
demo version, but I never ran into problems.

Some interesting features are multi-windows and column-block-marking,
which is very useful in manipulating numerical data. A similar
text-editor is used in F77L, a Fortran-compiler.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 17:29:11 TUR
From: Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Neat Software Reviews

Here is a brief summary of the stuff that blew my socks off recently:

<MSDOS.DSKUTL>HYDK240.ZIP: HYPER DISK: Disk caching software - but it
also caches WRITES to the disk.  So, you can say COPY *.* A: and be
done in five seconds, with the DOS prompt. If you repeat it, COPY *.*
A:, you get done in one second!  the writing goes on whenever the
system is idle. Works amazingly well, especially if you have lots of
RAM. Works with Windows 3 too.

<MSDOS.WINDOWS3>SCRPEAC3.ZIP: Talking of Windows: I recommend SCREEN
PEACE screen saver for windows.  It has tons of totally different
displays. Including fishes, fireworks, a puzzle that shifts your
windows screen,many more. all this until you move the mouse or click a
key. it then restores your screen.

If anyone else tried something neat recently, well, why not let us know
about it?   Regards, -turgut

------------------------------

Date: 14 Mar 91 14:31:00 GMT-9:00
From: "HUGH PRESTON" <hpreston@osan-emh.af.mil>
Subject: Windows 3.0 Screens

Hello all,

In a recent issue of the digest, I read that someone was having a
problem with windows 3.0 not "saving" the screen properly.  Not sure if
I have an answer as to why the problem was there but I can tell you
that it ain't so!  I recently "built" my own 80386 machine [DTK 25Mhz
mother board] and have gone to windows 3.0 for everything. My machine
loads the window(s) just as I saved it, with not 1 but 4 windows of
different sizes.

I have one set up for my daughter [7 year old hacker], one for my
goodies, one for the "main" PM items (which is smaller), one for
Borland [Paradox 3.5, Pascal 6.0, Side Kick 2] and a 4th very small
window with nothing but cute screen displays to show off VGA to the
occasional visitor. I am using all of the windows 3.0 memory managers
to control the 8 megs of RAM in the box.

Interestingly, Turbo Pascal 6.0 wouldn't run from the DOS prompt
without giving me the out of memory routine but when "exploded" from a
windows 3.0 icon, worked great.

Icons? In all, the current count is about 93 for various different
utilities and programs. I really like the way Procomm+ runs as a full
screen which I can alt Tab to an icon and still continue to download
files with kermit. Multi-tasking is GREAT!

Hugh Preston
Osan AB, Korea

PS: Just a happy customer, not a sales person for MS Windows!
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 02:10:31 MEZ
From: "Gisbert W.Selke" <S00100%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: NUMLOCK - Turning Off

In a recent info-ibmpc digest, <smr49@hull.ac.uk> asks for a way of
turning off the NumLock key. PC magazine published a wee utility to do
so back in 1988; to recreate NUMLKOFF.COM, run "debug < numlkoff.scr",
where this latter file consists of the following 12 lines [down to the
line that begins "Then you can...]:

N NUMLKOFF.COM
POP DS
AND BYTE PTR [0417], DF
INT 20

R CX
8

Then you can include NUMLKOFF in your autoexec.bat, say.  (In case some
EBCDIC gateway mangled the above message: there are square brackets
around 0417 in 'AND BYTE PTR [0417], DF'.)

\Gisbert   <s00100@dbnrhrz1.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 10:54:49 EST
From: poulin@acsu.buffalo.edu (Marc C. Poulin)
Subject: Looking for Common LISP

I am looking for a commerical version of LISP (preferably Common LISP).
It should be able to fit in 640K if necessary, but have the ablility to
use extended/expanded memory if it is available.  Has anyone heard of
such a beast?  Please E-mail replies, and I will summarize.

Thanks,
   Marc

Marc C. Poulin    (I speak for myself only unless otherwise indicated)
I: poulin@{acsu.buffalo.edu|softvax.radc.af.mil}    B: V069HPMS@UBVMS
U: {rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!poulin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:41:22
From: Gray Cluley <GM_CLULEY@prime2.bristol-poly.ac.uk>
Subject: Program input/output capture

I have written an adventure game as a project for my college course.
What I now need to do is produce a printout of the program in action,
with my text inputs breaking up the computer responses.

Is there a program which can capture scrolling text displayed on screen
to a file.  I'd rather not use a simple 'snapshot' program as they tend
to store just one screen at a time.  In other words the program
(preferably PD or shareware.. resources are very limited on British
educational grants!) should produce a carbon copy of screen output to a
file.

Any ideas? Please help!!!

Gray Cluley, Bristol Poly, United Kingdom

gm_cluley@p2.brispoly.ac.uk
JANET: gm_cluley@uk.ac.brispoly.p2
Internet: gm_cluley%p2.brispoly.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
EARN/BITNET: gm_cluley%p2.brispoly.ac.uk@UKACRL
UUCP: gm_cluley%p2.brispoly.ac.uk@ukc.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 91 11:45:25 EDT
From: Stanislav Saic <TI83%CSPGAS11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: VGA addressing

Hi,
is there anybody out there who knows, how to directly address VGA
memory banks in extended modes 640x400 and 800x600 with 256 colors. Any
advise or a tip for literature are greatly appreciated.

Stanislav Saic (TI83@CSPGAS11.BITNET)
CSAV-UTIA, Praha 8, Pod vodarenskou vezi 4, Czechoslovakia

------------------------------

Date: 12 March 1991 11:29:38 CST
From: "Mark S. Zinzow" <MARKZ@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: ALICE13A.ZIP - Lewis Carroll-ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.books>
ALICE13A.ZIP    Lewis Carroll-ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

It adds two missing paragraphs, and corrects some typos that were in
ALICE11.ZIP which was previously uploaded.

Mark Zinzow
MARKZ@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1991 15:02:07 GMT
From: sidney@borland.com (Sidney Markowitz)
Subject: Borland patches for TC++ 1.01 and BC++ 2.0

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>
BC20P1.ZIP      Patch file for BC++ v2.0 (from Borland)

Patch file issued by Borland for Borland C++ v2.0:
Corrects:
 1) Incorrect scrolling of screen text in conio routines.
 2) Occasional bogus "Insert disk in Drive A:" message during
expression eval and inspect on single floppy drive systems

pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>
TCPPT2.ZIP      Patch file for TC++ v1.01 (from Borland)

Patch file issued by Borland for Turbo C++ v1.01 Corrects occasional
bogus "Insert disk in Drive A:" message during expression eval and
inspect on single floppy drive systems

Sidney Markowitz
sidney@borland.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1991 Mar 12   01:06 EST
From: Bob Babcock <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject: DLS200.ZIP - Disk labeling system, interfaces w/catalogers

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

DLS200.ZIP      Disk labeling system, interfaces w/catalogers

This program is by Jim Clark.  As the author of Wssindex, I cooperated
in testing the code for making labels from a Wssindex database.

An extract from the README file:

                                 DLS v2.00

DLS is a fully functional shareware program designed to read the main
directory files and any subdirectory files from all types of 3-1/2" and
5-1/4" diskettes in the A or B drive and then print a label or disk
insert (for 5-1/4" diskettes) on your printer.  You may also read any
drive that DOS recognizes from C to Z.

- Added support for some disk catalog programs.  DLS can read the
catalog databases produced by: CatDisk, LogiCat, PmCat, and, of course,
my own WSSIndex and print disk labels from these files.

Bob Babcock <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.HARVARD.EDU>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 14:00:37 PST
From: pm4060nm@TECNET1.JCTE.JCS.MIL (Nat Martino)
Subject: DS410A.ZIP - Directory Scanner 4.10A - Disk/File Mngr

I have uploaded the latest version of my Directory Scanner program to
SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
DS410A.ZIP      Directory Scanner 4.10A - Disk/File Mngr

   - Nat Martino
     pm4060nm@tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 17:48:55 EST
From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Epsilon v5.0 extensions uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 a number of EEL code files which I grabbed
from the Lugaru BBS (412-421-4678) a few weeks ago.

pd1:<msdos.eel>
CURSPOS.E	Continuous display of cursor row/column
DECTOCH.E	Input characters by ASCII value
GREP.E		Interface with grep for multi-dir searches
WINCONF.E	Save/restore window setup
BAKIN.ZIP	Video and process buffer enhancements
EDITKEY.ZIP	Jump to definition of a keybinding
HELP_SYS.ZIP	Build your own help files for Epsilon
LISPMODE.ZIP	Useful keybindings for editing Lisp code
MARK.ZIP	Various region-marking commands
NEWMOUSE.ZIP	Improved mouse support functions
NEXTBUF.ZIP	Single-key switch between buffers
POINTSTK.ZIP	Maintain a stack of points and buffer names
PRINTER.ZIP	Print to HP LaserJet II or IBM Graphic Printer
SAVE_MOD.ZIP	Prompt for revision comments on saving file
STOREMOD.ZIP	Enhanced version of store.e
TAGMOD.ZIP	Enhanced version of tags.e
TRIM.ZIP	Trim whitespace from ends of lines

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 11:58:16 CST
From: ST7021%SIUCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: LCD_21A.ZIP - Change dir faster & /w more features than NCD

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
LCD_21A.ZIP     Change dir faster & /w more features than NCD

"Led's Change Directory" v2.1 by Keith Ledbetter.  Voted by the Public
(software) Library as one of "the 10 best utilities of 1990".   This
program helps you quickly and easily change between subdirectories on
your hard drive.   A work-alike to Peter Norton's NCD command.   This
program can act as a total replacement for DOS's CD, RD, and MD
commands.  A real time-saver!   Member, ASP.

Thomas Boehler
ST7021%SIUCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 18:30:08 EET
From: Timo Salmi <ts@uwasa.fi>
Subject: TSBAT24.ZIP - Collection of useful batch files by Timo Salmi

An updated copy of my collection of useful batch utilities is now
available from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.batutl>
TSBAT24.ZIP     Collection of useful batch files by Timo Salmi

I have written a menu based ansi.sys driven advanced batch for sending
command codes to the printer to make printer initialization and setting
easy. It is called setprn.bat. It is for Diconix Inkjet Parallel
Printer Model 150, which is an Espon compatible printer.  Thus the
batch is suitable for various different printer makes, and easily
configurable. I have added these two batches to my collection of
(hopefully) useful and instructive batch files.

There is a program-based alternative to setprn.bat, that is setdico.exe
which can be found in tsprn15.zip on SIMTEL20. The difference is that
in setprn.bat you are able to configure the printer codes if you wish.

TSBAT24.ZIP     Batch file collection, T.Salmi
Filename        Comment
--------        --------------------------------
ADDPATH.BAT     Append directories to the path
APATH-OM.BAT    Otto Makela's version of addpath
ARC2ZIP.BAT     Single .arc to .zip with comment
ASK.EXE         Ask questions in a batch file
BLANK.BAT       Poor man's screen saver
BLK.BAT         Poor man's screen saver & popup
C.BAT           Lazy changing of directory
COLOR.BAT       Set screen color attributes
D.BAT           Directory with sort & wildserach
DAILY.BAT       Run a program only once a day
DELDIR.BAT      Remove directory and its files
DELPATH.BAT     Delete a directory from the path
FU.BAT          Poor man's function evaluator
LASTBOOT.BAT    Show date + time of previos boot
LINK1.BAT       How to link batch files together
LINK2.BAT       Batch link demo's second file
LOCATE.BAT      Wildcard file find
LOGRUN.BAT      Log program usage & time and run
M.BAT           Give multiple MsDos commands
MAKESURE.BAT    Simple command.com virus warning
MENU.BAT        Run programs from a menu
POPDIRE.BAT     Restore (pop) saved directory
POPPATH.BAT     Restore the saved path
PUSHDIRE.BAT    Non-resident push directory
PUSHPATH.BAT    Save the current path
RUN.BAT         Testing for viruses
SAFEDEL.BAT     Safe delete of files
SAFEDEL1.BAT    Auxiliary batch to safedel.bat
SCANZIP.BAT     Scan for viruses (incl. lzexed)
SCOPY.BAT       Copy a file with a single device
SETCOM.BAT      Secure your command.com
SETPRN.BAT      Set an Epson compatible printer
SETPUSHD.EXE    Program for nonresident pushdire
SETVAR.BAT      Sets a variable for delpath.bat
SHOW.BAT        Wildcard multifile type command
SHOW1.BAT       Auxiliary batch for show.bat
TSBAT.INF       Document
TSBAT.NWS       News concerning this package
TSPROG.INF      List of PD programs from T.Salmi
UNPACK.BAT      Unpack-test-view any archivetype
VAASA.INF       Info: Finland, Vaasa, U of Vaasa
VIRUS.BAT       Another batch-based virus test
WHERE.BAT       Generic searchstring fname find
ZIPDATE.BAT     Equate .zip date to latest file
ZOO2ZIPH.BAT    Single .zoo to .zip on harddisk

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 04:24:17 PST
From: "Thomas E. Dell" <dell@APPLE.COM>
Subject: WAF164.ZIP - Waffle BBS v1.64, with UUCP mail & Usenet news

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.bbs>
WAF164.ZIP      Waffle BBS v1.64, with UUCP mail & Usenet news
WUP100.ZIP      Waffle BBS utility programs, version 1.00

...Tom
dell@apple.com

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #64
-------