Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/28/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 23 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  67

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                               Re: 4dos?
         Re: Data Base Package Recommendations wanted (V91 #55)
                            HP Laserjet III
                McAfee anti-viral programs and SIMTEL20
                            Re: Numlock Key
                   reading track 41 on 360k floppies.
                      Re: Request for PC LAN help
                     Re: SHARE and large partitions
                      The best SW and PD utilities

Today's Queries:
                  Hard disks and controllers (V91 #56)
                   MS Word -> Word Perfect Conversion
                 Where is Hard Disk Info Stored in CMOS

New Upload:
     QBNWS201.ZIP - QBNews-QBASIC Electronic Newsletter v2No1 2/91

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 17 Mar 91 16:58:46 GMT
From: elroy!usc!kosman.UUCP!kevin@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin O'Gorman)
Subject: 4dos?

motcid!yeates@uunet.UU.NET  (Tony J Yeates) writes:

 }I wondered what users thought of 4dos?  I understand that it  allows
 }longer file names to be used than dos....doesn't this cause any dos
 }compatibilty problems?  I use windows 3 for applications and already
 }have a command history/command edit utility to allow me to survive DOS
 }when I want to write some code ... would 4dos offer me any significant
 }advantages? (I'm used to UNIX shells and the features offered by many
 }of them ...such as aliasing, command history, etc.).  Are there any
 }problems/drawbacks that I should be aware of?

I've been using it for quite a while now.  I have absolutely no reason
to consider using COMMAND.COM again.  Not one.

The filenames are >not< any longer, sorry.

History is indeed one of the major wins.  There are also multiple
commands per line (I like to do this and walk away from the box for a
while), online help, much better globbing, and probably a bunch of
stuff I don't use, but you might.

Kevin O'Gorman
kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com
voice: 805-984-8042
Vital Computer Systems,
5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 20:14:13 EST
From: Mohit Chadha <MCHADHA@SBCCVM>
Subject: Re: Data Base Package Recommendations wanted (V91 #55)

> Date: Wed, 06 Mar 91 11:01:38 EST
> From: Victor Bagley IRM <BAGLEY@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU>

> I would like to get recommendations for a data base package; either
>   DBASE3, DBASE4, PARADOX, OR FOX.  Any comments will be welcome
> (good bad or ugly).

I use FoxPro at my job as a programmer/analyst.  Nothing compares to
it... it is much faster than dBase (III or IV), has an incredible
development interface, and with the forthcoming release of FoxPro 2.0,
the advantage of being able to compile with Clipper will no longer
exist.  I would suggest going for FoxPro - no one can compete when 2.0
comes out, within two months probably.

                                 ---  Mohit Chadha

Bitnet: mchadha@sbccvm        Internet: mchadha@ccvm.sunysb.edu
CompuServe: 70132,1546        Tel : (516)669-5218

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 22:21 CST
From: "Lin-Chow Sim"  <SIM5250@iscsvax.uni.edu>
Subject: HP Laserjet III

> Date: Thu,  7 Mar 91 14:10:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Thomas James Menner, Jr." <tm11+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> Just a few quick questions on the HP Laserjet III:

> 	Has anyone had any problems with Postscript compatibility (using
> either HP's or a 3rd party cartridge)?

       I am using a HP LaserJet III with Pacific Data's Page Personal
Edition 4.0 with no problem at all, apart from the slooooooow response
time after the print command is being issued.  But price wise, it is a
good buy!

Lin-Chow Sim                           InterNet : <SIM5250@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU>
Database Programmer/Consultant         UUCP : <...sun!iscsvax.uni.edu!sim5250>
Perinatal Project
Peoples Community Health Clinic        MCIVoice : +1-319-266-3248
403 Sycamore Suite 2
Waterloo, Iowa  50703                  - Coffee Not Found!! Operator Halted -
United States of America

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1991  01:45 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: McAfee anti-viral programs and SIMTEL20

I just received word from McAfee Associates that they have agreed to
upload each new release of McAfee anti-viral programs for MS-DOS to
Detroit Download Central, the BBS I co-SysOp.  From there I will
transfer the files in their original form to SIMTEL20.

What this means to Internet users is that the programs will be
available for downloading from SIMTEL20, and the mirror sites, within
12 hours of their release by McAfee.

Keith

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Co-SysOp, Detroit Download Central 313-885-3956 (V22bis/HST/V32/V42bis/MNP5)
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

------------------------------

Date: 18 Mar 91 10:01
From: Martin.Timann%cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: Numlock Key

On Thu,21 Feb 91 user SMR49@hull.ac.uk asked:

>Could anyone tell me how to get rid of the feature where the NumLock
>key automatically switches itself on when the computer is switched on
>or booted up.

Here is a "debug" file to overcome this problem. Put the following code
in a file called numoff.deb and type on the dos commandline

                debug < numoff.deb

a 100
MOV     AX,0040
MOV     DS,AX
AND     BYTE PTR [0017],DF
MOV     AH,4C
INT     21

rcx
n numoff.com

Don't forget the blank line between INT 21h and rcx !

This produces a file called numoff.com. Put the following line in your
autoexec.bat file:

                [drive:][path\] numoff

and the Numlock Key will be switched off automatically everytime your
booting.

Martin Timann

Timann@cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.dbp.de
Timann@cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Timann@derrze

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 09:43:49 -0500 (EST)
From: "Johnny J. Chin" <jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: reading track 41 on 360k floppies.

Folks:

How about trying to use DRIVER.SYS that comes with DOS 3.2x and up?
I've gotten this to work.  All you have to include in CONFIG.SYS is:

    DEVICE = DRIVER.SYS /D:00 /F:7 /H:02 /S:09 /T:41

Remember to place a copy of DRIVER.SYS in the root directory.  Then
reboot your computer.

Now, drive F (depends on how many hard drives you have) will be the
drive designation for a 41 track 360k (physically its drive A).  If you
have a 360k physically as drive B, change /D:00 to /D:01.

I hope this helps you format and read/write 41 track 360k disk.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1991  10:15 MST
From: "Frank J. Wancho" <WANCHO@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Request for PC LAN help

Fred,

I have been using FATAL14, listed below, as a TSR loaded before I start
up LANtastic (a PC LAN).  It might be close to what you want.

--Frank
--------------------

PD1:<MSDOS.4DOS>
4D2411.ZIP	7006	901229	TSR critical error handler (INT 24) for 4DOS

PD1:<MSDOS.C>
CXLHDERR.ZIP	3134	900402	C source for critical error handler with CXL

PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
CRITERR.ZIP	8213	900419	Pop-Up DOS Critical Error handler
FATAL14.ARC	21551	900117	Trap DOS critical errors & handle them better

PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>
INT24.ARC	11008	870927	  New Int 24H ('Critical Error')

------------------------------

Date: 17 Mar 91 17:02:33 GMT
From: elroy!usc!kosman.UUCP!kevin@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Kevin O'Gorman)
Subject: Re: SHARE and large partitions

jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo) writes:

>   I read from PC-Mag that SHARE should be run in DOS 4 with larger
>than 32MB partitions. I use NEC DOS 3.30, which allow be to use large

Then you probably don't need anything else.

>partitions as well.  Do I need to install SHARE also? What parameters
>should be used?

I use a little utility called NOSHARE: it seems the reason for SHARE
has to do with old-style DOS calls.  SHARE makes them work right.
NOSHARE makes them fail always.  Since hardly anything uses them any
more, I have not had any software break on this account.  And NOSHARE
is really small.

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 91 19:04:24 EET
From: Timo Salmi <ts@uwasa.fi>
Subject: The best SW and PD utilities

Having had the opportunity to use PCs extensively both at work and at
home for several years I decided to take a very subjective look at what
have been the most useful MsDos shareware and PD utilities for me. Here
are my choices in an alphabetical order.

ced10da.zip     Command line editor. This facility lets the user to
                recall earlier commands, edit the commands, and make
                aliases for the commands.

dc106f.zip      Directory control from the PC-Magazine by Michael
                Mefford. A simple, but a very useful point and shoot
                facility to copy, move, rename, or delele files.

dirmat20.zip    Dirmatch for comparing & manipulating two dirs.
                Another really great utility from Michael Mefford.

dirw.exe        From my own tsutil31.arc utility collection. It is
                like MsDos dir /w, but it also shows the file
                attributes, and it can be made to recurse all the
                directories. I use it on a daily basis to have a
                backup list of what my hard disks contain.

drx101.zip      A shell for listing and handling lzexe and pklite
                etc. compressed executables. Relative new, but a
                very useful companion to lzexe and pklite.

keyrate.exe     From my own tsutld19.arc utility collection. What it
                effectively does is that it speeds up the cursor
                movement. An absolute necessity because the slow
                default keyrepeat rate makes moving the cursor a
                real pain in the neck.

list75f.zip     Vernon Buerg's list program, a definite must.

pklte103.exe    PKWare's compress and unprompress executables. One
                of the great ideas of 1990 came from France from
                Fabrice Bellard. He wrote lzexe91.zip (currently) to
                decompress executable at call time by putting the
                decompression code into the excutable. PKWare took
                the idea (an echo of the .arc debacle?), and
                developed with their backgroud a more professional
                product.

pkz110.exe      The most useful all around archiver. From PKWare.
                (Surrounded by some unnecessary hassle around the
                encryption issue when exported outside North
                America). Pkzip was born out of the controversy
                and ligitation on .arc archiving.

scanv75.zip     VIRUSCAN 6.9v75; scans for 223 major virus strains
                McAfee's virus scanner has draw true world-wide
                acclaim. I've needed in just once in earnest, but
                that's enough to get it on this list.

shez60b.zip     A shell to drive the many archivers for MsDos (that
                is for the programs un/compressing and clustering
                files). By Jim Derr.

snippr24.zip    Snip the screen into a file originally by Tom
                Kihlken in the PC-Magazine. This TSR utility can
                capture text from the screen, and send it to the
                printer, a file, or the keydoad buffer as if typed.

sst_52a.zip     Seek and thou shalt find. An excellent filename
                finder by Keith Ledbetter. Fast, with many useful
                options including browsing inside archives.  The
                previous version of this program was called where44b.

tlx312a1.zip    Telix 3.12a telecommunications package.  There are
                many excellent telecom packages on the scene, and
                the choice is somewhat arbitrary between them. Telix
                was one of the first with inbuilt Zmodem, and its
                user interface is the most convenient I know. But
                none of the telecom progs is completely without any
                problems, and this goes for Telix, too.

tsrcom29.zip    TSR utilities from TurboPower Software, a must
                Most importantly includes mark, release, and mapmem
                for unloading terminate and stay resident programs.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 14:15:41 IST
From: Nir Nathansohn <NIRN@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Hard disks and controllers (V91 #56)

Hello,
I have got a 386sx clone with 40 MB ST-157A-1 disk, connected to
ST07A/08A controller (RLL). I also have an unused XT with ST-225 (20
mb). Does anybody know, if there is any way to install the ST-225 as a
second drive in my 386sx?  I know I'll have to reformat it, but how can
I make the connection technically (use another controller for both
disks, add a seperate controller to the ST-225 etc).

Thanks,
athansohn

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 91 20:51 CST
From: MORRISON%UWSTOUT.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: MS Word -> Word Perfect Conversion

I'm looking for a program that will convert Microsoft Word Ver 5
documents to a Word Perfect Ver 5 document and vic versa.  I know I can
save either type of document in an ASCII format and use it with the
other program but this loses the formating features such as underlining
and the like.  Public Domain programs would be preferred but if you
know of any commercial programs I would also like to hear about them.

Thanks in advance
Morrison@UWSTOUT.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 11:28:39 EXP
From: Kim Jin Soo <WATER4%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Where is Hard Disk Info Stored in CMOS

In AMI Bios, When We setup the User HDD type, where goes this info?
First, I thought this info. might go into  CMOS Ram. But I couldn't
find that there.

Please inform me.
Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1991 19:02 EST
From: "William G. Guethlein" <WGUETHLEIN@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Subject: QBNWS201.ZIP - QBNews-QBASIC Electronic Newsletter v2No1 2/91

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.qbasic>
QBNWS201.ZIP    QBNews-QBASIC Electronic Newsletter v2No1 2/91

..bill
wguethlein@ccmail.sunysb.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #67
-------