Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (03/29/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 24 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  69

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            386 Motherboards
                     Big File Text Editor (2 msgs)
               Data Base Package Recommendation (V91 #55)
                        Extended/Expanded - ARG!
                    graphics for MS-FORTRAN (2 msgs)
             hard drive and controller questions (V91 #56)
                         Listing of interrupts
                    Looking for transistor for 8514
           Re: Connecting a second keyboard to a PC (V91 #58)
                       HP Laserjet III (V91 #56)

Today's Queries:
                         Award BIOS info Wanted
                           Epson LQ-510 bugs?
                      HPGL -> Micrografx Designer
                    Quietwriter and IBM 5218 Printer
                                UUDECODE

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 23:53:17 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: 386 Motherboards

[text deleted]
>Can anyone with first hand experience comment on these products (or
>others).  Information regarding vendor sources (some will not sell to
>individuals) would also be appreciated.

I have seen a product advertised by the SOTA company.  It is a small
board that plugs directly into the 80286 socket, requiring no bus slot.
It includes an 80386 processor, converting AT systems to 3T with little
intrusion.  I have never used one, but I have a friend who has done so
with good results.  He had to physically modify a Model 50 to make room
for the Sota card, but there are many systems which would require no
change, depending on the location of the processor socket.  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp            #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
# abs (investment#1 - investment#2) << abs (anyinvestment - anydebt)    #

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 11:07:42 EST
From: gary@ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga  x4219)
Subject: Big File Text Editor

Thanks to all who responded to my request for a DOS editor that will
handle large files.  Wow!  Talk about alot of responses!

Several people noted that EDLIN's "w" and "a" commands will allow you
to do this (although it is ugly and I would imagine that it's easy to
forget to go through the entire file and thus end up with the file
accidentally truncated).  Several people also mentioned just breaking
up the file into multiple pieces (which I had already done using AWK,
but, again, it was ugly).

Other programs mentioned include:

1. SAGE professional editor

2. Lugaru Software's EPSILON, an EMACS variant

3. Several mentions for KEDIT, a powerful editor that uses EMS
(Mansfield Software Group, 203-429-8402)

4. A shareware program called QEdit

5. A PD editor from Simtel called ALED

6. Another Simtel editor called GALAXY

7. SPF/PC, which is an IBM XEDIT clone (cool!  been awhile since I've
written XEDIT macros!)

8. PT, the Logitech mouse-based editor (free)

9. A strong recommentation for BRIEF programmers editor

10. "Rand" editor available from Simtel (?)

11. A shareware program for Windows called Notebook

12. The shareware PC-Write by Quicksoft (206-282-0452)

13. Standard WP programs Microsoft WORD, Word Perfect, and Borland
sprint

14. JOVE, a PD emacs clone on Simtel

15. Norton Editor, from Peter Norton (408-253-9600)

Thanks to: Robert A. Lerche, Mychal Boyd Manie, Jeff Pilant, David J.
Camp, Ron Robertson, Chuck R., PU@NERUS.PFC.MIT.EDU, Guenther
W.Himmelmann, Allan Wax, Judy "Ginger" Edighoffer, Mike O'Carroll, Doug
Hanson, Greg Schramm, Jan J. Sirks, Bob Kilgore, David Dodell, Scott
Telford, and John R. Lewis.

I can send the entire unedited set of responses to anybody interested.

Gary Bisaga (gary@ctc.contel.com)

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 91 07:15:00 EST
From: "mendlow, lawrence" <mendlowl@imo-uvax5.dca.mil>

Gary Bisaga in Issue 52 asks about editing large files (1/2Meg).  I
have had success with Norton Editor to work on ASCII files that are too
large to load all the file into memory at one time, but never one that
big.  Norton Editor claims to work on any size file by reading in a
portion, editing that portion, writing that portion to disk, and then
reading in the next portion.

Usual disclaimer, just a satisfied user.

[Larry:

I think you're talking about the newly released Norton Editor 2.0.  My
copy of Norton Editor can't handle the SIMIBM.IDX file (Listing of
Programs available from the MSDOS Archives from WSMR.SIMTEL20) at one
shot.  I have to delete x number of lines at the beginning of the file
in order to get the rest to load.  However, I just live with this
restriction because NE is such a small nice (quick and dirty??) editor.
Like you, I'm just a satisfied user.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:28:22 CST
From: Crede Edens <edens@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Data Base Package Recommendation (V91 #55)

Victor Bagley wanted recommendations for a data base package.

He didn't mention DBXL.  If this is within scope of consideration, I
would recommend it.  I have used it for several years and it has been
very satisfactory.  It does as much as DBASEIV and much more than
DBASEIII and is within everyone's price range (about $150.00).

Crede Edens
edens @stl-06sima.army.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 3:36:58 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Extended/Expanded - ARG!

>     My machine says 640K base, 384K extended memory when I boot.
> I      always seem to run out of memory, especially now that I'm
> trying to use a few more drivers.  I don't think that I'm using
> any of the 384 extended, and I was wondering if anyone could give
> me some hints on how to use the elusive extended memory.

There is a program called Move'Em that will load TSR's into the excess
384K on a 80286.  I do not know if it requires a special chipset.

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:06:28 GMT
From: Jacek Holeczek <HOLECZEK%PLKTUS11.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: graphics for MS-FORTRAN

Hi !
Does anybody out there know how to interface graphics functions from
Turbo C 2.0 or Turbo C++ to MS-FORTRAN 3.3 or 4.0 ?

Jacek Holeczek

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 22:41:18 IST
From: CETEK63%TECHNION.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu

In order to use non-Microsoft libraries with MS-Fortran you'll have to
use a special linker.  EG: to use the C++ libraries you'll need TLINK
(By Borland) or simmilar.

I've been doing graphics with MS-Fortran extensively using a lirary
called HALO (By Media-Cybernetics).  They have that library available
for quite a few languages and adapters.

* Shahar Steiff  *  Dept. of Chem.Eng., Technion IIT, Haifa, ISRAEL *
* Phone:(+)972-4-459536   Fax.(+)972-4-444012   TLX:45182 PALRAM IL *
* E-Mail:cerrlss@techunix.technion.ac.il    cetek63@technion.bitnet *
* Snail-Mail: Kibbutz Ramat-Yochanan, 30035, Israel                 *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 09:03:15 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: hard drive and controller questions (V91 #56)

>Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1991 11:40:00 -0500
>From: JMULLER@MCMASTER.bitnet

>2) looking for a new hard-drive

Your controller can handle two hard drives.   So another ST506 drive
(also called ST412) can be used,  and this is probably the lowest cost
hardware approach.  Where will you install it?  If there is room in the
case for another drive,  you can use an ST251 for 40 MB,  or a ST225
for 20 MB.  If you need to 'install' it externally, you will also
need a case.  You will need to add (if your present cables are not
sufficient) a 34 conductor ribbon cable with two drive connectors on
it plus an additional 20 conductor cable and power cable for the new
drive.  Pay attention to instructions on setting drive ID number and
termination resistors.

You might consider the software appproach;  there are programs to
compress data written to the disk which effectively increase capacity
and data transfer rates, too.    There is an add for one called
SuperStor in the recent Infoworld,  needs Dos 3.X or 4.X.    Another is
Cubit.   Check your local or ail order sources for others.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 4:09:18 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Listing of interrupts

>In 1989 there was an excellent listing of interrupts - who knows, where
>to find it (or an update)?  We had it printed, but the printout was
>lost when we had to change to a new location...  Thank You!
>gwh

There is a very good shareware reference manual that features and
interrupt list and much more.  Here is the address to order it:

  This is a user-supported technical reference. If you find this
information to be of use, please mail your check or money order for $15
to:

        Dave Williams
        PO Box 181
        Jacksonville, AR 72087-0181
        USA

 In return for your support you will receive the very latest edition of
this manual on a disk, plus one disk of appendixes and references and a
third disk with source code. That's about two megabytes of raw data
when uncompressed, or the equivalent of ten manuals the size of the
technical reference manuals from IBM or Microsoft.

 In addition, supporting users may obtain updates by merely mailing a
disk and return postage whenever they feel like it.

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp            #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
# abs (investment#1 - investment#2) << abs (anyinvestment - anydebt)    #

[In addition to the source David quotes, there is a VERY comprehensize
listing of DOS interrupts available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil in
file

PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
INTER390.ZIP          Comprehensive listing of IBMPC interrupt calls

Although this was updated in July '90, this might be the file you're
looking for.

Hope this helps.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1991 23:00:38 GMT
From: berger@iboga (Mike Berger)
Subject: Looking for transistor for 8514

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>I have been working on an IBM 8514 VGA display and found a bad
>switching transistor in the power supply Q801.  It is made by
>Matsushita it has C3527 written on it but Matsushita can't cross the
>number over because it is an OEM part number. Does anyone have
>Schematics for the 8514?  A data sheet for the transistor or an ECG
>replacement?

I think you may be overlooking the obvious.  It's almost certainly a
2SC3527.  You can probably get a replacement from MCM Electronics or
Digi-Key.  It's hard to believe that somebody at Matsushita didn't
suggest that.

  Mike Berger
  Department of Statistics, University of Illinois
  AT&TNET     217-244-6067
  Internet    berger@atropa.stat.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 10:48:07 -0800
From: Chengi Jimmy Kuo <cjkuo@devnet.la.locus.com>
Subject: Re: Connecting a second keyboard to a PC (V91 #58)

Omer Zak <XLACHA1%WEIZMANN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

>I need to connect a second keyboard to a PC and run a program which
>accepts input from both keyboards, yet recognize the origin of each
>incoming character.  One possible way to implement this is to locate a
>keyboard with RS232C interface and connect it to one of the COMn: ports
>of the PC.

>However, I can't locate such a keyboard.

>I would appreciate if any one of you can lead me to such a keyboard
>and/or suggest alternative solutions which can be implemented.  Note:
>due to cost and space considrations, use of a terminal with display and
>with RS232C interface - is not desirable in this application.

PS/2 model 25 and 30 can support such a configuration with two normal
keyboards in the two ports in back.  But you need a bit of BIOS level
programming to recapture what it thinks is mouse input and translate it
back to keyboard codes, and then have another set of keyboard BIOS to
interpret it.

Jimmy Kuo
--
cjkuo@locus.com
"The correct answer to an either/or question is both!"

------------------------------

Date: Mon Mar 18 21:44:52 1991
From: polari!lsh@sumax.seattleu.edu (Lee Hauser)
Subject: HP Laserjet III (V91 #56)

>From: "Thomas James Menner, Jr." <tm11+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>Just a few quick questions on the HP Laserjet III:

> Is there a "heavy duty" version of this printer (i.e. with a high
>duty cycle and a better than 8ppm engine)?

> Has anyone had any problems with Postscript compatibility (using
>either HP's or a 3rd party cartridge)?

There is an HP IIID -- two trays, heavy-duty cycle, but I'm not sure
about speed.  It is a descendant of the IIP, a true workhorse.  HP has
also come out with a new III-series printer, the IIISI or something
like that, higher speed, two trays, network-ready.

As to the Postscript... we've put a PacificPage cartridge in a III.  It
works great on with PCs sending it stuff from WordPerfect 5.1 but have
had problems with putting a Mac on it, even with Pacific Data's Mac
interface.  It needs to be completely turned off when we try to print
from the PC after printing from the Mac.  I recommend this cartridge
over the HP because it can be turned off via the menu or software
commands (command line or batch).  The HP cart has to be physically
removed from the printer if you want to go back to PCL.  Hope this
helps!

                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari
                                  Lee Hauser

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 14:23:58 PST
From: snapwc@manta.nosc.mil (Thomas A. Laird)
Subject: Award BIOS info Wanted

I have just received a UNISYS 386DX from the airforce DT3 Contract.  it
is a 386/20 with the Award BIOS 3.03D, 1.2 & 1.4 FD and a 40mb SCSI.
Looking through the "Normal" HD Drive tables starting at F000:E400 I
find all Zeros.  If anybody has a system other than Unisys with the
Award Bios of 3.03 would you please be so kind as to check your HD
tables and let me know what you have at F000:E400 E600.  The other
question is it possible to go to a different BIOS ie AMI or Phoneix for
this machine.  I think  Unisys crippled this set so you cannot put
anythiing execpt a SCSI drive in it, even though the Docs say a
standard "ST-502" controller will work along with the SCSI.

                        Thanks
                    Thomas A. Laird

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 12:11:46 -0500
From: lazear@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: Epson LQ-510 bugs?

I have a new Epson LQ-510 that seems to have a "firmware" bug.  There
are escape sequences for turning on and off "outline" and "underline"
modes.  These consist of ESC, a command byte, and either 1 or 0 (for On
or Off).  When I send these to the printer, the mode turns on just
fine, but won't turn off until I power cycle the printer (annoying
during printouts, you know :-)

For other modes, there is a pair of escape commands, one to turn on
(ESC xx) and one to turn off (ESC xx+1) and it may be that the Outline
and Underline modes were a changeover to a "new" style (perhaps to save
command codes).

I'm sending the sequences with dBase III+ CHR() functions [like
CHR(27)+CHR(45)+CHR(0)], if that helps.  I don't know that it makes any
difference how the character sequence gets generated (BASIC or dBase),
although they might have trouble with the 0 (zero) byte part of the
command getting all the way through the character handler.

Anybody else had a problem like this?  Solutions?  Thanks for any help.

  Walt

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 14:44 N
From: <KOENEN%DULRUU51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: HPGL -> Micrografx Designer

I want to include HPGL plots into the Micrografx Designer.  Does
anybody have an idea?

Joachim Koenen
Uni Ulm, Abt. Experimentelle Physik,
Albert Einstein Allee 11, W-7900 Ulm, Germany

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 11:03 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Quietwriter and IBM 5218 Printer

I have a couple of questions:

1)  I need a printer driver for the IBM Quietwriter (Original model)
for Microsoft Windows 3.  Is there such a thing?  (I'm also sending
this to WIN3-L)

2)  I need to connect an IBM 5218 printer to an IBM PS/2 30-286.  Is
this possible?  It works on an XT but will not work on an AT or the
30-286.  Has anyone ever done this before?

Thanks!
Terry Lewis
UT Martin
TLEWIS@UTKVX

------------------------------

Date: 19 March 91, 14:34:53 UPM
From: ACSMSS@SAUPM00.BITNET
Subject: UUDECODE

I am working on AMDHAL 580 running under VM/CMS 5. I got some PC files
from LISTSERV at RPIECS. The small files are OK I can download them to
PC and UNZIP or UNARC them to use them but when it comes to larger
files. I received them in PART and I tried to use UUDECODE.COM after
removing the headers but I got an INPUT ERROR or NOTHING TO  DECODE
messages. I wonder if anyone there can guide me or tell me what to do
in order to get it working. I also got from one gentleman new version
of UUDECODE/UUENCODE in which I don't required to merge the parts but
that didn't work it either. so please HELP ME. Thanks in advance.

Mohammed Siddiq
<ACSMSS@SAUPM00.BITNET>

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #69
-------