Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/02/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 26 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  72

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
               /archive/mirrors disk is dead on wuarchive
                 DD 3.5" disks formatted to HD (1.44M)
                 Disable Control-C (V91 #53) (2 msgs)
               Re: Numlock Key as a Normal Key (V91 #60)
                        System problem (V91 #60)
                Mix compiler & IDE controllers (V91 #60)
          re: DD 3.5" disks formatted to HD (1.44M) (V91 #61)
     Diablo 630 Printer Connector Information Wanted (V91 #52, #61)
                           LocalTalk and MCA
                          OS/2 and Disk Drives
                      Program for data validation
                                 SYSID
                TSR to redirect screen output to printer
                        Upgrading XTs (V91 #70)

Today's Queries:
                           DOS 386 Extenders
                           IBM AT warm reset
                          kanji paint program
                              reliability
                              Toolbook + C

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 14:31:04 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: /archive/mirrors disk is dead on wuarchive

For those wondering what happened to the MsDos archive on wuarchive,
this should explain everything.  -David-

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 13:36:06 -0600
From: chris@wugate
To: wuarchive-announce@wugate
Subject: /archive/mirrors disk is dead

Wuarchive has suffered from the loss of it's largest disk drive, which
held /archive/mirrors.  Until this drive is replaced or I can scrape up
a few hundred megabytes of disk space to NFS mount, all of the material
in the mirrors directory will be unavailable.  Because all of this
material is copied from other, less accessible sites, nothing has been
lost but there will be a delay while the files are re-retrieved.

There will be a short downtime whenever the replacement disk arrives --
since I would like to get the drive up ASAP, this will probably be
unannounced.  If your system still have /archive/mirrors mounted, you
MUST find a way to dismount it before the new disk is installed.  On
some systems there is a forced dismount option (Ultrix, umount -f), but
on others you may have to edit /etc/mtab to "dismount" the offending
partition (SunOS) or reboot your system (possibly others).

Other than that, the backups yesterday went just fine (esp. with 983MB
less data to back up).  I still haven't solved the problem with the new
monitor EPROMS preventing wuarchive from booting, so there will be
additional downtime announced in the future while I try to figure this
out.

Also, because of the amount of traffic caused by unwary people sending
mail to wuarchive-l, the name of this mailing is being changed
effective NOW.  wuarchive-l has become wuarchive-announce, so if you
ever feel the need to unsubscribe or let a friend know how to subscribe
please remember to use the new name.

Another announcement will be sent out as soon as a replacement disk,
either real or phantom, is in place -- this may not occur until next
Tuesday.

Chris Myers                                Internet: chris@wugate.wustl.edu
Software Engineer                           UUCP: ...!uunet!wuarchive!chris
Office of the Network Coordinator                BITNET: chris@wunet.bitnet
Washington University in Saint Louis                 Phone: +1 314 726 7390

P.S.  As usual, please DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  The reply would
be directed to the entire list, which is a bad thing.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 20:46:24 +0100
From: C102TA%AINUNI01@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: DD 3.5" disks formatted to HD (1.44M)

I also have an IBM PS/2 model 50Z; I tried to format normal DD disks to
1.44 MB and, like Chuck, I did not have any troubles ...

But: these "pseudo-high-density" disks are  o n l y  readable in PS/2
drives (model 50 and above)! I checked this on several PS/2's and on
several other systems, always with the same result.  I cannot explain
why this happens.

Besides: The PS/2 drives do not check the hole on the right side of the
disk, so you do not need to punch it. PS/2 drives always assume that
the disk has high density.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 07:21:30 EST
From: gary@ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga  x4219)
Subject: Disable Control-C (V91 #53)

>> [ stuff about running a password program from AUTOEXEC ]
>Yes, this is possible.  Make your last line of CONFIG.SYS:
>   SHELL=COMMAND.COM /c MYPROG parms
>where MYPROG is your password checking program.  Of course, that
>program must be not "breakable".  Also note that anybody can boot from
>floppy disk and by-pass this.

This may be common knowledge, but I'll mention it anyway.  It is only
true that somebody may bypass via the A: floppy drive -- BIOS will not
boot from the B: drive (for exactly this security reason).

Actually, there is a bigger question here: Are you trying to get actual
security, or something to stop people from making too many mistakes?  I
heard somebody suggest solving the problem administratively, which
would not have much effect in a non-auditable campus environment if
you're really aiming for security.  Not to mention the fact that
somebody could just come in and take the program call OUT of the
AUTOEXEC.

Additionally, it seems rather than disable control-C in the AUTOEXEC,
it would just be easier to run the password program out of the
CONFIG.SYS, say, right at the beginning?  Surely there's a program on
Simtel like this!

Sincerely,
Gary Bisaga (gary@ctc.contel.com)

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 91 20:01 -0800
From: Joseph Gil <yogi@cs.ubc.ca>

The solution for this problem is quite simple and elegant. In your
config.sys add a 'shell=' directive, specifieng the path to your
command.com. In the end of the parameters list add 'nul'

Example:
  SHELL=c:\command.com/p nul

*most* versions of DOS will start command.com reading and writing from
the nul device. Do not forget to issue

  ctty con

at the end of your autoexec.bat.

-Yossi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 91 16:23:32 EST
From: Manjit Trehan <ITMS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Numlock Key (V91 #60)

>>I want to use the upper row of keys on the numeric-pad; my problem is
>>the numlock-key. I want to disable the light, which is associated with
>>it and then use the key as any other one, but not to toggle between
>>numeric-pad ON/OFF. Any suggestion/pseudo-code/... appreciated.
>
>The numeric key is electrically different from the other keys.  For one
>thing, it has no typamatic.  So if you want to "use the key as any
>other one", it is an impossibility.

Nothing is impossible...

I wrote the following program to make the right control key same as the
enter key (yes, I am an IBM PC/3270 user).  It works only on a PS/2
(may also work on an AT).  If you check memory location 40:17 (hex), to
see if NumLock is on (instead of int 16 function 12), it could be made
to work on XTs etc. also.  If you find the bit corresponding to the
numlock key is on, you could turn it off (see NUMOFF.COM or its
variations), and place the character you want in the keyboard buffer.
The code is not well documented, but, it is small.  If you need any
help figuring anything out, send me a note.

Manjit

------------------------------Cut here-------------------------------
;------------------
;Keyboard locations
;------------------

ROM_BIOS        SEGMENT AT 40H
                ORG       17h
Stat            DB        ?
                ORG       1Ah
Head            DW        ?
Tail            DW        ?
Buffer          DW        15 DUP (?)
Buff_End        Label     WORD
ROM_BIOS        ENDS

;------------------------------
;New keyboard interrupt handler
;------------------------------

DOSFTN          SEGMENT
                ASSUME    CS:DOSFTN,DS:ROM_BIOS
                ORG       100h

Start:          jmp       Setup

;------------------------------
;Old keyboard interrupt handler
;------------------------------

OldInt9         DD        ?
Active          DB        0

;----------NewInt9----------

NewInt9         PROC      NEAR
                push      ax
                push      bx
                push      dx
                push      ds

;--------------------------------
;Push flags for IRET from OLD_KBD
;--------------------------------

                pushf
                call      cs:OldInt9

;------------------------------------
;Check if trigger character was typed
;------------------------------------

                mov       bx,40h
                mov       ds,bx

                mov       bx,Head
                cmp       bx,Tail
                jnz       Exit

;*********Check location 40:17 (hex) to see if numlock is on

                mov       ah,12h     ;Enhanced keyboard status
                int       16h
                test      ax,400h    ;Is right Ctrl key down?
                jz        Exit

                cmp       cs:Active,1
                jz        Exit
                mov       cs:Active,0

                mov       bx,Tail
                mov       dx,bx
                inc       dx                        ;Move forward one word
                inc       dx
                cmp       dx,Offset Buff_End        ;Do we need to wrap around
                jbe       HeadOK
                mov       dx,Offset Buffer        ;Yes, move a word back from en
HeadOK:
                cmp       dx,Head
                je        Exit                        ; Buffer is full

                mov       [bx],1c0dh  ;******** Place ENTER in KBD buffer
Done:
                mov       Tail,dx
Release:

;********** I check if key has been released here, but, since you
;********** will turn numlock off yourself, you may want either a
;********** delay here or use scan code to see if the key has been
;********** released.  In any case, you will need to do something
;********** to avoid a string of the same key being genereated

                mov       ah,12h
                int       16h
                test      ax,400h
                jnz       Release

                mov       cs:Active,0

Exit:
                pop       ds
                pop       dx
                pop       bx
                pop       ax
                iret
NewInt9         ENDP

;---------------------------------
;Code to set up interrupt pointers
;---------------------------------

Setup:          jmp       SkipData

Message         DB        'IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM;',13,10
                DB        ': ENTER - Makes right Ctrl an Enter key.  :',13,10
                DB        ':                                         :',13,10
                DB        ':          - by Manjit S. Trehan          :',13,10
                DB        'HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM<',13,10,'$

SkipData:
                mov       word ptr OldInt9,bx      ;save old vector
                mov       word ptr OldInt9+2,es
                mov       dx,offset NewInt9        ;save TSR's address
                mov       ax,2509h                 ;  as the new int 9
                int       21h

                mov       dx,Offset Message        ;print message
                mov       ah,9
                int       21h

                mov       dx,Offset Setup+1        ;free memory after Setup
                int       27h                      ;  and terminate
DOSFTN          ENDS

                END       Start

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 09:54:45 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: System problem (V91 #60)

>Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 15:33:58 SST
>From: Vincent Chan <ENGP0017%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>

> not the autoexec.bat. ...

I would suspect that the Autoexec.bat is being missed because of some
stupid-type problem ... assuming that the computer did at some time
access the  file and now doesn't.   Can you run the autoexec.bat from
the prompt after the boot is completed?   If so,  the file and file
name are OK,  and the path or location of the file may be a problem.
If it won't run,  rename it using one of the file manager programs like
Xtree.   I have had file names get corrupted such thay they looked OK
but would not run when called.   You can't even rename them from the
keyboard,  since you don't know what the computer thinks the name is;
you have to  read the file name as it is stored and rename to
autoexec.bat again.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 09:43:29 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Mix compiler & IDE controllers (V91 #60)

>Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 09:55:13 EST
>From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

> IDE drives come with the controller attached
 ... not exactly ... they come with the controller built -in.

> IDE drives and AT controllers are compatible...
Two names for the same thing.

Drives are usually identified by the  'interface ' type ...not the host
type.  So,  an AT drive would mean that the interface to the drive is
direct to the AT I/O bus.  In order to control a  drive from the
motherboard bus,  which treats all i/o's pretty much the same,  all of
the drive functions must be generated in the drive.   All of the
'smarts' are in the drive.   IDE means Intelligent Drive
Esomething-or-other.

There is , of course,  an  `AT controller`  ... a controller card or
section of the motherboard which generates the ST-506, RLL, ESDI or
SCSI interface.   To avoid confusion,  this is not usually called an
'AT` controller,  but an ST-506 AT controller,  etc.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 10:11:05 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: re: DD 3.5" disks formatted to HD (1.44M) (V91 #61)

>Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 10:30:08 EST
>From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

>...a different number of tracks.

  The diskettes don't know about tracks before they are formatted;  the
controller deals with that.

   The difference between the DD and HD diskettes is the magnetic
material in the coating.  Usually, as the tracks get closer together,
they also get narrower ... the head is made smaller and the actual
recorded magnetic regions are narrower and shallower.   The potential
problem with the use of the DD diskettes is that the maximum available
flux density of the recorded signal is different from that of the HD
material.   This converts to different read signal levels from the head
for the two types of media when recorded from the same type of head.
If the signal available from the DD diskette is marginal for the HD
drive electronics,  there would be some reads that might fail.

   I think the 'loss' of data from the DD diskette is not so much a
change in the diskette magnetics as it is the use of a different drive,
a slight track misalignment.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 10:34:37 PST
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Diablo 630 Printer Connector Information Wanted (V91 #52, #61)

>Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 15:54:27 EST
>From: Curt Priest <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>

>The 630 used XON/XOFF protocol...

Among others.   The control panel slide switch  labelled 'protocol'
allows selection of Printer Ready or DC1/DC3 (X-ON/ X-OFF).  In either
switch position ETX/ACK can be used.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 16:31:30 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: LocalTalk and MCA

I used an IBM PS/2 Model 80 with a LocalTalk card from DayStar Digital.
I wasn't in on the decision to buy, so I don't know about alternatives
or costs.  It's been lightly loaded for 1.5 years with no problems.

    DayStar Digital
    5556 Atlanta Highway
    Flowery Branch, GA   30542
       (404) 967-2077
       (404) 967-3018 for FAX
       (800) 962-2077 for nearest dealer
(All the usual disclaimers.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 08:27:19 EST
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: OS/2 and Disk Drives

I've used IBM OS/2 Extended Edition Versions 1.1 and 1.2 on an IBM PS/2
Model 80/311, which has an ESDI drive.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 18:14:42 GMT
From: Andrew McLean <PHR050@ibm.southampton.ac.uk>
Subject: Program for data validation

I received two replies to my query (V91 #50) about a program to perform
simple data validation.

Mark Bramwell suggested the Turbo Technojock Library which I think is a
set of tools for Turbo Pascal which looks very useful if I need to
write the code myself and which I can get from an archive site in the
UK.

Karl Brendel <CDCKAB@EARN.EMUVM1> suggested a peice of pd software
which seems to be exactly what I want, I will let him decribe it.

> ... preamble deleted ...

> I'd like to suggest that you standardize your data entry scheme by
> using the public domain software Epi Info for data entry and
> validation. (You may find it useful as well for later analysis.)

> Using Epi Info, you can quickly create (or recreate) your data entry
> screens. Accessory .CHK files enable type and range validation, code
> lookup, programmable jumps among fields or to and from related
> files, etc. "Pop-up" error messages, prompts, code translations,
> pick lists, etc., are fairly easy to specify in the .CHK files.

> Epi Info can read DBase files directly; import DBase, 1-2-3,
> comma-delimited and fixed-field files; and export those formats plus
> those of SAS, BASIC, SPSS, EpiStat and Statpac. DBMS Copy (a
> commercial database file conversion utility) also supports Epi Info.

> The Epi Info package also includes a programmable text editor/word
> processor, analytic graphics, and an interface to Epi Map, a soon-to-
> be-released data mapping system (also public domain).

> Epi Info is available with a disk-based manual. The manual and other
> files can be freely copied and distributed among your survey
> personnel. A printed manual (which can also be freely copied) is
> also available.

> I can't point you toward an FTP site for Epi Info, but it is
> available in the US for US$45 (with printed manual, including
> overseas air shipment, disk-based manual extra--probably US$5) from

> USD, Incorporated
> 2075A W. Park Court
> Stone Mountain GA  30087     USA
> +1 (404)469-4098

> I wish I could provide you a UK address, but I can't, although I'm
> told that the World Health Organization has a contract with a UK
> printer to produce its own copies.

I am perfectly willing to pay the $45 but it's a lot of hassle from
this side of the Atlantic.  Can anyone point me to an archive site
which contains what sounds like a very useful piece of software?

Andrew McLean         |       Janet : PHR050@UK.AC.SOTON.IBM
Department of Physics | Earn/Bitnet : PHR050@IBM.SOTON.AC.UK
The University        |          or : PHR050%UK.AC.SOTON.IBM@UKACRL
Highfield             |    INTERNET : PHR050@IBM.SOTON.AC.UK
Southampton SO9 5NH   |        uucp : PHR050%UK.AC.SOTON.IBM@ukc.uucp
tel. 0703 593084      |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 15:18:13 EST
From: Bob Fletcher <BOBF@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: SYSID

Has SYSID been withdrawn from the archives for some reason? I was
looking to see if there was a newer version out and noticed that it
doesn't appear in any of the directories. Can the moderators elaborate
on this?

Thanks in adavance,

Bob Fletcher
BOBF@BROWNVM.BITNET
BOBF@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1991 12:22-0800
From: Vu Ngo <VU@GODZILLA.SCH.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: TSR to redirect screen output to printer

Is there a TSR in the SIMTEL library that allows me to redirect screen
output to printer (and back) with a Hot Key???  Thanks.

-- Vu Ngo (vu@godzilla.sch.symbolics.com)

[One of the following programs should do the trick.  These programs are
available from the MSDOS Archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.AMRY.MIL (and other
Archive mirror sites) using ANONYMOUS FTP login.

PD1:<MSDOS.PRINTER>
Name           Size    Date    Description
DMP203.ZIP     49555   901111  Resident print spooler, spools to disk, memory
LP.ARC         7047    870510  LP file printing utility
LPT2DSK.ARC    9216    870325  Capture LPT output to a disk file
LPTX600.ARC    31596   870319  Redirect printer output to a file
LPTX700.ARC    48801   880206  Updated LPT (redirect PRN to file) [.ASM src]
LQ15TSR.ARC    21519   880811  TSR printer controllers LQ1500/KXP1524/KXP1091
MSPOOL2.ARC    5082    871027  Print spooler handles LPT1-4 and Com
PRIND25.ZIP    17008   900420  Redirect printer to file/screen/printer on cmd
PRINDIR.ARC    6836    891210  Redirects printer output to disk file
PRINDIR6.ZIP   32061   910320  Redirect printer output to file/screen/COM/LPT
PRN2FILE.ARC   14451   871216  Redirect printer to disk (w/asm)
PRNDSK.ARC     27172   871224  Redirect Printer Output To Disk
PSTASH20.ARC   2830    890216  Redirects lpt output to file
ROD-FX.ARC     16732   881226  TSR printer setup utility for Epson FX
ROD-PR.ARC     16831   881226  TSR printer setup utility for IBM Prowriter
RPRN.ARC       2631    900120  Redirect printer output to disk file
VPRINT20.ARC   13886   880606  Redirect printer output to disk file V2.01
VPRNT301.ARC   15259   891030  Printer redirection to disk file, v3.01

Hope this helps.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 10:05:40 +0100
From: Andr'e PIRARD <PIRARD%VM1.ULG.AC.BE@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Upgrading XTs (V91 #70)

On Wed, 20 Mar 91 17:42:42 EST James Williams said:

>I have eight offbrand XTs which I am upgrading to 386 motherboards.  For

What you'll have definitely to change is the keyboard, if it's not AT
compatible. What you'll have to beware of is the power rating (low
power may plat tricks to your reliability).

HD usually works (slower than true AT indeed).  Diskettes highly depend
on the particular BIOS.  Good BIOS is often more important than good
hardware.

All but very old I/O cards usually perform well.  So, it depends on all
that and the price you may find for a motherboard.  As your
requirements sound, your best luck is probably with a 80386SX.

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 14:43:14 EST
From: kobus@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (D. Kobus)
Subject: DOS 386 Extenders

I have a 386 with extended memory and would like to run programs with
executables larger than the basic memory size of 640K. I know there are
several of the subject extenders on the market that can circumvent the
640K limit via extended memory. Does anyone have any recommendations,
suggestions, experiences, etc. concerning these extenders. I
particularly have one program with a lot of data stuck in basic memory
that I would like to run on my PC without going through the headache of
assigning overlays to the FAR_DATA.

David B. Kobus
Naval Air Development Center

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 13:37:13 GMT
From: hysell@kodak.kodak.com (John Hysell)
Subject: IBM AT warm reset

I am looking for old information I had once seen on how to add a system
reset switch to an IBM AT (model 339).  I remember seeing a dropping
resistor could be added in series with a push button across some timing
chip on the motherboard, but cannot recall the details...

Any replies will be thankfully received.
-thanks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 11:53:17 EST
From: Francis Taylor <narf@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: kanji paint program

Does anyone out there know of a paint program for the PC that:

1. Writes .pcx format files
2. has kanji fonts

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 17:10:00 GMT
From: Dr R M Damerell (RHBNC) <damerell@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: reliability

Please does anybody have advice to offer on which manufacturers produce
the most reliable machines? I am looking for an 80286 machine with no
hard disk or other extras, to run a dedicated application for several
months at a stretch; restart from floppy disk after power failure.

Sorry if this Q is frequently asked, I am not on this list. I will pass
replies on unless asked not to. Thank you, Mark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 09:39:14 -0500
From: David L Caldwell <caldwell@brahms.udel.edu>
Subject: Toolbook + C

I need to speed up a ToolBook application (dosen't everyone :-) ).  How
feasable is it to add C program routines to a ToolBook application?
Has anyone done this before?  If so what C products did you use?  Are
there any good books that cover interfacing C and ToolBook (the
ToolBook manuals are WORTHLESS for this).  Any examples, ideas, or
comments would be very welcome.

  Thank you  --Dave

Dave Caldwell
Information Center, Uiversity of Delaware
caldwell@brahms.udel.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #72
-------