Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/03/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 31 Mar 91       Volume 91 : Issue  73

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                    My *.tar.Z experiences (V91 #59)
      Re: Importing DOS text files into Word Perfect 5.1 (V91 #63)
                         Russian Word Processor
                      turning off the numlock key
                 Re: Disabling an Internal DOS Command

Today's Queries:
                         Memory Board Settings
              Creating an image of a floppy in a disk file
           is there a 'nroff' clone that accepts 'ms macros'?
                              qemm and NEC
                         Serial Port Joystick?
                         Trapping Dos Functions
                          TXT2COM Info Wanted

New Upload:
     CEQPT32E.ZIP - Database for equipment service/usage histories

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 21 Mar 91 23:59:57 GMT
From: Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: My *.tar.Z experiences (V91 #59)

Jos van der Woude writes:
>Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 13:45:34 MET
>From: "Jos van der Woude" <JVDWOUDE%HUT.NL@uga.cc.uga.edu>

>Then I took an hour to discover that unix files use ^J as an line
>separator, while ms-dos insists on a ^M.  The thing is, I knew this,
>but didn't realize the very misterious compiler errors were due to this
>effect.

>So, beware of the ^J when copying files from an unix system folks!

In addition to the CRLF programs available to correct this, I have
found what is a really good solution for me.  I load the file with the
^Js into Qedit, make a small change (like deleting a single character)
and save it again.  Voila!  All newlines are now ^Ms.

The only problem is that I can't get Qedit to edit files bigger than
the available amount of memory.  Alas.

I hope this helps someone -- I found it to be a good solution.

Shaun.

Shaun Case:  shaunc@gold.gvg.tek.com  or  atman%ecst.csuchico.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
 or Shaun Case of 1:119/666.0 (Fidonet)  or  1@9651 (WWIVnet)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 14:45:23 EST
From: TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: Re: Importing DOS text files into Word Perfect 5.1 (V91 #63)

Yes, there is a way to remove Hard Returns...when you import the file
into WP5.1, an option is to convert Hard Returns to Soft Returns.
Here's the sequence:

Ctrl-F5 (DOS text)
1 (Retrieve DOS text)
3 (Convert HRt to SRt)

| Timothy Buck                                     |               |
|      timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (preferred)         | Virginia Tech |
|  OR  jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu                          | Blacksburg,VA |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 09:01:18 IST
From: AER0201%TECHNION@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL
Subject: Russian Word Processor

Geoff Husic asked how to print Cyrillic Characters.

There is an excelent Scientific Word Processor, that among other things
can be used as multilingual. They have Cyrillic fonts and it is very
easy to use. I was amazed to see at the Academy of Sci. in Moscow and
Leningrad that 5 out of 6 WP's I thumbled on were CHI-WRITER. I also
saw this WP in three polish movies and was told that this is the
standard WP used in poland. I use this WP in my office for scientific
typing and lately also for french roumanian and russian correspondence.
Unfortunately I cannot get the russian fonts for laser printer and I
have to use them on 9 pin printers. It accepts ASCII files.

      Chiwriter is sold only by its producer:
      HORSTMANN SOFTWARE DESIGN CORP.
      P.O.Box 1807 San-Jose CA 95109 Tel (408) 298-0828 FAX (408) 298-6157

I have no commercial or other connections with this firm, except for
being a satisfied customer.

Prof. Alex Burcat Aerospace Engineering Technion- Haifa, Israel.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Mar 91 21:37:37 GMT
From: Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: turning off the numlock key

Regarding turning off the numlock key upon bootup:  try this.  (It
comes from comp.os.msdos.programmer, and works perfectly on my Everex
Step 386/20.)

// Shaun //

Date: 8 Mar 91 16:34:24 GMT
From: sguerke@brahms.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke)
Subject: Re: Disabling an Internal DOS Command

You can create a small file called NUMOFF.COM by using an ASCII editor
(even EDLIN :)) and typing the following DEBUG script:

(Line numbers included for reference)

1: a 100
2: mov ax,40
3: mov ds,ax
4: mov ah,0
5: mov bx,0017
6: mov [bx],ah
7: int 20
8:
9: r cx
10:e
11:n numoff.com
12:w
13:q

carefully proofread the above file (being sure that line 8 is blank and
that line 13 is q) and save it as NUMOFF.SCR .

To create NUMOFF.COM , at the prompt (be sure that the directory
containing DEBUG.COM in in your PATH) type the following command:

		C> debug < numoff.scr

This should (it did for me when I used it :)) create a little program
named NUMOFF.COM.  Put it in your autoexec.bat file and it will turn
off the Number Lock key and its light.

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 91 18:27 EST
From: FCUBBAGE%TMPLCIS.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Memory Board Settings

I have a 16 bit IBM PC memory board called a RAM Parity Card with no
documentation. It contains 2Meg of 256K X4 memory chips.  The board has
a part number of 6480183 on it and is dated March 17, 1987. I am
currently using it on an AT clone with 1Meg of RAM installed.

As currently configured, the board's address area starts at the 1Meg
boundary. It coexists with the system's extended memory which is also
occupying the first 384K of this address space. (By coexist I mean that
the IBM board evidently overpowers the system's 384K so that the total
RAM the system sees is 640K ((conventional))+ 2048K((extended memory
board))= 2688K ((total memory available.))) I would like to move this
memory board from my AT clone into a 386 system which has 4Meg of RAM.
I have been unable to figure out how to set the 8 position DIP switch
on the board to re-address the board to the 4 Meg boundary. Currently
switch #4 is the only one set in the OFF position. If I change the
setting of any switch from #1 thru #5, the system refuses to recognize
the added memory. Switches 6,7,&8 appear to not be used. This is a
multilayer board and is extremely difficult to trace the copper runs.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me what the various switch
settings do or how to re-address the board.

Thank You,
Frank Cubbage
FCubbage@TMPLCIS
FCUBBAGE@Grad.CIS.TEMPLE.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 1991-03-22 11:44:21
From: "Andreas Tranquillini" <C102TA%AINUNI01.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Creating an image of a floppy in a disk file

We need to duplicate a number of DOS floppies (Campus licensed piece of
software) several hundred times. PKZIP-ing the files from the
distribution disks does not work in our case, so we need to DISKCOPY
them. This requires lots of disk swapping and is slow.

We would need a solution where a one-to-one image of a floppy can be
created in a hard-disk file, from where it can be copied to the new
floppy disks. The result should be that a DISKCOMP between the original
disk and a floppy recreated from the hard-disk file yields that the
floppies are identical.

Sure we are not the first to run into this kind of problem! Does anyone
out there know about a solution?

                              Andreas Tranquillini
                              University of Innsbruck
                              C102TA@AINUNI01.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 11:49:14 +0000
From: Paulo V Rocha <P.Rocha@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: is there a 'nroff' clone that accepts 'ms macros'?

Is there a clone of the Unix 'nroff' that accepts 'ms' macros. I've
tried 'nroff1' and other roffs but to be able to process my files I
will need to hack the macros or write them again.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks,

Paulo.

Paulo Valverde de L. P. Rocha |   JANET:procha@uk.ac.ucl.cs
Department of Computer Science|  BITNET:procha%uk.ac.ucl.cs@UKACRL
University College London     |Internet:procha%cs.ucl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Gower Street                  | ARPANet:procha@cs.ucl.ac.uk
London WC1E 6BT               |    UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!ucl-cs!procha
England                       |     tel: +44 (071) 387 7050 x 3719

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1991 08:16:10 EST
From: garber@aru.dom.uab.edu
Subject: qemm and NEC

We have recently acquired an NEC PowerMate SX Plus computer (16 MHz 386
SX with 2 Mb on the motherboard, 2 Mb on an Intel Above Board, Dos 3.3,
and a 3c503 3Com Ethernet card with DEC Pathworks).

The memory on the AboveBoard passes all diagnostics, and everything
else seems to work properly except that I can't run QEMM386 on it.
When I put device=qemm386.sys in the config.sys, the machine boots up
until it hits the qemm line, then just re-boots.  This would go on
forever if I let it.  I've excluded the buffer area for the 3Com card,
and I've also tried to run qemm without the ram and rom switches.

Is there something else I need to exclude?  Is there something peculiar
about the NEC that sabotages qemm?

David W. Garber (garber@aru.dom.uab.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 23 Mar 91 00:27:41 GMT
From: motcid!robinson@uunet.UU.NET  (Steve Robinson)
Subject: Serial Port Joystick?

I have recently purchased a Data General laptop computer.  I have a
game that is best played with a joystick.  There is only one problem.
The laptop does not have a game port and the expansion slots are
proprietary (or at least not standard slots) so an off-the-shelf game
port can not be added.

Does anyone know of a joystick that works off of a normal serial port?
Obviously there would also have to be driver software also.  Assuming
that a serial joystick exists, would it work with my game or would
there be interface problems?

Can anyone tell me anything about the expansion slots on the Data
General Walk-About 386SX laptop?  Any and all information would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven M. Robinson ( uunet!motcid!robinson )

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 13:30:51 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Trapping Dos Functions

I am familiar with the procedure for trapping Bios Interrupts,
especially via Turbo C.  I would like to know how to trap a Dos
Function.  That is, I want to perform one of the subfunctions of INT
21.

It appears to me that Microsoft has placed a logical barrier to prevent
this from being done.  The simplest approach is to trap INT 21 and pass
anything else to Dos.  They prevent this from working by providing the
address to INT 21 in the PSP, allowing them to change it after you have
patched the INT vector.

I tried to find a simple table that I could patch to change the address
of that particular function, but it appears that Dos has many
special-cased branches at its entry point (gag).  Also, the particular
instruction at the entry point appears to be designed to make it
difficult to change the first instruction into a jump to your routine.

I must either be taking an entirely wrong approach, or have discovered
a major nightmare.  Can anyone suggest how this can be done?  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp            #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
# abs (investment#1 - investment#2) << abs (anyinvestment - anydebt)    #

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 15:54:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas W. Pope" <tp1l+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: TXT2COM Info Wanted

   I recently heard of a utility that will take an ordinary ASCII file
and compile it into a .com file...  Does anyone know where I could get
my hands on this???  I've tried many ftp sites but have had no luck...
So, if someone has it, could they mail it to me, or tell me where they
got it???

    thanks in advance
      -Thomas Pope

------------------------------

Subject: New Upload:
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1991 10:09 +1000
From: "PETER SUMMERS" <U5533129%ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au@nosc.mil>
Subject: CEQPT32E.ZIP - Database for equipment service/usage histories

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
CEQPT32E.ZIP    Database for equipment service/usage histories

Peter Summers
U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #73
-------