Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/05/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  1 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue  75

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            Bad FAT and NDD
                             Disable Ctrl-C
                            Game port access
                                  HELP
                    Hard Carriage Returns (V91 #63)
              HELP ON HARD DISK LOW LEVEL FORMAT (V91 #63)
                        memory managers (4 msgs)

Today's Queries:
                            Bad FAT and NDD
                  Emulating disk drive of Unix machine
                   One line for voice, fax and modem?
                     Postscript Previewer for a PC

New Uploads:
     ALCHMY14.ZIP - Targa/EPS/GIF/IFF/PICT/PCX/Sun/TIFF/BMP convrt
          INTER291.ZIP - comprehensive list of interrupt calls

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 11:05:00 IST
From: CETEK63%TECHNION.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Bad FAT and NDD

Sounds like you've been hit by the "4096" virus.  Also known as "the
stealth" or "100 years" . Check for the time signature of your files,
if it says 2091 then this is it...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 07:27 IST
From: Moshe SOlow <CUCMS%HUJIVM1@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Disable Ctrl-C

Am I missing something??  All this interesting talk about disabling
control C or via debug preforming surgery on the command.com is great
unless I come along and boot with my diskette.

M. Solow
cucms@hujivm1

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 91 10:36:53 -0500
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil>
Subject: Game port access

Ref your request in Info-IBMPC #048 (back in February):

>  I need to access the game port on a PC compatible from Turbo Pascal.
>Certainly somebody out there has written a game in pascal that uses a
>joystick!

Sorry this took so long, but your request got lost in the heap!

I'm (1) EMailing you separately a nice joystick package from a buddy of
mine (hope you can handle uuencoded files), and (2) uploading the same
file to SIMTEL20 (should've done that long ago).

Regrets if you've reinvented the wheel in the interim.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 10:00:30 +0100
From: bax@tudgw2.tudelft.nl (Jan Adriaan Bax)
Subject: Hard Carriage Returns (V91 #63)

>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 11:57:22 EST
>From: dprice@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dennis M. Price)

>I have a question:  I frequently capture or download text files over a
>modem which I would like to incorporate for various reasons into
>WordPerfect 5.1.  Is there any way to strip off the Hard Carraige
>Returns from the DOS text file so that WordPerfect can format the
>document properly??

You can also use the text in/out facility to incorporate DOS documents
into your WP document. As far as I recall, text in/out is started with
Ctrl-F5. You can choose if you want all CRLFs to be converted into hard
returns or only when they are outside the hyphenation zone.

My advise is, to seperate paragraphs with an empty line, convert all
CRLFs to hard returns and then change all single occurences of hard
returns to spaces (WP takes care of the soft returns) and all double
occurences of HRt-s to single.

There are also programs that strip the CR from CRLF combinations (WP
uses internally the CR (ascii 13) for a hard return and LF (ascii 10)
for a soft return). Those programs are used for conversions from DOS
text files to unix text files. From Trickle/Simtel20:

<msdos.txtutl>crlf.arc        convert files between unix and ms-dos
<msdos.txtutl>dos2unix.arc    msdos<->unix newline conversion pgm, w/c src
<msdos.txtutl>flip1exe.arc    convert text files msdos<->unix format, 1of2
<msdos.txtutl>flip1src.arc    convert text files msdos<->unix format, 2of2
<msdos.txtutl>toadcr11.arc    unix <> dos text file eol converter w/asm src

Arjen.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 10:12:54 +0100
From: bax@tudgw2.tudelft.nl (Jan Adriaan Bax)
Subject: HELP ON HARD DISK LOW LEVEL FORMAT (V91 #63)

>Date: 13 Mar 91 18:53 +0100
>From: Evaristo <EVARISTO@FIB.UPC.es>

  We decided to buy a NEC D-5662 (320 Mb), that use an ESDI interface
(the same that the COMPAQ has). What's the problem? We cannot low level
format it, and the COMPAQ Manual (the only one we received with the
machine) doesn't give any help.

I don't know if this is of some help:

To low level format the ESDI hard drive of our IBM PS/2 we must boot
from the reference diskette and from the menu that appears we must
press Ctrl-A. A new menu appears, including the choice of low level
formatting the ESDI drive.  There's also a warning that a low level
format may take up to 6 hours, depending on the size of the disk. (When
I ll-formatted our 120 MB hd, I started it up late in the afternoon,
just before I left and it was ready when I returned 15 hours later...
;-)).

Arjen.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 91 15:56:00 CST
From: "Ronald Hahm @ University of Northern Iowa"
Subject: memory managers

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 91 10:45:00 EST
From: Tom Rusk Vickery <TVICKERY%SUNRISE.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.EDU> ASKS about

>        a. Does DOS 4.01 include a memory manager?  As with virtually
>                every MS-DOS manual I have ever seen, the one that
>                came with the computer [Hyundai] is clear only to
>                those who already knew the answer to the questions.
>                Which is to say that I cannot tell from the manual.

        DOS 4.01 has file called HIMEM.SYS.  This is a device driver
that is installed in your CONFIG.SYS file.  There is also another
device driver called, EMM386.SYS.  This allows you to change the
extended memory of your computer to expanded memory.  I am curious how
much of your conventional memory is devoted to TSR's and what programs
does your computer bomb out on.

>        b. If I get Windows 3.0, will that enable me to solve the
>                problem, or will I still need a memory manager?

        Windows is not a memory manager, so buying for that purpose
will not serve your needs.  Windows is an environment that allows you
to multitask Windows based and DOS based programs.  But bundled with
Windows 3 is a better version of HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS.  If you have
problems with HIMEM.SYS that is bundled with 4.01 then I would go find
a third party memory manager.

Ronald Hahm                            Internet: HAHM5247@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU |
Graduate Assistant
College of Business Administration
University of Northern Iowa            BBS InterLink: RONALD HAHM
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613                USWest: 319-273-3822

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 11:41:00 N
From: "Peter Schmitt, Inst.of Mathematics, Univ.of Vienna,

I want to report an experience I made yesterday - it may be a warning
and it may cause some interesting remarks:

1. It began when my PC rejected to boot from the disk I usually use to
log on to our network: no error message - it just froze

2. I looked at the disk (with NC) - seemingly all was in order.

3. I discovered that that NC-View showed the garbage after the end of
the files, too

4. CHKDSK gave several screens full of messages - too quickly to read.
The 2nd run just reported a damaged FAT no. 1.

5. NDD reported a physical error in FAT (Warning: Back Up often) and
offered to correct the error: o.k: Yes

6. NDD message: Fixing the FAT. But it seems to freeze when checking
the directory structure.

7. I break and restart NDD: FAT has physical error - fix it? - yes -
Fixing! - the Fixing-Message flashes up several time, but a re-run
still reports the error.

8. NU demands to be started in maintainance mode and then shows empty
FAT's and an empty root directory!

9. making a copy of the disk and retrieving the few small files
containing new information (I used this disk only for logging) was not
difficult with NU (just a little time-consuming), and making a new disk
from the program backup was easy, too.

So: no damage was done!

But I learned: use a copy to try disk recovery - surprising things may
happen (why has the root directory vanished? probably NDD "fixed" the
problem by deleting this information !?)

And: what use is the  2nd copy of FAT when it is not used by DOS if the
first copy is damaged?

Any comments ?  Peter

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 91 20:47:53 CST
From: Raul V Ramirez Velarde <PA251678%TECMTYVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Emulating disk drive of Unix machine

Hello, I'm connected with to two Unix machines through a token ring.
Since my hardisk is  always at it's fullest I back up programs I don't
use often to any of the vaxes. I use ftp, so I write a batch script to
automate the process. The question is, is there out there any software
that can emulate a dos drive from a Unix machine, so the process of
trans- fering files would be transparent?

Thanx in advance

Raul V Ramirez Velarde
pa251678@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx
pa251678@tecmtyvm.bitnet
pa251678@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 91 23:27:03 -0500
From: Jun Guo <jguo%CS.NYU.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu>

Hi,

   Since I don't use MS-Windows, so I'm always not sure of the
following question: If I multitask DOS applications on Windows, it's
said Windows will create a virtual DOS machine with 1MB for each DOS
application. Then can the application use more than 640KB on the
virtual machine or still limited by 640KB? If still only 640KB, is the
rest 384KB wasted?

   Thanks.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 91 20:13:38 -0500
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: One line for voice, fax and modem?

Hi,

   I read that Switch Model A5 can seperate incoming calls. Does it
pick up one the first ring and route it to the right destination? (How
can it route it to an answering machine if it detects that it's a voice
call? Since the answering machine needs additional rings to work.)

   I have seen some program to detect the number of rings and use some
code to route it to the correct one. (Say ring twice and hang up and
then dial again, then it will be routed to a modem.) But this can only
used by myself.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 13:46:20 SET
From: "Michael Tielemann" <MTI@IBM.COM>
Subject: Postscript Previewer for a PC

Dear all,

does anybody know somthing about a postscript previewer running on a pc
(public domain or commercial) ?  I am using TeX and several drawing
packages which generate postscript output and it would be very nice to
see the stuff on my screen before printing instead of wasting a lot of
paper for the final draft.

-Michael Tielemann          ( MTI @ IBM.COM )

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 04:19:02 EST
From: "Allan N. Hessenflow" <allanh%netcom.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: ALCHMY14.ZIP - Targa/EPS/GIF/IFF/PICT/PCX/Sun/TIFF/BMP convrt

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.graphics>
ALCHMY14.ZIP    Targa/EPS/GIF/IFF/PICT/PCX/Sun/TIFF/BMP convrt

This is an update to alchmy13.zip.  Image Alchemy does JPEG compression
and converts images between the following formats:  Targa, EPS, GIF,
IFF/ILBM, PBM, PICT, SGI, PCX, Sun Raster, TIFF, and BMP.  It also does
colour quantization/dithering, palette matching, and nearest-neighbor
type scaling.

Allan N. Hessenflow   {apple|claris}!netcom!allanh    allanh@netcom.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 91 14:37:25 EST
From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: INTER291.ZIP - comprehensive list of interrupt calls

I have uploaded the newest release of the interrupt list to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.info>
INTER291.ZIP	comprehensive list of interrupt calls

This replaces INTER191.ZIP already in the archives.

	Ralf
        Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #75
-------