Date: 25 Mar 91 21:54:29 GMT
From: sahtirn@ipla01.hac.com (Walter Alden Tackett)
Subject: ANN's & Image Proc on a 486...

PC hardware has finally come of age enuf that i can buy a machine which
costs less than a car which will have throughput competitive with a
(shared) supermini.  So i'm gonna junk the old xt and buy a 25 MHz 486
machine loaded w/memory etc.  I intend to run Windows, if it doesn't
limit me in some way.  I intend to do image processing on 8-bit imagery
using Neural Net algorithms (i.e., lots 'o' flops - correlations, array
operations, statistical analysis) and i will need the CPU throughput
and 256-grey-level display capability to support it.

Since i have been out of touch with the PC world, i would like to
solicit some advice:

* I would like to get a Weitek coprocessor, but i would also like to
stay with Turbo C++ (i understand 2.0 does windows - any bugs?).  Can
the new Tc++ gen- erate Weitek code or is there some other compiler
compatible w/ Tc++ with which i can build a linkable library?

* I need to display 8-bit (256-level) grey scale with a minimum of
512x640 resolution (and square pixels!).  I have been told that there
is an enhanced VGA mode which supports this.  Which compilers and
graphics cards are able to work in this mode, if any?  I would like to
stay as "mainstream" as possible, e.g. paradise card, turbo c.

* I will eventually need to build a user interface and would prefer to
make it portable.  Thus i'd like to hear reccommendations/experiences
concerning X-windows packages running under MS windows.  Any comments
on mouse support would also be helpful.

I think that there must be other NN/IP researchers like myself who
would find this info valuable.  Please respond to this by e-mail and i
will summarize on the appropriate topics.  this is especially important
since i will be posting this to several PC HW, PC SW, and ANN topics
and might miss your response if you just posted it.  I will credit all

Thank you all in advance!

Walter Alden Tackett
tackett@ipla01.hac.com
sahtirn@ipla01.hac.com

------------------------------

Date: 26 Mar 91 02:23:48 GMT
From: gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt)
Subject: DMA & OS/2

In reference to what machines OS/2 can and can't run on.

I am running OS/2 on a 10 MHz AT clone, running 0 wait states to on
board memory, and selectable 1, 2, 3 for expansion slot memory.  I
bought an Everex RAM10000 when I was considering OS/2, but ran it using
VDISK for a while, with 2MB on it, at 1 wait state, and didn't notice
any problems.

Then I got a copy of OS/2 1.0 (it was given to me free, so why would I
complain).  It would not boot.  It would get a GP fault during boot of
the floppy disk.  I thought about it for a while, tried it on a real AT
(it worked) and started going through the boot program using debug.
What I also noticed, but didn't yet understand, the address that it
would fault at was not always the same.

To make things faster, I wrote some debug output to my large virtual
disk.  At some point, I used FC to compare two files that were supposed
to be indentical.  It found differences.  The differences were not
always in the same place.

The RAM10000 board had passed its memory test program a number of
times.  No parity errors or anything.

But in these machines, the parity is checked on board.  THere is no
parity check on the bus.  If a board can't respond within the given
number of wait states, garbage is returned.  I believe this is a but in
the PC bus standard, but thats another problem.

Anyway, set the machine to 2 wait states, OS/2 boots, and everything is
fine.

Why the RAM10000 will not run at one wait state, I do not know.  Everex
didn't know either.  (The system board is also everex, so I thought
they should.  They also claim that the RAM10000 will run with no
additional wait states.  It would not run at 1 wait state at 8MHz.)

Well, If this helps anyone get OS/2 running, then I am glad.  If anyone
knows how to make RAM10000's run at 10MHz, I would like to know.

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 91 16:23:42 MST
From: Gary Dobbins <GARY@euphrates.ccit.arizona.edu>
Subject: Where is Hard Disk Info Stored in CMOS (V91 #67)

> Date: Mon, 18 Mar 91 11:28:39 EXP
> From: Kim Jin Soo <WATER4%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

> In AMI Bios, When We setup the User HDD type, where goes this info?
> First, I thought this info. might go into  CMOS Ram. But I couldn't
> find that there.

The interrupt vector 41h, stored at 0000:0104, holds a DWORD pointer to
the current table of BIOS params for drive 0.  BIOS sets that pointer
to the Nth entry in a table at startup, N being the CMOS drive type
number.

 /  Gary L. Dobbins                              dobbins@ccit.arizona.edu \
(               ". . . probably, but maybe not."             (602)621-6715 )

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:45:54 +0100
From: bax@tudgw2.tudelft.nl (Jan Adriaan Bax)
Subject: Re: Numlock Key (V91 #67)

Martin Timann writes:

>This produces a file called numoff.com. Put the following line in your
>autoexec.bat file:

>                [drive:][path\] numoff

>and the Numlock Key will be switched off automatically everytime your
>booting.

The little program that he provides does the trick on AT machines, but
on my good old XT the numlock-key and the numlock-light go
"out-of-sync": the light is still burning while the function of the
numlock-key is switched off. Does somebody know how to turn off the LED
also?

Arjen.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 20:25:00 CST
From: "Ronald Hahm" <HAHM5247@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU>
Subject: memory managers

CANTRELL%VUCTRVAX.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.EDU on  Mon, 25 Mar 91 08:23:00 CST
asks:

> Are you sure that Windows does multitasking?  I was under the impression
> that Windows allowed for context switching.

Windows will multitask.  Given that one has enough memory and at least
a 386 machine.  I have been able to download files using a comm program
while working on a word processing program.  Granted multitasking seems
to work better with Windows based applications rather than DOS based
programs.

| Ronald Hahm                            Internet: HAHM5247@ISCSVAX.UNI.EDU |
| Graduate Assistant                                                        |
| College of Business Administration                                        |
| University of Northern Iowa            BBS InterLink: RONALD HAHM         |
| Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613                USWest: 319-273-3822               |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 19:27:12 GMT
From: Bob Eager <rde@ukc.ac.uk>
Subject: reading 41st track of 360K floppies

The one thing that previous replies have not mentioned is the track
limit programmed into the floppy disk controller. There is a disk
parameter table pointed to by the INT 1EH vector; that table contains a
track limit (39, 40?) which needs to be altered. After you've done
that, issue the BIOS INT 13H call to reset the controller, so that it
re-reads the parameters.

If you don't do this, the controller will reject all requests for
tracks/sectors out of the range set in the original table.

Bob Eager
University of Kent, UK

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 14:04:04 EST
From: snoopy@charlot.pg.bull.fr (Francesco Iarlori)
Subject: Downloading Files from the WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL Archives

/PDDIR PD:<MSDOS.TURBOPAS>*.* 9999
/PDDIR PD:<MSDOS.UUCP>*.* 9999
/PDDIR PD:<MSDOS.BATUTL>*.* 999
/PDDIR PD:<MSDOS.BBS>*.* 9999
/PDDIR PD:<MSDOS.WINDOWS3>*.* 9999

[Although these are the right commands to issue, you've sent them to
the wrong place.  These commands should be sent, in your case, to
LISTSERV@FRMOP11.  A similar set of commands would be sent to
LISTSERV@RPIECS for those of us in the U.S.

In order to get all the options, you'll need to send a HELP message
to the TRICKLE nearest you.  At the present, the following are the
TRICKLE servers:

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 and DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), FRMOP11 (France),
HEARN (Netherlands), IMIPOLI (Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN
(Turkey).

Hope this helps.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 14:08 MET
From: "Jim Groeneveld" <JIM%RULTNO@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Request for Info on Accessing SIMTEL20 software.

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 12:52:32 EST
From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM.BITNET>
Subject: PC Server

Hi! Would you know if there is a listserve (Bitnet) where it is
possible to downlaod PC-MS-DOS freewares or softwares. Thanks a lot for
your assistance.  Jean.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 16:33 N
From: <IUL%DACTH51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: addition of math coprocessor 8087 to a v30 based xt-laptop

I am working with an EPSON EQUITY II, a V30 based XT-compatible laptop.
There is no socket for a 8087 math coprocessor on its motherboard.
Nevertheless i would like to add one.

Question :  can anybody encourage / disencourage me, give hints,
provide information about the possible wiring schemes, talk about
personal experiences in the field ?

Many thanks in advance, Matthias Drobnitzky

Dept. of Radiology
MR/Physics Section
Klinikum der RWTH
D-5100 Aachen, Germany

<iul@dacth51.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:38:32 CST
From: CA6708@SIUCVMB (Clinton Smith)
Subject: DBASE,WINDOWS,AND PICTURES

Quite honestly, i am not sure who is going to end up reading this note,
but I'm only interested in finding a programmer or software program that
is able to combine a dbase database with pictures (as of yet unknown
graphic format) to be displayed in a Windows(3.0) enviroment.  This is
for a presentation, so that a particular picture will be displayed
with the data from a DBASE record.  The program should be able to run
under Windows.

THANX, CLINTON.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 16:17:38 +0100
From: GUILLOU%FRGREN81.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Help about INT 10H , Funct 11H subFunc 00

Can somebody explain how to use the text-mode character generator
functions?  or give a pointer to some full doc, some source code.

I know i've to use INT 10H, function 11H , subfunction 0 But I don't
understand how you can load ES:BP (Isn't BP relative to SS?) What is
the count of patterns to load?  What is the character offset?  What is
the map 2 block?

(Sorry Ralf Brown but how much well done your interrupt list is it
can't make for my lack of know-how)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 09:16:43 JST
From: mike@ai.mew.mei.co.jp (R. Michael Taylor)
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #64

How do I get a question posted to this group? [You send the message to
Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.  Then, if the query is clearly
written, including background, equipment, software desired/on-hand, et
al, it get posted to the group.  gph]

I need to know if there are any really fast run-like-blazes math
packages available for 286 machines.  Thanks for any info.

Mike Taylor

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 17:38 MST
From: <BARTANA@CUBLDR.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #67

   I am trying to use an 80387 EMULATOR,(which enables me to run
programs using the 87 without really having one) under Windows, without
success. When I try to run it under Windows, I get the message "This
program has violated system integrity and was terminated. Close all
applications and reboot the system".

The emulator, which is a TSR, runs
fine under DOS and other file managers. I tried loading it before
Windows, but then programs like MATLAB did not recognize it. Trying to
load it under Windows gives the above message. On the other hand,
Windows applications, like EXCEL for Windows report *80387 PRESENT*.
Any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 91 18:15:03 GMT
From: motcid!yeates@uunet.UU.NET  (Tony J Yeates)
Subject: Memory Hype ? (V91 #48)

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>The answer lies in the little `b' of `Mb'; `b' => `bytes'.  Ergo, in
>your terms, `4 MEG of 8 bit memory'; 1 byte = 8 bits.

What abbreviation is commonly used for Mbits (if any)?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 10:58 EST
From: BAUGHMANKR@CONRAD.APPSTATE.EDU
Subject: Mirror Sites

What are the internet addresses for the Simtel-20 mirror sites?

Thanks,

Kinney
baughmankr@conrad.appstate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 17:30:23 +0200
From: KDBG100%bgunve.bgu.ac.il@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL
Subject: port redirection

This is not really about copy protection, tho' it sure looks like it.
Read on!  I have two programs that require for running that a plug be
plugged in the printer port. With the printer itself, that makes a
daisychain of three elements.

Considering that (distance (computer-wall))<Sigma(3 elements) I am
looking for a way to convince either the security check or the real
printout stream to go to another parallel port (I have two) I could not
work it out with lptx.

Any clues?
David Leiser

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 18:55 CST
From: Dave Ulrick
Subject: Running Extra! and PC/TCP under DESQview

I seem to be experiencing problems with running both Attachmate Extra!
v1.41 and FTP Software PC/TCP under DESQview/386 v2.26.

I had previously run Extra! and ProComm Plus under DESQview without any
major problems.  However, on occasion when I'm doing an FTP in my
PC/TCP window it seems to "hang" up.  I still have control of my PC
(i.e., I can still invoke the DESQview menu and switch to other
applications), but the file transfer just stops.

I would be interested in seeing what kind of settings you have put in
your DVP files for Extra! and PC/TCP (whether or not you're running
both).  I am currently giving 9 ticks to the foreground task and 3
ticks to the background task.  I am willing to tinker with this, but
I'd be interested in hearing about any values that you have found to be
effective.

By the way, I'm (reluctantly) loading all of my Ethernet, LAN, and
TCP/IP drivers before I enter DESQview-- loading any or all of them
within DESQview seems to be a sure way to provoke a crash.  I'm kind of
on the "bleeding edge" here as farr as DESQview is concerned, so I'd
appreciate any hints you can offer.  Thanks!

Dave

Dave Ulrick                        Bitnet:    A01DGU1@NIU   (MVS/XA)
Northern Illinois University                  A01DGU1@NIUCS (VM/SP)
DeKalb, IL, USA                    Internet:  a01dgu1@vm.niu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 11:46:52-020
From: maislos%bengus@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (maislos ariel)

	I own a Hertz/20 computer 386/20Mhz with Pheonix BIOS,
and would like to know how to read the BIOS's CMOS setup,
it's address and the meaning of each byte.

		Ariel G. Maislos
		CS-dep BGU Israel

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #77
-------