Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/09/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Mon,  8 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue  88

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                         Detecting Directories
                              GIF Readers
    Creating an image of a floppy in a disk file (V91 #73) (2 msgs)
         Re: is there a 'nroff' clone that accepts 'ms macros'
               SRVREQ-L Server-Requestor Discussion List

Today's Queries:
                           486/AMIGA Quandry
                            EMS in VGA ram?
                  Help on user's defined fonts needed
                      High memory problems EMM386
         Connecting a 5.25 inch external disk to PS/2 w/DOS 4.0
                 Looking for Otrona Attache boot files
           Need UUDECODE for VAX/VMS 5.x; detar<-> unz also?
           Problem with OS/2 remote IPL on IBM PS model 55 SX
                       Request for PC information
           Simulating CGA on a Monochrome monitor (Hercules)
                            VDT legislation

New Upload:
        Telix v3.15 communications program uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 3  Apr 91 15:15
From: Martin.Timann%cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Detecting Directories

Raul V Ramirez Velarde asked:

>Hello, how can I detect the presence of a specific directory from dos?

Try the PD Utility BATCHMAN by Michael J. Mefford. It's a powerfull
tool to execute those tiresome checks in batchfiles whether a specific
drive or directory exists giving results by using the technique of
setting errorlevel.  For example you can say in a batchfile

                    batchman direxist garbage
                    if errorlevel 1 del garbage\*.*

Moreover there are much more features like making a screen print during
execution of a batchfile or setting your num-, scroll-, and capslock
keys in batchfiles to your favourite state or determining the romdate,
expanded and extended memory and all this useful information of your
machine you everytime need. And all these functions are combined in one
program batchman.com, which uses less diskspace as if you write
seperate programs for all this stuff. You can find batchman on SIMTEL20
in PD1:<MSDOS.PCMAG>VOL9N02.ARC

Martin Timann

Timann@cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.dbp.de
Timann@cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.de

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 17:59 CST
From: <SC05212%SWTEXAS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: GIF Readers..

Hi Guys!!

   I'm a Mac user who is having a problem..

I am trying to convert some GIF files but the GIF Reader I have
is rejecting SOME, but not all, of the files! I think that there
are some subtle
differences between Mac and IBM Readers.  I'd Like to Try and write a C
Program to bridge these gaps.

Does anyone know of a good GIF Reader
Alogrithm I can get [I am willing to work from the design
specs.. But I would like to see an IBM Algorithm.. and maybe some
code.. just to make it easier on me.]

                                        Oh well.. Thanks for your help!
                                        Sean Chitwood,
                                        SC05212@swtexas.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1991 Apr 3   11:22 EST
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV@CFAAMP.BITNET>
Subject: Creating an image of a floppy in a disk file (V91 #73)

>We need to duplicate a number of DOS floppies (Campus licensed piece of
>software) several hundred times.

Try COPYQ225.ZIP by Sydex, available at Simtel20 in the msdos.dskutl
directory.  It will record a disk image and play it back multiple
times, formatting the target disk if necessary.  It detects disk swaps,
so you just insert the next target disk and it starts writing.
Registration fee is $15 ($50 commercial/site license).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 10:29:07 PST
From: Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

>We need to duplicate a number of DOS floppies (Campus licensed piece of
>software) several hundred times. PKZIP-ing the files from the
>distribution disks does not work in our case, so we need to DISKCOPY
>them. This requires lots of disk swapping and is slow.

>We would need a solution where a one-to-one image of a floppy can be
>created in a hard-disk file, from where it can be copied to the new
>floppy disks. The result should be that a DISKCOMP between the original
>disk and a floppy recreated from the hard-disk file yields that the
>floppies are identical.

>Sure we are not the first to run into this kind of problem! Does anyone
>out there know about a solution?

I hestitated to post this, for fear of being flamed, but since we are
all mature, adult-like people, I'll risk it.  :-)

No, you are not the first to run into this kind of problem.  There is
one other group:  modem using pirates.  Someone somewhere developed a

program called Teledisk that works with Copy II PC to make a binary
image of a disk (usually a bootable with some kind of copy protection,
I guess.)  The image could be PKZIPped and transfered around easily,
and un-teledisked back onto a floppy of the same size.

Personally, I've never used the program, but I think it's probably a
usable solution to your problem.  If you can't find it anywhere, send
me email; I think I can track it down for you.  I don't know what the
legal status of this program is, since it makes use of Copy II PC and
is intended for naughtiness.

Another possible solution is a program that was just posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  It is called qc42.zoo, and is a disk cache.  It
has one special bonus, though -- it caches disk writes, as well as
reads.  I've never used this one either, so I don't know if it caches
file writes or head/track/sector writes.

A final solution is to buy a commercial disk duplicator.  These allow
you to put a pile of blank unformatted disks in a hopper, and can
produce copies unattended.  This may be pricey, but if you intended to
do massive software duplication many times in the future, you may save
your self money this way by reducing labor costs for manual duplication
and maintenence cost on the drives and machines used to make the
backups.  Unfortunately, I don't have any information on where to get
such units; you might try phoning any large electronics distributor,
such as Jameco or JDR microdevices.

// Shaun //

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 91 13:22:28 -0500
From: "(Marshall D. Abrams)" <abrams@smiley.mitre.org>
Subject: Yes, there is a 'nroff' clone that accepts 'ms macros'

| Is there a clone of the Unix 'nroff' that accepts 'ms' macros. I've
| tried 'nroff1' and other roffs but to be able to process my files I
| will need to hack the macros or write them again.

Yes. I am using nr, which contains a very complete version of the ms
macros.  I have the manual at home; I'll send another message with cost
and address information.  I recall that it cost only about $35 for both
disk and manual.  I have found it very satisfactory.

Sincerely,

Marshall D. Abrams

| 		Dr. Marshall D. Abrams, Principal Scientist               |
| *** abrams@mitre.org ***   Security Technical Center                    |
| telephone 703.883.6938     Intelligence and CINC Support Systems Div.   |
| secretary 703.883.7937     The MITRE Corporation, Mail Stop Z269        |
| facsimile 703.883.1397     7525 Colshire Drive, McLean, VA 22102-3481   |
| "The MITRE Corporation in an independent, not-for-profit, systems       |
| engineering firm engaged in scientific and technical activities for the |
| public interest under contract to a variety of government agencies."    |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 91 10:17:30 EST
From: Manjit Trehan <ITMS400%INDYCMS.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Subject: SRVREQ-L Server-Requestor Discussion List

A new list has been created to host discussions regarding LAN servers
and requesters (workstations), including though not limited to, OS/2
LAN Server, OS/2 LAN Requester, DOS LAN Requester, PC LAN Program,
Novell Netware.  The initial intent for this list is to provide a forum
for discussions related to network programming, installation and
configuration of various servers, requesters, and related programs and
the underlying protocols-- LAN Support Program, NETBIOS, IPX/SPX, etc..

To subscribe, send the following to LISTSERV AT INDYCMS

      SUBSCRIBE SRVREQ-L fullname

Hope to "see" you there soon...
Manjit

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 08:21 EST
From: SCHRAMM@CEBAF2.CEBAF.GOV
Subject: 486/AMIGA Quandry

It is getting near the time when I am going to upgrade my current 286
AT clone/EGA system.  I am beginning to seriously consider the
Commodore Amiga series due to the somewhat subtle propagandizing of a
fellow worker who owns one.  He extolls the virtues of its graphics,
sound (built-in DSP), 3 copro- cessors, true multi-tasking and
real-time operation.  Not to mention it can read MS-DOS, Apple-DOS and
Amiga-DOS diskettes (all 3 1/2" though) from the same floppy drive.  He
uses his system largely for rendering graphics using ray-tracing
methods in a small side-business.  Should I Seriously consider going to
the Amiga?  My uses are CAD, word-processing, MathCAD, some database
and, of course, some games.

  Are there any closet Amiga users out there who would be willing to
speak out?  Your help would be truly appreciated.

Greg Schramm
schramm@cebaf
schramm@cebafvax

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Apr 91 11:38:11 EST
From: Paco Rosich <ROSICH%EVALUN11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: EMS in VGA ram?

Does anybody know of a utility to simulate expanded memory or ram-disk
using the free ram in a VGA card ?.

I have an XT with a monochrome VGA monitor and a Paradise VGA 256K
card. I'm trying to put Windows to work in it. With a 640K XT, you can
play 'sol' or 'reversi' but it's unreasonable to use any "hard" windows
application. As a first attempt to speed execution, I choose displaying
in 640x480 monochrome mode instead of grey scale. This restriction
suggest another improvement: in this mode there is about 200K free in
the VGA, so .. why not use it as expanded memory?

By the way, this hypothetical expanded memory manager have to be
specifically designed to manage memory banks in the VGA, not just use a
linearly addressable region in ram.

Any idea welcome. If finally no such thing exists, I'll build my own.

Paco Rosich
Internet: rosich@vm.ci.uv.es
Bitnet:   rosich@evalun11.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 17:17:20 +0200
From: guillou%FRGREN81.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Help on user's defined fonts needed

I need some help about font definition and use on a PC The fonts are to
be used by the character generator (no  graphics mode)

1-What are the characteristics you must give to define a pc font?
2-How do you tell the character generator to use your font?

Programs that do what I'd want to do are for example LETTERS.ZIP,
EVAFONT.ZIP, VFONT436.ARC. I need the code in my application, not as
commands.

Any pointer to source code, or information is welcome.
Thanks very much.
                 Guillou@frgren81.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1991 16:50:13 EST
From: "Nelson R. Pardee" <SASMAINT%SUVM.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: High memory problems EMM386

I have an Epson Equity 386sx plus with 2 megabytes of memory.  I have
Himem.sys installed. Manifest says high memory is partitioned as
follows:

     a000-afff VGA
     B000-Bfff VGA Text
     E000-E7FF Video ROM
     F000-FFFF System

In addition,

     C000-C8FF Xinet Arcnet card16 bit

I want to install EMM386, but I don't have a 64k block free.  You say:
D000-DFFF isn't in use. However, anytime I put anythingat D000 (either
the network card or the page frame for EMM386, the system crashes).My
network card will only install at B000, C000, D000, E000 (stupid card,
or else the manual isn't telling the whole truth about how much memory
it requires).

Am I missing something?

 -what could be at D000? I doubt shadow ROM

 -some HIMEM conflict, as one tech support type suggested? I can check
that, obviously

 -in spite of what Microsoft told me, can the EMS page frame not be
contiguous?

 -on some systems, F000-F7fff can be overlaid (it has diagnostic
routines). Can I chance this?

Any help would be appreciated.

 --Nelson R. Pardee,   Academic Computing Services, Syracuse University--
 --120 Hinds Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244-1190 USA   (315)443-1079         --
 --Bitnet: SASMAINT@SUVM     Internet: SASMAINT@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU       --

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 91 13:12:42 EDT
From: Petr Kleja <PKSKS%CSPUNI12@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Connecting a 5.25 inch external disk to PS/2 w/DOS 4.0

   Doesn't know anyone know how to connect external disk to PS/2 model
55 SX running under IBM DOS v. 4.00 . I am able use this disk only
under OS/2 (on same model) through device driver EXT5DD.SYS . In IBM
DOS I wrote to CONFIG.SYS : device=DRIVER.SYS /D:2 /H:2 /T:80 /S:15
but it doesn't  work.

Type/Model of ext. disk drive is IBM 4869-502.

Any advice will be welcome ... Petr Kleja

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1991 09:09 EST
From: Karl Brendel <CDCKAB%EMUVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Looking for Otrona Attache boot files

We have an office which has an Otrona Attache (a defunct brand of
portable) which seems to be in good physical health. However, it lacks
a boot disk. Apparently it requires "its own" system files, and will
not boot up with generic MS-DOS or with PC-DOS system disks. (It will
boot CP/M, but that is not of use to the office.)

Can anyone provide, or provide a source to, system files for an Otrona
Attache? Best would be a copy of a boot disk known to work on another
one of this model.

To help, or for more information, please contact me by email (as below)
or by voice (+1 404/639-3071).

Thanks in advance--                     --Karl

| Karl Brendel                           Centers for Disease Control |
| Internet: CDCKAB@EMUVM1.BITNET         Epidemiology Program Office |
| Bitnet: CDCKAB@EMUVM1                  Atlanta GA  30093       USA |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 14:46:46 EST
From: "Aaron Kramer" <KRAMER_AG@RSO.dnet.ge.com>
Subject: Need UUDECODE for VAX/VMS 5.x; detar<-> unz also?

I am stuck after receiving UUENCODED files via VAXmail.  I need to find
a UUDECODE program for VMS 5.x.

What will I do next after it becomes a .z file?  I assume the file
eventually belongs on a SUN ....

Aaron Kramer
GE Phila.
kramer_ag@rso.ge.com
kramer_ag%rso.decnet@crd.ge.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 91 12:52:10 EDT
From: Petr Kleja <PKSKS%CSPUNI12@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Problem with OS/2 remote IPL on IBM PS model 55 SX

Hallo ....

I am working with OS/2 LAN server (version 1.2). I tried to install DOS
LAN Req uester with remote IPL (on IBM PS2 model 55 SX with hard disk)
but it doesn't work. I have made hard disks on 55's non-bootable (with
shipped program) and started RIPL service. I am not quite sure if
dedicated LAN adapter is correct.  I have found one using by DIAGS
program because on adapter doesn't exist any ENGRAVED number (it is
advertised by IBM). Type of adapter is IBM Token Ring.  I think address
is set correctly. In my opinion main problem is: "Does the re- mote IPL
work on IBM PC model 55 SX, and if so - how manage it."

Any answer will be very invited
                                       Petr Kleja

------------------------------

Date: 4 Apr 91 11:09:13 EDT
From: "Thomas E. Jenkins, Jr."  <TOMJ@csdserver3.csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: Request for PC information

Hello,

    I'm interested in purchasing a new PC (386), but need some
information first.  I'm afraid that I'm VERY overwhelmed with the
number of '386 machines available and their different packaging.  Let
me explain the system requirements I need and see if anyone can
recommend some PCs for me.

     The system will be used for home programming.  MSC plus other
things.  I know MSC to be a hog, so expect that is a good example of
the things programming will require.

    The system will be running Window 3.0 (IE, need VGA + mouse
minimum).

    Here's the main point:  The system will be used for MIDI
processing.  I'm not familiar with MIDI cards, etc, but have been told
that 2MEG RAM is minimal and 4MEG is preferred.  Since this came from a
MIDI card salesman ( not for a PC ), I assume he was being truthful
;-).

    Now, some other things I want in the system.  True 386 (not a
SX!).  Minimum of 80 MEG hard disk.  Minimum 4 MEG RAM.  ZEOS and Austin
are the two brands now under consideration, does anyone know of these
companies and their products?

    Here come the questions I have.  What are the best HD controllers?
Most computers listed in magazines use the IDE; is it the best, or
merely the cheapest?  I know this is a factor of drive as well, but
pointers towards the best combinations are desired ;-).  What RAM is
the best for a 386 - DRAM, zero wait?  What is the best cache size -
64, 128?  Is a 33MHz worth the extra bucks, or is the 25MHz just as
good?  What expansion slot combinations are best - 8,16,32?  Should I
have at least one of each, or can 8 bit cards fit into a 16 bit slot?
Any battle stories are encouraged plus plugs for your favorite system.
I'm getting close to purchase, but no where near sure of what to get -
HELP.

Please reply to me and I'll post a summary of answers to Info-IBMPC (
unless requested not too ).

Thanks,
tom

|  Thomas E. Jenkins, Jr.   Programmer, University of South Carolina CSD   |

| BITNET         :  C0361@UNIVSCVM.BITNET  |  CSDNET  :  tomj/csdserver3   |
| INTERNET       :  TOMJ@csdserver3.csd.scarolina.EDU          {PREFERRED} |
|                :  C0361@univscvm.csd.scarolina.EDU  |  129.252.43.30     |
| FROM Compuserv :  INTERNET:TOMJ@csdserver3.csd.scarolina.EDU {PREFERRED} |
|                :  INTERNET:C0361@univscvm.csd.scarolina.EDU              |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 12:44:39 -0500
From: dmnhieu@riemann.math.purdue.edu (Duy-Minh Nhieu)
Subject: Simulating CGA on a Monochrome monitor (Hercules)

Hi, I am looking for a program that allow ones to run graphics programs
that use CGA on a Hercules monochrome (card) monitor.

I remember there was one in the public domain but I forget the name and
place to get it.  Can someone give me some pointers?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 10:02:03 U
From: Greg Kaisen <Kaisen%YALEVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: VDT legislation

     I am beginning a reasearch project into the current "state of the
state" regarding recent increased awareness of the implications of
prolonged PC Workstation usage.  Recently in San Francisco, a city
ordinance was passed that required companies with employees who use
VDT's (Video Display Terminals --including PC's, Mac's, and dumb
terminals) to provide the necessary safeguards to prevent any possible
ill effects from working with these machines.  These measures include
breaks every two hours, proper workstation furniture, etc.

    My question is: "What have any of you heard regarding this issue" ?
Have you had any staff members say "I heard that it's now a law that
you provide me with a leather office chair and 16" SVGA monitor" or
questions to this effect.  Please contribute any thoughts you have
regarding any aspect of this issue (including)

1) preventative measures.
2) Do monitors really pose a radiation hazard.
3) Keyboard usage as it pertains to Repetitive Motion Syndrome /
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
4) Proper chair height (with relation to the keyboard).

And anything else you feel is relevant.  I will summarize the responses I
get and post them to the appropriate lists.

          THANKS very much for any contributions --
                      Greg Kaisen

                      Kaisen@YaleVM.BITNET
               or     Greg_Kaisen@YCCATSMTP.YCC.YALE.EDU

               or     just send it back up to the list !!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1991  01:53 MST
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Telix v3.15 communications program uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.telix>
TELIX315.ZIP    What's new in version 3.15 of Telix comm pgm
TELIXDV.ZIP     Configuration hints: Running Telix in DESQview
TLX315-1.ZIP    Telix 3.15 comm pgm executable & support files
TLX315-2.ZIP    Telix 3.15 comm pgm docs/host/scripts/dialconv
TLX315-3.ZIP    Telix 3.15 comm pgm. SALT script lang. and doc
TXMDM101.ZIP    Corrects error in Telix3.15 config for USR HST

A wealth of new features and bug fixes in Telix 3.15 are contained in
the author's file PD1:<MSDOS.TELIX>TELIX315.ZIP.

Some new features are:

  o When  editing a dialing directory entry you may now use Tab and
Shift- Tab to  move up and down in the list of items,

  o The  status line  may be  cycled on/off directly from Terminal mode
by pressing Alt-8.

  o BRANDTLX  should  now run  in much less than 320K of memory.

  o 4 predefined 'macros' or variables have been set up in CS, the script
compiler. These are: __LINE__ ,  __FILE__ , __DATE__ and __TIME__ .

  o When  CTS/RTS hardware  handshaking is on by default, but the CTS
line is low  at Telix  start-up, Telix  will now  give a  message  to
that effect, while  waiting up  to 10  seconds for  the signal  to come
on.

  o All names for 'new' keys (eg ALT-\) show properly.

  o On exit, the border is now reset to black.

  o Destructive/Non-Destructive  Backspace key setting can now be saved
to disk.

Various other features and 'bug' fixes are described in the authors
file PD1:<MSDOS.TELIX>TELIX315.ZIP.

Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #88
-------