Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 20:18:07 AST
From: SAIS000 <SAIS@UNB.CA>
Subject: Student Awareness in Science - SAIS-L@UNBVM1.bitnet

There is a new list (SAIS-L@UNBVM1) in Atlantic Canada dealing with
science promotion and interest.  This list is for those who have
interesting laboratory experiments in science that they would like to
contribute to other teachers in order to help them get their students'
interest.

We are looking for tested labs or even just ideas that others can use.
If you feel that you may have something to contribute, PLEASE DO!
Anything in biology, physics, chemistry, computer science,
environmental science and math is welcome.

We welcome your contribution or comments to this list.

With thanks,
Keith Wilson (List Owner)
Student Awareness In Science
SAIS@UNB.CA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1991 20:43:39 EST
From: harper%PEMBVAX1@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu
Subject: 132 column screen on a CGA monitor on a PS/2 mod 30

If anyone knows how to change the monitor mode on a CGA monitor to 132
column, please send me some information.

[Although I could be wrong, don't think this can be done... gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 19:07:00 EST
From: "Pierre V. Villeneuve" <VILLENEUVEP@VTPOOH.ME.VT.EDU>
Subject: Accelerator cards

My computer is a Vendex Turbo 888-XT and I have been thinking of buying
an accelerator card.  When I looked in my machine it looked as if my
CPU was soldiered in place.  Does anyone know if it is still possible
to install an accelerator card?  Would it be advisable for me to take
out the CPU myself, or is that something a trained technician should
do?

I would appreciate any comments.

Pierre V. Villeneuve
Graduate Student, Mechanical Engineering
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & S.U.
Blacksburg, VA
Internet: VILLENEUVEP@VTPOOH.ME.VT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 22:40:33 CST
From: Brian Piersel <S1CH%SDSUMUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
Subject: Epson printer codes

Your problem may be with the CHR$(0). I would be very suprised to find
out that the underlining didn't work right on the printer - that would
be very hard to overlook during testing. :-)

Instead of sending ESC "-" CHR$(0), try sending  ESC"-0"

In hex:   Send 1B 2D 30   instead of  1B 2D 00.

For most commands that take either a 1 or 0, you can use an ASCII "1"
or "0" instead.

|Brian Piersel                                              |
|BITNET:    S1CH@SDSUMUS            ICBM: 96.50W 44.20N     |
|BITNET:    SBPK09@SDNET                                    |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 02:37:17 MEZ
From: "Gisbert W.Selke" <S00100%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Fresh Technology address - summary of replies

Some time ago, I asked for the address of Fresh Technology, the makers
of MapAssist and, as it turned out, other helpful utilities for Novell
nets.I received three replies, from:

Don Latenser <latenser@hoss.unl.edu>
             <ajm@harvarda.harvard.edu>, and
Eugen Klute  <klute@reze-1.rz.rwth-aachen.de>.

Their headquarters are currently located in
Fresh Technology Group
1478 North Tech Boulevard, Suite 101
Gilbert, AZ 85234
USA
telephone 602-497-4200, fax 602-497-4242

Their German distributor is
MegaByte EDV HandelsGmbH
Fraunhoferstrasse 12
D-8033 Martinsried
Germany
telephone 089/8561091, fax 089/8561383

Both the American and the German folks were quite friendly and helpful.
Thanks to those three people above for pointing me in the right
direction!

\Gisbert   <s00100@dbnrhrz1.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 23:18:39 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: HP Laserjet III (V91 #56) (fwd)

>From: polari!lsh@sumax.seattleu.edu (Lee Hauser)
>>From: "Thomas James Menner, Jr." <tm11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>Just a few quick questions on the HP Laserjet III:
[text deleted]
>> Has anyone had any problems with Postscript compatibility (using
>>either HP's or a 3rd party cartridge)?
[text deleted]
>As to the Postscript... we've put a PacificPage cartridge in a III.  It
>works great on with PCs sending it stuff from WordPerfect 5.1 but have
>had problems with putting a Mac on it, even with Pacific Data's Mac
>interface.  It needs to be completely turned off when we try to print
>from the PC after printing from the Mac.  I recommend this cartridge
>over the HP because it can be turned off via the menu or software
>commands (command line or batch).  The HP cart has to be physically
>removed from the printer if you want to go back to PCL.  Hope this
>helps!

I believe it is possible to operate the Pacific Page cartridge
remotely, including to switch between PCL and Postscript.  The problem
is that when you send the command to switch modes, it goes through a
reset cycle.  Any data that arrives during the reset cycle will cause a
printer failure.  If you simply batch transfer data, it will not work
right.

The solution is to force a delay after switching modes.  This is not
straightforward for many print spoolers.  It is probably necessary to
use a custom printing environment, with either interactive file
transfer, or a custom-made spooler.  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp            #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
# abs (investment#1 - investment#2) << abs (anyinvestment - anydebt)    #

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 08:12 EST
From: "Mark E. Zawadzki" <ZAWADZME%WBLYC%dupont.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Would you E-Mail RESPLAY1.ZIP to me? (V91 #66)

>Date: Sat, 16 Mar 91 17:49 CST
>From: whos@ddsw1.mcs.com (Ben Feen)

>I realize this is a great deal to ask, but is it possible for you to
>UUENCODE Resplay1.zip and play400.zip and mail them to me?  I don't
>have access to the simtel20 archives.

>whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM

>[Rather than doing that, I'll E-Mail the help file that tells how to
>access the Archives via E-Mail.  Then you can grab all the files you
>want.  gph]

	Could you also send me that help file ?

				Thanks
					mez

	Mark E. Zawadzki                       |  "A rolling stone
	WTW & Associates                       |      gathers no wool"
	c/o E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company | 	            Opus
  	Information Systems                    |
	300 DuPont Blvd.                       |
	Waynesboro, Va. 22980                  |  "Nobody Knows the Bubbles

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 11:10:31 +0100
From: bax@tudgw2.tudelft.nl.tudelft.nl (Jan Adriaan Bax)
Subject: Epson LQ-510 bugs (V91 #69)

>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 12:11:46 -0500
>From: lazear@gateway.mitre.org

>I have a new Epson LQ-510 that seems to have a "firmware" bug.  There
>are escape sequences for turning on and off "outline" and "underline"
>modes.  These consist of ESC, a command byte, and either 1 or 0 (for On
>or Off).  When I send these to the printer, the mode turns on just
>fine, but won't turn off until I power cycle the printer (annoying
>during printouts, you know :-)

[text deleted]

>I'm sending the sequences with dBase III+ CHR() functions [like
>CHR(27)+CHR(45)+CHR(0)], if that helps.
[...]

I suppose somewhere the chr(0) is stripped from your byte stream or
converted to something else. But there may be a solution to it: I have
an (Epson compatible) Star LC10 printer, which allows not only chr(0)
and chr(1) for switching off and on the function, but also "0" and "1",
so chr(48) and chr(49).

You might try chr(27)+chr(45)+chr(48) to stop underlining.

Hope this helps,

Arjen.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 15:44:11 CET
From: Thomas Pockberger <aets-kja-a-ao3@ansbach-emh1.army.mil>
Subject: looking for publications

Sorry for the cross posting, but that's the only way for me to
receive the info.

Can somebody give me either a E-Mail or "Normal-Mail" address for
following magazines:

CIO
Communications
Computer (IEEE)
Computerworld
Info World
MIS Week
Network World

Please don't flame me, I am not ignorant. I am here in a 30.000
people town in Germany. I pay 15.00$ for BYTE etc. and have NO way
to find this addresses without YOUR help!

Thanks for all responds!

Pocky

Internet: pockbert@ansbach-emh1.army.mil,
	  pockberg@nuernberg-emh1.army.mil

		     "Ignorance hates knowledge"

------------------------------

Date: 28 Mar 91 04:04:52 GMT
From: s001160@kowande.bu.oz.au (Papajcsik)
Subject: TIFF conversions

  I am a new subscriber to this newsgroup and so far I have found it
very interesting. In Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #50 I read the follow
extract:

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 91 18:53 EDT
From: Danny Taub <DATAUB@vaxsar.vassar.edu>
Subject: Tiff File Format

	A friend here at Vassar has asked me if I can find out the file
formats of TIFF files.  If anyone has any information, please send
information either to the net or to me directly.  Thanks in advance.

	Danny Taub
	Dataub@Vassar.Bitnet
	Dataub@Vassar.Edu

I too am interested in TIFF formats, but in particular I would like to
know if it is possible convert TIFF's to BMP's, PCX's or GIF's and back
again. It would be much appreciated if anyone could forward any
information regarding this matter to me.

Thankyou for your time.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 14:27:17 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)

The info-gnu-msdos mailing list has a controversial history.  Its
original intention was to exchange information between developers of
the GNUISH project, an effort to port GNU products to MsDos.

The list gained rapid popularity, including among many users who were
adamant that it should be used only for product announcements.  Many
users have angrily dropped their subscriptions because of the intended
activity of the list, which included discussions.

I am happy to announce the establishment of two new mailing lists.  The
info-gnu-msdos list will now be reserved for announcements, as
requested by numerous subscribers.  The new lists will be used for
discussions.

I hope that many of our previous subscribers will rejoin the list, now
that discussions are relegated to the other lists.

PLEASE SEND YOUR SUBSCRIPTION REQUESTS TO :

    listserv@wugate.wustl.edu

NOT TO THE LISTS !!!!!

----- cut here -----
bug-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- Bug reports for GNUISH MsDos Software
help-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- Discussion about GNUISH MsDos Software
info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- Announcements about GNUISH MsDos Software

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is not directly interested in
integrating or maintaining ports of GNU software to MS-DOS, because of
limited resources.  These activities take time away from finishing a
complete standalone GNU, which FSF and many in the GNU Project
considers much more important.

There are some mailing lists to discuss MsDos ports of GNU software.
They include:

    bug-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu     bug reports
    help-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu    discussion
    info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu    announcements

It is no longer appropriate to post anything but announcements on the
info-gnu-msdos list.  Discussion of software bugs should be done on the
bug-gnu-msdos list.  All other discussion should be done on the
help-gnu-msdos list.

These newsgroups are managed by an experimental Unix-based listserv
program.  Send the command:

    add info-gnu-msdos
to:
    listserv@wugate.wustl.edu

to become subscribed to the list.  Send a message containing only
'help' to get more information about the listserv.  The commands should
be in the message body, not in the Subject: line.

DO NOT SEND THESE COMMANDS TO THE LISTS.  SEND THEM TO THE LISTSERV.

These lists are not moderated, not digestified, and open to
subscription by anyone.  Flames are NOT WELCOME.  Please do not
complain about the nature of postings unless a persistent problem
exists.  Problems with the mailing list should be directed to:

    bug-gnu-msdos-request@wugate.wustl.edu
    help-gnu-msdos-request@wugate.wustl.edu
    info-gnu-msdos-request@wugate.wustl.edu

To get more information about the GNUISH project, look at the file on
wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in the mirrors/msdos/gnuish
directory called '00msdos.gnu'.

----- cut here -----

Date: 28 Mar 91 05:36:28 GMT
From: price@helios.unl.edu (Chad Price)
Subject: Re: MS Word -> Word Perfect Conversion

MORRISON%UWSTOUT.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:

>I'm looking for a program that will convert Microsoft Word Ver 5
>documents to a Word Perfect Ver 5 document and vic versa.  I know I can
>save either type of document in an ASCII format and use it with the
>other program but this loses the formating features such as underlining
>and the like.  Public Domain programs would be preferred but if you
>know of any commercial programs I would also like to hear about them.

No need to look further than the programs themselves. WOrd can save as
DCA-RFT and WP has a convert program which can read and convert that.
Be aware that WP to Word conversions using this method leave one with a
huge mass of extra formatting in the resulting Word document. I think
that is because of the way the intermediate format works, but I'm not
sure.

chad price
price@fergvax.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 02:58:05 IST
From: Ran Cheremsh <CHERMESH%BGUVM.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: A kermit question - how to make a real HANG

Kermit offers a HANG command which delivers its message in very limited
circumstances. That's what the kermit manual says.

Still, I would like to write a macro which will permit me hanging my
phone connection. This requires quitting data mode by send a "+++"
string, and by adding a "ATH". Looks like there's no problem in
instructing the modem by sending an "OUTPUT ATH" instruction. I didn't
find a way to send a string while the modem is in the data mode.

Is there a solution to my problem? Is there a way to hang your phone by
implementing a macro?

Ran Chermesh                                  E - M A I L
Behavioral Sciences Dept.                     ===========
Ben-Gurion University                  Internet: CHERMESH@BGUVM.BGU.AC.IL
Beer-Sheva 84105                       Bitnet  : CHERMESH@BGUVM.BITNET
Israel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 00:32:48 EST
From: O1EVERT%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU
Subject: Corner Stone Data Base Program

Several years ago I used a data base program called Corner Stone.  Does
anyone know if the program still exists?  I cannot remember the company
that wrote it.  If Corner Stone isn't available - can anyone suggest a
inexpensive data base program?  Thanks, Tom

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 91 20:59:00 CST
From: "55SRWLGS" <55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: PCFILE 5

	need contact with any experts on subject program.  have some
questions. Please reply on this mail list, or directly to me.

Frank Starr
55srwlgs@sacemnet.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 15:56:39 EST
From: snoopy@charlot.pg.bull.fr (Francesco Iarlori)
Subject: Request for Creative Labs.

	Does anybody knows the e-mail address, if it exist, for Creative
Labs., Inc. Sound Blaster manufacturer ?

		Tnx!
			Francesco.

Francesco Iarlori
BULL HN Italia                       System Support
via ai Laboratori                    Communication Group
Pregana Milanese (MI)          Italy

E-mail: Francesco.Iarlori@pg.bull.fr Tel.: +39 (2) 9336.8363
           snoopy@charlot.pg.bull.fr                   .8320
IP_Address:             138.70.10.17 Fax :             .8463

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 09:10:22 MST
From: David Bear <IDDWB%ASUACAD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: simtel access

When is a good time to get on simtel?
I've tried to FTP into simtel for a week now and I always
get the message that the open attempt was rejected, or there
are too many anonymous users... This even a 9:00pm..
  Any suggestion ?

D Bear
ASU COPP ext 8257
... the only Bear on campus ...
IDDWB@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU

[> When is a good time to get on simtel?

When I was in Korea, using ANONYMOUS FTP, I used to login about 10pm
Korea time.  That made it about 1AM Eastern Time (I think!).  I had to
try 2-3 times before I logged in.

During the hours of 7am-6pm Eastern Standard Time, the number of
anonymous FTP users is limited to 9.  This increases to 14 during the
off hours and on weekends and holidays.

Those messages you're getting are similar to a busy signal.  Means
"Keep trying"...  Regrets, but...  Hope this helps explain the
situation.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1991 18:48:35 GMT
From: am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis)
Subject: Ultima VI 'Cheat' Menu Info Requested

Hello there in Netland.  This is my first post, so no flames please.  I
was wondering if anybody out there has heard of the 'cheat menu' in
Ultima VI to edit inventory, characters, game flags, etc, and if so, if
anybody has the password or code to access this mode.  I read about it
in the Book of Ultima, but the book doesn't actually give you the info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 07:23:59 EST
From: snoopy@charlot.pg.bull.fr (Francesco Iarlori)
Subject: Win3.0 HELP !!!

	My Configurations:	386sx	manufactured by NEAT
				VGA Tseng 512k
				4M RAM memory.

	Someone can help me in order to run my Win3.0 in enhanced mode?
	I'm able to run it just in standard or real mode!.

		Any help is appreciated.

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 91 16:37:41 EST
From: mdlawler@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael D. Lawler)
Subject: ARJ110.EXE - ARJ archiver has better comp. than ZIP & LHarc

On behalf of Robert Jung, the author, I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
ARJ110.EXE      ARJ archiver has better comp. than ZIP & LHarc

This is ARJ version 1.10.  This is the standard production release with
full functionality.

ARJ is a powerful file archiver with features missing from other
archivers like string searching, filename changing, extraction to
alternate filenames, and multiple volume archive creation.   The most
significant feature of ARJ is its compression function which usually
produces the smallest archives compared to PKZIP 1.10, PAK 2.51, HYPER
2.50, and LHARC 1.13.  ARJ compresses at virtually the same compression
ratio as LHA 2.10.

This is a self-extracting archive.  Type ARJ110 to extract all files.

Michael Lawler
mdlawler@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #80
-------