Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/11/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Wed, 10 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue  90

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                       BSD 386 Unix availability
                     Re: 386BSD Unix availiability
                             Error Code 165
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #76
                            memory managers
                         PIC, GIF, PCX <-> IMG
             Accessing SIMTEL20 software. (was: PC Server)
                               your mail

Today's Queries:
                         3.5" External Floppies
                          BC++ IDE and Mouse ?
                     looking for benchmark programs
                           Problems with LHA
                                Stacker

New Uploads:
                 Braille utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20
      DMP205.ZIP - Resident print spooler, spools to disk, memory
     Enable Reader speech synthesizer drivers uploaded to SIMTEL20
                        Interactive Ada Tutorial
                 Screen enlargers uploaded to Simtel20
           Speech synthesizer utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 91 22:11:45 EDT
From: Bill Laughner-Brown <BROWN@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu>
Subject: BSD 386 Unix availability

From: william@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU (William Jolitz)
Subject: Re: 386BSD Unix availiability

Here's an inquiry I made to William Jolitz about the availability of
386BSD and his reply to it.  Hope this helps.

Bill Laughner-Brown
University of Central Florida Computer Services
Internet: brown@chinchilla.cc.ucf.edu
BITNET: BROWN@UCF1VM.BITNET

	Date:         Sun, 30 Dec 90 00:41:24 EDT
	From: Bill Laughner-Brown <BROWN@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu>
	Subject:      386BSD Unix availiability

	Hello,

	I recently read your article in the Jan. 1990 Dr. Dobb's Journal
about your port of BSD Unix to the i386 microprocessor.  I would like
to inquire about the availiability of 386BSD to our university.  Any
information you could send me regarding 386BSD would be appreciated.

	Thanking you in advance,

	Bill Laughner-Brown

Thank you for your inquiry on 386BSD.

386BSD is distributed by the University of California at Berkeley CSRG.
You should contact them at 415-642-7780 when 386BSD is available.  In
the meantime, the February issue will feature several complete and
freely redistributable programs used in the actual 386BSD port.

BTW, here is the University's official statement on the subject: " The
386BSD support will be available in February as part of a revision of
the 1989 Networking Release distribution.  One very important fact to
remember is, that although the 386BSD itself support is freely
redistributable, much of the rest of the operating system and utilities
require source licenses.  Therefore, the February distribution will NOT
be a complete system and cannot be booted or run on a 386 machine.  The
distribution will require only a Berkeley license and distribution fee.
Previous fees were approximately $500, but the actual fee has not yet
been determined.

The 4.4BSD release is scheduled for the middle of 1991, and additional,
support for the 386 will be made available at that time."

Thank you for your comments on the article.  Please feel free to write
the Editor at Dr. Dobbs about 386BSD, so we can keep them coming.

Bill and Lynne Jolitz.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Apr 91 13:16:53 AST
From: I656000 <I656%UNB.CA@UNBMVS1.csd.unb.ca>
Subject: Error Code 165

Error code 165 on a PS/2 is a 'Memory Size Error' - Run setup.

Either the contents of the CMOS are gone (dead battery?) or hardware
changes have been made.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 16:57:40 PST
From: Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #76

>I'm writing a program and executing it by a .bat file and would like to
>disable the CTRL-ALT-DEL combination while the program is executing and
>then enable again after the completion of the program.  Any help would
>be appreciated!!!

The following has worked for me in the past under dos 3.x on XTs.  I am
not sure if it works on ATs or 386s.  If anyone has a rock-solid
routine, I'd like to C it!  (sorry.)

Anyhow, this is for Turbo C (or borland c++) but should work on just
about any decent PC C compiler.  I saved it from the Fidonet C_ECHO.

101/236 13 Nov 89 16:08:38
From:   Dan Kozak
To:     Peter Wilson
Subj:   ctr-break
Attr:

> Does anyone know how to disable control-break and control-C in C?

I wrote this to Jim Gifford a while back:

You have to trap the hardware keyboard interrupt.  This was for Turbo
C, but should work under QC as well.  Just declare these:

void interrupt (*oldint9)();
void interrupt noctrl(void);

and then when you want to capture int 9 do this:

. . .
oldint9 = getvect(9); /* _dos_getvect() in QC, no? */
setvect(9,noctrl);    /* and _dos_setvect(), ? */
. . .

switching back (releasing the interrupt) is a matter of reversing the
above, namely:

setvect(9,oldint9);   /* rename appropriately */

and here's the noctrl() function (you can modify it if you want to let
ctrl-alt-delete thru):

/****************************************************************/
/* Name: noctrl()                                               */
/* Desc: captures interrput 9 so as to ignore ctrl-c,ctrl-break,*/
/*       ctrl-alt-del                                           */
/****************************************************************/
void interrupt noctrl(void)
 {
  char byte;
  static int flag;
  extern void interrupt (*oldint9)(void);

  enable();

  if ((byte = inportb(0x60)) == 29)
   flag = 1;

  if (byte == 157)
   flag = 0;

  if (!flag)
   (*oldint9)();
  else
   switch (byte)
    {
     case 46 :   /* yeah, these should be #defined! */
     case 70 :
     case 56 :
     case 83 : byte = inportb(0x61);
               outportb(0x61,byte | 0x80);
               outportb(0x61,byte);
               outportb(0x20,0x20);
               break;
     default : (*oldint9)();
    }
 }

I think that there are similarly named (if not identical) functions to
read and write ports in QC.

#dan

Clever:         dbk@mimsy.umd.edu | "Softly her tower crumbled in the
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  sweet silent sun." - Nabokov

From:   Michael Stefanik
To:     Bob Stout

Trapping user interrupts is *not* operating system or compiler
dependant when programming under C that uses (as they most all do) the
standard UNIX library.  To disable user interrupts (pressing the CTRL-C
key under DOS) you call the function signal()

                  signal(SIGINT,SIG_IGN);

The SIGINT and SIG_IGN defines are found in the header "signal.h".
This function is found in every C library I know of, and it's use is
constant (but how it is implemented varies from system to system of
course -- you don't need to know *how* it works, just so it does.)

You can also use signal() to invoke your own user interrupt handling
routine.  It can go something like this:

void uinthdlr(int sig)
{
        signal(SIGINT,uinthdlr);
        printf("Quit pressing CTRL-C you nasty user!\n");
}
/* ... later in the code ... */
void main(void)
{
        signal(SIGINT,uinthdlr);
        /* .... */
}

Notice that within uninthdlr() the signal() is *redefined* to point
back to the interrupt handler function becuase whenever that signal is
raised, the action it takes is *reset* to the default action (ie:
terminating the current process)

-Mike

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 07:13:34 EST
From: baos@caip.rutgers.edu (Bancroft Scott)
Subject: memory managers

In article <910402065322.V91N76@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil> you write:

>Are you sure that Windows does multitasking?  I was under the
>impression that Windows allowed for context switching.

In real or standard mode, Windows only allows for context switching.
However, in 386 enhanced mode Windows allows full multitasking between
multiple Window applications and/or multiple DOS applications.

I use only 386 enhanced mode and it works fine, except for a glitch
which could be due to my error in configuring Windows: I am unable to
run multiple command.com's simultaneously ... Windows always kills the
second one that I launch as soon as I try to issue my first command to
it.  I have no problems running multiple DOS applications (directly
from Windows without dropping into command.com) that multitask, except
for Van Buerg's List program.  The List program suffers the same fate
as command.com.  There is no problem running command.com and List
simultaneously.

The only real use that I make of multitasking is with Pibterm (the
communication program that I use) and the Microsoft C compiler.
Neither of these applications were written with Windows in mind, yet
they run marvelously together in the background.

Bancroft Scott

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 15:31:17 EST
From: maddox@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (D. Maddox)
Subject: PIC, GIF, PCX <-> IMG

As far as GIF goes.  Check <MSDOS.GIF> GIF.ARC, GIF89A.ZIP GIF-DOC.ZIP.
They give you all the info you need.  If you are into C, GIFLIB11.ZIP
is helpful.

Doug

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 14:36:57 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Accessing SIMTEL20 software. (was: PC Server)

>Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 12:52:32 EST
>From: Jean Brunet <R31631@UQAM.BITNET>

>Hi! Would you know if there is a listserve (Bitnet) where it is
>possible to downlaod PC-MS-DOS freewares or softwares. Thanks a lot for
>your assistance.  Jean.

Sure, read on.  -David-

[David forwarded the RPIECS help file.  This can be obtained by sending
LISTSERV@RPIECS.bitnet a message containing the single line

/PDGET HELP

or by sending the same request to

<Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>...

gph]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 14:26:33 CST
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: your mail

>	I own a Hertz/20 computer 386/20Mhz with Pheonix BIOS,
>and would like to know how to read the BIOS's CMOS setup,
>it's address and the meaning of each byte.

>		Ariel G. Maislos
>		CS-dep BGU Israel

I doubt that you can get this from any source except the manufacturer.
-David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp            #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
#             "Priests and Playboys agree:  Be Vulnerable."             #

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1991 14:59 EST
From: AMINZADE%UVMVAX.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu
Subject: 3.5" External Floppies

We have a bunch of older IBM (true blue) machines, and have gone
through a lot of agony getting them to read 3.5" disks.  These are
mostly two- floppy PC176s and XTs.  We've used IBM's external 3.5", but
they are SO FLAKY!

They are constantly conking out.   Anyone out there know why this is so
(we've tried making sure that they are standing on end, as told by IBM,
we've tried keeping them far from the flyback transformer of the
screen, as told by the rumor mill, we've tried burning incense and
sacrificing small furry animals, etc.).  For sure they can't read any
HD disk that was formatted at 700K, and it seems like the don't even
like to read ANY disk that was formatted at 700K in the newer PS2s.
Sometimes they won't read anything at all.  Often they will read only
diskettes that they formatted personally!

I would appreciate any comments or sympathy.  I would also appreciate
any solutions that others have come up with -- 3rd party products?
We've even thought of buying these people laptops to use as external
drives with laplink to transfer the information.  Well, we haven't
given that TOO much serious thought, but it came up...

I won't appreciate people saying "get rid of the old hardware." We'd
like to do so, but we're a small, poor college.

Russell Aminzade
Trinity College of Vermont
AMINZADE@UVMVAX.UVM.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 09:53:53 -0400
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: BC++ IDE and Mouse ?

Hi,

   Every time after I compile and run my program in BC++ IDE, I'll lose
my mouse cursor. Borland suggests it's because I have an older mouse
driver.  My mouse is a no-name one, claimed to be microsoft or mouse
system compatible.  Are there many different versions of microsoft
mouse drivers? What's the chance that a true newest version of MS mouse
driver will work with my mouse?

   Thanks.
Jun

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 91 22:17:10 EST
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: looking for benchmark programs

Where can I find some benchmark programs for a pc? I looked for PCMag's
BEN55 but couldn't find it on simtel. (I'm looking for progs like the
Norton SI rating, etc. just to compare different pc's performance.)
Thanks.

BTW, the TXT2COM utility is in <msdos.txtutl>txtcom.arc

Chuck R.      bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Apr 91 21:12:20 IST
From: Ran Cheremsh <CHERMESH%BGUVM.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Problems with LHA

Hi,
I've started using the new (210) version of LHA. To my surprise this
version doesn't implement the "/v" switch. In its former version,
LHARC, you could type LHARC p /vlist ARCHIVE.LZH file1.ext and
file1.ext would be available through Buerg's list. You could use any
other formatting program (LIST, LESS, etc.) as well.  Can't it be done
with LHA?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 91 16:53:02 EDT
From: Paul Hyland <EZ113C@gwuvm.gwu.edu>
Subject: Stacker

Does anyone have any information regarding the subject program,
Stacker, from Stac Electronics?  It purports to double the capacity of
hard drives by compressing everything, then decompressing on the fly,
transparently.  One thing not mentioned is how much RAM it takes up
(there must be some -- I assume some TSR intercepts all disk calls or
something).

I got something from Egghead offering it for $89, and if it does all it
says, seems well worth it.

(usual disclaimer -- no connection w/ either Stac or Egghead)

Relatedly, are there any good disk defragmentation utilities around on
Simtel?  Other PD ones known of?  How's the one w/ PC Tools, other
commercial ones?

Thanks,

Paul Hyland
ez113c@gwuvm.gwu.edu
cdp!phyland@labrea.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 22:54:33 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Braille utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following braille utilities to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
DOTS20C.ZIP     DEMO of 'Hot Dots' Braille translation program
PCBRDEMO.ZIP    DEMO version of 'PC-Braille' program
SCANDEMO.ZIP    DEMO of file reader for Braille terminals
BRCLEAN.ZIP     Program to clean up Braille files
TBRL253.ZIP     DEMO version of 'Turbo Braille' program

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1991 00:32:59 PST
From: Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: DMP205.ZIP - Resident print spooler, spools to disk, memory

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.printer>
DMP205.ZIP      Resident print spooler, spools to disk, memory

I particularly like DMP because it has the ability to use expanded
memory as a dynamically sized spool area (i.e., it grabs memory as
needed and then returns it when the need has passed).

One minor complaint I have with the program is that its mechanism for
controlling the output speed on a parallel port doesn't quite go high
enough to let me drive my HP laser printer at full speed on my 386/33.
I've mentioned this (via e-mail) to the author; I'll let you know if
and when I hear anything significant in response.  Let me emphasize
that I think this is a minor issue -- not a fatal flaw by any means.

Please note that the author has a new address for sending
registrations.  Also, the registration price is going up from the
current $18; starting April 15, the fee will be $29.  This info should
be publicized ASAP.

I downloaded DMP 2.05 from the Publishers' Paradise BBS in Alabama.

Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU// UCLA Computer Science Department
3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 16:28:04 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Enable Reader speech synthesizer drivers uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 the following speech synthesizer programs:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
ETSMANUL.ZIP    Docs for Enable Reader 4.0 Speech System
ARTCPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Artic synthesizer
CLTXPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Calltext synthesizer
DCTKPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Dectalk synthesizer
ECHOPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Echo synthesizer
VTKRPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Votalker synthesizer
VTRXPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Votrax synthesizer
VTXBPRGM.ZIP    Enable Reader EXEs for Votrax B synthesizer
VOTRXPKG.ZIP    Enable Votrax synthesizer automation package

This is an early shareware version of Enable Reader.  You will need the
first file (ETSMANUL) and then the appropriate file for your particular
speech synthesizer.

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 07:17:50 MST
From: Rick Conn <RCONN@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Interactive Ada Tutorial

Ada Software Repository Release Notice
Release of: Interactive Ada Tutor

1. Taxonomy:
    TUTORIALS AND EDUCATION
        COMPUTER-BASED TRAINING
            ADA-TUTR

2. Author:
    John J. Herro
    Software Innovations Technology
    1083 Mandarin Dr. NE
    Palm Bay, FL  32905-4706
    407/951-0233

3. Rights: SHAREWARE

4. Abstract:
ADA-TUTR is an interactive Ada tutor program, from Software Innovations
Technology, used to train people to be Ada programmers.

ADA-TUTR is not just a "quiz," it is a thorough course of interactive
instruction that even checks "homework" assignments.  ADA-TUTR
concentrates on teaching good program design, not just syntax, so that
programs will take advantage of the features of Ada that make them more
reliable and easier to maintain.  ADA-TUTR was written by John J.
Herro, Ph.D., who taught a graduate course in Ada at the State
University of New York at Binghamton, and taught Ada to employees of
General Electric Co. and Grumman Aerospace Corp.

When ADA-TUTR is run on a PC, an Ada compiler is helpful, but not
required.  A list of Ada compilers available for the PC, some of them
inexpensive, is included.  The PC needs a hard disk or a 3 1/2" disk,
and can have a monochrome or color monitor.  Since ADA-TUTR comes with
Ada source code, it will run on other computers with Ada compilers.  It
has been brought up on DEC VAX computers using DEC Ada and SUN 3
workstations using Verdix Ada, to name a couple.

ADA-TUTR is marketed as "Shareware," which means that individuals,
schools, and companies may try the program without charge, making and
distributing as many copies as desired.  To use the program after a
free trial, an individual registers for a small one-time charge.  An
organization buys a license for a one-time charge.

WARNING: The *.EXE file in MSDOS is a binary image, not a text file.

NOTE: The *.EXE file in MSDOS contains almost all the files (except the
CMM and PRO files) in ADA-TUTR, and it contains other *.EXE files which
run without modification on a PC or clone.  The files in
PD2:<ADA.ADA-TUTR> are all in text form, including the database file
TUTOR.TXT which must be translated into a DIRECT_IO file by the TXT2DAT
program (see the  documentation in PRINT.ME in the CRSNOTES.SRC file).
PD2:<ADA.ADA-TUTR> is provided specifically for those ASR users who do
not have PCs.

NOTE: Unlike other SRC files in the ASR, these SRC files do NOT contain
components listed in compilation order (i.e., ready to compile right in
the SRC files without extracting them).  Installation instructions are
in the file PRINT.ME in CRSNOTES.SRC.

5. Directory Listing:
Directory   PD2:<ADA.ADA-TUTR>
     File Name      Bytes    Lines
  ---------------  --------  ------
  A0READ.ME             546      10
  ADA-TUTR.CMM          804      20
  ADA-TUTR.PRO         3575      69
  CRSNOTES.INC          179      15
  CRSNOTES.SRC       105963    2773
  DOC.INC                50       5
  DOC.SRC             12116     224
  SOURCE.INC            140      12
  SOURCE.SRC          64435    1421
  TUTOR.TXT          315282    4777
  ===============  ========  ======
   10 Files          503090    9326

Directory   PD1:<MSDOS.ADA>
     File Name      Bytes    Lines
  ---------------  --------  ------
  ADATU122.CMM          898      22
  ADATU122.EXE       273037  Binary
  ADATU200.CMM          804      20
  ADATU200.EXE       244671  Binary
  ===============  ========  ======
    4 Files          519410      42

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 23:38:18 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Screen enlargers uploaded to Simtel20

I have uploaded the following screen magnifiers to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.handicap>
BIG10.ZIP       Screen magnifier specifically for Lotus 123
ZOOMSHAR.ZIP    Mouse controlled screen magnifier

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 91 16:58:58 EST
From: wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry)
Subject: Speech synthesizer utilities uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded the following speech synthesizer utilities to SIMTEL20:

DECMUSIC.ZIP    Make your DECtalk(tm) synthesizer sing!
PROVOX33.ZIP    DEMO version of the PROVOX speech program
RALPH21.ZIP     File lister for use with speech synthesizers
SETECHO.ZIP     Quick & dirty program sets up echo synthesizer
SPCTL.ZIP       Put speech synth program to sleep in bat files
SQWNT272.ZIP    Excellent talking file lister by Jeff Salzburg

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #90
-------