Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/21/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 21 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue  95

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                              $25 network
                             A Kermit Hang
                          Borland (a comment)
                      Educational Childrens Games
          Encapsulated postscript files/Not Encapsulated Files
                     IBMPC XT Memory - Missing 1 KB
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #78
                     Re: Fast serial card (V91 #81)
                    msg from cdp!crosenberg@SGI.COM
                    Stripping hard carriage returns
                          Re: The $25 network
                      WP 5.1 Hard Carriage returns
                      Zapping a NON DOS Partition

Today's Queries:
                              GKS support
                         interleave adjustment
                   Printing high resolution graphics
                    TSR pop-up over graphics screen
                         Turbo Pascal 6.0 bug?
                  Zen Of Assembly Language, Volume II

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1991 17:40:32 GMT
From: valley@uchicago.UCAR.EDU (Doug Dougherty)
Subject: $25 network

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>Actually, $26.50 with postage!  It works, too.  UNLESS you have a modem
>on COM4 the way I do.  Telephone support has suggested several cures,
>but I still have to unplug the modem to use the network on COM2.  If
>anyone has solved this problem, I would certainly appreciate hearing
>about it.  NB, my mouse is on COM1.  There are no TSRs running that use
>COM ports.  The problem is almost certain to be a conflict on IRQ 3.
>Thanks for any help!

The problem is that COM2 & COM4 share the same interrupt line (IRQ
level) I had the exact same problem trying to run 25$ network under
DesqView with a BBS running in another window.  The BBS program was
using the modem on COM1 while I was trying to run the network through
COM3.  Although, I can't imagine you'd have the problem just for having
the modem connected...  I would seem you would have to be running some
program that was accessing the port (i.e., handling the interrupts
generated on that IRQ line)

The 25$ network can run on any COM port/IRQ level combination, so this
can be the fix.  Unfortunately, my serial card (from which I am getting
my COM3 port) cannot be configured for any IRQs other than 3 or 4.
'Tis a pity...  Let me know if you have any better luck with it...  --

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 16:42:42 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch%maxemail@peo-mis-emh1.army.mil>
Subject: A Kermit Hang

Back in Info-IBMPC #080, Ran Cheremsh asked:

  Still, I would like to write a macro which will permit me hanging my
  phone connection. This requires quitting data mode by send a "+++"
  string, and by adding a "ATH". Looks like there's no problem in
  instructing the modem by sending an "OUTPUT ATH" instruction. I didn't
  find a way to send a string while the modem is in the data mode.

  Is there a solution to my problem? Is there a way to hang your phone by
  implementing a macro?

Donno about a macro, Ran .. but you can use the following file as a
Kermit "TAKE" command (e.g., TAKE HANGUP.TAK).

Hope this helps.
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
 ---------------------cut here-----------------
;HANGUP.TAK
;A more sophisticated Kermit hangup for Hayes-compatibles
;"TAKE HANGUP.TAK"
;Courtesy of Toad Hall

set input timeout-action proceed

DEF mdmOK INPUT 2 OK\13\10

ECHO \10;                nice new line
OUTPUT +++;              get modem's attention back
DO mdmOK;                wait for modem to roger
IF FAIL hangup;          didn't get modem, let Kermit do it
OUTPUT ATH\13;           tell modem to hang up
DO mdmOK;                wait for modem to roger
IF FAIL hangup;          stupid modem
; end of take file

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 1991 09:02:25 EST
From: DEVRIES@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU
Subject: Borland (a comment)

Michael D. Gordon writes about his fear that Borland will be dropping
Reflex.

I just returned from the 2nd Annual International Paradox User's
Conference.  We got to see a preview of Paradox for Windows (what a
killer! - it's a reason to buy Windows), but Philippe also discussed
the role of Reflex.  Based on what I heard him say, you needn't worry
about the future of Reflex.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 07:24:12 edt
From: Pete_Simpson@DGC.MCEO.DG.COM
Subject: Educational Childrens Games

CEO summary:
     My five year old girl can't get enough of "Amy's Primer", in
PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>AMYPRIME.ARC. She also likes Reader Rabbit and
Math Rabbit, both $30 or so and commonly available at the local
computer store.

     My eight year old boy was fascinated by PC-GLOBE and PC-USA (as
was my daughter, who's in a Montessori class...they do lots of maps).
I've even been introducing him (slowly) to BASIC.

     My approach is to download anything that looks interesting, put it
on a bootable floppy and label it. I then demo it to the kids & leave
it near their computer. For most games, CGA is a must (and completely
adequate).

     You might also check with your local science museum or school
department. The Boston Museum of Science has a whole department devoted
to teaching kids about computers.

Regards,
Peter

Peter Simpson, KA1AXY
Data General Corp M/S E132
Westboro, MA 01580

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 20:30:53 PDT
From: raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen)
Subject: Encapsulated postscript files/Not Encapsulated Files

garber@aru.dom.uab.edu asked:
>What's the difference between a garden-variety postscript printer file
>and an encapsulated postscript (EPS) file?

Postscript is a full-fledged programming language.  This is good in
that there is almost nothing you can't do with it.  But this is bad
because it means that you can't write a computer program to
automatically take a Postscript program and do useful things like count
how many pages long a document is, or extract subsets of pages, or
rotate and shrink images for inclusion in other documents.  (Ask a
computer scientist why this is impossible; toss out the buzzword
`Turing complete'.)

Enter the Encapulated Postscript Standard.  This is a restricted
version of Postscript, where you are forbidden from doing certain
things.  The (somewhat strict) restrictions on the file format allows
for the wonderful things described in the previous paragraph.

By analogy, if Postscript is the English language, Encapsulated
Postscript is like `Air Traffic Control English': A very restricted but
useful subset, specifically designed to be as useful as possible within
its realm of application, yet without requiring deep understanding of
the language subtleties.

The precise rules for the EPS standard can be found in an appendix of
the Adobe `Red Book', formally known as the `Postscript Language
Reference Manual', published by Addison-Wesley.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 91 03:25:30 GMT
From: gwni@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols)
Subject: IBMPC XT Memory - Missing 1 KB

I have heard of hard disk controllers which use the top 1 KB of the
640K memory space (possibly as scratch space?).  I believe OMTI was the
manufacturer usually mentioned.  Worth checking out ...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 08:51:51 -0400
From: amarquis@hstbme.mit.edu (Andre Marquis)
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #78

>From article by Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest"):

> Dr Dobbs Journal currently has a series of articles re: porting BSD
> Unix to the '386.

> Unfortunately, the only info I've been able to glean about obtaining
> the system is "Those who meet the requirements of the Regents of the
> University of California can obtain the system from the Univ of
> California at Berkeley."  Unfortunately, no-where do they tell you what
> those requirements are- or even where to get the info...

The phone number of the Computer Systems Research Group at UC Berkeley
is (415)642-7780 (Directory assistance is a powerful tool).  I spoke to
them about two months ago.  At that time the cost was $500 for a set of
disks with the entire system including source code.  They'll supply you
with accurate details.

| Andre Marquis				| Radiology Department		     |
| Decision Systems Group		| Brigham and Women's Hospital	     |
| Harvard Medical School		| 75 Francis Street		     |
| amarquis@hstbme.mit.edu		| Boston, MA 02115		     |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 21:07:27 IST
From: Nir Nathansohn <NIRN@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Re: Fast serial card (V91 #81)

The recommended UART for high speed communications (>=9600 baud) is the
National Semiconductors NS16550AFN chip, which has an internal buffer.
I had problems when using 2400baud MNP 5 modem (with locked baued at
9600 bps) under DesqView, but when I tried to find a store that sells
this chip alone (since this chip is pin-compatible with the 6250 or
16450- the "regular" UARTs- I wanted to replace my UART myself) here in
Israel, I couldn't find any. if you can find it at your town, then just
buy a regular 9600 (or more) baud modem and replace the UART.  I hope
this help.  PS I would be glad if you can write me the name of a store
that keeps this chips- I'll order it by mail...

            athansohn (NIRN at TAUNIVM)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 00:59 GMT
From: Ian Cassidy <85033634%dcu.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: msg from cdp!crosenberg@SGI.COM

There is a program in the DSKUTL directory on SIMTEL called PARTITN.ARC
This allows you do bold things to the partition table. It also includes
source code so you look at what its doing.

Ian Cassidy
85033634@nihed.ie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 21:13:31 IST
From: Seth Ward <RHLH710%HAIFAUVM@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Stripping hard carriage returns

>I have a question:  I frequently capture or download text files over a
>modem which I would like to incorporate for various reasons into
>WordPerfect 5.1.  Is there any way to strip off the Hard Carraige
>Returns from the DOS text file so that WordPerfect can format the
>document properly??

Years ago I downloaded a program called STRIP. I have since added a
feature which I found to be very important: the ability to mark
"manually" where you DO NOT want the hard returns stripped.  I suspect
there are better STRIP programs in SIMTEL now. But if none of them meet
your purposes, write me and ask for the code (in turbo pascal) for my
version of the old STRIP.

Seth Ward
RHLH710@HAIFAUVM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 12:54:53 CDT
From: valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty)
Subject: Re: The $25 network

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 13:42:50 EDT
From: Elliott Parker <3ZLUFUR%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: WP 5.1 Hard Carriage returns

Here's another solution to the question in v. 91:issue 63 about
removing hard carriage returns from downloaded DOS text files:  use a
shareware pgm. called TEXTCON.

    It does several other things, but I use it almost exclusivley for
removing CRs.  It is especially nice because it copes with almost any
paragraph format that comes through the port.  In the simplest case it
removes all CR *except* those marking the end of paragraphs.  It
doesn't mess up tables, handles hanging indents, etc.

     I don't think it is available on Simtel20, but your local BBS may
have a copy.  The author is on Compuserve at 72446,2704.

Elliott Parker                   BITNET: 3ZLUFUR@CMUVM
Journalism Dept.                 Internet: eparker@well.sf.ca.us
Central Michigan University      Compuserve: 70701,520
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 10:48:00 EDT
From: gedwards@ncratl.atlantaga.NCR.COM
Subject: Zapping a NON DOS Partition

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:
>Somehow we've gotten a huge non-dos partition on our hard drive.  FDISK
>and Norton refuse to delete it.  I've tried to mess up the partition
>table with DEBUG but am either missing it, or there is an extra copy I
>don't know about...anyway FDISK still keeps seeing that non-dos
>partition.

I had the same problem when I wanted to get rid of a huge Unix
partition on a DOS hard disk (and forgot the Unix root password :-)

What I did was use Norton's Disk Editor (de) and edited the partition
table by hand.  I think the de is only in Norton Utilities 5.0

Gordon Edwards, N4VPH              |         "Nothing Unreal Exists"
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing    |
gedwards@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com  |  Kiri-Kin-Tha's First Law of Metaphysics

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 19:17:44 IST
From: "Jacques J. Goldberg" <PHR00JG%TECHNION@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: GKS support

Does anybody know of any public domain GKS implementation supporting
common PC graphics hardware (CGA, Hercules, ...) compatible with the
Microsoft linker?

Jacques Goldberg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 09:30 MET
From: Adriano Santoni <SANTONI@IMIMNVX.IRFMN.MNEGRI.IT>
Subject: interleave adjustment

Is there anyone who has or knows of a reliable, compatible, safe
utility to perform the optimization of hard disks' interleave factor? I
have tried the Norton's one and another called IAU. Both seem to have
compatibility problems on my machine, which is an Amstrad PC1640, 100%
compatible apart from this. My hard-disk is really an add-on Olivetti
"hard-card", 20M, don't know what kind of controller. Its interleave
was reported to be 5 or 6. Another question to anyone who bother to
reply: is it safe to change the interleave to 1? Thank you for replies
(if any),

	Adriano
	santoni @ imimnvx.irfmn.mnegri.it

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1991 15:24:21 EDT
From: poulin@polar.bowdoin.edu (Jeff Poulin)
Subject: Printing high resolution graphics

Does anyone know if there are programs to print graphics with high
resolution (360dpi).  I'd like to do a printscreen from my Hercules
card (720 x 348) to my panasonic KX-P1124 but the best I can get is
180dpi.  At that resolution, the text in the graphics looks pretty bad.
Any ideas?

Jeff Poulin       poulin@polar.bowdoin.edu       jpoulin@bowdoin.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 15:33 GMT
From: "Barry Redmond" <BREDMOND%dit.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: TSR pop-up over graphics screen

Can anyone point me to books/references/routines on having a TSR pop-up
a window over a graphics screen?  It works fine on text screens at the
moment, but I need it to work over *any* screen mode.  Am I seeking the
impossible or impractical?

Barry Redmond                           bredmond%dit.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Dept of Electronics & Communications            bredmond@dit.ie
Dublin Institute of Technology
Kevin St,  Dublin 8,  Ireland

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 91 19:19 +0200
From: "Markus F. Boie" <boie%dkrz-hamburg.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Turbo Pascal 6.0 bug?

last week I visited a friend who has already upgraded to Turbo Pascal
6.0 .  I think the environment has been improved a lot, but most of the
time I tried to hunt down something of which in the beginning I thought
was my fault. Now I am not that sure if it isn't a bug. Please have a
look at the following code:

FUNCTION TimeDiff(Time1, Time2: DateTime): LongInt;
{ DateTime is a pre-defined record with variables of type WORD }
VAR t1, t2: LongInt;
    h, m  : LongInt;
BEGIN

{ The following gives rather strange (wrong) results when for example
  Hour*3600 or exceeds the boundaries of the WORD type. }
  If I was a compiler I would look at the left side of the becomes symbol
  to determine the possible value range and then work with variables of THAT
  type. Not with what happens to be the type of the first variable after the
  becomes symbol! }
WITH Time2 DO
   t2:= Hour*3600 + Min*60 + Sec;

{ This works great, but with some extra operations that seem completely
  unnecessary to me. }
WITH Time1 DO BEGIN
   h:= Hour;
   m:= Min;
   t1:= h*3600 + m*60 + Sec;
END;
TimeDiff:= t2 - t1;
END;  { TimeDiff }

Do I miss something? Are there any options to set to make TP6 work like
expected? Imagine how many errors like these are never been found!

Markus

 | Markus Boie  |  German Climate Computing Center, Hamburg, F.R.Germany |
 | Yellnet:  (+49) 40 / 41173-288 | Fax: -270 | Standard disclaimer:     |
 | X.400:    Boie@dkrz-hamburg.dbp.de         |                          |
 | Internet: Boie@regen.dkrz-hamburg.de       |    No claim intended!    |
                Anything than can go wr - Core dumped

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 08:53:53 CDT
From: exuhag@exurchn1.ericsson.se (James Hague)
Subject: Zen Of Assembly Language, Volume II

Does anyone know the current status of Volume II of Michael Abrash's
excellent "Zen of Assembly Language" (subtitled "The Flexible Mind").
Volume I was terrific and references lots of unbelievable sounding
stuff in volume II, but alas, I have not seen this second book.  Volume
I was published in early 1990, and then I heard rumours of
reorganization at Scott Foresman Books causing a delay.  Has volume II
be published yet, and if not is there a release date?

Thanks in advance.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #95
-------