Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/23/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 23 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue  96

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                     Adaptec Controller Information
                              CTRL-C/Break
                      Educational childrens games
          Encapsulated postscript files/Not Encapsulated Files
                                EPI-Info
                   Evaluation of Auto Park Utilities
                      High memory problems EMM386
                    Installation of UUPC for ATTMAIL
                      Multi-tasking under DesqView
                  Problems getting a file from simtel.
                                Message
                    Prometheus modem -- IRQ problem

Today's Queries:
                       DrawPerfect for x-y chart?
                        printers hanging up mice
                    VGA 256 colors in Turbo Pascal.
                             Zeos computer

New Uploads:
       FW-LS2.ZIP - Unix-like ls directory lister for DOS & OS/2
      GOLD20.ZIP - Map NUM LOCK to send scan code (GOLD on VT100)
       Interactive, screen-oriented tutorial on the Ada language
                           key click program
              Version 76C of McAfee anti-virals for MS-DOS

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 15:34:11 EDT
From: Curt <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Adaptec Controller Information

In Digest #81 there was a request for information on an Adaptec
Controller For a modest charge the company will send out very extensive
"User's Manuals".  You can call 408-945-2550 or write, Literature
Department, Adaptec, Inc., 580 Cottonwood Drive, Milpitas, CA  95035

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 23:53:54 CDT
From: Mark Parr <JPARR1@UA1VM.ua.edu>
Subject: CTRL-C/Break

I have two device drivers available in UUEncode form for anyone
interested in disabling the CTRL-C/Break keys.  They work very nice.
One of the programs provides a utility that will allow you to turn
Control-C checking on and off as you need it.  If you would like a copy
of both, drop me a line.

(Note:  Two people responded previously.  One of you, I lost your
address -- the other should know since I should have already sent you a
copy :) -- so please reply to me again for the files.  Sorry for the
delay/problem. )

               |-- JPARR1@UA1VM.BITNET  --  JPARR@MIBSRV.MIB.ENG.UA.EDU
   Mark Parr --|-- University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa
               |-- (Understanding computers begins with Time-Life books.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 11:24:41 PDT
From: abekas!lynn@decwrl.dec.com (Lynn)
Subject: Educational childrens games

First, a little background. We've had a PC in the house since 1982, and
children for the same length of time. :^)

The old PC is in our three year old's room and he can select a bootable
disk, turn the system on, use it and turn it off. We also have an 8 (9
this month she tells me!) year old who is in third grade. She currently
uses the big system more than I do. "Are you done with taxes yet?" She
has grown up with a computer like I grew up with TV.

Kids play computer things much like they do anything else. Yesterday's
favorite is tomorrows cast away. The length of their interest has no
relation to the price of the software. It is also no more possible to
get them interested in a program that the don't like than it is to get
them eat green vegetables. Quoting Bill Cosby, "Those of you who have
children will understand."

Most of the software for the preschool set is picture-alphabet based.
Sticky Bear Alphabet is an example. It rewards the child with an
animated picture on a keypress in one mode. In another, it displays a
letter and requests that the child find it on the keyboard. A simpler,
and cheaper, program was My ABC's which may still be around. It had a
nice interface, used CGA graphics and kept the kids entertained while
teaching them the alphabet. There are shareware equivalents to these
programs.

A bit more complicated is Playroom. It presents a childs playroom with
"things" to play with. Some are very simple, touch the clothes in the
basket (with a mouse click or cursor select) and a sleeve waves.  Touch
the drawer by the bed and a balloon pops out. Touch the balloon and it
breaks. There are several more complex games that are entered by
selecting the mouse hole or computer. The exercises cover counting,
time, and few others. Over all it is well done but has a couple of
defects.  First, the copy protection is a key disk. This is about the
only time that the kids us a floppy on this computer. This requirement
can be removed with CopyII-PC. The second is just poor design. One of
the games presents a simple typewriter on the screen and has the child
identify short named (4 letter or so) objects. They are to press keys
on the keyboard to match letters that are on the typewriter keyboard on
the screen. The font on the screen is all in lower case and not
selectable.  To my 3 year old, a!=A, r!=R, g!=G etc. Fortunately the
program hints so he doesn't get stuck.

Manhole is a wordless (mostly) adventure game that is greatly enhanced
by the addition of a sound board like a Sound Blaster. This one is very
well done. It does require EGA or better to play. This one even
entertains me and I am well past child in age.

Some games promise a lot but don't deliver. McGee is in this category.
McGee is a little boy who has to entertain himself while his mom sleeps
in. The graphics are good, sound only fair (it is supposed to work with
a Sound Blaster but misconfigures itself...not overrideable) but is far
too limited in scope. In less than an hour, the kids had worked the
entire "world" an left it forever. No further interest. Another in the
series is Katie's Farm.

I think that a lot of "Educational" software is sold in a manner akin
to the pet food is marketed. Go after the parent with slick packaging
and descriptions that appeal to the parent rather than the child. :^{

Ok, so what should a parent do? Well, first keep it in focus. The child
will not always want to be educated rather than entertained. Often the
two can be combined, but don't reject an otherwise interesting product
simply because it is not marketed as educational. Examine your own
software shelf for a moment. You have tools like a spreadsheet, a word
processor, a tax program but you also have a flight simulator, combat
program or adventure game up there too. Kids will want variety also.
Talk to your friends that have children and computers. Find out what
their kids are playing. When your kids no longer play with something,
trade it with your friends for what their kids are tired of. (Note that
this requires destroying all copies in your posession and giving the
entire package to whomever you are exchanging with. Same goes for them.
This may also be limited by the license covering the software.  For a
real good time try explaining the license that comes in the box with
the toys to a 8 year old.)

Shareware is cheap but of highly variable quality. Again, talk to your
friends.

Look on the bargin tables of software retailers. Software Etc. has a
whole section devoted to Under $10 packages.

Software that our children have used and enjoyed include: Those
mentioned favorably above, The Tink Tonks (a series of about 4
programs), Mixed up Mother Goose and Simcity. The current favorite of
the 8 year old is Commander Keen which converts a multi thousand $ PC
into a $100 Nintendo.

This got kind of long but I hope it helps. I will be leaving this
address tomorrow so will miss the follow ups. Sorry.

Lynn Macey
Telos Consulting Services
@Abekas Video Systems
abekas!lynn@pyramid.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 10:58:12 WET DST
From: whb@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: Encapsulated postscript files/Not Encapsulated Files

EPS files are easier to import into a DTP type package as their formats
allows them to be rotated, translated and scaled easily (as the name
may suggest).

EPS files can still be printed - but beware many PC packages omit to
append a "showpage" command to the file.

Henry.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 00:56:43 MEZ
From: "Gisbert W.Selke" <S00100%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: EPI-Info

Recently, both Karl Brendel <cdckab@emuvm1.bitnet> and Urban Janlert
<norrkom.umu.se> mentioned EPI-Info as a good package for data entry
and validation. Since it's PD, could someone out there who has it
upload it to Simtel? Getting software on this side of the Atlantic
Ocean is always quite a hassle, as Andrew McLean
<phr050@ibm.soton.ac.uk> pointed out.  (Especially so if there is a
maddening bureaucratic apparatus at your very own work place that seems
intent on making it the biggest hassle possible :-( .)

Thanks to all good souls in advance,
\Gisbert    <s00100@dbnrhrz1.bitnet>     WIdO, Bonn, Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri Apr 12 01:52:09 CDT 1991
From: david@campfire.attmail.com
Subject: Evaluation of Auto Park Utilities

I downloaded some auto park utilities, and studied their parameters.  I
was looking for free software, source code, pre-compiled executables,
low TSR space usage, and effective performance.

The winner is pd1:<msdos.dskutl>timeprk4.arc containing the
timeprk4.com executable.  This used by far the least TSR space (a low
240 bytes), includes sources code, clear usage terms, and good
documentation.  I just started using it now, and it seems to park the
disk once after the timeout, but not repeatedly once the disk is
parked.

Now I will never find it necessary to park my disk manually except when
turning off the power switch.  -David-

"David J. Camp" <attmail.com!campfire!david>
-- Concentration impedes Inspiration. --

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 91 17:12:51 GMT
From: 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao)
Subject: High memory problems EMM386

 Since you have manifest can I assume you are using QEMM-386?  IMHO,
its a bit better than EMM386.SYS.  Try installing that (just for the
below procedure I guess, but I'd recommend keeping it).  Then run
Manifest, and look in the QEMM-386 box.  Use the left arrow key to
highlight ANALYSIS.  Anything that reads "I" may (perhaps) be included.
Use the F3 key to make it in a easier-to-read form.  COpy it all down
on paper, and then edit the config.sys file.  If it said something
like:

0-9FFF = Ok
A000-AFFF = Vid Ram
Booo-B7FF = vga text
B800-BFFF = include
C000-C7FF = rom
C800-D7FF = include

THen you type in your config sys line:

DEVICE=C:\QEMM386.SYS RAM I=B800-BFFF I=C800-D7FF.

If you have the DEVICE=C:\QEMM386.SYS RAM by itself, it'll try to find
as much unused high ram as possible and find a page frame for itself,
just about anywhere.  The page frame must be a 64k continous block
though.

Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu Apr 11 23:40:14 CDT 1991
From: david@campfire.attmail.com
Subject: Installation of UUPC for ATTMAIL

This note is to document my experience installing attmail via uupc on
my home computer.  My computer is a CompuAdd 216 running MsDos 4.01.  I
have a 2400 baud modem, and an account with attmail.

I downloaded the pd1:<msdos.uucp>uupc09du.zip from simtel20 (actually
wuarchive).  This allowed me to send and receive mail on my home
computer.  Within 2 hours of downloading, I had local mail working
between accounts on my PC.  The next day I spent less than 4 hours
working with attmail Technical Support to get the connection working.
That evening I was able to transfer mail.

Here are some of the configuration options I used:

In uupc.rc:

    MailServ=attmail
    options=bang
    options=directory

In personal.rc:

    Editor=emacs %s
    Pager=less %s

In passwd:

    attmail:yourpassword:::attmail
    david:*:::David J. Camp

In systems:

attmail Any COM1 HAYES 1800??????? g "" \d\r\d\r ame: yoursys word: fromatt

They will give you the 'fromatt' password and 800 number.  You will
give them the 'yoursys' system-name and the 'yourpassword' above.  Tell
them to use the 'attmail' account instead of 'nuucp'.

Of course, some of these options may be different for your system.

Here is an MS_SH (Bourne Shell) script that will help in sending and
receiving mail:

----- begin of mailer.sh -----
#! c:/bin/sh
#set -x
if test "$1" = ""
    then
    echo Usage: mailer time
    echo where time is hhmm between tries or "now"
    exit
    fi
if test "$1" = "now"
    then
    set -x
    exec uuio -s all -r 1 -x 1 -u Any
    fi
set -x
exec uupoll -f `soon` -i $1 -r 0 -s all
----- end of mailer.sh -----

----- begin of soon.c -----
/* soon.c -- returns hhmm of 1 minute from now. */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

void main ()

{
struct tm * time_struct;
time_t now;

time (& now);
now += 120; /* gets truncated to 1 minute */
time_struct = localtime (& now);
fprintf (stdout, "%02d%02d", time_struct->tm_hour, time_struct->tm_min);
}
----- end of soon.c -----

I am working on a copy of mailsplit (called mailzoo) for Unix that I am
using to send files to my home.  A corresponding copy of joinr (called
joinzoo) is being developed to reconstruct the sent files at home.  Let
me know if you are interested.  -David-

"David J. Camp" <attmail!campfire!david>

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 10:49 EDT
From: "Ed Harris, Academic Affairs, So Ct State U"
Subject: Multi-tasking under DesqView

Jim O'Donnell asked if one could leave Kermit uploading and go off to
do word processing.  Yes.  I open a window and start downloading files,
open another in which I start editing whatever I was working on before,
open another in which I keep Xtree running so I can use it as a file
finder and mover (excuse the hi-tech jargon), open another--as
needed--to use a calculator, look up a phone number, word process (as
opposed to editing), edit and print a monthly calendar, etc.  I think
it is terrific.

However, it is relatively new toy for me and I am still experimenting
with what tsrs I can and can't live without now that I have all these
capabilities available in different windows.  Possibly related to this,
I hang my machine several times a day, so badly that it requires a
power switch off/on to get it back.  But I'm also not sure this is
Desqview's fault.  I have a new Zenith 386/20 w/ 8 megs of ram.  It
won't recognize my Weitek math coprocessor, it gives a rom checksum
error message when I ctl-alt-ins reboot, and it gives an error message
re: media and track 0 everytime I format a disk.  So something's not as
it should be, and it may have nothing to do with Desqview.

I have used Headroom and Software Carousel, which are context switchers
rather than multi-taskers, and I liked them both.  The convenience of
switching applications without closing the one in which you're working
is great.  But desqview beats both of them by a mile, especially when
you have an application that you want to keep running while you do
something

Ed <HARRIS@CTSTATEU.BITNET>
Southern Connecticut State U, New Haven, CT 06515
USA Tel: 1 (203) 397-4322 / Fax: 1 (203) 397-4207

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 12:22 CST
From: Ed the Computer Ninja Dude <MEMCR@canal.crc.uno.edu>
Subject: Problems getting a file from simtel.

I need help with a small problem. I have been requesting a particular
file from SIMTEL for the past week or so. Thus far, I have gotten
either no reply or some message telling me an interim node was down.
All this is fine since I know troubles will happen. However, today I
recieved this message from another listserver...

 -START MESSAGE-

From:   IN%"LISTSERV@RPIECS"  "Revised List Processor" 12-APR-1991 11:35:51.30
Subj:   Message

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 12:04:55 EDT
From: Revised List Processor <LISTSERV@RPIECS>
Subject: Message

You had ten tries. From now on your requests will be ignored without
any reply. You can restore your access  to LISTSERV by having another
person issue the following command: TELL LISTSERV at RPIECS SERVE
MEMCR@UNO

 -END MESSAGE-

Can someone tell me what this means since the message does not have a
"human" name to reply to?

  |ed murphy|consultant|university of new orleans|computer research center|
  |          internet: memcr@uno.edu | bitnet: memcr@uno.bitnet           |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1991 13:19:04 EDT
From: "William W. Plummer" <plummer@altacoma.wang.com>
Subject: Prometheus modem -- IRQ problem

I was having trouble using COM2 (for the $25 network) while my
Prometheus 2400B/2 was installed but disabled.  After talking with
Prometheus I found out that SOME of their modems do not tri-state the
IRQ line in the disabled state.  To tell you have to use a PLCC remover
to look at the number on the bottom of the large chip on the modem --
if the letter which is next to last in the ID is "J" or later, you are
OK.  Even some of the modems made in 1990 were bad.  They have no chip
exchange program and you just have to buy a whole new modem if you are
having trouble.  Be careful if you buy a used one!

William W. Plummer   Work: 508-967-4870
plummer@wang.com     Home: 508-256-9570

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 19:52 GMT
From: "Hu Weiping" <87701324%dcu.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: DrawPerfect for x-y chart?

Hello, all!  Could anybody enlight me if and how can I use DrawPerfect
to create x-y charts?  Thanks in advance.

W. Hu, Dublin City University, Ireland

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 14:03:05 CDT
From: "Bill Ball" <C476721@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: printers hanging up mice

A recent note to this digest asked for help with programs that froze up
the mouse when printing on a Deskjet. I and a friend of mine have been
encountering the same problem--he with a XT running Draw Perfect (and I
think Quattro)  into a Panasonic dot matrix, and I with an AT running
Draw Perfect (but not Quattro) into a HP IIP. Thus this seems to be a
common problem and I would like to hear any suggestions about how to
fix it.

To recapitulate: when I print to my HP IIP from Draw Perfect the mouse
goes dead. Why?

Bill Ball
c476721@umcvmb

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 17:12:13 ARG
From: Luis MAGNI <banyc!fmcba.sld.edu.ar!luis@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: VGA 256 colors in Turbo Pascal.

Turbo Pascal Gurus:

  I wish to know if there are any way to work with 256 colors VGA
modes, at least al low resolution 320 x 200. I have a Paradaise VGA
board (256 K) and a TRIDENT VGA with 512 KBytes. The last one can
handle 640 x 480 x 256 colors, but turbo pascal 5.5 did not handle more
than 16!.  Could aditional BGI driver help me ??.  I wish to work only
in TP 5.5.

  Thanks in advance.

| Luis Magni - Administrador de Correo |     Phone & Fax :(54-51)690442    |
| Centro de Microscopia Electronica    |     CC 362 - 5000 CORDOBA         |
| Universidad Nacional de Cordoba      |     ARGENTINA                     |
| postmaster@fmcba.sld.edu.ar          |     luis@fmcba.sld.edu.ar         |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 20:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jason Lee Burgess <jb8u+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Zeos computer

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 386 machine, and the 25MHz Zeos machine
is looking like a good choice to me.  I've read all the articles I can
find rating Zeos computers, and everything seems to indicate that
they're quality products.  However, I can't find anything specifically
on the 25MHz Zeos machine.  If anyone has had first-hand experience
with one of these, I would really appreciate hearing anything you have
to say about it (overall opinion, flaws, etc.)

Thanks,
Jason Burgess

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 19:27:27 PDT
From: few@GUPTA.COM (Frank Whaley)
Subject: FW-LS2.ZIP - Unix-like ls directory lister for DOS & OS/2

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
FW-LS2.ZIP      Unix-like ls directory lister for DOS & OS/2

This package provides a SVR3.2 compatible 'ls' for both MS-DOS and
OS/2.  This is a upgrade to FW-LS.ZIP, and corrects a "lockup" bug.

Frank Whaley
few@gupta.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 12:49:22 GMT
From: Bob Eager <rde@UKC.AC.UK>
Subject: GOLD20.ZIP - Map NUM LOCK to send scan code (GOLD on VT100)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.keyboard>
GOLD20.ZIP      Map NUM LOCK to send scan code (GOLD on VT100)

GOLD is a small TSR that maps the NUM LOCK key (which doesn't normally
generate a scan code) so that it can be used as the GOLD key on VT100
(and similar) terminal emulators.  Version 2.0 will work on machines
without BIOS interrupt intercept support, and includes ways of
modifying its action without leaving the application.

A Kermit TAKE file for mapping the enhanced PC keyboard, and full
source in MASM, are included.

Bob Eager <rde@ukc.ac.uk>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 91 07:19:16 MST
From: Rick Conn <RCONN@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Interactive, screen-oriented tutorial on the Ada language

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.ada>
ADATU200.CMM    Comments on installing Ada tutor system v2.00
ADATU200.EXE    Interactive ADA language tutor system, v2.00

Rick Conn <RConn@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Ada Software Repository Release Notice
Release of: Interactive Ada Tutor

1. Taxonomy:                     2. Author:
    TUTORIALS AND EDUCATION          John J. Herro
    COMPUTER-BASED TRAINING          Software Innovations Technology
            ADA-TUTR                 1083 Mandarin Dr. NE
                                     Palm Bay, FL  32905-4706
                                     407/951-0233
3. Rights:
    SHAREWARE

4. Abstract: ADA-TUTR is an interactive Ada tutor program, from
Software Innovations Technology, used to train people to be Ada
programmers.

ADA-TUTR is not just a "quiz," it is a thorough course of interactive
instruction that even checks "homework" assignments.  ADA-TUTR
concentrates on teaching good program design, not just syntax, so that
programs will take advantage of the features of Ada that make them more
reliable and easier to maintain.  ADA-TUTR was written by John J.
Herro, Ph.D., who taught a graduate course in Ada at the State
University of New York at Binghamton, and taught Ada to employees of
General Electric Co. and Grumman Aerospace Corp.

When ADA-TUTR is run on a PC, an Ada compiler is helpful, but not
required.  A list of Ada compilers available for the PC, some of them
inexpensive, is included.  The PC needs a hard disk or a 3 1/2" disk,
and can have a monochrome or color monitor.  Since ADA-TUTR comes with
Ada source code, it will run on other computers with Ada compilers.  It
has been brought up on DEC VAX computers using DEC Ada and SUN 3
workstations using Verdix Ada, to name a couple.

ADA-TUTR is marketed as "Shareware," which means that individuals,
schools, and companies may try the program without charge, making and
distributing as many copies as desired.  To use the program after a
free trial, an individual registers for a small one-time charge.  An
organization buys a license for a one-time charge.

WARNING: The *.EXE file in MSDOS is a binary image, not a text file.

NOTE: The *.EXE file in MSDOS contains almost all the files (except the
CMM and PRO files) in ADA-TUTR, and it contains other *.EXE files which
run without modification on a PC or clone.  The files in
PD2:<ADA.ADA-TUTR> are all in text form, including the database file
TUTOR.TXT which must be translated into a DIRECT_IO file by the TXT2DAT
program (see the  documentation in PRINT.ME in the CRSNOTES.SRC file).
PD2:<ADA.ADA-TUTR> is provided specifically for those ASR users who do
not have PCs.

NOTE: Unlike other SRC files in the ASR, these SRC files do NOT contain
components listed in compilation order (i.e., ready to compile right in
the SRC files without extracting them).  Installation instructions are
in the file PRINT.ME in CRSNOTES.SRC.

5. Directory Listing:
Directory   PD2:<ADA.ADA-TUTR>        Directory   PD1:<MSDOS.ADA>
     File Name      Bytes    Lines         File Name      Bytes    Lines
  A0READ.ME             546      10     ADATU200.CMM          804      20
  ADA-TUTR.CMM          804      20     ADATU200.EXE       244671  Binary
  ADA-TUTR.PRO         3575      69       2 Files          245475      20
  CRSNOTES.INC          179      15
  CRSNOTES.SRC       105963    2773
  DOC.INC                50       5
  DOC.SRC             12116     224
  SOURCE.INC            140      12
  SOURCE.SRC          64435    1421
  TUTOR.TXT          315282    4777
   10 Files          503090    9326

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 23:40:38 MET DST
From: Erik Tamboer <tamboer@CS.VU.NL>
Subject: key click program

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.keyboard>
CLICK10.ZIP     Free keyboard click program with asm source.

This is Click v1.0, a small memory-resident program that makes the keys
of an IBM-compatible PC click (actually, the click comes from the
speaker ;-). The program can be customized (edit the source code and
re-assemble) to also click when keys are released and to make special
keys (Alt, NumLock, etc.) click too.  Assembler source code is
included. Both executable and source code are free.

Enjoy.

    Erik Tamboer (tamboer@cs.vu.nl)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 10:07:58 PDT
From: Aryeh Goretsky <ozonebbs!aryehg@APPLE.COM>
Subject: Version 76C of McAfee anti-virals for MS-DOS

Now available from SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
NETSCN76.ZIP    Network compatible - scan for 240 viruses, v76
SCANV76C.ZIP    VirusScan, scans disk files for 239 viruses
VSHLD76C.ZIP    Resident virus infection prevention program

VIRUSCAN
     Version 76C of VIRUSCAN adds 18 new viruses, bringing the total
number of known computer viruses to 239, for a total of 501 viruses
including strains.  The enclosed VIRLIST.TXT file outlines the
characteristics of the new viruses.  For a comprehensive discussion of
each of the viruses, we recommend that you access the VSUM document
copyrighted by Patricia Hoffman.  It is available on most bulletin
board systems.

     In addition, two new command line options have been added to
improve batch mode operation of SCAN:  The /NOPAUSE option turns off
the screen pause that occurs when SCAN fills up a screen with messages.
The /NOBREAK option will prevent SCAN from stopping when a Control-C or
Control-Break is issued.

VSHIELD
     Version 76C has been completely re-structured to provide a major
increase in the execution speed.  Version 76C will run twice as fast as
previous versions.  The amount of time added to program loads will now
be cut in half.

     Version 76C of VSHIELD adds 18 new viruses, bring the number of
discrete computer viruses detected to 239 and the number of variants to
501 viruses.

     Version 76C of VSHIELD adds two new options, /WINDOWS option and
/CHKHI.  When run with the /WINDOWS option, VSHIELD will intercept
viruses in DOS processes under Microsoft Windows.  The /CHKHI command
allows the scanning of the high memory area present on 286 and 386
machines.

NETSCAN
     NETSCAN Version 76 (note no "C" version) adds nineteen new
viruses.  For a listing of complete listing of viruses, refer to the
VIRLIST.TXT file.

     Version 76 of NETSCAN adds a critical error handler that allows
NETSCAN to continue scanning if a file-open error occurs.  For more
information about the /UNATTEND option, see the COMMANDS section.

NOTE:  For Version 76 of the documents, the synopsis of new viruses
that usually appears was removed for space reasons.  I'd like to know
if people would prefer to have a brief listing (1/2 page) of the
viruses in the documentation or not.  Please respond by email.

CLEAN-UP
     The CLEAN-UP program V76 has a bug in it.  Please continue to use
V75.  A fix for V76 will be out next week.  If you have CLEAN76.ZIP
please delete it.

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky,Tech Sup.|voice (408) 988-3832    |INTERNET
McAfee Associates       |  fax (408) 970-9727    |aryehg@ozonebbs.uucp -OR-
4423 Cheeney Street     |  BBS (408) 988-4004    |aryehg@tacom-emh1.army.mil
Santa Clara, CA  95054  | UUCP apple!netcom!nusjecs!ozonebbs!aryehg
"Opinions expressed are my own and may not reflect those of my employer."

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #96
-------