Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/26/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 25 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue  99

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                          3.5" drive in an XT
                              Apple to IBM
                              DD/HD Holes
             IDE AT Controller + APPEND problem and gnuplot
                           IDE HD and NetWare
                           Getting PDGET Help
                    Comments in CONFIG.SYS (V91 #92)
                         Listing of interrupts
                          making a disk image
                               Shadow Ram
                         where to find TELEDISK

Today's Queries:
                         A question on networks
                    Can the Game Port receive Audio?
                           Downloading files
     Keyboard BIOS extensions for 101 keyboard w/ ancient XT clone?
                              People-link
                     Spooling system needed for PCs
                  Changing Hard Drives and Controllers

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 15 Apr 91 06:56:28 GMT
From: hns@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Henning Spruth)
Subject: 3.5" drive in an XT

I didn't read the original article. I assume it dealt with connecting a
720 kB 3.5" diskette to an XT.

I have used successfully 3.5" as well as 5.25" (80-track) 720 kB drives
with my XT during the last years (to the controller, there is no
difference between a 3.5" and 5.25" 720 kB drive). I used DOS 3.2.

In order to read and write disks, no special procedures are required.

For formatting drives, you have to tell the BIOS that it deals with
80-track drives. THIS INFORMATION IS REQUIRED FOR FORMATTING ONLY!

To do this, simply include a line like

	DRIVPARM /D:0

in your config.sys, assuming that your 3.5" drive is your first
installed drive (I hope I got the syntax right - look it up in your DOS
manual). By the way, the DRIVPARM command is not documented in PCDOS
3.2 but works as well.

Now, format your disks the usual way:

	FORMAT A:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 2:17:41 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Apple to IBM

>>From: ROB LEGGETT <@ksuvxa.kent.edu:LEGGETT@ksuvxm>

>>   Does anyone know if there is an easy way to convert Apple Works
>>files to ASCII and then convert them over to an IBM format using an
>>Apple 2e.  I have heard that it is possible on a MAC, but I am not

>You didn't say what kind of Apple Works files you want to convert.  If
>they're word processing files then there is a "save as text" option.
>If the files are spreadsheets or databases then you can save them as
>DIF files and reconstruct them on the PC side using dBase or 1-2-3.
>Either way you're not going to be able to preserve field names or
>formatting information but the information should come across ok.

>I'm assuming, of course, that you have an Apple ][ and a copy of Apple
>Works with which to do this...  If you don't then you'll probably have
>to find a Macintosh that can read ProDOS disks for you.

I have been converting AppleWorks files to Microsoft Works.  MS Works
does not understand the Apple format directly, and does not understand
DIF files.  The word processor files can simply be printed to a disk
file, requiring all the formatting codes to be reentered when it is
imported to MS Works.  The Spread Sheet and Database files are best
converted to files with tabs between fields and returns after each
line.  When you read them into MS Works, the database file must be read
into the Spreadsheet and cut-and-pasted into the database after you
have set up your fields.  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     David J. Camp                #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things." #
#             "Priests and Playboys agree:  Be Vulnerable."             #

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 10:32:24 GMT
From: hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg)
Subject: DD/HD Holes

"Bruce H. McIntosh" <DHBHM@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu> writes:

>Its hole sensor is telling it, "This is a DD diskette."  So, it
>will attempt to read what it thinks is a DD-formatted diskette,

I have this problem too and in addition another similar one:

Some PC's handle 720k 5 1/4" disks, some don't. Apparently Dos thinks
it's a 360k Disk because it's not a HD (not detected by HD hole of
course but by media byte).

Why doesn't DOS simply look up all necessary information in the boot
sector?  It's all there! Is there a way to patch Dos 3.3 to look up
this information instead of doing this guessing? (I have a patch
especially for the 720k disks but it doesn't solve the other problem).

Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 12:55:12 WET DST
From: whb@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk
Subject: IDE AT Controller + APPEND problem and gnuplot

Append is a NASTY thing - a horrible DOS "path" for datafiles.  My
advice is to try and avoid it all together.

Henry

------------------------------

Date: 15 Apr 91 08:46:28 GMT
From: marc@isy.liu.se (Marc Ahlse)
Subject: IDE HD and NetWare.

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>I have connected a hard disk ST157-A IDE technology from Seagate (40
>MBytes) to my AT286, I wish to know if is possible to install a Novell
>Netware 2.15 over this kind of disk, someone here say that I need a
>special driver, is this true???. Does anyone have this driver ??.  If
>not, what should I do?.

>If someone have any information, please let me know.  Thanks in
>advance.

Shouldn't cause you any problems as long as you can use a drive
description in ROM, which Novell DEMANDS. I had to modify my BIOS in
order to get an entry matching my HD (Toshiba 100Mb IDE).

Marc Ahlse	marc@isy.liu.se

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 91 11:43:08 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Getting PDGET Help

The command /PDGET HELP to LISTSERV@RPIECS gets back a file-not-known
message.  Is there a better way to get the same information about
access to SIMTEL files?

[Yep!  Send a note to Info-IBMPC-Request@WSMR-Simtel20.ARMY.MIL>
and ask for the same file.  Otherwise, you might try sending
a note to LISTSERV@RPIECS and say HELP to find out the EXACT
syntax.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 09:37:40 EDT
From: GAYLORD@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU
Subject: Comments in CONFIG.SYS (V91 #92)

Comments in Config.Sys:

REM is allowed in PC-DOS 4.01, presumably also in MS-DOS 4.0.
Otherwise, you have to live with error messages.

Clark Gaylord
Dept of Statistics
Virginia Tech

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 10:33:38 GMT
From: hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg)
Subject: Listing of interrupts

Martin.Timann%cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET writes:

>I think you mean Ralf Brown's Interrupt List. You can find it on
>SIMTEL20 in <MSDOS.INFO>INTER590.ZIP

No, it's <MSDOS.INFO>INTER291.ZIP (newer version!)

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 14:03:39 EDT
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: making a disk image

PCMAG just had a program to copy a binary image of a floppy to a disk
file to then send on a modem. I thought it was around vol10n6 or number
5. Anybody know the name of the programs? I thought there was a pair of
programs: one to make the image and one to copy it back to a floppy.

Chuck R.      bitnet: 346b36g@cmuvm.bitnet    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 13:15:50 +0200
From: Stig Venaas <venaas@siri.unit.no>
Subject: Shadow Ram

Yes, the RAM used for shadowing is invisible. Since you have used 128Kb
for shadowing, you get only 896 Kb free. On some machines, the shadow
RAM won't even show up when the memory is counted up in the boot.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 14:06:53 EDT
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: where to find TELEDISK

Teledisk is found in:
<msdos.dskutl>teled212.zip        Teledisk program
<msdos.dskutl>tdchk100.zip        program to validate a teledisk file
                                  (or something)

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 14:00 EDT
From: <RCJOHNSO%COLGATEU.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: A question on networks.

I need some advice.  I want to hook up five PC in a LAN, and was
wondering if anyone had suggestions about which one to use.  I have
looked at Novel (the second lowest version - can't remember which off
the top of my head), and it seems like it would work for me.  However,
I have heard a few things about Lantastic.  I know nothing about this
product other than it is a networking program. . .Would it work for
what I have in mind?  Also:  does anyone have their address?

Here is the setup I am looking for:
      5 station network
      One station would double as server and terminal.
      The four nodes would be diskless 286's so I need boot capability
         from the server.
      Server would be a fast (386/33) machine with a 200Mb drive.
      Connections could be anything - twisted pair is what I'm thinking
         of.

If anyone has any thoughs on what networking system would be the best
for this application, I would appreciate it!

         Thanks,
            Robert C. Johnson

Robert C. Johnson
RCJOHNSON@COLGATEU.bitnet
CU Box N4191
Hamilton, NY 13346
(315) 824-0001

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 1:49:35 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: Can the Game Port receive Audio?

I was wondering if it was possible to receive audio data on any of the
standard components of an IBMPC.  The only one that I can think of that
does A-to-D conversion is the game port.  Has anyone attempted to use
the game port with a microphone?  Is there any other "standard"
component that can be used for this purpose?  -David-

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 14:24 CET
From: Kenneth Lundkvist <SKOG6%SEUDAC21.BITNET@SEARN.SUNET.SE>
Subject: Downloading files

Being rather a novice on computer communication, I have some rather
simple questions on downloading:

1. What are the procedures, step by step, to download files from
SIMTEL20, if I am connected to EARN/BITNET?

2. What is a .ZIP file? Is it like a compressed .ARC file in need of
de-compressing?

There are many interesting-looking files in SIMTEL20 and I hope to be a
ble to download a few. Thanks for your help.  Kenneth Lundkvist
Uppsala    SWEDEN

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 23:56:23 EDT
From: Bill Laughner-Brown <BROWN@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu>
Subject: Keyboard BIOS extensions for 101 keyboard w/ ancient XT clone?

Does anyone know of a TSR that will provide extended keyboard BIOS
services (i.e. INT 16 AX = 10h,11h,12h) to provide F11 and F12
recognition on an ancient XT clone (circa 1986)?  Don't tell me that
this support is only with AT compatible keyboards, 'cuz I know that the
last IBM PC/XT to be built had an extended keyboard, just no NumLock,
CapsLock or ScrollLock lights.

Thanx in advance,
Bill Laughner-Brown
Instruction and Research Support
University of Central Florida Computer Services
Internet: brown@chinchilla.cc.ucf.edu
BITNET: BROWN@UCF1VM.BITNET (aka brown@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 14:18:27 EDT
From: "Chuck R." <346B36G%CMUVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: People-link

What can you tell me about People-link? It's another network like
Bitnet. But, what I want to know is, is it connected/accessible from
Bitnet or Internet? I have a friend I would like to contact who uses
it.

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 08:29:19 EST
From: The Radio Gnome <V2002A%TEMPLEVM.bitnet@VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject: Spooling system needed for PCs

     Is there/are there any public domain/shareware programs that will
turn a PC with serial and parallel ports into a print server?

     We have a small VAX with serial ports (DZQ-11/DHV-11) and an old
Centronix high speed parallel printer we'd like to use.

     While we could shell out $120 for a Black Box converter, we'd
rather put one of our old unused pc's to work as a spooler.

     The problem with our 'pocket' serial<->parallel convertors is they
only support RTS/CTS not xon/xoff and the VAX doesn't support RTS/CTS,
it only supports RI/DSR for incoming data.

     Preferably, we would like this program to support multiple COMx:
inputs so we could share the Centronix with our 11/44 as well.

     Is DMP 2.05 designed to perform functions like this?

     Thanks in advance!

     Andrew Wing - Senior Analyst
                   Temple U. School of Medicine

                   V2002A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET (VM.TEMPLE.EDU)

 P.S.  We, too had to have our IBM 3.5" 720K replaced several times due
to "position sensor failures"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 13:15:00 -0400
From: BAUTISTA@SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA
Subject: Changing Hard Drives and Controllers

   I'm presently using a Zenith Z159 XT computer with a 160 MByte SCSI
hard disk made by CDC (model 94161-9, at least that's what it says when
booted up). The controller is LCS-6821N-H (maker unknown), which is
claimed to be an adapter for IBM PC/XT/AT or compatibles.

   I would like now to transfer the hard drive to an 80386/25-based
computer (I can't part with it). Is this possible using the same
controller? Could I keep everything that's stored in the hard drive?

   Any advice from hard disk gurus out there on how to do the transfer
as gracefully as possible will be greatly appreciated.

                               Dody Bautista
                               Department of Immunology
                               University of Toronto

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #99