Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/28/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 27 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue 100

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                            IBM error codes
                        Computer Hangs (V91 #91)
                          windows 3 (V91 #93)
                     Putting Comments in CONFIG.SYS
                     Reading HP Pascal OS diskettes
                      YES: comp.os.msdos.desqview
                Re: Importing Apple II disk images -> PC

Today's Queries:
                    .CLP to .GIF or .PIC Conversions
                Writing a Driver for MicroSoft Bus Mouse
                      Comms progs that do 1200/75
                         Info-IBMPC Digest V91
                     Modem recommendations, please
                          More Modem Problems
                           Old Memory Boards
                    Parallel port connection of PC's
                             Ultima 6 cheat
                    detecting Tseng 3000 VGA chipset

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 14:35:12 EDT
From: TSAMSEL@ISDRES.ER.USGS.GOV
Subject: IBM error codes

A good listing of IBM error codes is available in REPAIRING AND
UPGRADING PCS.  This ispublished by CUE publications and costs 27.95
(US $). Ted (TSAMSEL.USGSRESV,bit)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 09:31:51 PDT
From: Mergenthal.ES_AE@xerox.com
Subject: Computer Hangs (V91 #91)

>Date: 8 April 91, 14:57:28 SAT
>From: FACEFM72@SAKFU00.bitnet

>     I have a problem with my 286 at computer that i have built.
>Sometimes during booting  my computer hangs. Also while working with
>some programs, not all programs, the same thing happend. The intersting
>point is that this problem happened only when i am in the turbo speed
>while everything woks fine during the ordinary mode (8 mhz).
>      80286 MICROPROCESSOR RUNNUNG AT 12 MHZ AS TURBO SPEED

Make sure that the DRAMs are 80 nsec or faster -- 100 nsec or slower
DRAMs could cause the problems you are describing, for a 12MHz '286.

Wade Mergenthal
Mergenthal.ES_AE@Xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 08:18:06 EDT
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: windows 3 (V91 #93)

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 10:14:28 +0300
> From: alon sharafi <VSALON@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il>

> Windows 3 offers several application like Terminal,Cardfile and
> Calendar When i start the Cardfile i get a new set called -
> Cardfile-(untitled).  How can i force it to open an old set that i
> already created and saved (without using file manager)

> P.S.  When i start Terminal i can use setting that i already created by
> calling the set Terminal.trm

Same with Cardfile.  I start both Cardfile and Calendar at startup with
existing files.  You can start an application by double clicking on it
(or, as shown below, at startup by adding the data file name to the
load= or run= line), IF you define the file extension either by hand
with an editor, or by selecting a file with the extension in File
Manager and using Associate in the pull down menu.

From my own win.ini (these are partial entries), sample lines are
below.

Your milage may vary.

[windows]
load=clock winfile drew.cal drew.crd
                   -------- --------

[Extensions]
cal=calendar.exe ^.cal
crd=cardfile.exe ^.crd

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:       ahd@kendra.kew.com         U.S. Mail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:          617-641-3739                          Arlington, MA 02174

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 19:03:07 PDT
From: Ernst.Heiss%cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Putting Comments in CONFIG.SYS

There is a Dummy-Device-Driver at SIMTEL20 which performs just that.
Name is COMMENT.ZIP (or COMMENT2.ZIP). I don't remember exactly.

Ernst Heiss
ernst.heiss@cnve.rrze.uni-erlangen.de

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 20:03 EDT
From: JAMESRC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Subject: Reading HP Pascal OS diskettes

HP markets a flow cytometer running the PASCAL operating system.  I
colleague would like to be able to read the 3/5" disks that it uses  on
his PC.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rob James
Department of Epidemiology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 01:42:22 GMT
From: salter@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John E Salter)
Subject: YES: comp.os.msdos.desqview

YES: comp.os.msdos.desqview

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 11:16:51 CDT
From: cpqhou!randys@uunet.UU.NET (Randy Spurlock)
Subject: Re: Importing Apple II disk images -> PC

Shaun Case <shaunc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET> says:

> I recently got a copy of a really neat Apple 2 emulator from Simtel.
> Being a past devotee of the Apple ][ family, I find myself with about
> 100 disks of Apple ][ software and development tools, but no Apple.
> [text deleted]

> The author left no address that I could find in the package; if anyone
> has an idea about how to do this, please let me know.  I've long since
> run out of space for obsolete computers on my desk.  :-)

	I am the author of the Apple ][ emulator, I have been working on
version 2 that does have serial support so that you can transfer
programs to the IBM PC using the standard PC serial port, i.e. the
emulator now supports emulation of a Apple Super Serial card. The new
version is not quite complete yet but I am almost ready to send it out
for people to look at. If you or anyone else would be willing to give
the new version a test drive please send me e-mail and I will mail you
the program.

          - Randy Spurlock -	      |      Compaq Computer Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!cpqhou!randys

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 20:04 EDT
From: JAMESRC@QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Subject: .CLP to .GIF or .PIC Conversions

Borland's Quattro spreadsheet creates .CLP graphic files. Has anyone
figured a way to move data into &/or out of this format to GIF, PIC,
etc?.

Rob James

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 8:43:17 MDT
From: nasten@gurkan.stupi.se (Hans Nasten)
Subject: Writing a Driver for MicroSoft Bus Mouse

I am trying to write a mouse driver for the Microsoft bus mouse, but I
am having trouble getting enough information about the hardware
interface.

Until now, I have been using a serial mouse together with my own
driver.  I need to support a bus mouse as well, but since the system
does not use MS-DOS, I can't use the supplied driver. ( the system runs
VRTX ).

I have tried to contact Microsoft, but they have not been very helpful.
They seem to regard this kind of info as a commercial secret.

Using debug, I have found the various registers in i/o-space. The
button status seems to be easily read, but the X/Y-counters does not
seem to be so easily reached.

Are there anybody out there who knows how to talk to the bus mouse, or
who knows where I can get my hands on the information I need.

  Hans Nasten                                Palsundsgatan 3 B
                                             S-117 31 STOCKHOLM
  Email : nasten@gurkan.stupi.se             SWEDEN

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 20:26:08 BST
From: Paul <pg9065@computing.bradford.ac.uk>
Subject: Comms progs that do 1200/75

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a communications program for an IBM PC clone that
can use a modem at 1200/75 and/or 75/1200? This is the speed used by
Prestel in the UK (`viewdata'). The modem does 300/300 or 1200/75, and
I can use it at 300/300 with Kermit or almost any other comms prog...
but Kermit can't handle 1200/75 (or at least I haven't got it to). So
does anyone know of a program which can?

Thanks for any pointers.

Paul Sutton
Department of Computing, University of Bradford, Bradford, BD7 1DP, UK
p.c.sutton@bradford.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 07:05 IST
From: Moshe Solow <CUCMS%HUJIVM1@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91

I would like some program that will allow password  or access
protection that attaches itself to the boot or some other part pf the
Hard Disk thus preventing unauthorized access.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

M. SOlow
cucms@hujivm1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 16:40:13 EDT
From: "William W. Plummer" <plummer@altacoma.wang.com>
Subject: Modem recommendations, please

Are there any INTERNAL 9600 Baud modems with all the latest features
like MNP-5, v.32, v.32bis, v42, v42bis (whatever that means!)?  I have
seen many external ones in the ads, but no internal.  Also, I'd like to
know if the modem tri-states its IRQ line when the interrupt enable
register is cleared (that's I'm replacing my current modem -- it
doesn't).

William W. Plummer   Work: 508-967-4870
plummer@wang.com     Home: 508-256-9570

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 08:50 EDT
From: Rob Leggett <@ksuvxa.kent.edu:LEGGETT@ksuvxm>
Subject: More Modem Problems

  I have a friend that is having a problem with an internal modem that
he purchased.  He can connect to a system and do everything but upload
and download.  We have tried Kermit and Z-Modem with no luck.  He did,
however, get X-modem to work on a BBS (???).  I have the same comm
software, Pcplus 1.1b and Pcplus 2.0, and the same Z-modem that he has.
I connect to the same VAX that he does, so I see no problem with the
system that we connect to or the software.

What really gets strange is that when he installed the modem in a
friends Packard Bell, it worked fine with no problem what so ever using
the same exact software and operating system.  So we have, by process
of elimation, figured out that it has to be his CPU.  Here are the
specs:

  CPU:
        Throughbred  AT
        80286  12 Mhz
        1 meg of memory
        No math coprocesser
        DOS 4.0

Modem:  Zoom half card internal modem
        2400 baud
        can transmit fax
        using Pcplus 2.0
        in com 2

We have taken everything out of config and autoexec, except files= and
buffers=, and the Prompt $p$g, so I see no problem there.  I was told
that it may be an interrupt problem, but I have no real knowledge with
them.  If it is the interrupts, what can we do to solve it.

If anyone has any ideas, please forward them to me asap.  It seems like
this problem is all that I think of, so my homework fails to get done.

Thanks in advance,

--Rob

 / | b  | Rob Leggett           |
 \      | Computer Lab Assistant|         INTERNET -- LEGGETT@KSUVXB.KENT.EDU
   \    | Kent State University | dx        BITNET -- LEGGETT@KENTSTAR
 |_/ a  | Stark Campus          |                            or
        |__                   __|                     LEGGETT@KENTGOLD

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 07:27:38 CDT
From: Rick Huff <X005RH%TAMVM1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Old Memory Boards

I have two old memory boards that need to be reconfigured.  Does anyone
have the jumper/DIP switch settings for either the Indigo Data Systems
PC Multipak or the Tall Tree Systems JRAM2 boards?  Are either of these
companies still in business?  Thanks.

                             Rick Huff
                             Systems Analyst
                             CSC, Billing Office
                             Texas A&M University
                             (409) 845-7223

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1991 13:34 ADT
From: Math/CSc Tech <DBROWN@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA>
Subject: Parallel port connection of PC's

I am working with one of the professors in our department on the
problem of connecting two PC's through their parallel ports to permit
bidirectional communications. This is all part of a larger research
project currently in progress. We are still in the early stages of
programming the software and are working on the necessary rewiring, and
have had limited success so far.  I am wondering if anyone else out
there has already attempted this, and might have some insights which
might prove helpful to us. So far, we've managed to accumulate some
experience, but there are still a few grey areas with which any input
(theoretical or practical) would be appreciated greatly.

David Brown, technician/programmer
Mathematics and Computing Science Dept,
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
INTERNET:  dbrown@husky1.stmarys.ca

------------------------------

Date: 15 Apr 91 05:49:56 GMT
From: 6600psi1@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mathew Wayne Yee)
Subject: Ultima 6 cheat

I'm just a new user who's been floating around.  I figure that this is
not the correct place for games since there are a few other areas that
cover games in the news net.

To the person who was looking for the cheat menu in Ultima 6.  Drop me
some E-mail and I'll send you the commands.

Bitnet:  6600psi1@ucsbuxa.bitnet
Internet:  6600psi1@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 14:29:15 BST
From: John Holman <rdac003@ux.lhmc.lon.ac.uk>
Subject: detecting Tseng 3000 VGA chipset

I'm writing a program that attempts to detect the VGA chipset type, and
have run into a problem with the Tseng 3000.  The only method I have
seen suggested relies on checking for the existence of the bank switch
register at 3CD. However, for some reason, a genuine IBM VGA adapter
for the AT bus seems to pass this test, and is misidentified.

Any suggestions for a more specific test for the Tseng chip, or maybe
for the IBM VGA adapter, would be very welcome.

John Holman

Hill Centre
London Hospital Medical College
Turner Street, London E1 2AD