Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (04/28/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 28 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue 102

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
          Encapsulated postscript files/Not Encapsulated Files
                  Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives
                      DESQview Problems (V91 #93)

Today's Queries:
                                desqview
                            Dialup services?
                          DOS Immovable Files
                         Directory of Simtel20
                            Tandy 2000 Info
                        Harris Line Printer Info
                         NS16550AFN UART Wanted
                       Printing in LaserWriter NT
                     program output to two monitors
                     Unzip and uudecode for vax vms
               How to make a Usenet connection with a PC?
                      Video output from a VGA card
              managment software for Engine Factory Wanted

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 17 APR 91 19:57:55 GMT
From: SG_CALLOW@vax.acs.open.ac.uk
Subject: EPS Files

>>Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1991 12:15:26 EST
>>From: garber@aru.dom.uab.edu
>>Subject: Encapsulated postscript files/Not Encapsulated Files
>>
>>What's the difference between a garden-variety postscript printer
file
>>and an encapsulated postscript (EPS) file?

To a PostScript purist or hacker very little. An EPS file can contain
according to the standard anything that a normal PostScript file can
with the exception of operators such as 'setscreen' that may leave the
target device in a state unusable by the Host PostScript program in
which the Encapsulated PostScript has been imbedded.

EPS files should contain the PostScript comment line '%%BoundingBox
x1,y1 x2,y2'. This specifies the co-ordinates (in default units) of the
bottom left and top right extremities of the image in the  EPS file and
is used by applications wishing to make use of the EPS file to
determine the image size and co-ordinate origins.

Unfortunately because PostScript is a very flexible page description
language and EPS is a very poorly defined (or open if you prefer)
standard, application developers are left with a major headache if they
are going to support EPS.

Most programs don't have spare room for a full blown PostScript
interpreter inside the application or even on the same PC as the
application is targeted for (I use a Hyphen PC RIP at work and the
minimum spec PC for this application is a 486 PC with a 320 megabyte
winchester and 8 megabytes of memory).

Therefore an unwritten standard exists for EPSF use in the real world
that works along the following lines. The application generating the
EPSF file will also generate a screen preview image (In TIFF format on
PC's and  compatibles and PICT on Mac's). This preview image is used by
applications using the EPSF file to display an image on the screen to
be used in positioning the EPSF file. When the application wants to
print a page containing an EPSF image it creates a virtual page with x
and y dimensions equal the size of the box enclosing the TIFF preview
and adjusts the  co-ordinate system of the output device so that the
EPSF program sees this adjusted page area as a full page (Thereby
allowing for anomorphic and amorphic image distortion). The application
then places the contents of the EPSF file into the output stream. This
is followed by PostScript code to adjust the device co- ordinates back
to normal (whatever that is) and print the other page elements. The
order of events may vary from package to package and I have outlined
the process in very simplistic terms (to keep this message to a
reasonable size) but this is basically the process employed to handle
EPSF files by all of the DTP programs I have encountered (PageMaker -
Ventura - Word - Quark - etc.) And this is why these programs will not
let you output an EPSF file to a non PostScript printer. (The best that
I have managed is persuading them to print the screen preview image. As
this is commonly 72 DPI the results are not very satisfactory from a
laser printer and even less satisfactory from a non PostScript
imagesetter.

The problem with this approach is that the application never knows what
the EPSF file has done to the output device and can only hope that the
EPSF code had the good manners to leave the printer (whatever) as it
found it. With a badly behaved EPSF file (I can supply examples of bad
EPSF code if anybody wants to know a few programs to avoid) this is not
the case and these files are a perennial cause of mysterious print
failures. (The bane of my life).

A second - rarer (predominantly Adobe) form of EPSF file exists that is
far more structured and rigid in its use of the PostScript language.
These files because they make use of only a limited subset of the
PostScript  language in a pre defined manner are far more usable than
run of the mill EPSF. Adobe Illustrator makes use of this structured
EPSF format as its Primary file format (I have only seen the Mac
version so this may not be true for the PC version). Files in this form
are even transportable between applications (Corel Draw for one can
read these files and translate them to its own internal format).

Normal EPSF files are not generally transportable between drawing
applications and are frequently not even readable by the application
that created them.

Adobe have promised to take EPSF in hand with PostScript version 2.
The World waits with DTP programs at the ready.

One final point on the subject of EPSF files. There are some people in
the world with twisted minds who have taken advantage of the
applications blindness to the contents of the EPSF file to produce an
EPSF virus. These clip art files contain a pretty TIFF image and some
code to display same on the printer. They unfortunately also contain
PostScript code to change the default password (and possibly other
printer defaults but not in my personal experience) of the PostScript
printer from 0 (the standard) to something else. This causes problems
with any application that change printer defaults semi permanently by
using the PostScript exitserver mechanism (which requires use of the
printer password). Applications that may be affected by these virus
contaminated clip art files are PageMaker - Ventura - Word - Windows
PostScript printer driver - Quark and others. These infected files are
very rare (in my personal experience I have only encountered one in 3
years). So as with normal PC virii if your PostScript printer packs up
try the usual remedies before worrying about a PostScript virus.

I hope that this reply is of some use to the both the original sender
of the EPSF enquiry - and to others on the list who are doing wonderful
things with DTP packages ETC on IBM compatibles. Sorry its so long -
EPSF is a complicated subject and I am not a very good author.

Regards

Simon Callow
JANET (UK):             SG_CALLOW@UK.AC.OPEN.ACS.VAX
BitNet/UUCP/Internet:   SG_CALLOW@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK

Phone: 44-908-653733
Fax:   44-908-653744

Surface Mail:
      Simon G Callow
      Text Processing Systems Officer
      The Open University
      Walton Hall, Milton Keynes
      Bucks, United Kingdom, Mk7 6AA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 03:04:00 +0200
From:  Gregory Hicks <ghicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Accessing the WSMR-SIMTEL20 Archives

The Simtel20 Archives discussed are available from:
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (see file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME details
on file directories and descriptions.)  Problems with files obtained
from the Archives should be addressed to:
<ACTION@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL can be accessed using LISTSERV commands from
BITNET via LISTSERV@NDSUVM1, LISTSERV@RPIECS and in Europe from EARN
TRICKLE servers.  Send commands to TRICKLE@<host-name> (example:
TRICKLE@TREARN).  The following TRICKLE servers are presently
available: AWIWUW11 (Austria), BANUFS11 (Belgium), DKTC11 (Denmark),
DB0FUB11 and DS0RUS1I (Germany), EB0UB011 (Spain), FRMOP11 (France),
HEARN (Netherlands), IMIPOLI (Italy), TAUNIVM (Israel), and TREARN
(Turkey).

SIMTEL20 is not accessible on the first Wednesday of each month from
6-10pm Eastern Standard Time.

If you are unable to access SIMTEL20 via Internet FTP or through one of
the BITNET/EARN file servers, most SIMTEL20 MSDOS files, including the
PC-Blue collection, are available for downloading on the Detroit
Download Central network at 313-885-3956.  DDC has multiple lines which
support 300/1200/2400/9600/14400 bps (HST/V.32/V.42/V.42bis/MNP5).
This is a subscription system with an average hourly cost of 17 cents.
It is also accessable on Telenet via PC Pursuit and on Tymnet via
StarLink outdial.  New files uploaded to SIMTEL20 are usually available
on DDC within 24 hours.

    <rjc@math.princeton.edu> operates a mail server that sends, by
return mail, a series of files that answer quite a few of the most
frequently asked questions on the net.  This server will also look up
programs in the SIMTEL20 index, the grape index, and the chyde index.
If you send email to <rjc@math.princeton.edu> with no subject and
containing the single line "help", you will receive instructions;
sending the message "directory" gives you an index of all the files
available on the server.

    A set of files you might be interested in is obtaining are faq.csip
old.questions and faq.more.  These files contain answers to more
frequently asked questions.  To obtain these files, just send the
two-line message:

        path your-return-path-goes-here
        send desired-file

(ie: "send faq.csip", "send old.questions", or "send faq.more")
to rjc@math.princeton.edu.  Of course, replace "your-return-address"
with your actual return address.  UK users please remember to reverse
the JANET path.  DO NOT INCLUDE A SUBJECT LINE FOR THESE MESSAGES.

>   How do you want the questions mailed to you for posting?  Shall I
> mail separate message for each question or shall I include all sorts
> of questions in one message?

    If you send them all in one message, I break them up, put in what I
think is an appropriate subject (it might not be what YOU want) and
insert your message in the Digest as time permits.

    Please be as descriptive as possible when selecting a subject for
the message.  These subjects are indexed periodically by keyword into
one file.  This allows a person to go to the Info-IBMPC Archives and
select a particular set of Digests to read.

    In your message to the Digest, please put in as much detail as you
can when describing the problem, information requested, review, et
al...

    If you send them in individual messages, they go right in,
reformatted as nescessary, and go right out.

    There is a delay of 8-10 Digests before your query / answer comes
out though.  That covers the ones already in the pipeline waiting
delivery.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 10:18:08 PDT
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: DESQview Problems (V91 #93)

>Date: Wed,  10 Apr 91 11:49 +0300
>From: Gil Freund <GILF@HUJIVMS.HUJI.AC.IL>

> tell me where I should look?

If you don't have a noise - free AC line,  random spikes etc can cause
random lock-ups.  Try a transient suppressor or a constant voltage
xfmr.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 11:16:44 MST
From: David Bear <IDDWB%ASUACAD.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: desqview

I have an interesting problem with Desqview and WordStar.  I find that
when I print under Wordstar, and extra form feed is inserted before the
print job.  The problem disappears when I leave Desqview and start
Wordstar with plain vanilla DOS ..  Anyone have any ideas?

D Bear
ASU COPP ext 8257
... the only Bear on campus ...
IDDWB@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 00:14:46 -0400
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: Dialup services ?

Hi,

   Apart from PSI, is there other parts that provide dialup services so
that I can dial a local telephone number in most US cities and
university campuses to connect to my account on my schools system?
(when I travel)

   Thanks for any points.

Jun

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 20:30:56 PDT
From: "David C. Barber" <dbarber%pnet01.cts.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: DOS Immovable Files

Does anybody know how some programs (for example:  Norton's Format
Recover and Windows 3.0 swap space) create immovable DOS files?  Also,
how can these files be removed without reformatting the entire hard
disc volume?

Please reply with e-mail to me directly, as well as to PC-Digest.  Thanks.

                                        *David Barber*
                                           @}-->----

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!dbarber
ARPA: crash!pnet01!dbarber@nosc.mil
INET: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com

[Immovable files?  A term used to describe those files that must remain
in one place.  In the case of Norton, the files have either the SYS, R-O,
or the HIDden attribute set.

How to remove them?  Change the attributes to 'normal' (ie: not set)
and delete!

Not sure how Windows 3.0 does it, but the method is probably similar.
Anyoen care to comment?  Microsoft?

Hope this helps.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Apr 91 20:18:17 EDT
From: MARTIN.A.L@p9955.wlu.edu
Subject: Directory of Simtel20, Tandy 2000 Info, Harris Line Printer Info

1.  How do I get a listing of the public domain software from
INFO-IBMPC?? I have tried many times.

[Depends on how you try to access the WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Archives.  Read the message "Accessing the SIMTEL20 Archives" for more
info and sources.

If you try FTP, use ANONYMOUS login, password <your-name@your-host>
and grab the file

PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>SIMIBM.ARC (BINARY file) or
                    SIMIBM.IDX (ASCII file).

If you try a BITNET E-Mailserver (TRICKLE@TREARN in Europe,
LISTSERV@RPIECS in the US) do a

HELP

I'll also send you the help file.  HOWEVER, I'm afraid I can't help
with the remaining questions...  gph]

2. Does anyone know anything about the Tandy 2000 besides the fact
that it is not IBMPC compatible?

3. <last  question for now> Would anyone know where i can get info on
older HARRIS line printers and removable hard drives??

Thanks for all help

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 23:07:49 IST
From: Nir Nathansohn <NIRN@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: NS16550AFN UART

Hello,
I am looking for a mail-order elctronic company where I can order 1
(yes, just one...) National Semiconductors NS16550AFN UART for my
modem. Ironically, although NS has one of its biggest factorieshere in
Israel, they wouldn't supply the chip in small quantities, and I
couldn't find anyone around who knows where can I get it. I really need
it to optimize communications under DesqView (this UART has FIFO
buffer, and is pin-compatible with the 8250).

                     Thanks,
                      Nir Nathansohn (NIRN at TAUNIVM)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 12:55:34 ARG
From: Luis MAGNI <banyc!fmcba.sld.edu.ar!luis@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Printing in LaserWriter NT.

Does anyone know a Hewlett Packard Laser Printer emulator that print
over Apple Laser Writer NT postscript printer?.  I want to convert
standart HPCL codes to Postscript, ... is this possible???.

Thanks in Advance.

| Luis Magni                           |     Phone :(+54-51) 690442        |
| Centro de Microscopia Electronica    |     FAX :  (+54-51) 691610        |
| Universidad Nacional de Cordoba      |     CC 362 - 5000 CORDOBA         |
| RAN:  luis@fmcba.sld.edu.ar          |     ARGENTINA             _       |
| UUCP: ...uunet!atina!fmcba!luis      |     __________---------> |_| <----|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 10:01 MET
From: Anneke Sicherer-Roetman <ANNEKE%HUTRUU54.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: program output to two monitors

Is there anyone who can point me to a pd/shareware/commercial piece of
software that enables me to have output to two monitors instead of one.
This is not dual-monitor with text on one and graphics on the other,
but a complete duplicate of all screen output. I have to do a
presentation and cannot see the monitor that is directed towards the
audience, so I need a second monitor to look at myself.

Thanks for any hints, Anneke

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 10:05 EDT
From: "Ed Harris, Academic Affairs, So Ct State U"
Subject: Unzip and uudecode for vax vms

I download files to a vax and, from there, to my desktop zenith pc.  I
have successfully used pkunzip and uudecode (in several flavors) on my
pc.  Now I have downloaded a file which is too big for this (about
1,000 Megs).  I get error messages about sharing and int24 when I try
to uudecode this.  I get an error message about sharing and an int 24
error when I abort.  Are there pkzip and uudecodes that run on a vax?
Where might I find them?  Or, are there such programs that run on a mac
and will handle such a large file size?  (This file's ultimate
destination is a mac in an adjoining

Ed <HARRIS@CTSTATEU.BITNET>
Southern Connecticut State U, New Haven, CT 06515 USA
Tel: 1 (203) 397-4322 / Fax: 1 (203) 397-4207

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 08:30:32 -0400
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: Usenet connection ?

   How can I connect my PC to Usenet? I'd like to have mail access, and
to post to various news groups.

   Thanks for any info.
Jun

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1991 21:10:25 EDT
From: FAC_TFLORY@VAX1.ACS.JMU.EDU
Subject: Video output from a VGA card

We are trying to connect a video projection system that has what looks
like a standard RCA type video input to the output of a VGA card.  Can
anyone share information about a (reasonably priced) solution to this
problem?  The projector also has an input marked "S-Video" which I
assume means Super VHS.

Thanks.

Ted Flory
Director of the Computing Center
Bridgewater College
Bridgewater, VA 22812                    (703) 828-2501

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 91 13:02:00 EDT
From: Oliver Otto <d09m@dhbrrz41.bitnet>
Subject: managment software

I am looking for a software product that is able to organisate a
time-table of a factory. It should make a plan what kind of engines are
in use and should tell if there is a better way.

! Realname: Oliver Otto                  Maus: Oliver_Otto@hb2.maus.de !
! BBS.    : 0421/4677233                 EARN: d09m@dhbrrz41.bitnet    !

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 04:35:00 JST
From: moeller@ndsenta (Reinhardt Moeller)

Hallo,

I tried my other mailbox address in Japan from uucp in Germany,
but failed, even with replacements for the slash (/), like ; and
#s# .

Do you have any idea how to transscribe the address at the bottom to make it
pass through uucp to sprint.com, so that sprint.com can understand it ?
The slash is omitted on the way to sprint.com.

Please answer directly to one of the two mailboxes mentioned below.

Best regards,
R. Moeller
Japanese-German Center Berlin    /    Japanisch-Deutsches Zentrum Berlin
Tiergartenstr. 24-27, D-1000 Berlin 30,  Tel. +49-30-25006-237, Fax -222
UUCP: ndsenta!moeller@aball.in-berlin.de (Reinhardt Moeller)  Modem -164
Internet:   /PN=REINHARDT.MOLLER/O=TESTORG.ATI/ADMD=ATI/C=JP/@sprint.com

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #102
-------