Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/03/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 02 May 91       Volume 91 : Issue 107

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                       Correcting Simtel20 errors
                       .WKS and .WK1 file format
                   PC-NFS: load it HIGH.  Here's how.
                              simtel again
              Updated rz/sz (Zmodem) for VMS now available

Today's Queries:
                          ascii -> postscript
                         Problems with SendFax
                            Extended memory
                         Multitasking question
                             parallel port
                         Quattro Pro .CLP files
            Repair vs Replacement cost of Personal Computers

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 14:44:59 EDT
From: "David B. O'Donnell" <EL406006%BROWNVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Correcting Simtel20 errors

Simtel 20 Archives are accessed via a number of different ways.  If
you are NOT in the United States, I am unfamiliar with the access
procedure over BITNET/EARN; send HELP to LISTSERV@TREARN.

Outside of EARN, send the command GET PDGET INFO to the LISTSERV
machine at North Dakota State U or Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute.
The hostname for NDSU is NDSUVM1 on BITNET, or VM1.NODAK.EDU on
InterNET.  RPI's hostname is RPIECS on BITNET, VM.ECS.RPI.EDU on
InterNET.  Both LISTSERV machines are fairly close to BITNET's central
hub, but considering the tendency of YaleVM to drop dead if you even
think of it in the wrong way, you might wish to use NDSUVM1 for the GET
command.

Read PDGET INFO.  It is VERY thorough, and VERY helpful.

It /is/ difficult to get access to WSMR-SIMTEL20 over FTP, but this is
the fastest route for retrieving files by far, since you can avoid the
need for UUENCODing, and you can avoid the BITNET filesize limits.

I've never used WUARCHIVE, but from what I have read, it (being a Unix
box) is likely to be more coherently organized than the Tops 20 OS
which Simtel20 uses.

In summary, Send GET PDGET INFO to LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 or LISTSERV@RPIECS
(LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU and LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU respectively) to
get ahold of the Simtel20 instructions.

FTP to WSMR-SIMTEL20 (SIMTEL20.ARPA) to FTP the files.  (I don't know
enough about WUARCHIVE to offer suggestions)

--Dave

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 09:04 MET
From: "Jeroen W. Pluimers / Jeroen Smulders" <FTHSMULD@rulgl.LeidenUniv.nl>
Subject: .WKS and .WK1 file format

At the RED-UG discussion list someone asked for the file format of
Lotus/Symphony spread-sheet files.

I got the file here, but lost the names of the people that wanted it.

Can those people please send a mail message to me so
that I can send them the file?

I will also post it to Keith Petersen to get it into
the SIMTEL20 archives as <MSDOS.LOTUS>WKSFFMT.ZIP.

Have fun,
jeroen

------------------------------

Date: 20 Apr 91 00:37:10 GMT
From: jxh@attain.teradyne.com (Jim Hickstein)
Subject: PC-NFS: load it HIGH.  Here's how.

One of my PC-NFS users who is savvy with PCs generally finally got fed
up with having to reboot his machine (to unload PC-NFS) to use his
favorite programs and, after I told to him to load it high somehow,
went out and bought QEMM/386 and did it.  Hang onto this little number;
it shows how he managed it, and that it in fact works, at least in this
configuration.

DISCLAIMER: Teradyne, Inc. is not responsible for anything.  Period.
We're telling the world about this from the goodness of our hearts, and
do not expect any further demands to arise from this.  Yes, you need a
386; yes, you need to buy this product.  No, this does not constitute
an endorsement; it is merely a report that we got it to work, so you
might, too.

He mentions VECIE6.SYS; we're using 3Com 3C503 (IE6) boards.  Your
mileage may vary.  If you don't think you can pull this off, find
someone local who can.  Please don't ask us for help.  Genuine, good
questions will be forwarded to the author; RTFM questions and other
junk will get a curt, nasty reply or nothing at all.  I have to get
back to work. :-)

Date: April 19,1991
TO: All PC-NFS / PC users
RE: Using QEMM/386 to place SUN PC/NFS into HIGH MEMORY

Configuration:
    1) PC-NFS V3.0.1
    2) DOS 3.3
    3) 486-33 and 386-25 Clones w/VGA & 4MB RAM

I have QEMM/386, a utility which takes over pc memory management,
placing most TSR's into high memory and freeing conventional memory for
important things like reading news.  My system now has 589K free memory
with network installed - 100K got stuffed into high memory by QEMM.  It
takes about 300K of disk space but can be reduced to only those options
you need (manually).

It has an auto install mode which does most of the work, however with
the network configuration on our machines, there are some precautions
when optimizing for PC-NFS operation.

You can do most of it even if you barely crack the manual.  Obviously,
it's your choice to ride bareback or not.  Here's what we did to
optimize PC-NFS and keep the system from hanging during optimization:

1) You must remove HIMEM.SYS and other memory managment drivers from
config.sys before running optimize.

2) You must *temporarily* remove SOCKDRV.SYS, VECIE6.SYS and NFSVEC.SYS
from config.sys.  These must be loaded after optimization.  The network
requires they run from conventional memory.  The big savings comes from
PCNFS.SYS, which takes a whopping 65K and runs fine from high memory.

3) If the network startup commands are inside your autoexec.bat,
temporarily comment them out to allow QEMM to optimize the network
TSR's without trying to start up the network.  This is to prevent the
system from hanging in the event that reconfiguration causes the
network not to work.

4) Run Install, then run Optimize.  Optimize will boot the system
several times and determine the most memory-efficient way to load all
TSR's specified in config.sys.

5) After optimize, add the 3 network drivers back into config.sys in
the usual way (DEVICE=...), which will place them in conventional
memory.

I'm posting this for him, and will take questions at my email address,
but I wasn't the one who did this, so I probably won't answer any of
them.  You're on your own.  Good luck.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 16:41:00 EST
From: Tom Rusk Vickery <TVICKERY%SUNRISE.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: simtel again

Would someone please log a session in which he or she log onto Simtel,
identifies and downloads some files, and then signs off-- and then send
the log of that session to the list.

I do appreciate the efforts of Diane Johnson to explain this,
especially since she is learning her way through the process now and
nonexperts are not usually willing to take the risk of exposing their
own lack of expertise.  And the allegedly expert users give such off
the cuff and/or abstruse explanations that they are not much help.

How about a log of a successful session with Simtel, someone?

        * Tom Rusk Vickery,        265 Huntington Hall  *
        * Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-2340  *
        * 315-443-3450    TVICKERY@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU  *
        * TVICKERY@SUNRISE.BITNET     FAX 315-443-5732  *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 02:05:45 -0400
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Updated rz/sz (Zmodem) for VMS now available

Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for VAX/VMS has been updated.  The updated file
was obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and is now available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
File name:   RZSZ9104.TLB
Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for VAX/VMS
File type:   VMS Text LIBrary

This is a binary file which should be stored as a 512 byte FIXED record
file with carriage control NONE on VMS.

To extract files from rzsz.tlb, issue the following DCL commands:

$ LIB/EXTRACT=EXTRACT_TLB^COM/OUTPUT=EXTRACT_TLB.COM rzsz.tlb
$ @EXTRACT_TLB rzsz/exit

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 14:57:01 CET
From: Bernd Bast <A0065@IBMVM.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE>
Subject: ascii -> postscript

My problem is:

I want to print an ascii-file including characters of the extent ibm-
characterset - especially those forming block graphics - on a
postscript laser printer. I have found a lot of programs which convert
ascii to postscript, but do not support the extended characterset.

In my opinion the problem must be solved by defining a soft-font
including all characters of the extended characterset.

Who has ever heard of such a soft font or in place of a tool for
defining one? Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Ciao, Bernd Bast.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 17:04 EST
From: <13682130%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Problems with SendFax

  Lately, I've bought a SendFax board ( Modem ) - using BitFax 2.061.
I am trying to use it on my Compaq portable XT.

  When I using the Modem part ( Software Kermit, Bitcom, etc), it
work's fine. When I using the Faxing part, the Modem testing fine,
configurating fine, Problems come at the stage of transmitting, some
time software prompt me "noise occured, retransmit", some time "system
locked".

  I've the phone company checked out line, no problem. The noise seems
come from computer inside. I consulted someone they say it is possible
the old Bios having conflict with BitFax.

  Does anyone know any of one of the above product ( Compaq portable,
BitFax, Cardial SendFax 4800), Please give me some help on those
problems.

Thanks in advance.

| JINGYI  ZHOU                     | E-mail:                                 |
| Graduate Student                 |   BITNET:   136821307@VUVAXCOM.BITNET   |
| Detp of Comp. Sci.               |   INTERNET: jyzhou@tiger.vill.edu       |
| Villanova University PA 19087    |   Voice  Phone  : 215-687-2411          |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 19:36:50 CST
From: Raul V Ramirez Velarde <PA251678%TECMTYVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Extended memory

  Hello, Maybe someone can help. Does any body know how to request
extended memory from a extended memory manager like Himem.sys?  I know
that the manager is a device like any other so maybe there are some
important interrups. Thanks in any case.

Raul V Ramirez Velarde
pa251678@tecmtyvm.bitnet
pa251678@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 91 12:49:54 MEZ
From: Herbert Pfeifer <A44221BA%AWIUNI11@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Multitasking question

Does anybody know, if it is possible and rentable to connect an IBM-PC
with a second terminal? I have a 386 SX, and I would like to do so,
that it will be possible to work at the same time with independent
virtual machines using the same harddisk. Do you know anything about
it, have you worked on similar systems? Please contact me.

Thank you
Herbert Pfeifer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1991 10:54:16 EDT
From: D_NIBBY@UNHH.UNH.EDU
Subject: parallel port

Hi.
I had a question I wondered if you or any of the list subscribers might
be able to help me with. I want to wire up my parallel port so that the
computer thinks there is a printer present, w/o blowing something out.
I want to attach l.e.d.'s to data bits 0 and 1, and then send chr$
characters to them to make them turn on and off independently. Is it
possible to do this, if so, how, and if not, is there some other way?
Thanks. Any help we be greatly appreciated. I'm lost!

   Peace,
   Dana

   internet address:  "D_nibby@unhh.unh.edu"
   bitnet address:    "D_nibby@unhh"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 91 10:07:28 IST
From: Nir Nathansohn <NIRN@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL>
Subject: Quattro Pro .CLP files

Hello All,

I am interested in .CLP files for QUATTRO PRO's annotator, other than
those supplied in the original package.

I would also like to know if there is any program translating graphics
from any other known graphic forms (GIF, PIC etc.) to CLP format.

                 Thanks,
                 athansohn

E-Mail: NIRN@TAUNIVM

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 91 09:39:00 EDT
From: "TOM BENNETT" <tbennett@media.avs.uakron.edu>
Subject: Repair vs Replacement cost of Personal Computers

I am trying to compile a set of figures for the maintenance, useful
life, resale market and the like for PC's (ms-dos based systems).  We
are interested in anything that will help us put together a profile of
average cost per year of age, value of service contracts over the
useful life of the unit and the like.

Please send the mail directly to me and I will post the summary the
list.  Thank you in advance for the help.

Tom Bennett   TBENNETT@UAKRON.EDU
              (216)972-6102 OFFICE
              (216)972-6383 FAX

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #107