Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/04/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 28 Apr 91       Volume 91 : Issue 103

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  1.2M Drives as 360K drives (2 msgs)
                          3.5" drive in an XT
         alternatives to SIMTEL20 for IBM PC archives (2 msgs)
                     Putting Comments in CONFIG.SYS
                              Fortran 386
LAN and accessing drives (2 msgs)
                         Optional EPROM on PC's
                  Tools for viewing SIMIBM.IDX on a PC
                            UFGate Software
                        UNIX text files (2 msgs)

Today's Queries:
                    ASCII-characters in Windows 3.0
                   fast sorter for large ascii files
                          Help with GIF format
                     Turbo C 2.0 Memory Management
                       X-Windows for DOS machines

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 10:08:56 BRA
From: Carlos Goulart <COS99297%UFRJ.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: 1.2M Drives as 360K drives

   Questions about 1.2M drives always arise in this list, and here goes
mine: can I use a 1.2M as a 360K drive normally, that is, configuring
it to act as a 360K drive? This way I would not have any problems like
writing in a 1.2M drive and not get reading it in 360K drive (this last
problem was discussed sometime ago in PCTECH).

   The computer I use is a 386 that forbid me configuring at setup this
drive as a 360K. I thought using in config.sys the undocumented
DRIVPARM, but as I don't know its parameters I didn't try it.

   Another question: without changing anything in the 1.2M drive, FORMAT
has some parameter to format a disk as a 360K?

Bye,

  Carlos

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 20:44:11 +0200
From: Shahar Steiff <cerrlss%TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL@uga.cc.uga.edu>

>    Questions about 1.2M drives always arise in this list, and here goes
> mine: can I use a 1.2M as a 360K drive normally, that is, configuring
> it to act as a 360K drive? This way I would not have any problems like
> writing in a 1.2M drive and not get reading it in 360K drive (this last
> problem was discussed sometime ago in PCTECH).

Configuring the drive as a 360K drive will not solve the problem of read
errors on 360K diskettes that were written in a 1.2 drive while read in
30K drives. The problem is caused by the different size of the drive's
head.

>    The computer I use is a 386 that forbid me configuring at setup this
> drive as a 360K. I thought using in config.sys the undocumented
> DRIVPARM, but as I don't know its parameters I didn't try it.

If I remember correctly, then DRIVEPARM only works with DOS 3.2 .

>    Another question: without changing anything in the 1.2M drive, FORMAT
> has some parameter to format a disk as a 360K?

Trt FORMAT A: /4
This will format the disk to 360K. I would not recommend this method,
especially not with used diskettes, as the diskette might not be usable
on 360K driv.

Good luck.

* Shahar Steiff  *  Dept. of Chem.Eng., Technion IIT, Haifa, ISRAEL *
* Phone:(+)972-4-459536   Fax.(+)972-4-444012   TLX:45182 PALRAM IL *
* E-Mail:cerrlss@techunix.technion.ac.il    cetek63@technion.bitnet *
* Snail-Mail: Kibbutz Ramat-Yochanan, 30035, Israel                 *

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1991 12:36:00 -0400
From: Rod Nussbaumer <BOMR@TRIUMFER>
Subject: 3.5" drive in an XT

>Your Xt will not recognize a 3.5" drive unless you set up a device
>called driver.sys in your config.sys file.  This device comes with DOS
>3.2 and up.  DOS 3.2 driver.sys will work only with 720k drives.  Check
>your DOS manual for the syntax.  If you have no drive d: one usually
>sets the 3.5" to d:

        Not completely accurate.  You can use the DRIVPARM entry in
CONFIG.SYS to adjust the configuration of a block device. I do this on
a IBM PC with a 720K drive installed as drive A:.  My DRIVPARM entry
looks like this:

                DRIVPARM=/d:0/f:2

        which makes drive A: recognized as a 720K drive.  If this entry
is in the CONFIG.SYS on a bootable floppy, I can even use it as the
boot drive.  I did exactly that for years, until I got a hard disk.  If
you do go the DRIVER.SYS route, you can always use the DOS ASSIGN
program to make the drive D: back into a logical drive A:.  One
advantage of the DRIVPARM method is that you will be able to FORMAT A:
as a 720K drive, as opposed to the DRIVERS.SYS, which has to be used as
drive D: for certain things.

Rod Nussbaumer, Programmer/Technologist         Bitnet: BOMR@TRIUMFER
TRIUMF --- University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, BC, Canada                   Internet: bomr@erich.triumf.ca

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 18:35:00 EDT
From: Herbert Lin <HLIN%NAS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: alternatives to SIMTEL20 for IBM PC archives

is there another source for these other than simtel20 but ALSO on
Internet?  Simtel20 is still quite overloaded...

thanks.
hl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 04:45:54 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Alternatives to SIMTEL20for IBM PC Software

There are several.  Here's a list.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest

List obtained from <odin@pilot.njin.net> via comp.sources

cc.sfu.ca                     128.189.32.250  msdos, mac
                              08/22/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
doc.cso.uiuc.edu              128.174.33.105  msdos (pcsig), mac
                              05/15/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
f.ms.uky.edu                  128.163.128.6   mac, msdos, unix-pc
                              08/22/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu        128.153.13.196  Opus BBS, msdos, graphics,
                                              comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
                                              Freemacs, packet drivers
                              08/22/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
iesd.auc.dk                   130.225.48.4    amiga, mac, msdos, myth
                              08/05/90  -2    anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
lindy.stanford.edu            36.54.0.11      msdos samson
                              08/22/90  7     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
mtsg.ubc.ca                   137.82.27.1     msdos, unix, amiga, os2
                              08/22/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
nic.funet.fi                  128.214.6.100   GNU, X11, networking, msdos,
                                              mac, amiga, atari, security
                                              docs and software,
                                              cryptography stuff, sony news
                                              software
                              08/22/90  -3    anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
novell.macc.wisc.edu          128.104.30.31   MOKE (kanji/kana editor for
                                              Msdos)
                              08/22/90  5     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
orc.olivetti.com              129.189.192.20  msdos fax netinfo rfc
                              05/31/90  7     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
peace.waikato.ac.nz           130.217.64.62   anu-news gnu msdos mac ncsa
                                              x11r4
                              08/22/90  -1    anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
plains.nodak.edu              134.129.111.64  apple, msdos, mac, amiga,
                                              ascii pics,
                                              comp.sys.handhelds, hp-28
                                              list archives
                              05/15/90  5     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
procyon.cis.ksu.edu           129.130.10.80   sun fixes, old xbbs, old
                                              citadel, u3g toolkit, old
                                              unix-pc, pd modula2, msdos,
                                              mac, amiga, misc
                              11/25/90  5     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
quiche.cs.mcgill.ca           132.206.2.3     recursive listing of all ftp
                              132.206.51.1    sites, msdos, bible, Hubble
                                              GIF images
                              06/16/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de   129.69.1.12     RFCs, X11, atari, amiga,
                                              msdos, unix, mathematics
                                              (Fortran)
                              05/15/90  -2    anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
schizo.samsung.com            134.228.1.2     alt.sources,
                                              comp.sources.games,
                                              comp.sources.misc,
                                              comp.sources.sun,
                                              comp.sources.unix,
                                              comp.sources.x, GNU, usenet
                                              news sw, unix mail sw,
                                              networking sw, msdos, gifs,
                                              RFCs
                              09/22/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
terminator.cc.umich.edu       141.211.164.8   xscheme, msdos, atari,
                                              sysadmin archive
                              08/22/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
um.cc.umich.edu               35.1.1.43       msdos, mac, apple, atari
                              10/15/90  4     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
vaxb.acs.unt.edu              129.120.1.4     vms, internet libraries list,
                                              msdos, amiga, midi, network
                                              info, articles
                              08/22/90  5     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
vega.hut.fi                   130.233.200.42  msdos, mac, Kermit, fusion
                                              docs, food recipes (alt.
                                              gourmand), SF author lists,
                                              os2
                              05/15/90  -3    anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil        26.2.0.74       msdos, unix, cpm, mac (tenex)
                              08/22/90  6     anonymous/odin@pilot.njin.net
wuarchive.wustl.edu           128.252.135.4   GNU, X.11R3, GIF, IEN, RFCs,
                                              TeX, UUPC, info-mac,
                                              4.3BSD-Tahoe,
                                              comp.binaries.amiga,
                                              comp.binaries.apple2,
                                              comp.binaries.atari.st,
                                              comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
                                              comp.sources.amiga,
                                              comp.sources.atari.st,
                                              comp.sources.games,
                                              comp.sources.misc,
                                              comp.sources.sun,
                                              comp.sources.unix,
                                              comp.sources.x, msdos,
                                              simtel20, elm (24 hours/day)

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1991 10:42:00 -0400
From: Rod Nussbaumer <BOMR@TRIUMFER>
Subject: Comments in CONFIG.SYS

>Subject: PUTTING COMMENTS IN CONFIG.SYS

>Can anyone tell me how I can put comments in my config.sys file without
>getting errors appearing on the screen. I have tried several methods,
>including * at the beginning of the line, a REM statement, etc. If you
>can help or suggest another method please get in touch with,

        Prior to DOS 4.0 (or was it 3.3?) there was no documented way
of commenting a CONFIG.SYS.  However, there is a way to do a form of
commenting, which makes use of a couple of traits of MS-DOS.  Using a
text editor which has the capability to enter control characters into a
document, enter a Ctrl-Z (Hex 1B, CHR$(26) ) at the END of the portion
of the file you want DOS to read.  Anything following the Ctrl-Z will
be ignored, allowing you to write whatever comments you want.  Granted,
the comments don't appear right next to each specific line, but better
than nothing.  Another use for this technique is to store multiple
versions of CONFIG.SYS in a single file, separated by Ctrl-Z's.  Only
the portion of CONFIG.SYS before the first Ctrl-Z is executed by DOS.
A quick block move with an editor, and you've got a 'new' CONFIG.SYS.
This technique works with AUTOEXEC.BAT (all batch files, in fact),
although commenting is already supported in batch files.  BTW, I use
Qedit for doing this stuff, and I recommend it.

  Rod Nussbaumer, Programmer/Technologist       Bitnet: BOMR@TRIUMFER
  TRIUMF --- University of British Columbia,  Internet: bomr@erich.triumf.ca
  Vancouver, BC, Canada.                         Phone: (604)222-1047 ext 510

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 17:12:13 ADT
From: DWright%CY830.CC.ACADIAU.CA@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: Fortran 386

Our mainframe is going to be displaced within the next year or so.  I
plan to switch most of my number crunching that I used to do on the
Cyber by transferring my programs to a 386 micro.  All these programs
use Fortran but some are fairly large up to 6 MB or so.  Does anyone
have any recommendations for Fortran compilers and DOS extenders that
run within DOS or Windows (or Desqview)that will allow me to run large
programs.

I currently use Microsoft's Fortran 4.0 for some limited programming on
my micro.(Currently an IBM AT at work and AT clone at home)

Also, are there any toolkits etc. for creating menus, windows, graphs
etc. for Fortran compilers (or other compilers)?

 Don Wright                            DWRIGHT@Ace.AcadiaU.CA
 School of Business Administration     DWRIGHT@AcadiaU.CA
 Acadia University
 Wolfville, N.S., Canada    B0P 1X0    Phone: (902) 542-2201

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 13:57:46 EDT
From: Dan Newcombe <STDN%MARIST.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: LAN and accessing drives

We have a Network here that has 6 nodes. On the server is a hard drive
that is D:   Each of the servers refer to this hard drive as F:  Is
there a way to access this drive from DOS, outside of all of the LAN
packages?  Thank you..

  =Dan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 14:53:45 CET
From: "Thomas F. Pockberger" <aets-kja-a-ao3@ANSBACH-EMH1.ARMY.MIL>

Normally not, depending on what LAN NOS you are running. We have BANYAN
VINES and a user has to be loged in to be able to use ANY network
sources.

Pocky

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1991 12:48:00 -0400
From: Rod Nussbaumer <BOMR@TRIUMFER>
Subject: Optional EPROM on PC's

>I would like to add an EPROM with some specialized code on some PC's.
>I need to find what DOS requires to do this. I know that BIOS scans
>memory between c8000 and e0000 in 2 K blocks for the 2 bytes 55 AA. But
>I only have sketchy information on lengths, far jumps, CRC's and
>returning back to BIOS. I really could use more information. Does
>anyone know where more information could be found? Any help would be
>appreciated.

From the IBM PC Tech Ref Manual: The ROM BIOS provides a facility to
integrate adapter cards with on-board ROM code inot the system.  During
the POST, interrupt vectors are established for the BIOS calls.  After
the default  vectors are in place, a scan for additional ROM modules
takes place.  At this point, a ROM routine on the adapter card may gain
control.  The routine may establish or intercept interrupt vectors to
hook themselves into the system.

The absolute adresses hex C8000 through F4000 are scanned in 2K blocks
in search of a valid adapter card ROM.  A valid ROM is defined as
follows:

        Byte 0:  Hex 55
        Byte 1:  Hex AA
        Byte 2:  A length indicator representing the number of 512 byte
blocks in the ROM (length / 512 ).  A checksum is also done to test the
integrity og the ROM module.  Each byte in the defined ROM is summed
modulo 100 hex.  This sum must be 0 for the module to be deemed valid.

When the POST identifies a valid ROM, it does a FAR CALL to byte 3 of
the ROM (which should be executable code).  The adapter card may now
carry on its power-on initialization tasks.  The feature ROM should
return control to the BIOS routines by executing a FAR RETURN.  End
quote.

        Bitnet: BOMR@TRIUMFER   Internet: bomr@erich.triumf.ca

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 91 15:59:00 CST
From: "APACHE::COOPER" <cooper%apache.decnet@hqhsd.brooks.af.mil>
Subject: Tools for viewing SIMIBM.IDX on a PC

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 19:18:51 EDT
> From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

> In a recent Info-IBMPC digest Greg Hicks <GHicks@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> said:
> > My copy of Norton Editor can't handle the SIMIBM.IDX file (Listing of
> > Programs available from the MSDOS Archives from WSMR.SIMTEL20) at one
> > shot.  I have to delete x number of lines at the beginning of the file
> > in order to get the rest to load.  However, I just live with this
> > restriction because NE is such a small nice (quick and dirty??) editor.
> > Like you, I'm just a satisfied user.  gph]
>
> Greg, have you tried Vernon Buerg's LIST program?
etc, etc, ...

I have written a program in CLIPPER '87 to work with SIMIBM.IDX.  With
it, you view single records and can step thru them forwards or
backwards.  You can also do searches (filename or file description).
It also prints the data on the screen or by a search word.  It is
crude; the search doesn't look for whole words, it picks up all
occurrences of the string supplied; the print function prints the data
as it appears on the screen.  Even though, I think it is fairly decent.
I don't have to manually enter the commands as you would have to do
with LIST or NE or whatever.  BTW, some Lt. out there at WSMR wrote one
also (but I didn't care for it).  Now for the $64,000 question.  How do
I upload it (along with some small amount of docs and other supporting
files)?  Will this do for an entry in INFO-IBMPC or should I write
another one after uploading the file(s)?  You have my o.k. to edit this
for the digest.

	|  ____/|  BILL the Cat  |  Jim Cooper           |
	|  \'O_o|  1980 -- 1983  |  Programmer/Analyst   |
	|   (_|_)  1984 --       |  Armstrong Laboratory |
	|     U                  |  Brooks AFB, TX       |
	|    cooper%apache.decnet@hqhsd.brooks.af.mil    |

------------------------------

Date: 20 Apr 91 17:58:02 GMT
From: mark@misgate.wciu.EDU (Mark Patterson)
Subject: UFGate Software

> Does anyone involved with Fido-Net and FrontDoor software have access
>to a program called UFGate to allow us to connect with a ProLine board
>here in Midland?  We have seen many message regarding the program and
>its use but have not been able to find a copy of it.  Any help would be
>great!  Thanks

You can get UFGate 1.03 (latest version) from lots of places around the
country, but the most local I know of is at a board in Tujunga, CA.
You could either call the BBS direct at 818-352-2993 or send mail to
heess@mcws.fidonet.org.  I run FD and UFGate here, but lost the
original archive for UFGate in a hard disk crash and never replaced it.

Hope this helps.

Mark Patterson - via Global Mission Network node 12:2000/9
UUCP: {elroy|cit-vax}!wciu!misgate!mark
INTERNET: mark@misgate.wciu.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 14:39:40 EDT
From: Dan Newcombe <STDN%MARIST.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: UNIX text files

I have some UNIX text files that when I convert to ASCII or bring down
to a PC are all messed up as far as spacing goes. Any idea how to fix
this.

  -Dan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 13:43:00 EST
From: Deacon Blues <RATLIFF%IPFWCVAX.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

> From: Dsn Newcombe <STDN@MARIST.bitnet>
> To:   "Mark H. Ratliff" <RATLIFF@IPFWCVAX.BITNET>

> I have some UNIX text files that when I convert to ASCII or bring down
> to a PC are all messed up as far as spacing goes. Any idea how to fix
> this.

First of all, how are you presently trying to transfer the files?  What
I would like to know is if you are transfering them throught some
transfer protocol or are you just using a kermit ascii transfer.  If
you use kermit, you should be able to set conversion of LF to CR/LF and
possibly tabs to spaces.  LF and tabs usualy are the culprits in most
message up  text transfers.  If you are using a transfer protocol then
there will be no conversion of characters.  Let me know more.  I am
interested...

Mark H. Ratliff
Indiana-Purdue Univ. Ft Wayne,  IN
Bitnet      Ratliff@ipfwcvax
Internet    Ratliff@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 91 15:36 +0200
From: <schickram%vax1.rz.uni-regensburg.dbp.de@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: ASCII-characters in Windows 3.0

Does anybody know, how to display IBM-ASCII characters with codes over
128 in MS - Windows 3.0 ?  I believe it is able with OEM - Fonts, but
don't know much about this topic.

Thanks.
Michael Schickram

My adress:

DFN: schickram@rrzv1.rz.uni-regensburg.dbp.de
INTERNET: schickram%rrzv1.rz.uni-regensburg.dbp.de@relay.cs.net
UUCP: schickram%rrzv1.rz.uni-regensburg.dbp.de@unido
BitNet: MAILER@DFNGATE (with BSMTP envelope in PUNCH)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 91 12:45:55 EET
From: spel@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dr. E.W. Lisse)
Subject: fast sorter for large ascii files

can someone point me to a fast file sorter for large ascii files?

I have tried Timo Salmi's spelling checker TSCHEK to spell check LaTeX
files. I have DeLaTeX but it does not work very well so I was looking
for some other solution.

I took the commands from LTeX.TeX removed the backslashes and all
internal commands (The are marked with a @ somewhere) and pu the rest
into a file NEW.LST.

CAT SPELLED3.DNY NEW.LST | lc | sort/s | uniq > c:\lib\spell.srt

should do the trick (lc is a tube pascal lowercaser (5 min programming
time only)).

My PD sorter (old but quick) unfortunately sorts

things
thing

instead of the required

thing
things

SO it doesn't work. I used PCFile to sort the stuff poperly but this is
not the way big blue intened it to work, now that they faked us some
pipes :-)-O

Where (host and subdirectory) is the ultimate file sorter that can
survive 20.000 lines in a straight ASCII file and does it timely.

the figures for the pd sort.com:

sorted ascii file lower case only on a 20ms hard drive; 127288 bytes
13218 records, 232618 comparisons 56.63 seconds (half of it reading and
writing)

If someone has got it online please let me know and Ill order it
specificall so not ten people email it (optimist, ain't I)

You can also answer to the list, as I do subscribe to the group :-)-O

thanks, el

Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse       (spel@hippo.ru.ac.ZA)
Katatura State Hospital     (formerly extel@quagga.ru.ac.za)
Private Bag 13215           (Real Soon Now ...  el@lisse.NA)
Windhoek, Namibia           (no FTP yet. [This is Africa :-)-O])

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1991 8:13:41 CDT
From: KUMAR@KELVAX.TAMU.EDU (Dvq't B|g mh)
Subject: Help with GIF format

  I am looking for Microsoft compatible source code in `C' and/or
assembly language to decode and view a gif file on the PCs. I have
tried almost all the `C' source programs at SIMTEL in the GIF
directory, but ran into problems with each one of them. If someone has
done a similar work, or knows where to get the routines, would you
please e-mail me the information.

	Also, a color tiff file doesn't seem to have a fixed format from one
software to another. Is there any public domain source code in `C' and
ASM around (compatible with Microsoft) which will take care of all the
fairly standard color tags of a tiff file ?

	Thank you.

	  - Kumar

	INTERNET - tpradeep@cs.tamu.edu
		 - manager@ento.tamu.edu
	BITNET	 - kumar@tamento
	YELLNET  - (409)845-2110

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 13:34 MET
From: KUMARA%rulcri.LeidenUniv.nl@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Subject: Turbo C 2.0 Memory Management

Hello everybody in PC-World (specially those in Turbo-C land)...

Last semester I was confronted with Turbo-C (version 2.0) for the first
time in my life. This semester I have to make some programs to process
images on a Hercules Station Graphics Card with a Tiga Interface. This
means that I have to keep track of host memory closely....  Using the
function coreleft() (prototype in alloc.h) I checked everywhere where
hostmemory was involved. If all goes well, the number given by
coreleft() at the beginning of my program, should be the same as the
number returned by coreleft() at the very end of my program. Or am I
*DEADLY* wrong? Anyway, I discoverd the following:

When using scanf, hostmemory is allocated, and not given free.  My
questions are: Is scanf allocating memory indeed and if so, what is
used for (is it used as a buffer or something) ? Why is this memory not
given free?  When using scanf for the second time, no memory is
allocated (not even when using a different variable), why is that?  To
demonstrate my problem I included the following:

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
   int  dummy1;                      /* just to read something */
   char dummy2[10];                  /* just to read something */

   printf ("%u\n", coreleft());      /* memory left before calling scanf */
   scanf ("%i", &dummy1);
   printf ("%u\n", coreleft());      /* memory after 1st call to scanf   */
   scanf ("%i", &dummy2);
   printf ("%u\n", coreleft());      /* memory after 2nd call to scanf   */
}

My last question: Does someone have a good recommendation for a book on
C ?  I'm interested in the more technical sides of C, like the
implementations of the standard functions, memory management by Turbo-C
etc. etc.  I am using Turbo-C 2.0 from our local network at the campus,
so I don't have the manuals and documentations provided by Borland.
Until now, I'm using "Turbo-C the complete reference" by Herbert
Schildt from Borland*Osborne/ McGraw*Hill. I think it's a good
reference when looking for the prototypes and that sort of stuff, but
it doesn't answer the questions I'm always stuck with...

                                        | Oeta Kumara |
                           +------------+-------------+-------------+
                           | Bitnet:         kumara@hlerul5z.bitnet |
                           | Internet:  kumara@rulcri.LeidenUniv.nl |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 15:00:19 IST
From: CETEK63%TECHNION.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu
Subject: X-Windows for DOS machines

Does anyone have any experience with an implementation of X-Windows on
DOS machines ?  Has any one seen a DOS machine operate as a graphical
terminal for a UNIX based mainframe ?

My problem: I'm trying to use a 386sx + VGA + HD + 4MB RAM as a graphic
terminal (or an X-terminal) to a SUN 4/490 UNIX machine.  The two are
connected through an EtherNet cable.  The software I want to use is
"Mathematica" (which has a DOS implementation as well, but I want the
UNIX version).

Any help welcome.
                                Shahar.

* Shahar Steiff  *  Dept. of Chem.Eng., Technion IIT, Haifa, ISRAEL *
* Phone:(+)972-4-459536   Fax.(+)972-4-444012   TLX:45182 PALRAM IL *
* E-Mail:cerrlss@techunix.technion.ac.il    cetek63@technion.bitnet *
* Snail-Mail: Kibbutz Ramat-Yochanan, 30035, Israel                 *

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #103
-------