Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/12/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 11 May 91       Volume 91 : Issue 118

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                Administrivia - SIMTEL20 address change
                       Computer folklore (3 msgs)
            Apple to IBM -- apple works to ASCII (V91 #101)
                    Re: IDE HD and NetWare (V91 #99)
                    Problem decompressing unix file
                     uupc-questions@kendra.kew.com

Today's Queries:
                          best prices on SIMMs
              comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest Research information
                                Geoworks
                           Laptop info wanted
                       Preventing Floppy boot-up
                  Subjective difference: 25 vs. 33 MHz
                             Ultima 6 cheat

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 3 May 1991  03:36 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Administrivia - SIMTEL20 address change

The new primary address for WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL is 192.88.110.20,
with our Class A MILNET address, 26.2.0.74, as our secondary address.

We expect the secondary 26.2.0.74 Class A connection to MILNET to be
DISCONNECTED on or about 20 May so that we can use that in-house
circuit to meet a WESTNET-provided circuit to NSFNET.

Please replace all references to 26.2.0.74 with 192.88.110.20 now, so
you don't get an unreachable after 20 May and wonder why.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 91 09:43:57 EDT
From: Joe Morris <jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Computer folklore

INFO-IBMPC 91:104 included a note on IBM 1620 folklore and your (gph)
response with some personal experiences with that beastie.  (So you,
too, had to deal with the 1620 mod 1...the mod 2 had *gasp* HARDWARE
ADDERS!)  I could tell a wonderful story about the reason IBM issued an
urgent engineering change to the mod 1, putting a guard on the right
side of the console typewriter...

Readers who wish to indulge their taste for nostalga might want to
start following the 'alt.folklore.computers' discussion group on
usenet; it's an unmoderated group where you can find some of the most
amazing trivia this crazy business has spawned.  A current thread, for
example, is speculation on the proper pronunication and etymology of
"kludge"; earlier this year we were trying to find the etymology of
"foo".  Stories about the 7030 STRETCH machine are also on special this
week.

Joe Morris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 91 08:26:14 CDT
From: Charlie Turner <CHARLIE%UMVMA.bitnet@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU>

On Sun, 28 Apr 91 01:04:30 +0200 Info-IBMPC Digest said:

>Date: Mon, 22 Apr 91 10:50:12 MDT
>From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
>Subject: 1610

>Didn't know that anyone had ever heard of the 1620.  or the 7090, or
>7040, 7044, et al...

My computing career started in high school with a 1620 back in '64.
Occasionally I'll see one of my friends from those days and we'll see
who can remember the most 1620 machine op-codes (26 transmit field, 31
transmit record, etc.).

As primitive as the 1620 was in some ways, I think it also was a good
machine for learning programming. It helped that the machine language,
and in fact all the numbers in memory, were stored as decimal!

These days with schools awash in PCs, I wonder if anyone bothers to
learn assembly language any more? It has to be more difficult on a
80xxx micro than on the venerable old 1620!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 17:37:59 PDT
From: manley@geo.lbl.gov (Oscar Manley [ams doe])

Greg H, I did not know that to have been near a 1620 was such a big
deal.  Until the PC's appeared that was the only computer that I had
hands on experience with.  We used it extensively for analyzing data
gathered in the Pacific during the last (1962) High Altitude Test
series.  It was also when I learned to distrust computer "answers" to
problems for which no analysis had been carried out, eg using software
in parameter regimes for which it was not designed.  Lord, that was a
long time ago!

Oscar Manley.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 10:34:36 PDT
From: "David C. Barber" <dbarber%pnet01.cts.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Apple to IBM -- apple works to ASCII (V91 #101)

>Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 12:26:19 +1000
>From: c8921212@nucssun1.newcastle.edu.au (Luke Plaizier)

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest you write:

>>   Does anyone know if there is an easy way to convert Apple Works
>>files to ASCII and then convert them over to an IBM format using an
>>Apple 2e.  I have heard that it is possible on a MAC, but I am not
>>familiar at all with apple computers.  I thought about sending the
>>apple files to a VAX and then downloading them on an IBM, but how would
>>I get the software to run the apple with my modem (without spending
>>money of course).

>  Actually, there is a program around that lets an ibm read apple
>disks, but I'm afraid I saw that last year sometime and wouldn't have a
>clue as to what it was called or where to find it.

The program is called 22DISK, and is on a number of BBS's.

                                        *David Barber*

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!dbarber
ARPA: crash!pnet01!dbarber@nosc.mil
INET: dbarber@pnet01.cts.com

------------------------------

Date: 2 May 91 08:51:49 GMT
From: mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski)
Subject: Re: IDE HD and NetWare (V91 #99)

marc@isy.liu.se (Marc Ahlse) writes:

>Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>Shouldn't cause you any problems as long as you can use a drive
>description in ROM, which Novell DEMANDS. I had to modify my BIOS in
>order to get an entry matching my HD (Toshiba 100Mb IDE).

>Marc Ahlse marc@isy.liu.se

Novell is a bit problematic with AT-IDE harddisks. You will have
problems, if you don't have right type of HD in your BIOS setup, but
you are using 'AUTO-type' or manual setted HD-types.

It really also seems, that Novell needs physical parameters of HD to be
complete installed. With AT-IDE harddisks it is not possible.

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 May 91 15:14:25 SST
From: Vincent Chan <ENGP0017%NUSVM.bitnet@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU>
Subject: Problem decompressing unix file

Recently I obtained a file from a server which has been compressed(.Z
ext).  I downloaded COMPRS12.ARC from simtel and try decompressing the
file but it gave me this error: Compressed with 16 bits. Can only
handle 12 bits.

I tried the -b12 switch but it still didn't work. Any solution? Or is
there a compress/decompress file that can handle 16 bits?  Thanx.

[You need to grab the COMPRS16.ARC program...]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 May 1991 00:00:47 EDT
From: Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/Extended Help Desk <help@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: uupc-questions@kendra.kew.com

I now have a second account for UUPC related questions.  While I have
been know to carry on threads from most of my accounts here on kendra
(except Snuffle's account; she'd bearly let me live ...) and even
switch accounts in the middle, sending your mail to the correct place
helps a lot.

  ahd@kendra.kew.com is my own account, and generally should not
be used to originate UUPC related conversations.  (If I reply from
there, you can reply to it, of course ...) My account on tamara is a
shadow of this.

  help@kendra.kew.com is for reporting UUPC bugs and the
distribution of code questions.  Contributions of new code also go
here.

  uupc-questions@kendra.kew.com is for all other questions
specifically to me.  (Steve, most of your recent mail should go there.)
A lot of mail to help should go to uupc-questions.

  uupc-info-request@sun.soe.clarkson.edu is to request changes to
the mailing list.

REAL good places for questions, because _I_ don't have to field all of
them giving you a faster, better reply.

In any case, due to the press of outside business I'm not going answer
ANY mail for a few days.  Keep sending it, if Snuffles doesn't reply to
it (she wants time off too, too much UUPC polarizes her thinking ...)
I'll answer it when I've decompressed and otherwise caught up on life.
:-)

-ahd-

p.s. Snuffles wants to know if bears have to pay to get into the San
Diego zoo.  Some vacation she wants to visit her friends there.

p.p.s.  Snuffles is snuffles@kendra.kew.com.  Send Zoo mail there.

p.p.p.s.  I CLEARLY need to ignore UUPC/extended for a while ...

Drew Derbyshire         "Send me your bug reports, your hacks, your ..."

All UUPC mail:  help@kendra.kew.com     U.S. Snail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Personal mail:  ahd@kendra.kew.com                  Arlington, MA 02714
Disclaimer:     If I could type, I'd be dangerous.

------------------------------

Date: 02 May 91 18:08 GMT
From: "Disini SW" <D1749%applelink.apple.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: best prices on SIMMs

hello all. i would like to buy a large volume of 1 meg SIMMs (80ns
w/parity) and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get the best
prices? i've scoured the pages of BYTE magazine and PC Magazine, and i
get the feeling that there must be better prices out there (i've seen
$39/SIMM prices on Mac SIMMs at 70ns).  i am posting this from manila,
so if any respondents could perhaps include a fax number, postal
address, or even an e-mail address i would appreciate it very much!

thanks,
joel disini

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 May 91 16:01:11 EDT
From: Jean-Eloi Dussartre <dussart@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest Research information

 I need help. I bought a computer 18 months ago from Omega Systems
in Indiana (South Bend). Since then, the company seems to have gone out
of business.  Now, I want to add more the RAM but I am missing critical
documentation: motherboard manuals.  The company never sent it to me.

 I hope I am not the only one who bought from this company. So if you
know about my hardware please e-mail me at dussart@Athena.Mit.Edu.

  I have opened my case look for any name / numbers, I browsed through
the ROM... All I know is the following:

  Computer: 386 SX from Omega System.
  Company : Omega Systems 1819 S. Ironwood Dr. south Bend IN 46613

  The motherboard  is marked ELT-386 SX, the motherboard has two banks
of switch.  There is a memory board marked QEC Made In Taiwan, it has
three jumpers and it accepts both simms and Dram (up to 4 mega).  The
company avertised that the computer whose built around the Neat Chip
Set, BIOS is Award Bios.

  Please help me find about this hardware or give me a lead to solve my
memory problem.

                            ** J.E. Dussartre
                               (dussart@athena.mit.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 May 91 18:24:18 EDT
From: Lubos Elias <UTK01%CSEARN.BITNET@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Geoworks

  Please can you help me to find any contact on Geoworks company ?
Have you any experiences with Geoworks ?

  Thanks,
  Lubos Elias
  UTK01@CSEARN.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 16:13 PDT
From: Jeffrey P Nye <jp_nye@pnli.pnl.gov>
Subject: Laptop info wanted

    I am looking for an affordable, <$3K, laptop computer with the
following features:

          IBM DOS compatible
          20 to 40 Mbyte harddisk
          At least one 3.5" floppy
          1 to 4 Mbytes RAM
          VGA graphics

    Please let me know of your experiences with such machines, e.g.,
screen quality, keyboard layout, speed, etc.

          Thanks,

          JP Nye, Information Systems, Battelle PNL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 1991 22:18 EDT
From: PHANTOM <BRPLESHEK@MIAVX2.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU>
Subject: Preventing Floppy boot-up

I know that there was talk earlier about preventing floppy boot up on
drive A or B drive but I missed the most of the discussion.  Does
anyone have info, a program, or any other help on this topic.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Brian Pleshek
Padi Open Water #(I forgot)
Miami University, Ohio
Systems Analysis

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 08:51:00 EDT
From: "Kurt Schmidt" <KURT%SYBIL%RTI.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Subjective difference: 25 vs. 33 MHz

I am considering buying either a 25MHz or 33MHz computer RSN.  There is
fairly considerable, for me, difference in price between the two
speeds; except for the processor speed and the price difference the
machines would be identical.  My applications will cover a wide range,
including large spreadsheets, code compiling, some SPSS/PC+ or SAS or
similar statistical software, and databases (less than 4000 records in
a typical database).  I intend to eventually run UNIX on the machine,
but this would be at best a peripheral consideration.

I would appreciate your comments on whether, in your opinion, a 33 Mhz
system would show decided advatange in this kind of applications under
"real world" conditions.

Thanks in advance,
Kurt
| Internet: kurt@sybil.rti.org      | Kurt Schmidt                |
| Internet: kurt%sybil@rti.rti.org  | Research Triangle Institute |
| Bitnet:   KURT@RTI                | Research Triangle Park, NC  |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 91 15:17:58 PDT
From: 6600stro%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu
Subject: Ultima 6 cheat

 I would be interested in some information of the Cheat Menu On Ultima
6.  Like Items, Flags, and such... Since I have No Idea what I am
getting from it.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #118
-------