Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/14/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 14 May 91       Volume 91 : Issue 122

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                       AUTOEXEC & Unloading TSRs
                            Drive A: Problem
                           EPROM burner query
                       Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #107
                          Integration summary
                            Modem & AUTOEXEC
                        Re: New uploads (2 msgs)
               Point sizes in Desktop Publishers (2 msgs)
                       X-Windows for DOS machines

Today's Queries:
                        Archive Tape Backup/QIC
                             Delayed reboot
                          LCD Display problem
         Looking for Desqview compatible communications package
                           scanning software
                        Telnet driver for 3c503
                          Use of Extended RAM
                  Windows 3.0 consumes extended memory

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 7 May 91 11:12:08 EDT
From: moy@xp.psych.nyu.edu ()
Subject: AUTOEXEC & Unloading TSRs

Hi there--

  Let me get this straight--you are re-running the two TSR's (to unload
them from memory), along with a third program, from a batch file.  DOS
never gets beyond the invocation of the second TSR?  My guess is that
one of the TSRs, DOS and/or the command processor had its carpet pulled
out from under it, so to speak.  TSRs re-vector DOS interrupts when
they install themselves, in order to grab services they need to do
their thing.  They have to do a bit of footwork to restore the system
to its prior state when they unload.  You must unload TSRs in *reverse*
order--remove the last-installed TSR first!  If that fails, try using
MARK and RELEASE, which come with a group of wonderful programs.  I'm
sure they are available from SIMTEL20.

  Moy Wong, Dept. of Psychology, New York University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 91 10:56:25 EDT
From: moy@xp.psych.nyu.edu ()
Subject: Drive A: Problem

  The problem is probably related to the floppy drive failing to assert
the Disk Change line.  Disk Change is a feature on AT-class machines.
I guess it saves DOS having to re-read the FAT each time the diskette
is accessed, but can result in the bizarre behavior that you've
experienced.  The Disk Change line is pin 34 on the edge connector.
Some disk drives (especially 3-1/2" 720K) provide the option of
connecting this pin (for ATs), or leaving it open.  You may check the
cable, too, while you're at it, just to make sure line 34 isn't open
somewhere.

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 08:50:54 EDT
From: Curt <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: EPROM burner query

The lowest price unit I have seen that accomodates up to 1 meg chips
is by Modular Circuit Technology and marketed by JDR Microdevices at
800-538-5000.  A single chip burner is $119.95 and the PC host
adaptor card is $29.95 and occupies one slot.  The voltage range
is 5 up to 25 in 6 increments.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 21:39 MST
From: <BARTANA@CUBLDR.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #107

To the person with the noisy fax/modem card:

Not sure if this will work, but on my installation manual for my
fax/modem board, they suggested: "if possible, use the slot nearest the
side wall of your computer case. This slot is one that is the least
susceptible to picking up electrical noise made by other boards."

Hope this helps.
                        Ido Bar-Tana
bartana@boulder.colorado.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 16:33 EDT
From: "James D. Burnell, WVU Student" <UN034251@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU>
Subject: Integration summary

Hello networld,

Here as promised is my much belated summary of the responses I received
to my question about symbolic integration on computers.  I apologize,
especially to those who replied, that this response took so long, but
finals were starting to threaten....

Mr. Jim Kenyon (jkenyon@css.itd.umich.edu) and Mr. James Peregrino
(JPEREGRINO@HBSSTG.HARVARD.EDU) both suggested that I look for
"Numerical Recipes In {C, Pascal, FORTRAN, etc}."  The book appeared to
be an excellent source of numerical analysis algorithms, but since my
class was interested in symbolic (indefinite) integration, we could not
use it.

Mr. Guy Sirton (MLSIRTON@weizmann.weizmann.ac.il) and Mr. Manfred
Kremer (HLR002@DJUKFA11) both suggested that I look at the source code
for REDUCE, which was available on our local VM/CMS system.  Although
the system administrators did not think the source code would be
helpful (it's in LISP), they kindly let me photocopy references from
the REDUCE manual:

A.C. Norman and P.M.A. Moore, "Implementing the new Risch Algorithm",
PROC 4th International Symposium on Advanced Computer Math, CNRS,
Marseilles, 1971 (?) S.J. Harrington, "A new symbolic integration in
REDUCE", Computer Journal 22, 1979 2.

Mr. Sirton also sent these references from his online library:

004.0151-INT   International symposium ISSAC '88. Symbolic & algebraic
computation. Ed. by P. Gianni. 1989.  004.21-INT     International
Symposium DISCO '90.  Design & implementation of symbolic computation
systems. Ed. by A. Miola. 1990.  005.13-ABR     Abrahams, Paul W.
Symbol manipulation languages. 1968.  512.02854-C    Computer algebra:
symbolic & algebraic computation.  Ed. by B. Buchberger et al. 2d ed.
1983.  512.02854-C    Computer algebra: symbolic & algebraic
computation.  Ed. by B. Buchberger et al. 2d ed. 1983.  512.02854-C
Computer algebra: symbolic & algebraic computation.  Ed. by B.
Buchberger et al. 2d ed. 1983.  519.4-A        ACM Symposium on
Symbolic & Algebraic Computation, 1976. 1976.  519.4-I
International Symposium on Symbolic & Algebraic Computation, 1984.
EUROSAM 84.  Ed. by John Fitch. 1984.  519.4-I        International
Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation, Marseille, 1979.
EUROSAM '79. Ed. by Edward W. Ng. 1979.

Finally, Mr. Bruce Stephens (STEPHENS@mvb.scm.liverpool.ac.uk) of
the Centre for Mathematical Software Research recommended the source
for REDUCE and Maple, "The Computer Modelling of Mathematical Reasoning"
by Alan Bundy, ``On the Integration of Algebraic Functions,'' James
Harold Davenport, No. 102: Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
Springer-Verlag (1979), and source for the "Calc" calculator for
GNU Emacs (which we do not have here), by Dave Gillespie
(daveg@csvac.cs.caltech.edu), avaiable by anon FTP from
csvax.cs.caltech.edu.

I would like to thank Mr. Peregrino, Mr. Sirton, Mr. Kenyon, Mr.
Kremer, and Mr. Stephens for their input.  My teacher has suggested
that I study these algorithms as a summer honors project for next
summer, and I am strongly considering this option.

Sincerely,
James Burnell             UN034251WVNVMS          UN034251@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 91 10:47:33 EDT
From: moy@xp.psych.nyu.edu ()
Subject: Modem & AUTOEXEC

  The problem with your modem responding only part of the time to your
batch file commands may be hardware related.  Pay attention to the DSR
and CTS on the serial port.  The MODE command, by itself, does not
assert the handshaking lines.  I've seen this problem with software
like FastWire or LapLink, where a running copy of the program is
capable of "cloning" itself to another machine via the serial port,
where the port is supposedly initialized using MODE.  The transfer
sometimes fails, because the program never finds the PC's serial port
ready.  These lines have to be high when you COPY files to the COM
port.

  On the other hand, the modem itself may either not be ready, or may
be in data mode (not likely, but possible).  A well-behaved modem
should power on in the correct state.  "ATZ" is supposed to reset the
modem to its power-up state anyway.  Perhaps the modem has "fallen
back" to a lower baud rate?

  One of those inexpensive serial line indicators (less than $10) that
you can plug in between the modem and the PC should quickly reveal
what's going on.

Date: Wed, 08 May 91 09:25:55 IST
From: Ran Cheremsh <CHERMESH%BGUVM.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: New uploads

Kevin,
I don't see the needs for special issues of IBMPC-L for new uploads.
You can get the updated list anytime you like.  Here, in Israel, we're
connected to a trickle machine. Getting this list from the trickle
requires no more than sending the following line:

TELL TRICKLE /NEW <directory>

If I remember correctly from my experience at UCLA, there's a very
simmilar instruction to listserv.

Ran Chermesh                                  E - M A I L
Behavioral Sciences Dept.                     ===========
Ben-Gurion University                  Internet: CHERMESH@BGUVM.BGU.AC.IL
Beer-Sheva 84105                       Bitnet  : CHERMESH@BGUVM.BITNET
Israel

[I'll forward to the list as a whole the instructions for accessing
the Archives at WSMR-SIMTEL20.army.mil via E-Mail.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 91 07:57:00 EDT
From: "SI00::KELLYL" <kellyl%si00.decnet@v3.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: RE: New Uploads

Maintaining a separate list for uploads seems like it might be a lot of
overhead.  How about just putting all the upload stuff in one edition
(like the VAPORWARE column) but make the title obvious so you can scan
it in your unread messages.  Or maybe that's even more overhead.  I
really don't have any problem with the current system - but then I'm a
government employee with plenty of time to read the mail :) .  If this
is a vote, I vote for whichever way is the least work for our dedicated
(and almost certainly overworked) editor.

- Larry Kelly

[Not too sure about the overworked part although sometimes...

The count is now 4 against (with comments similar to Larry Kelly's and
Ran Chermesh's above) and 3 for the proposal.

Unless there is a bit more discussion, I'm planning to put the upload
messages that Keith forwards in a separate issue (as quantity
requires) and forward to the list as a whole.  This way, those of you
that don't want to read the notices of news uploads (although I,
personally, find them rather interesting) won't have to read them.
However, the length of the Digest is anticipated to remain rather
constant since I try and put 15-20 messages in each Digest.

Further comments?  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 17:28:57 IST
From: AER0201%TECHNION@TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL
Subject: Point Size in DTP

In V.95 # 105 Hwang Chien-Jong asked about point sizes in DTP.  Point
sizes are for proportional type so you cannot say how many characters
per inch because each character has a different width. It measures the
height of the capital letters which are uniform in h/size. Roughly 36
points is 3/8 of an inch 64 points is 3/4 of an inch and one inch size
letters are approximately 86 points.

As a roule 10 point size is used for printing books, 12 point type is
used for memos, reports, letters etc. and 7-8 point are used for sub
and super scripts; 5 points for sub-sub scripts and the rest 14pt 18
points etc for headings.

For using DTP's successfuly it is wise to consult a printer's handbook
such as CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE if I remember the name correctly.  Alex
Burcat Aerospace Eng. Technion, Haifa, Israel

------------------------------

Date: Tue May  7 11:37:29 BST 1991
From: Mike O'Carroll <mike@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: Point sizes in Desktop Publishers

There are 72 points to the inch (vertically).  Widths are usually
measured in "ems" where an em is roughly the width of the letter "m" in
the current point size (it is used since the letter m is the fattest).
More precisely an em in size p is p points.  Other units are "ens",
where en = em/2 and "picas" (== 1/6 inch).

Disclaimer: I am not a typesetter - this information was picked up by
osmosis.

Mike O'Carroll, Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,
    The University, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
E-mail: @ukc.ac.uk:mike@ee.leeds[.ac.uk]
uucp:  ...!mcsun!ukc!lena!mike OR mike@lena.uucp
earn:   mike%ee.leeds@earn-relay.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: 6 May 91 12:18:34 GMT
From: sunatb!bodifee@nluug.nl (Peter Bodifee)
Subject: X-Windows for DOS machines

CETEK63%TECHNION.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with an implementation of X-Windows on
>DOS machines ?  Has any one seen a DOS machine operate as a graphical
>terminal for a UNIX based mainframe ?

I have seen people in our company using a product called LOCUS Xsight,
which is a X server running under DOS. The product was delivered by the
people who delivered their hardware (Olivetti I think). My first
impressions was very good, did not have the time (yet) to get my hands
on it.

Peter

e-mail: {uunet}!hp4nl!bsovax!sunatb!bodifee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 00:13 AST
From: 802377655%RUMAC@UPR1.UPR.CLU.EDU
Subject: Archive Tape Backup/QIC

I have an Archive Tape Backup specifically the VP-150i unit. What I need
is to know where can I find documentation on accesing this unit
directly.  I think this unit uses a QIC controller but I'm not sure.
My problem is the software that comes with it is a little bit trashie
What I would like to get is a better program or some kind of
documentation so I could write My own....

Rey Rivera

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 91 11:35:00 GMT+109:13
From: "V70D::HUNTRESS" <huntress%v70d.decnet@npt.nusc.navy.mil>
Subject: Delayed reboot

I'm trying to find an innovative solution to a unique problem.  I've
got an XT hooked to a satellite controller via a COM port.  The XT is
plugged into one of those timers you use on a lamp, on at 5 PM- off at
5 AM.  It's a completely hands-off system, everything is loaded using
AUTOEXEC, and it works fine, unless there is a power failure.

The satellite controller has a firmware module that is lost if I loose
power.  I can run the program that will reload the firmware, but there
is no way to make it terminate and run the rest of my AUTOEXEC.BAT
(i.e. I can't run the loader with an associated script, macro, or
command line option).

Here's my question: Is there any way to force a warm or cold after X
minutes?  This must run in the background so I can run my loader.
Aren't there some countdown timers accessable in a PC?

I realize that I could just buy an UPS, but I'm trying to save a few
$$$.

thanks,

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 15:32:15
From: Terry Guswell <P08415@prime-a.poly-south-west.ac.uk>
Subject: LCD Display problem

   We have a ViewFrame II+2 LCD transparency display panel. It is able
to connect to monitor types Mono, CGA up to VGA. Our problem is that
we've lost the VGA cable! I am therefore trying to contact the
manufacturers in the United States.

   I have their address, but am after their fax number. Can anyone help?

   They are called nView with an address of 11835 Canon Blvd., Newport
News, VA 23606.

Terry Guswell                    JANET: P08415@uk.ac.psw.pa
Plymouth Business School      INTERNET: P08415%pa.psw.ac.uk@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay
Polytechnic South West
PLYMOUTH
Devon     PL4 8AA
United Kingdom

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 1991 20:14:46 PDT
From: HENRYM@SACWMS.MP.USBR.GOV
Subject: Looking for Desqview compatible communications package

  We need a communications package to run under Desqview Windows.  The
criteria (and priorities) are:

1)  Must use the FOSSIL driver.
2)  Must work inside of Desqview Windows.
3)  Must be able to have multiple copies/sessions available
simultaneously. (4-6 windows).

  If anyone can share some information, it would be appreciated.
Please respond either to myself or to:

  Jim Wheeler (jimww@sacmgr.mp.usbr.gov)
  (916) 978-5089 / FTS 460-5089

Henry W. Miller
Assistant Systems Manager, Mid Pacific Region
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
2800 Cottage Way MP1100
Sacramento, CA 95825
(916) 978-5108 / FTS 460-5108
Inet: "henrym@sacwms.mp.usbr.gov"
BITNET: "hmiller@scu"
UUCP: "...caldwr!sanj!henrym"

------------------------------

Date: TUE 07 MAY 1991 13:52:00 CDT
From: F10K000 <F10K%USOUTHAL.bitnet@VM.TCS.Tulane.EDU>
Subject: scanning software

I would appreciate any information relative to scanning and editing
software for a flat-bed scanner under Windows 3.  I have had little
success with Image edit from IBM and am interested in Image-in scan
paint or any you may have had experience with.

Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks !

Bill Gilley
University of South Alabama
F10k@USOUTHAL

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 91 04:26:41 GMT
From: jayen@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Jayen Vaghani)
Subject: Telnet driver for 3c503

We've been running NCSA telnet on some sort of ethernet card for
awhile. We changed these cards to 3c503's which use twisted pair
connections. These are then gatewayed onto the ethernet. Unfortunately
telnet won't work with these cards because reportedly doesn't have the
drivers required. The configuration file lists the cards that are
supported and the 3c503 is not one of them.

Does anybody have a version of telnet or the drivers required to get it
working with these cards?

Thanks, Jayen.
UUCP: {uunet,ukc,ubc-cs,mcvax}!munnari.oz!jayen
ARPA: jayen%munnari.oz@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 16:08:47 EXP
From: Kim Young Jae <88272031%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Use of Extended RAM

What are the other uses of Extended RAM than Ram disk and Cache memory?
I have 2M memory in my AT board, But I know only two way of using it.
Would you show me how to use EXT RAM more usefully, or software list
that use EXT RAM.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 1991 9:21:43 EDT
From: CURCI@scri1.scri.fsu.edu (Ray Curci - FSU/IMB - 904/644-8979)
Subject: Windows 3.0 consumes extended memory

I have a 386 with 640K base and 3Meg extended memory.  Before running
WINDOWS v3.0, the MEM command says "3Meg extended RAM, 3Meg available".
After running windows (enhanced mode) and exiting, MEM reports "3Meg
extended RAM, 0 available".  The only device driver I have loaded is
HIMEM.SYS, aparently necessary for using the enhanced mode.  My only
TSR is the MOUSE.COM driver shipped with WINDOWS.  I am using MS-DOS
v4.01.  Any ideas why WINDOWS does not de-allocate the extended RAM?
Any ideas on how I can make the extended RAM available short of
rebooting?

Thanks,
Raymond Curci            curci@scri1.scri.fsu.edu
Florida State University Institute of Molecular Biophysics

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #122
-------