Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 18 May 91       Volume 91 : Issue 124

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                        1610 - Computer Folklore
                        386dx vs 386sx exp. mem
       Clarkson Drivers for Token Ring Nets Available? (V91 #112)
                       Electronic FAX (V91 #113)
         High Density Munchkin Drives for a Putz AT (V91 #113)
                             lunar calendar
               PC-NFS: load it HIGH. Here's how. (2 msgs)
                   Point sizes in Desktop Publishers
                       Re: simtel session wanted

Today's Queries:
               Build-A-Fish 2.1 interactive fish designer
                    Can't Boot Off the Fixed Disk?!?
                            Drive A problem
                         Keyboard specification
                             modem and COM3
                     search for a good screen saver
                Standard ML compiler for the PC/AT/386?
                     Postscript Greek fonts wanted
               Request for SoundBlaster Info and Programs

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 09:23:52 GMT
From: alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle)
Subject: 1610 - Computer Folklore

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>The computer is question WAS the IBM 1620.  I made a typo..

>Yes, I really DID work on one of those.  My first program was in
>Fortran (without the II, IV, et al attached)

Ooooo--Which version?  The 6600 or the 6900?  We got a second-hand copy
of the 6900 pre-compiler/compiler/subroutine system late in my career
as a 1620 jock.   Yes, 20Kwords of decimal (5-bit) memory.  Cores.
Giant racks of 'em.  (The IBM wishbook showed that you could have up to
80Kwords, and even a "disk drive", and a plotter.  I spent many hours
dreaming about the endless extravagance of not loading the compiler
into the card-reader every ten minutes.  It awaited the IBM 1130 for me
to experience that thrill...)

That darn' machine ran so slow that you could WATCH it calculate each
cycle!  But it was fun to program: even the IBM 029 keypunch seemed fun
at the time.  (We also got a nasty 026, later, with the 1130: yuk,
tubes!)

>the next one was through the toggle switches and the one

One pretty darn neat thing about that machine: the five toggle switches
(more accurately: sense switches).  Used them for games.  (Pop quiz:
name the position of the FIFTH sense switch.  Number nine, if you need
a hint.)

>And if you've heard of 'addition tables' The bootstrap had to load
>those so the machine could add/subtract.

The code-name for the 1620 was the CADET.  At the grand unveiling
ceremony, some IBM blue-suiter asked what CADET stood for.  One of the
engineering wags in the back, having already discussed the table loads,
piped up, "Can't add--doesn't even try."  CADET was never used again...

>I also wrote a scheduling program - in assembler - that scheduled
>people for the Radio Station at PCC (we were all students and had to
>work in the station around our classes)...

Gee, didn't the computer run funny on that 50Hz power?  (ok, ok, that
one's too obscure even for this group of reprobates.  The area right
around PCC was about the last in greater LA to switch from 50 to 60Hz
AC; there were punters running 40-50 year old appliances until the
1950's because nobody had made 50Hz stuff in this country for years.)

>Didn't know that anyone had ever heard of the 1620.  or the 7090, or
>7040, 7044, et al...

Never went back as far as the STRETCH.  But the 1620--well, one week
playing with that machine and I never looked back.  (Somewhere in my
parent's attic is probably a STACK of card boxes, still!)  Ruined my
life, since.  Bless Br. Joe for getting it surplus and setting it up at
Notre Dame!

Well, I see the nurse is here with my latest I.V.  I guess I need to
drag the wheelchair back to the support-o-bed.  Darn these aching bones
anyway--all this talk about ancient history makes me feel even more
fossilized.  And think, only a few more years, and I'LL be old enough
for the Smithsonian.

		Feeling twice my age,
			Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

[Alex:  Me thinks I detect a bit of tongue in cheek here...]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 13:42:43 +0000
From: Audio Video Consult <edb03@dhmolde.no>
Subject: 386dx vs 386sx exp. mem

There is something that has been bothering me a long time.  Is it true
that the 386sx chip only can adress 16 Mb of memory, and if that's the
case, Why?

I know that the dx-chip can theoretically adress 4Gb of memory..!

Please reply to the list, I have some bugs on my mail-system..

- Trombo

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 14:50:47 EDT
From: Russ Nelson <nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
Subject: Clarkson Drivers for Token Ring Nets Available? (V91 #112)

>   Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 08:25:21 EDT
>   From: jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman)

>     I am aware of the Clarkson drivers for various ethernet cards on a
>PC. Is there anything equivalent for a token ring network?  I would
>appreciate any information. Thank you.

>                                    Jerry Freedman,Jr

Sort of.  The IBMTOKEN packet driver emulates Ethernet over a token
ring board.  Here's how to get the packet drivers:

		The Clarkson packet driver collection

Availability

The Clarkson collection of packet drivers is available by FTP, by
archive-server, and by modem.  They come in two flavors -- executables
only (drivers.zip), and source+executables (driverss.zip).  All of the
following instructions apply to both drivers.zip and driverss.zip.

Mail:

I distribute the packet drivers on two 360K 5.25" disks, or a 720K 3.5"
disk.  I charge a fee for the service of copying and mailing these
disks. You can send me a check for $20, or you can send me a purchse
order and I will bill you for $22.  NY residents add 7% sales tax,
overseas orders add $3 for shipping.  If you send a check, please be
sure it is in US dollars -- the bank charges me $15 to convert checks
drawn in foreign currencies.

	Russell Nelson
	11 Grant St.
	Potsdam, NY 13676

FTP:

sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/drivers.zip
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu:/pub/msdos/tcpip/drivers.zip

E-mail:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu and put the following
command as the body of your message:

	help

This will send you a help message.  Reading this help message will tell
you how to fetch the packet drivers.

Modem:

Call the Clarkson Heath User's Group's BBS: (315)268-6667, 8N1,
1200/2400 Baud, 24 hours.  You may need to press break, or simulate it
using several nulls.  Download pub/msdos/tcpip/drivers.zip.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 11:35:52 PDT
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: Electronic FAX (V91 #113)

>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 12:32:33 ARG
>From: Luis MAGNI <atina!fmcba.sld.edu.ar!luis@uunet.UU.NET>

Electronic FAX is FAX without the paper ...  instead of being delivered
to a FAX machine and coming out on the curly paper,  electronic FAX
comes into your PC computer to a file,  which you can read or print,
as you prefer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 11:51:15 PDT
From: George_C._Burkitt.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Subject: High Density Munchkin Drives for a Putz AT (V91 #113)

>Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1991 21:22 CDT
>From: Blackhawk <2525MORRISS@VMS.CSD.MU.EDU>

 Yes, to most of your questions.

Sony,  Citizen,  Epson,  Matsushita,  Mitsumi,  Teac,  Toshiba,  YE
Data  all have announced  4.0 (unformatted) drives.   The Sony drive
(at least) is available now.    Floppies are available from Sony
distributors,  probably not the local swap meet or Software House.
Special controller,  AT host computer, MSDOS  3.3 or higher,  5V only;
uses 36 sectors / track,  other characteristics are similar to 2.0 and
1.0 MB drives.  Uses perpendicular recording;  I think it is read /
write compatible with the 2.0 / 1.0 MB capacity drives,  but I haven't
checked yet.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 1991 21:40:00 -0400
From: CHOWR@HSCvax.CSU.McMaster.CA
Subject: lunar calendar

There is a program that converts between Chinese lunar calendar and
solar calendar.  It is available by FTP from june.cs.washington.edu
(128.95.1.4), in the /pub/yeung directory.  The program will also
display the lunar date in Chinese characters, and takes leap months
into account.  Source code is in C.  It was originally written for
UNIX, but compiles without modification on a PC.  If you have trouble
retrieving it, or if you need a compiled version, send me a mail
message.

-ray

rc            chowr@hscvax.csu.mcmaster.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 21:18:21 BST
From: Pekka P Pirinen <pekka@harlqn.co.uk>
Subject: PC-NFS: load it HIGH. Here's how.

jxh@attain.teradyne.com (Jim Hickstein) gives some good advice on this
in Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #107.  I recently did it myself, and can offer
one more piece of advice:  If the largest contiguous free block of high
memory on your machine is 64K, like it is on our PS/2 Model 90 XP
486's, you might still be able to load PCNFS.SYS high by specifying the
/i0 switch to it.  This disables the packet reassembly feature, which
you're probably not using -- but read the manual and ask your network
administrator, Harlequin takes no responsibility for this trick.

Pekka P. Pirinen           pekka@harlqn.co.uk
Harlequin Limited, Cambridge, U.K.

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 03:22:38 GMT
From: rjf@gdwb.oz.au (Rex Foord)

Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.mil writes:

>2) You must *temporarily* remove SOCKDRV.SYS, VECIE6.SYS and NFSVEC.SYS
>from config.sys.  These must be loaded after optimization.  The network
>requires they run from conventional memory.  The big savings comes from
>PCNFS.SYS, which takes a whopping 65K and runs fine from high memory.

This is referring to loading PCNFS into high memory using QEMM.  Note
however that vecie6.sys can also be loaded high as well.

We have machines using 3c503 cards and it works fine. We are also using
386max instead of qemm though.

Rex Foord
PC Support
Geelong Water Board (Australia)
rjf@gdwb.oz.au

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 06:47:44 PDT
From: hugh_davies.wgc1@rx.xerox.com
Subject: Point sizes in Desktop Publishers

A printer's point is, as near as makes no difference, a seventy-second
of an inch.

Now, what's a diderot point? (Rhetorical question as an exercise for
the reader.)

Hugh.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 May 91 20:56:08 EDT
From: maddox@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (D. Maddox)
Subject: Re: simtel session wanted.

In vol 91 #106 Tom Rusk Vickery asked for an FTP session.

I have included the following captured session of a recent visit to the
wustl archives which mirrors the simtel archives (Yes, it is near
impossible to get in to SImtel).  I also have a file on my root directory
called .netrc which has the following lines:

machine wuarchive.wustl.edu
login anonymous
password maddox@nadc.navy.mil

macdef init
bell
case
binary

This allows me to connect w/o having to type in logon info each time.
You can also define macros in this file.

Anyway here is the ftp session.  I have annotated it.  What I typed in
is preceeded by the prompt ftp>.  Responses are preceeded by a three
digit number.

ftp -i wuarchive.wustl.edu
DM: This invokes ftp.  The -i parameter turns off interactive mode,
DM: otherwise it prompts you Y/N for multiple gets (mget cmd).

Connected to wuarchive.wustl.edu.
220 wuarchive.wustl.edu FTP server (Version 5.60) ready.
331 Guest login ok, send e-mail address as password.
230-Welcome, archive user!  This is an experimental FTP server.  If have any
230-unusual problems, please report them via e-mail to root@wuarchive.wustl.edu.
230-If you do have problems, please try using a dash (-) as the first character
230-of your password -- this will turn off the continuation messages that may
230-be confusing your ftp client.
230-
230-Please read the file README
230-  it was last modified on Thu Feb 21 10:35:09 1991 - 76 days ago
230-Please read the file README.07-Sep-90
230-  it was last modified on Sun Mar 24 14:15:43 1991 - 45 days ago
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
bell
Bell mode on.
case
Case mapping on.
DM: This is where the .netrc file comes in handy.  It (.netrc) provided
DM: the user and password info for me.  Otherwise, just type in
DM: anonymous for username and your Email address for a pw.

ftp> cd mirrors/msdos/graphics
250 CWD command successful.
DM: chnage directory to the graphics section on the msdos archives.  If
DM: you are familar w/ unix this should be clear.  Translating from the
DM: Simtel directory structure is fairly simple.  Since this is a
DM: mirror of Simtel, the files are all under mirrors.
DM: <MSDOS.xxx> -> msdos/xxx

ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
DM: Set file transmission type to binary.  A must for zip and all
DM: non-ascii files.  On the Simtel machine itself use TENEX (Don't
DM: know why yet).  For ascii files (00-Index.txt and such) use ASCII.

ftp> get geocity1.zip
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for geocity1.zip (4115 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
4115 bytes received in 4.3 seconds (0.94 Kbytes/s)
DM: Get a single file.  The local file name will be the same, and it
DM: will be placed in my root directory.  You can do multipule get w/
DM: the mget cmd and wildcards.  Read the unix manual on ftp for a full
DM: description of the mget.  You can change the name of what the local
DM: file will be by providing a second file name (get file1.zip file2.zip).
DM: That will get the remote file file1.zip and rename it to file2.zip
DM: on your end.

ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

Now, if you are good at compiling programs I suggest autoftp30.  It is
on the PD:<MISC.UNIX> directory of Simtel.  This program sits in the
background getting the files so you don't get frustrated.  Just give it
a list of what you want, and it gets it for you.

Hope this helps,
Doug

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 10:05 EST
From: BETTY PAGE <PAGEBJ%SNYBUFVA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: Build-A-Fish 2.1 interactive fish designer

I am trying to help a professor here at Buffalo State College find a
ShareWare program called "Build-A-Fish."   This is the only information
we have about this program:

>The Build-A-Fish program allows the user to define physical attributes
>of a fish and then the computer displays the fish.  This program is
>capable of generating 67 different fish.  Each fish is described
>briefly.  This program is an interactive exhibit used on the floor of
>the Virginia Marine Science Museum.

>It's ShareWare, online as micros/ibmpc/f616/f616bldfsh.boo

An associate told me to sign onto IBMPC-L which might offer assistance.
Any help would be appreciated.

Betty J. Page, Sr. Programmer/Analyst
SUNY Academic Support Center, Instruction and Research Support

Computing Services              Internet:
State University of New York    BITNET:         Pagebj@snybufva
College at Buffalo              SUNY DECnet:    sbufva::PageBJ
Twin Rise 208                   VOICE:          716-878-4611
1300 Elmwood Avenue             FAX:            716-878-4235
Buffalo, New York 14222

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 13:59 EST
From: <09448856%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Can't Boot Off the Fixed Disk?!?

Hello,
        I have a PC clone, which a friend gave me to use.  However,
when he deleted everything off the hard drive he also removed the
partions.  Well, I have tried installing DOS 3.30 since then, and I
can't get it to boot of the hard drive,  only floppies.  What am I
doing wrong?

        I have created a primary DOS partion using Fdisk, less than
33.5 Megs I have made the partion active I used the select command to
format and copy the system files over to the hard drive.

        What next?  You can reply directly to me if you want. Thanks in
advance.

steve(094488561@vuvaxcom)

[After you did the FDISK, you DID boot off the floppy and then

FORMAT C:/S

the hard drive, didn't you?  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 20:39:14 GMT
From: betel@buhub.bradley.edu (Robert Crawford)
Subject: Drive A problem

	Hmmmm.... I've been having the same problem. Would setting the mode
of the disk drive (treating it as an external drive) help?  For the
record, my CONFIG.SYS has been changed drastically from the original.
I've added and deleted device drivers...

--
Rob Crawford		        \"You can have peace. Or you
betel@buhub.bradley.edu	          \can have freedom. Don't ever

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 May 91 11:41:45 IST
From: Ran Cheremsh <CHERMESH%BGUVM.BITNET@UBVM.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Keyboard specification

While trying to make myself familiar with kermit 3.10 I check the
"keyboard" variable. To my surprise, the response was 88.  I AM USING A
101 EXTENDED KEYBOARD ALL ALONG.  I tried the same procedure on a
different pc and it works ok. Thus, my keyboard IS regarded as an 88
key board.  If that's the case, then a few other mysterious behaviors
of my system may have an explanation. I'm using an Epson FX 86e
printer. Hebrew printing is installed in it. I failed to print Hebrew
with this xt.  I checked my short manual, but nothing is mentioned
there on setting the type of keyboard.  Is there anything I can do to
inform my system on a 101 key keyboard?

Ran Chermesh                                  E - M A I L
Behavioral Sciences Dept.                     ===========
Ben-Gurion University                  Internet: CHERMESH@BGUVM.BGU.AC.IL
Beer-Sheva 84105                       Bitnet  : CHERMESH@BGUVM.BITNET
Israel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 May 91 01:20:10 CET
From: Marcin Palacz <PALACZ%PLEARN.BITNET@SEARN.SUNET.SE>
Subject: modem and COM3

The modem card switches allow only to select between COM1 and COM2 as a
port for modem.  Is ther any way to install such modem as COM3 or COM4?

   Marcin Palacz
   Soltan Institute for Nuclear Studies
   05-400 Swierk
   Poland
   e_mail: PALACZ@PLEARN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 May 91 01:20:17 CET
From: Marcin Palacz <PALACZ%PLEARN.BITNET@SEARN.SUNET.SE>
Subject: search for a good screen saver

Does anybody know about any good screen saver ?
A "good"  one should:
-  work also in graphic modes - i.e. return the same graphic mode in
which it switched the screen off

-  work not only at DOS prompt but also when a program is running

-  allow to be kicked out from memory

-  be small - I think 5kB would be the reasonable size

Borland's Superkey works pretty well but:
*  does it  on not all the clones (on which there is no problem with
others programs)

*  is a large program with many other functions which I never would use.

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 18:09 EST
From: POWERS_J@VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU
Subject: Standard ML compiler for the PC/AT/386?

Networlders,

	Anybody aware of a Standard ML compiler for the PC/AT/386 that runs
under DOS?  SML is a functional programming language designed by Robin
Milner.  It's pretty cool, so I would like to get my hands on a copy
for the PC.

Jim Powers
Internet: powers_j@vaxc.stevens-tech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 May 91 10:37:59 GMT
From: Andreas Lang <K573605%CZHRZU1A@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Postscript Greek fonts wanted

I am looking for Postscript Adobe type 1 fonts with the Greek alphabet.
I do absolutely need roman, italic and bold, so the well known Symbol
font is of no use for me.  The fonts may be proportional or not,
Helvetica or Times or Courier.  Support for ancient Greek diacritic
marks would be great.  The fonts are used under MS-DOS, so MAC fonts
probably won't do the job.

Any hints? Thank you very much! andreas lang

------------------------------

Date: 8  May 91 13:27
From: ZALIK%uni-mb.ac.mail.yu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Request for SoundBlaster Info and Programs

I am Boris HERMAN and I also have SoundBlaster music card for the PC.
I'd like to know, if you got some information about programming codes,
etc...  Did you get programming manual ? How good is it ?  So far, I
managed to make just strange some noises (with filling ports $220-$230
with random numbers).  If you know more than that, please, please let
me know...  By the way, did you know, that C/MS sounds and AdLib sounds
can be played all on the same time ? (creating wolderful 36 channels...
Great, isn't it ?)

P.S.: What music programs do you have for SoundBlaster ?

Thanks in advance,
				Boris HERMAN

My temporary E-mail is: ZALIK@UNI-MB.AC.MAIL.YU

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #124