Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (05/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sun, 19 May 91       Volume 91 : Issue 126

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
              DOS Unix COMPRESSed Files Uncompress Program
                    Big File Editor Wanted (V91 #52)
              Programming Function Keys in DOS (V91 #106)
                       Mac Word->IBM  (V91 #113)
                      New NNANSI version in works

Today's Queries:
                 Memory Problems with A20 on an Old AT
                           Fn key on Laptops
                     Identifying 486sx and AMD 386
                        I need a portable backup
                         musical typesetting sw
                 Example of Self Modifying Code Wanted
                            Simula compiler?
                       Strip LF from Print Stream
                           WYSE PC+ PROBLEMS

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 13 May 91  11:24:37 EDT
From: "Bob Klein" <KL2@CU.NIH.GOV>
Subject: DOS Unix COMPRESSed Files Uncompress Program

Does anyone know of a source for a DOS based program which will
uncompress files compressed with the Unix Compress command?

Someone suggested the mirros/dos directory of wuarchive.  I looked
there, but did not see anything obvious (which is not to say
such a program is not there).  Unix COMPRESSed files generally
have a .Z extension.

[You need to grab one of these files:
PD1:<MSDOS.C>
U16PC.ARC             'C' language source for 'uncompress' for PC

PD1:<MSDOS.SQ-USQ>
COMP430D.ZIP          Unix-compatible 16bit compress/uncompress/zcat
COMP430S.ZIP          C src: Unix-compat. 16-bit compress/uncompress
DECOMP2.ZIP           Unix-compatible 16 bit uncompress, w/C source

PD1:<MSDOS.TURBO-C>
COMPRS12.ARC          Unix-compatible compress/uncompress - 12 bit

One of the ought to do the trick.  I use COMP430D without problems

Hope this helps.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 09:39:00 PDT
From: "IMS/Steve Schultz" <steve@afsc-bmo.af.mil>
Subject: Big File Editor Wanted (V91 #52)

edited a file over 2MBs with WordPerfect Program Editor (PE).  It has
done a good job for me.  If you use a disk partition over 80+/- MBs...
might have problems. -STEVE

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 May 91 15:02:42 CDT
From: jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu
Subject: Programming Function Keys in DOS (V91 #106)

>Some other commands I use repeatedly are CLS and "ls ".  To program
>ALT-F10 and ALT-F9 to these commands execute the following:

>prompt $e[0;113;"cls";13p
>prompt $e[0;112;"ll ";

  Actually, I've found that an easier way to handle this same thing is
to create a file with these definitions in them (I call mine
FUNCKEY.ASN).

  Such a file might look like:
   $e[0;113;"cls";13p  [where the $e is the ACTUAL ESC code (1Bh)
    $e[0;112;"ll ";
    .
    .

  Once you have such a file, you can TYPE it.  It doesn't echo to the
screen (except as blank lines), and all the definitions are active in
DOS.

          Later,
Joel N. Fischoff
Bitnet: ACSLABJNF@DEPAUL.bitnet
Internet: jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu   <---- Preferred account

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 May 91 15:02:42 CDT
From: jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu
Subject: Mac Word->IBM  (V91 #113)

>  Does anybody out there know of a method to transfer Macintosh Word
>files to Wordperfect on a PC.  I've heard there is a method, I 've just
>never seen it.  I would appreciate an answer.

  It depends on what facilities you have.  The program MacLink+ can do
file transfers between Mac format and IBM format fairly easily.

  Another possibility is to save (in Mac Word) into IBM word format and
then do a binary translation (no translation) with Apple File Exchange.
Then check WordPerfect's Convert program to see if it can convert from
Word format to WordPerfect format.

Date: 7 May 91 21:53:02 GMT
From: toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy)
Subject: New NNANSI version in works

I plan to be releasing an revised NNANSI.SYS Real Soon Now, and am
looking for any suggestions from current users for changes. The current
version is 8/90 (August 1990).

Currently the new version differs in the following respects:

1. Default distribution has fast mode and graphics cursor turned off to
reduce the number of "RTFM" bug reports. Those users that read the
manual will be able to run in fast mode.

2. Extra display controllers supported. Most popular ones will be
supplied as preassembled .sys files so that most users not having Turbo
Assembler will not be left out.

3. NNANSI identifies itself as "ANSI.SYS" to COMMAND.COM so that the
CLS command will work properly in other than 80/40 x 25 mode. (This is
a problem with DOS 4.0, and probably will be with DOS 5.0; no problem
using 4DOS, though).

4. NNANSI is compatible with the DOS 4.0 mode command, allowing "mode
con" to work -- this is the "approved" way to change text display
lines/columns.

I'm also considering changing bios_write_tty to FALSE for compatibility
reasons (again reducing "RTFM" problems), but am currently undecided on
this one.

If you have any suggestions for improvements/changes, please write!

Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 16:30:16 BST
From: Apostolos Ballas <tolis%lbs.lon.ac.uk@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Memory Problems with A20 on an Old AT

I am using an AT clone  which is getting a bit old now but still does
the job well except one very irriating feature:

If I use programs that access extended memory using the A20 everything
is fine; but if they make BIOS calls to access the memory the system
grinds to a halt.  Is this something that can be fixed (ie can I get a
BIOS replacement)? I should add that it is a PHOENIX BIOS that I am
using.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Apostolos Ballas
Doctoral Candidate

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 91 07:52:00 CST
From: "416MSSQMSC" <416mssqmsc@sacemnet.af.mil>
Subject: Fn key on Laptops

My Zenith Supersport has a Fn key that you have to press in order to
make the down arrow function as pagedown, the up arrow function as
pageup, etc.  Is there anyway to change the mode of this key so that
instead of holding down the key you could toggle it on and off?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 May 1991 13:08 PDT
From: DLEWIS@SCUACC.SCU.EDU
Subject: Identifying 486sx and AMD 386

Does anyone know of a way in software to distinguish an AMD 386 from an
Intel 386?  And how about distinguishing the new Intel 486sx from the
Intel 486?

Thanks!

Dan Lewis
Computer Engineerin Dept.
Santa Clara Univ.
Santa Clara, CA
(408) 554-4449

E-Mail: DLEWIS@SCU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 13:34 EST
From: DULING%NIEHS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: I need a portable backup

Hello out there,
   I need a portable backup device I can carry from machine to machine,
without having to install an i/o card in every machine.  Something like
a tape backup that has hardware & software to run off a serial or
parallel port.  Speed is not a concern ( I'll leave it overnight ) but
I need size > 100MB.  All responces welcome.

--- Dave Duling,  Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics
                  National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 13:02:20 CET
From: Markus <IBTALL02%CZHETH1I@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: musical typesetting sw

does anybody out there know some software packages for typesetting
musical notes? features should include laser printer (pref. postscript)
output and the capability for writing multiple voices. all suggestions
welcome.  thanks, markus

markus muser
ibtall02@czheth1i
zurich, switzerland

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 91 19:24:28 EDT
From: "Robert J. Robbins" <rrobbins@nsf.gov>
Subject: Example of Self Modifying Code Wanted

Please pardon the intrusion, but I am seeking a little assistance in
locating an example of working, self-modifying code that is trivial
enough not to require much explanation.

The context is this: in a discussion of the complexities of the genome
project, I am using the analogy that knowing the sequence of DNA is
much like knowing the contents of binary executable files.  Before you
have anything really interesting, you must reverse compile them to at
least the source code and preferably to the design spec.  Anyone who
has tried to reverse compile self-modifying code knows that it is not
easy --especially when the self-modifying code is also involved in some
clever trick that takes advantage of hardware specifics.

Arguably, some modes of DNA action (like RNA editing) involve
clevernesses like that, and I'm looking for a computer analogy to help
get the point across.

As I recall, one of the first public-domain assembly language programs
that distinguished between an 8088 and an 80286 processor used a clever
trick that relied upon a difference in the size of the chip's pre-fetch
queue.  The code contained a data value in one byte.  Then, about three
bytes ahead of that data value was a line that modified the data value.
Then, a line of code tested to see whether the data value was old or
new.

On the 8088 the change was detected, but on the 80286 the change was
not.  The difference was due to differences in the size of the prefetch
queue.  Or something like that.  In any event, if you just looked at
the code, you could not see how the branch point could ever go to other
than one choice.  Thus, even if you reverse compiled the binaries to
the assembly source, you could not determine how the code worked
without watching it run in different environments.

I am trying to find a copy of that old program, or a description of it
in a magazine.  If anyone has any recollections or notions, I'd
appreciate it.  Also, if anyone has any other interesting, brief
examples of working self-modifying code, I'd like to hear about them as
well.

Thanks.
Robert J. Robbins
Program Director, Database Activities            Phone: (202) 357-9880
Biological, Behavioral, and Social Sciences      FAX:   (202) 357-7745
National Science Foundation
1880 G Street, Room 312                     InterNet: rrobbins@nsf.gov
Washington, DC  20550                         BitNet: rrobbins@nsf

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 May 91 10:33:02 MEZ
From: Rudolf VETSCHERA <WSVETSCH%DKNKURZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Simula compiler?

Hi,

does anyone know about a compiler for the programming language Simula
on the PC? Ideally, it should also be reliable and cheap.

Thanks
Rudolf Vetschera, Univ. of Konstanz, Germany

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 May 91 15:02:42 CDT
From: jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu
Subject: Strip LF from Print Stream

  And now, a question from me.  Does anyone know of a small TSR to
strip the LF off of a CR/LF while it's being sent to the printer (i.e.
an LPTn port).  My printer has the annoying habit of automagically
adding an LF to a CR.

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 20:40:18 PDT
From: mccalld@Sonoma.EDU
Subject: WYSE PC+ PROBLEMS

  I have a WYSE PC+ (dual speed XT clone) using MS-DOS 3.1.  Have 2
problems.  I'll be moving from PROCOMM to local editors and back etc.
and suddenly my CAPS-LOCK key will have inverted its function.  also
occassionally I will load a new program to try and I'll get the 1st
page and an alarm (as if I was entering the incorrect key-press rather
rapidly) and the only way out is to boot?  The PC uses Phoenix BIOS and
the WYSE version of MS-DOS, but I'm stumped.  I baught the upgrade to
PROCOMM 2.4.3.  from DATASTORM to PROCOMM PLUS 2.0.  The PLUS version
exhibited the above simptoms and would not run?

HELP!
thanks
mccalld@sonoma.edu (BITNET)

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #126