Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/01/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat,  1 Jun 91       Volume 91 : Issue 133

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                              $25 Network
            Re: Data-PCS (Apple) Petition - Please Comment!
         Re: Data-PCS (Apple) Petition - The REST of the Story
                           Computer Folklore
                       Simtel20's Mirror (2 msgs)
                     Turbo C 2.0 memory management
                        vt100&PFkeys Assignment

Today's Queries:
                     Automated Language Instruction
                             Clock problem
              Generating keyboard signals and screen fonts
                      LISTS about hard disk drives
                               MSDOS 5.0
                         Postscript <--> ASCII
               Telix SALT Script for Kermit Server Mode?
            WordPerfect macro sets for EMACS, Final Word II

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Fri, 17 May 1991 17:14:00 -0400
From: Rod Nussbaumer <bomr%triumfer.bitnet@utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: $25 Network

> Can anyone send me info about the 25$ LAN.  like where ii can get it
>and some information on its performence.

   I've been using the $25 Network for a few months now, connecting a
'386 and an IBM PC.  For modest file sharing it works fine.  Printer
sharing is excellent.

   I am able to use it to backup the hard disk on the PC to the tape
drive on the '386 (but it wouldn't go the other way, curiously).  This
is fairly slow, but can be done unattended while doing other things.
If you aren't fairly handy at cable building, I'd recommend buying
their cables, the prices are okay, and then you're sure they will work.

   It seems to be quite robust, documentation is minimal, but
completely adequate.  Sorry, I don't have an address or phone number,
but the name of the comapny is Information Modes (IMODES), and their
ads can be found in the back pages of many computer magazines.  Hard to
find a better deal than this.  Go for it!

  Rod Nussbaumer, Programmer/Technologist       Bitnet: BOMR@TRIUMFER
  TRIUMF --- University of British Columbia,  Internet: bomr@erich.triumf.ca
  Vancouver, BC, Canada.                         Phone: (604)222-1047 ext 510

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 02:44:45 GMT
From: granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (Larry Granroth)
Subject: Re: Data-PCS (Apple) Petition - Please Comment!

In article <52469@apple.Apple.COM>, bsteven@Apple.COM (Bill Stevens) writes:
> . . .
> If created, Data-PCS will enable all computer
> manufacturers to produce high performance wireless communications products
> for the United States.
> . . .

The article goes on to point out the wonderful benefits of this great
new idea that Apple has come up with, and includes a form letter for
computer users to send to the chairman of the FCC supporting Apple's
petition for radio bandwidth.

Now, it seems to me that posting such a thing to comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
was just asking for some less-than-gracious replies.  I couldn't help
myself.  I replied with a somewhat modified version of their form
letter suggesting that, judging from recent history, Apple's motives
should be assumed to be more monopolistic than altruistic.  I wondered
how long it would be before Apple was sueing HAM packet radio operators
for patent infringement.  I didn't give the whole thing more thought
than the time it took to type it in, and the result was (I thought)
obviously frivolous.

Apple's well-known legal department didn't agree.  Both the chairman of
my department and the departmental computer system manager have been
subjected to lengthy discussions concerning the wisdom of my
representing the University of Iowa.  (Silly me.  Not only did I forget
to include the smiley, but forgot the standard disclaimer line.)  None
of this is going to cause me any difficulty, but I was wondering if
anyone else has been receiving such personalized attention to their
comments.  Have any of you who have submitted positive comments had
your credentials verified by phone calls from Apple representatives?

-Larry    Granroth@IowaSP.physics.UIowa.edu    IOWASP::GRANROTH

(I don't speak for the University of Iowa,
 but for all other sentient life in the galaxy.  :-) :-) :-)

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 91 08:10:38 GMT
From: bsteven@Apple.COM (Bill Stevens)
Subject: Re: Data-PCS (Apple) Petition - The REST of the Story

Having read Mr. Granroth's most recent posting to this newsgroup, I
feel it may be of value to offer the perspective from the "other side
of the telephone call", so to speak.

About a week ago, I posted an "open letter from David Nagel", and a
request for comments on the Data-PCS Petition, filed by Apple Computer.
The intent of this posting was twofold. a) To inform what I considered
an audience of above-average technical competence of the existence of
the Petition, and b) offer a vehicle whereby they could either comment
directly to the FCC (the normal channel), or if more convenient,
provide comments directly to Apple Computer, to be forwarded to the
FCC.

Mr. Granroth responded as requested, by transmitting a filled-out
version of the sample letter provided in my posting, to the address
listed in the posting (data.pcs@applelink.apple.com).  The letter was
essentially as Mr. Granroth described in his most recent posting.  (the
letter is currently queued for submission to the FCC.  Upon acceptance
by the FCC, I will be happy to post the letter in its entirety, as at
that time, it will be part of the public record.)

Upon reviewing the letter, I was concerned that, although it was signed
by Mr. Granroth, the address at the top of the letter was the address
of the department  by which he was employed.  Also, his signature
included his job title within that department.

Not being a lawyer myself, I did not feel comfortable with submitting
this letter, in this form, without further consideration.  I contacted
an Apple Computer lawyer, who has been familiar with the Data-PCS
Petition since its inception, and asked his guidance on what steps I
should take to ensure that the needs of all interests were considered.
He advised me to contact the department named in Mr. Granroth's letter,
to ensure that they were aware of his letter, and did not object to its
submission with reference to their institution.

I asked my secretary to locate a phone number for the department.  She
returned with a number for the (larger) department, of which Mr.
Granroth's department is a component.

>Both the chairman of my department and the departmental computer
>system manager have been subjected to lengthy discussions concerning
>the wisdom of my representing the University of Iowa.

I called the number which my secretary had obtained.  I reached an
administrative person (secretary?) of the office of the (larger)
Department.  I spoke BRIEFLY with the department chairman, who provided
me with two other names, which he instructed me to contact.  I
explained that perhaps it would be better if I could discuss the matter
with him, but he refused to speak further with me, stating that if I
would speak to one of the other gentlemen, then they would review the
matter to him later.  I thanked him and said goodbye.  Total time for
this dialogue was on the order of one minute - two minutes at the very
top.  The matter was not discussed with the chairman AT ALL.

I called both other numbers and was unable to reach either party.  As
this was the day before the filing deadline, I was eager to reach
someone with which to discuss this matter.  I phoned back the
administrative person at the chairman's office, and explained that I
could not reach either of the other persons.  She put me on hold to
look for them (said she saw one of them in the hall a moment earlier).
While on hold, I was looking over the letter, when I noticed that Mr.
Granroth had included his phone number in the mail header.  When the
administrative person returned to the phone, she said that she was
unable to locate either of the (other two) persons.  She asked if I
wished to speak to the chairman again, I said "not at this time.  I
have another number here which I would like to try first."

I called Mr. Granroth, who much to my relief, answered.  I announced
myself and explained that I was seeking to speak to management at his
institution regarding his submission, and asked if this was OK with
him.  He said that it was (OK).

I then placed a call back to the "administrative person" and asked to
speak to "other person number 1".  He was still not available, so I
left a number where I could be reached.  "Other person number 1"
returned my call in about a half an hour.

I explained the purpose of my call - to inform the department that
their name had been used as a return address on correspondence written
by Mr.  Granroth, and that the correspondence was scheduled to be
submitted to the FCC the following day.  I read the text of the letter
to this person (he chuckled).

We discussed the matter for perhaps twenty minutes.  Most of this
discussion was necessary to clarify the exact purpose of the call.  I
repeated several times that I was not calling to request that the text
of the letter be changed (this person offered several times that he was
not knowledgable on the subject, and could not comment - I did not ask
him to do so), but that I simply wanted some confirmation that the
department did not object to the use of their name on the letter.

The person asserted that it could not necessarily be construed to
represent the department, simply because the department's name was on
the letter.  He stated that it was common practice to send out letters
(from an individual) with such a return address, without it necessarily
representing the institution.

I explained that I was taking a conservative position, and simply was
calling as a courtesy to the institution, to ensure that their
interests were considered.

This person never made a statement of approval or disapproval.  I
summarized by stating that I had voluntarily contacted the institution
as a courtesy to offer an opportunity for them to review this statement
of public record before I, as an agent of Apple Computer, duly
forwarded the letter into the public record.  I stated that I had made
a good faith effort to do so, however I did not represent our
conversation as an agreement of explicit approval from the institution.
On this basis, I was satisfied to proceed with filing the letter with
the FCC.  He responded with, "That's what I would do."  I thanked him
and said goodbye.  Total conversation was 20-30 minutes tops.

>(Silly me.  Not only did I forget to include the smiley, but forgot
>the standard disclaimer line.)

The letter was not submitted as a netnews posting.  Had it been, I
probably would have taken it in in the "smiley" spirit.  However, Mr.
Granroth forwarded the letter, as requested in my posting, with all
appearances and form of a formal submission of comments to the FCC.  I
am responding accordingly.

>None of this is going to cause me any difficulty

None intended.  Mr. Granroth's name was never used with the chairman of
the department, and was provided to the "other" person, only upon
request, and only after receiving Mr. Granroth's approval to discuss
the letter with his department's management.  Nothing whatsoever was
stated or implied at any time regarding Mr. Granroth, other than to
repeat the text of his letter.

>I didn't give the whole thing more thought than the time it took to
>type it in, and the result was (I thought) obviously frivolous.

As mentioned above, frivolity was not apparent in Mr. Granroth's
letter.  If frivolity had been intended, I expected that he would have
stated so in our phone conversation, or in response to a mail posting
which I had previously sent to him, text following:

>Dear Mr. Granroth,

>This is to confirm receipt of your comments on the Data-PCS Petition to
>the FCC.  Your comments will be forwarded to the FCC on or before Friday,
>May 10, 1991.

>Best Regards,
>William M. Stevens
>Apple Computer

I will answer the following question for Mr. Granroth:

>Have any of you who have submitted positive comments had your
>credentials verified by phone calls from Apple representatives?

No.  In fact, NOBODY's credentials have been questioned, including Mr.
Granroth's.  The call to his employer was not intended to accomplish
any purpose other than to offer the institution an opportunity to
consider the use of their name in this written instrument.

Conclusion:  I thank you for taking the time to read this very lengthy
posting.  My objective is to provide you with the most accurate
accounting of the events I can, so that you can form your own opinions
on the basis of what Mr. Granroth, and I, have both represented as the
facts.  It is my personal desire that this topic consume no further net
resources.  The deadline for the FCC comments is tomorrow, May 10,
1991.  I will post no further (and in fact, have not) on the Data-PCS
Petition.  Your comments to the FCC are, as before, encouraged.

Bill Stevens
Apple Computer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 14:40:37 CET
From: Thomas Zielke <113355%DOLUNI1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Computer Folklore

Has any of you ever heard of a machine calles TR440? Well, you don't
know what you've missed. This system was built by a German firm named
CGK (Computer Gesellschaft Konstanz), and the name of the computer was
said to come from its decor: the doors of the several cases the
computer was hidden in were made of teak, so people did call it the
'Teak-Rechner'.  We did have some terminals, indeed, so you could work
interactively, but there were also some card-punchers, one gigantic
card-reader and an even bigger line-printer, and we had several
combined card-reader/puncher/ line-printer devices. The tty-terminals
had a light-grey on dark-grey display, a very sophisticated keyboard
layout ("To send data to the processing unit, first press the
'enter-line' key, then the 'send data' key. Do not press the 'send
data' key twice, unless you want your job to be terminated.") and used
an editor even worse than MS-DOS' EDLIN.

The whole JCL was German, so if you wanted to edit a file, you had to
do the following:

X = here comes a control system command, BG=beginne Gespraech/begin inter-
active session), followed be the commands

#DATEI command (create a file)
#OEFFNE (open the file)
#PROZ, EDIERE (set up the editor)
#EDIERE (start editor session)

where each command had to be given a whole bunch of options, including
filename, password, record length, record format. BTW, userids,
passwords, filenames etc. had a maximum length of six letters.

The terminal room and the room where this gorgeous card-reader was (it
was a monster, it had a weight of half a ton and was as big as three
1950 Wurlitzers) had both a system-info installed, which means that
there were large TV-sets screwed to the ceiling, and you could see all
the batch-jobs and sessions and their position in the system queue. The
info itself was put on the screens via a TV-camera and came from a
terminal next to the computer.

Once I was allowed to see the machine, just before it was switched off
forever, and the best thing of it was the operators' console. It looked
just like those desks on the 'Enterprise' from where Sulu used to fire
the phasers, and it had two consoles built in, one small daisy wheel
printer, and it had in fact two tape cassette drives installed|

Now, where have those great days gone?

Thomas Zielke
Historisches Seminar
Universit{t Oldenburg

Postfach 2503
D-2900 Oldenburg

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 May 91 15:03:55 cdt
From: Timothy F. Sipples <sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Simtel20's Mirror

I remember seeing something about Simtel20 having an FTP mirror --
Michigan?  Do you have that address handy?  Michigan is a lot closer
(both in a geographical and Internet sense) to Chicago than Nevada is.

Thanks.
T.F.S.						sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 04:01:46 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Here are the only hosts I know of that have MSDOS archives.  The only
'mirror' that I know of is the one at wuarchive.wustl.edu.  That
DOESN'T mean there aren't more, but it is the only one I know of...
All these sites do use anonymous FTP login.  You might want to precede
your <mail-id@host> with a dash.

Hope that helps..

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Host Name                      IP Address      Type of Archive

cc.sfu.ca                      128.189.32.250  msdos, mac
doc.cso.uiuc.edu               128.174.33.105  msdos (pcsig), mac
f.ms.uky.edu                   128.163.128.6   mac, msdos, unix-pc
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu         128.153.13.196  Opus BBS, msdos, graphics,
iesd.auc.dk                    130.225.48.4    amiga, mac, msdos, myth
lindy.stanford.edu             36.54.0.11      msdos samson
mtsg.ubc.ca                    137.82.27.1     msdos, unix, amiga, os2
nic.funet.fi                   128.214.6.100   GNU, X11, networking, msdos,
 novell.macc.wisc.edu          128.104.30.31   msdos)
orc.olivetti.com               129.189.192.20  msdos fax netinfo rfc
peace.waikato.ac.nz            130.217.64.62   anu-news gnu msdos mac ncsa
plains.nodak.edu               134.129.111.64  apple, msdos, mac, amiga,
 procyon.cis.ksu.edu           129.130.10.80   unix-pc, pd modula2, msdos,
 quiche.cs.mcgill.ca           132.206.51.1    sites, msdos, bible, Hubble
 rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de   129.69.1.12     msdos, unix, mathematics
 schizo.samsung.com            134.228.1.2     networking sw, msdos, gifs,
terminator.cc.umich.edu        141.211.164.8   xscheme, msdos, atari,
um.cc.umich.edu                35.1.1.43       msdos, mac, apple, atari
 vaxb.acs.unt.edu              129.120.1.4     msdos, amiga, midi, network
vega.hut.fi                    130.233.200.42  msdos, mac, Kermit, fusion
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil         26.2.0.74       msdos, unix, cpm, mac (tenex)
 wuarchive.wustl.edu           128.252.135.4   comp.sources.x, msdos,

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 09:40 MET
From: Anneke Sicherer-Roetman <ANNEKE%HUTRUU54.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Turbo C 2.0 memory management

In <Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #103> kumara@rulcri.LeidenUniv.nl writes:
>If all goes well, the number given by coreleft() at the beginning of
>my program, should be the same as the number returned by coreleft()
>at the very end of my program. Or am I *DEADLY* wrong?

>The answer from raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) was:
>Deadly wrong.  Page 81 of the TC Reference manual (`coreleft') says
>that coreleft returns the amount of unused memory between the heap and
>the stack.  When you malloc memory, it first checks if the memory is
>available from the heap; if not, then it grabs the memory from
>coreleft.  When you free memory, it does *not* get returned to
>coreleft; it stays on the heap, in anticipation of a subsequent malloc.

I STRONGLY oppose this! I have used coreleft() for years in the way
that kumara suggests and it has ALWAYS worked!!! A call to free DOES
free heap memory, otherwise there would be no use for free or for
malloc in the first place. Note that I never use scanf, because I hate
this function but practically every other function has been used by me
in programs with the coreleft() call as the first and the last
statement in main(). So my answer to the original question is: YES you
can use coreleft() to test whether all memory that was allocated during
the program was also released, provided that you do close every file
you opened because file buffers are also dynamically allocated.

I would also suggest to kumara to subscribe to the turboc-l by sending
a subscribe command to listserv@ucf1vm. This is a very active
discussion group and I have both learned from and contributed to it
with pleasure.

Anneke Sicherer-Roetman
programmer and chemist
Utrecht Univ. Holland

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 May 91 22:47:57 +0300
From: Shahar Steiff <cerrlss%TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: vt100&PFkeys

 ;                       FOR IBM/PC KEYBOARD ONLY !!!
 ;
 ;          This version of 7171 was written specially for the
 ;     IBM 7171 in the TECHNION .  The keyboard layout is fairly
 ;     similar to that of the VT100 terminals, as described in
 ;     the documentation.
 ;
 ;          It is highly recomended that you leave the keyboard layout
 ;     "as is".  If you really feel that you want to change it, you may
 ;     do so. If you wish to add some features to the keyboard or some
 ;     additional commands, feel free to do so.  If you have any com-
 ;     ments or suggestions as to how we can improve this file, let me
 ;     know, so that others can benefit from it too.
 ;
 ;     18 March 1988                            Georges MAYER
 ;                                                Phone 2209
 ;
 ;                          KERMIT ver. 2.30
 ;                          ----------------
 RUN CLS               ; clears screen
 SET KEY CLEAR         ; clears all keyboard definitions
 ;
 ECHO Loading 7171 keyboard definitions !!! \13\10
 ;

 ; The next definitions are VT100 emulation for IBM/PC .
 ;
 ;             sets the PFKeys to the PC Fkeys
 ;
 ;
SET KEY \315 \Kpf1     ; key F1          -  PF1        ESC O P
SET KEY \316 \Kpf2     ; key F2          -  PF2        ESC O Q
SET KEY \317 \kpf3     ; key F3          -  PF3        ESC O R
SET KEY \318 \Kkp7     ; key F4          -  PF4        ESC O w
SET KEY \319 \Kkp8     ; key F5          -  PF5        ESC O x
SET KEY \320 \Kkp9     ; key F6          -  PF6        ESC O y
SET KEY \321 \Kkp4     ; key F7          -  PF7        ESC O t
SET KEY \322 \Kkp5     ; key F8          -  PF8        ESC O u
SET KEY \323 \Kkp6     ; key F9          -  PF9        ESC O v
SET KEY \324 \Kkp1     ; key F10         -  PF10       ESC O q
SET KEY \852 \Kkp2     ; key shift-F1    -  PF11       ESC O r
SET KEY \853 \Kkp3     ; key shift-F2    -  PF12       ESC O s
SET KEY \854 \027\113  ; key shift-F3    -  PF13       ESC q
SET KEY \855 \027\119  ; key shift-F4    -  PF14       ESC w
SET KEY \856 \027\101  ; key shift-F5    -  PF15       ESC e
SET KEY \857 \027\114  ; key shift-F6    -  PF16       ESC r
SET KEY \858 \027\116  ; key shift-F7    -  PF17       ESC t
SET KEY \859 \027\121  ; key shift-F8    -  PF18       ESC y
SET KEY \860 \027\117  ; key shift-F9    -  PF19       ESC u
SET KEY \861 \027\105  ; key shift-F10   -  PF20       ESC i
SET KEY \1374 \027\111  ; key ctrl-F1    -  PF21       ESC o
SET KEY \1375 \027\112  ; key ctrl-F2    -  PF22       ESC p
SET KEY \1376 \027\095  ; key ctrl-F3    -  PF23       ESC _
SET KEY \1377 \027\043  ; key ctrl-F4    -  PF24       ESC +
;
;                     sets IBM functions to the special keys
;
SET KEY \334 \Kkpenter   ; keypad +   -  CLEAR                ESC O M
SET KEY \338 \Kkpdot     ; keypad 0   -  Toggle INSERT Mode   ESC O n
SET KEY \851 \127        ; keypad .   -  delete               RUBOUT
SET KEY \330 \Kpf4       ; keypad -   -  PA1                  ESC O S
SET KEY \842 \Kkpminus   ; shift keypad -    -  PA2           ESC O m
SET KEY \846 \010        ; shift keypad +    -  NEWLINE       NL
SET KEY \271 \009        ; key TAB           -  TAB           HT
set key \9 \9            ;tab -> tab
set key \783 \27\9       ;ShiftTab -> BackTab
set key \270 \8\4        ;BackSpace -> BackSpace

* Shahar Steiff  *  Dept. of Chem.Eng., Technion IIT, Haifa, ISRAEL   *
* Phone:(+)972-4-293420   Fax.(+)972-4-292850   TLX:45182 PALRAM IL   *
* E-Mail:cerrlss@techunix.technion.ac.il    cetek63@technion.bitnet   *
* Snail-Mail: Kibbutz Ramat-Yochanan, 30035, Israel  Tel. 04-459536   *

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: 20 May 91 12:43:00 EDT
From: "SI00::SIGNORINOC" <signorinoc%si00.decnet@v3.hanscom.af.mil>
Subject: Automated Language Instruction

    I'm interested in attaining a research ability (for grad school) in
several foreign languages.  Does anyone know of any public domain,
shareware, or even commercial software packages for French, German, and
Russian language training?

    Any e-mails would be appreciated.
    Curt Signorino
    signorinoc@v3.hanscom.af.mil

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 17:37:50 EDT
From: "Pierre V. Villeneuve" <VILLENEUVEP%VTPOOH.ME.VT.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Clock problem

Hello,

   I think I have a problem with my real time clock.  When I bought my
computer (a PC/XT clone) the clock worked just fine.  I was using the
MS-DOS 3.2 that came with the computer, but later I switched to IBM-DOS
3.3, and now every time I boot my machine, the year is about 70 years
in the future while the time, day, and month are all OK.  When I use
the little utility that came with the computer to reset the time, it
does not work; so now I have to set the DOS clock every time I turn my
computer on.  I am assuming that this is all because I switched
IBM-DOS.  Is there a simple, practical solution to this problem?

| Pierre V. Villeneuve                "The equal sign is sacred." |
| Mechanical Engineering                                          |
| Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University               |
| Internet: VilleneuveP@vtpooh.me.vt.edu                          |

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 10:48:22 CDT
From: tpradeep@cs.tamu.edu (Pradeep K Tapadiya)
Subject: Generating keyboard signals and screen fonts

	Hi! Netters,

	I have two simple questions.

	1.) I have a laserwriter+ connected to my 486 through an Appletops
card. Since this 486 is too fast for the card to handle, whenever I
have to print something, I have to slow down my system ( by pressing
ALT + CNTL + MINUS). After the printing is over, I can get back the
original performance of the system by pressing ALT + CNTL + PLUS.

	I would like to create a batch file which will take care of these
three operations. Does anyone know how I can send these keyboard signal
to the computer through a batch file?

	2.) I have finished writing a fast SVGA driver. Now I am looking for
different screen fonts to add to my library. Does anyone know where I
can get some public domain fonts? Also, I have some fonts which come
which Microsoft `C' compiler's graphics library, but I do not know the
structure of these fonts. Can someone tell me how to use these font
files with my routines ?

	Thank you.
	  - Kumar

	INTERNET: tpradeep@cs.tamu.edu
	YELLNET:  (409)846-2757

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 09:36:02 CDT
From: gnick@rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: LISTS about hard disk drives

Does anyone know of net list(s) specifically about hard disk drives,
magnetic recording, or direct access storage devices?  Please post
INTERNET addresses of these lists, and subscription procedures.

Thanx,
--Nick Weisensel

------------------------------

Date: 22 May 91 12:30:39 GMT
From: frode@cernvax.cern.ch (frode weierud)
Subject: MSDOS 5.0

I have recently heard that there apparently exists a beta release of a
new version of MSDOS, version 5.0.  Does anybody have any further
information about this version and when the final product will be
released?

Regards, Frode

*	Frode Weierud		Phone	:	41 22 7674794		 *
*	CERN, SL		Fax	:	41 22 7823676		 *
*	CH-1211 Geneva 	23	E-mail	:	frode@cernvax.cern.ch	 *
*	Switzerland			   or	weierud@cernvm.cern.ch	 *

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 May 91 17:31:58 EST
From: Mac Su-Cheong <NCKUS089%TWNMOE10.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Postscript <--> ASCII

Dear Netters:

  I have found some tools that can convert ascii to postscript. Is
there any utility which can convert postscript back to ascii? I have
got some thesis in postscript form but I can't print it out, since my
laser printer has not enough memory.

Thanks in advance.

MSC

Mac Su-Cheong
nckus089@twnmoe10
msc@sun4.ee.ncku.edu.tw

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 10:37:28 PDT
From: faigin@aerospace.aero.org
Subject: Telix SALT Script for Kermit Server Mode?

Does anyone know if there exists a Telix SALT script that would
implement Kermit Server mode as a protocol under Telix? How hard would
it be to write one?

Daniel
[W]:The Aerospace Corp. M1/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-8228
[Email]:faigin@aerospace.aero.org               [Vmail]:213/336-5454 Box#3149

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 09:29:00 EDT
From: Herb Lin <HLIN%NAS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: WordPerfect macro sets for EMACS, Final Word II

I'm looking for WordPerfect macro sets, one to convert WP 5.1 into an
EMACS command set, and the other to convert it into a Final Word II
command set.

Can anyone help?  Thanks!

Herb Lin
HLIN@NAS (from Bitnet)