Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 15:45:35 EDT
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@tamara.kew.com>
Subject: Some thoughts on installing DOS 5.0

The boring part ... kendra, home of the Wonderwork's UUPC/extended
kermit server, will upgrade to MS-DOS 5.0 the evening of Tuesday, 11
June.  If you have any problems dialing into to kendra after this time,
please contact me via e-mail at help@kendra.kew.com.  It should also be
noted that people recently had problems connecting to kendra after I
put a new modem in her; these problem have been corrected by replacing
the modem.  If you could not dial-in to download UUPC/extended, please
try again.

Now comes the fun part ... DOS 5.0 is on the loose, and here some quick
comments on it after it laying down on on PS/2 model 70 which dual
boots to DOS or OS/2 1.3EE.

First off, the upgrade is CHEAP.  Egghead Discount Software is peddling
it as a loss leader for $39 if you fill out a survey (which, I presume,
gets you on their mailing list).  How do you prove it's an upgrade?
You have to boot your system before you install it!  (After
installation, the UPGRADE to MS-DOS will create bootable diskettes, of
course, but the actual distribution diskettes do not.)  [Distribution
Disks are not bootable?  gph]

The install went smoothly, and included creating an uninstall diskette
to recover from it.  I have not tested this latter feature, and I hope
I don't have to.  Dual boot still functions normally.

DOS will install itself in the HMA (high memory area) on a system with
extended memory.  This gave me 620K after reboot, down to about 595K
now that I have re-installed SMARTDRV.SYS and various TSR programs.  I
was able to load all of my TSR programs from the CONFIG.SYS using a new
INSTALL= directive; this saved me the memory for a copy of the
environment (465 bytes in my case) for each TSR loaded.  Also, on a 386
system additional programs can be loaded high via UMB's, ala QEMM or
NETROOM; I didn't bother on this system.

Micrsoft now supplies SMARTDRV.SYS with DOS, and also a new HIMEM.SYS
which supercedes the one provided with Windows 3.0.  The revised
HIMEM.SYS now supports reserving extended memory for use by the VCPI
interface (INT15), which gives you some ability to run programs using
the older standard without having to reboot.  (kendra's sibling athena
needs this feature badly ...)

As a side note, I originally had Norton Cache (part of Norton Utilities
5.0) in my config.sys; ncache-f loudly announced it doesn't support DOS
5.0, and refused to load itself.  Norton Tech support states that for a
fee customers can upgrade to the newly announced version 6.0 to get a
new version of the cache.  Personally, I view this as a good time to
defect to Central Point's PC Tools 7.0.

The new MS-DOS functions include the revised DOS shell (including file
manager/task switcher), command line retrieval function, and a
full-screen editor.  The functions are all basic and they all work in
reasonable fashion.  Oddly enough, the DOS shell defaulted to a
text-only display on my color VGA; once I switched to graphical mode,
it seems to come up in graphical mode autmatically.  The DOS manual
documents switching away from a communications program doesn't work,
which is not a surprise.  The editor, curiously enough, is really a
front-end to QBASIC ... you do get a slightly different interface if
you use EDIT, so I presume it sets some funny switches under the
covers.

All of these new functions do not match various add-on products
available from third party vendors, but for a basic system setup these
functions fill some very basic gaps.  I upgraded my sister's PC (500
miles from home) over Memorial Day, and I would have killed for a
decent editor, as the only choices were the Leading Edge Word Processor
and EDLIN.  Closer to home, the ability to load the kernel high will
stave off having to buy QCRAM or NETROOM for kendra.

Two major holes remaining in DOS 5.0 are the lack of a Fastback/PC
Tools quality backup and virus detection.

The new release also has image save (mirror) and undelete utilities,
both done by Central Point Software; not having time to blow away my
hard drive, I haven't tried them.  (I did install them to record what
file deletions.)

Those are just a few thoughts,

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire
                ________HOME________            ________WORK_______

*Disclaimer* I am not connected, in any way, with Egghead Software
and/or Microsoft.  I'm just reporting what I paid in the interests of
keeping someone else from paying full price.  I'm also providing some
thoughts on the new system.  In other words, I'm just a satisified
customer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue Jun 11 10:13:30 PDT 1991
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
Subject: Microsoft Unveils MS-DOS 5

I contacted Microsoft and asked for their MS-DOS 5.0 press release.
The following was provided:

  Microsoft today announced the immediate availability of MicrosoftR
MS-DOS 5, which contains major enhancements that bring greater
functionality to all DOS* users whether novice or advanced.

	Improved memory management in version 5 makes more memory available
for DOS applications and data files, including those running under the
Microsoft WindowsTM graphical environment.  A new Shell, online help, a
task swapper and an undelete utility are among the newly added features
that make MS-DOS 5 easier to use than previous versions.

	As in the past, Microsoft will distribute MS-DOS through PC
manufacturers for use on new computers.  Currently, more than 130 PC
manufacturers worldwide have licensed MS-DOS 5 for their customers.
These 130 manufacturers accounted for nearly 90 percent of the DOS-
based PCs shipped last year, according to Microsoft estimates.  Version
5 is available from many of these PC manufacturers immediately.

	To meet the needs of the current installed base of approximately 60
million MS-DOS users worldwide, Microsoft also for the first time ever
will make an upgrade version available through the retailchannel.  This
upgrade-only product will not install without DOS 2.11 or higher
already present on the machine.  An intelligent, automated installation
procedure upgrades all brands of PCs, even over a network, making the
process safe and simple.  The Microsoft MS-DOS 5 Upgrade has a
suggested retail price of $99.95.  Microsoft expects more than 7,000
reseller store fronts and sales offices to offer the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade.

	"The PC industry has flourished over the past 10 years because of
MS-DOS and the support it has had from PC manufacturers, software
developers and PC users worldwide," said Bill Gates, chairman and CEO
of Microsoft.  "MS-DOS 5 represents a large investment toward advancing
this acknowledged industry standard.  With the overwhelming commitment
of PC manufacturers and the record numbers of orders placed for the
MS-DOS 5 Upgrade, we believe this is the largest initial demand in
history we've seen for a PC software product."

	"We worked closely with large companies, small businesses, educators,
vendors, and user groups to define and test this product.  More than
7,000 beta testers worldwide helped make MS-DOS 5 and the MS-DOS 5
Upgrade the most tested software programs in PC history, resulting in
increased product stability, reliability and compatibility."

	Because of the extensive testing, MS-DOS 5 is highly compatible with
applications written for previous versions of MS-DOS.  In fact, almost
all DOS applications will run without modification.

More Conventional Memory for DOS Applications Alone or Under Windows

	MS-DOS 5 provides much more space for user programs and data by using
memory-management technology to move systems code out of the user's
normal memory space.

	With 80286-based or higher PCs, MS-DOS 5 provides significantly more
conventional memory for DOS applications because most of MS-DOS 5 can
reside in the High Memory Area (HMA), which is the first 64 K of
extended memory.  In most configurations, users upgrading from a
previous version of DOS will get at least 45 K more memory for their
DOS applications and will have as much as 621 K of free conventional
memory.  This additional memory will allow users to run more
effectively on networks, run larger applications and work with larger
spreadsheets, databases, documents, graphic images and data files.

	In addition, now users can load TSRs (terminate-and- stay-resident
programs), device drivers and network drivers into the upper memory
blocks on 80386- and 80486-based computers, further freeing memory for
DOS applications.  Depending on the configuration, this will free 133 K
or more of conventional memory.

	The additional available conventional memory is particularly
beneficial to Windows version 3.0 users, who now can access more memory
for their DOS applications.  Users running multiple DOS applications
under Windows 386- enhanced mode get additional memory for each
individual application.

	"Our experience with MS-DOS has been excellent, we have absolutely no
problems, and we plan to upgrade the majority of our machines with the
MS-DOS 5 Upgrade," said Randy Baldie, manager of PC and LAN development
at Nike International.  "The new features will help all our users, and
the additional memory available is critical -- we expect to save more
than 100 K of memory on our machines, which are all networked.  All of
our machines have Microsoft Windows, and the additional memory for DOS
applications is a tremendous gain."

Takes the Mystery out of MS-DOS

	The Microsoft MS-DOS Shell was completely rewritten for version 5, to
be smaller, faster and simpler to use.  The new Shell provides a menu
interface to MS-DOS, making it easy to manage programs, data and tasks.
Its visual appearance is consistent with the Windows environment.  The
improved MS-DOS 5 Shell includes a file manager, program manager, task
swapper, utilities and online help, making MS-DOS 5 easier to use.

	The Shell's new task swapper enables users to switch quickly between
programs, sparing users the time and trouble of quitting a program to
launch or use another DOS application.

	A set of utilities, new in MS-DOS 5, will benefit both novice and
advanced users, as well as Windows users.  For increased safety, an
"undelete" utility allows users to retrieve deleted files, and an
"unformat" utility reverses the effects of the Format command on newly
reformatted disks.  Microsoft licensed this technology from Central
Point Software, Inc.

	A full-screen editor provides a quick and easy way to modify system
files and eliminates the need for the old "edlin" editor to edit text
files.  The new editor has pull-down menus and supports the use of a
mouse.

	Comprehensive online help, available from either the Shell or the
command line, enables users to get information on DOS commands quickly.

Further Enhancements Increase the Breadth of DOS

	For beginning programmers, MS-DOS 5 comes with the MS-DOS QBasicTM
Interpreter, a complete modern-language development environment that
replaces GW-BASICR.  It is ideal for learning the techniques of modern
programming.

	MS-DOS 5 also breaks through several mass storage limitations of
previous versions of DOS.  Users no longer need to load SHARE to access
partitions larger than 32 MB and can establish disk partitions of up to
2 gigabytes.  Support also has been added for 2.88MB floppy disk
drives.

Safe and Easy Installation

	The new MS-DOS 5 Upgrade provides an intelligent, automated
installation procedure to enable easy, worry-free installation by
current users of DOS who wish to upgrade to MS-DOS 5.  This unique
SETUP program is only available in the Microsoft MS-DOS 5 Upgrade.

	The new SETUP program installs the upgrade in minutes, even over a
network, regardless of the brand of PC.  The program also automatically
preserves enhanced utilities and commands added by PC manufacturers to
previous versions of DOS.

	Before installing version 5, the SETUP program scans the existing DOS
system files to determine the current system configuration, then makes
all necessary modifications to both files.  The program also creates an
"uninstall" disk in case a user needs to revert to the previous DOS
version.

	For safety, the SETUP program automatically detects whether
third-party disk drivers need to be upgraded.  As a convenience, most
of these drivers are provided with the MS- DOS 5 Upgrade.  These
include drivers for hard drives partitioned using Disk Manager or
Speedstor, as well as drivers for HardcardTM, Priam, Sysquest and
Bernoulli drives.  Also included in the Upgrade package are Microsoft
LAN Manager and NovellR NetWareR redirectors to aid users and system
administrators in installing the upgrade on networked PCs.

Extensive Phone Support Ensures Quick and Easy Assistance

	Registered customers of the Microsoft MS-DOS 5 Upgrade can receive
free assistance by calling a toll number during the first 90 days after
purchase.  In addition, customers who acquire MS-DOS version 5 with a
new computer will receive support directly from the PC manufacturer.
Another number provides 24-hour automated support to answer the most
frequently asked MS-DOS 5 questions.  Users also can call a 900-number
to receive assistance regardless of where they acquired MS-DOS 5 or how
long they have had the product.  A CompuServeR forum (GO MSDOS) for
MS-DOS is another source of helpful information.

Availability and Pricing

	MS-DOS 5 Upgrade is available for a suggested retail price of $99.95.
Microsoft License Paks for large-volume purchases are available for
$79.95 per computer.  A Microsoft License Pak includes a printed
license only, without software or documentation.  All prices are U.S.
dollars.  PC manufacturers determine the suggested retail price of MS-
DOS 5 sold with their hardware.

	MS-DOS 5 will be available in 15 foreign languages in addition to
English.  All languages are scheduled for release within three months.

	For more information on MS-DOS 5, contact Microsoft at (800)
992-DOS5.

	Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ "MSFT") develops, markets and supports
a wide range of software for business and professional use, including
operating systems, network products, languages and applications as well
as books, CD- ROM products and hardware for the microcomputer
marketplace.  ########

Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, GW-BASIC and MS-DOS are registered
trademarks and QBasic and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft
Corporation.

CompuServe is a registered trademark of CompuServe, Inc.

Hardcard is a trademark of Plus Development Corporation.

Novell and NetWare are registered trademarks of Novell, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 91 04:44:27 GMT
From: bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT)
Subject: Re: MS-DOS v5.0 Release Date 11th June
Comment: Forwarded by: w8sdz@oak.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen)

(David Crowley) writes:
%% (James P Gurganus) writes:
%% >riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
%% >some extra file in your root directory to run Windows 3.0.  Does anyone
%% >know what this file does or if its really needed?
%% 	Yep, this is true. When you get all your N disks that come with
%%       Dos5 and then type setup to install it, it puts a file called
%%       WINA20.386 in to root dir on your boot disk (ie C:) and if this
%%       file does not exist windows will not run in 386enh mode.

%% 	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
%%       memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
%%       to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
%%       only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)

The file WINA20.386 is a Windows 3.0 virtual device driver, and
arbitrates the A20 line used by HIMEM.SYS.  This virtualization should
be handled in the next version of Windows, but for now the file is
required.

While DOS installs put the file in your root, you don't have to leave
it there.  By adding the line

    switches = /w

to your DOS 5 CONFIG.SYS, you can put WINA20.386 anywhere.  Just be
sure to add the line

    device=c:\dos\wina20.386 ; or wherever the correct path is

to the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI.

As for the conflict between DOS 5 UMB support and Windows '286 mode...
You're not hallucinating; the conflict is real.  Windows detects that
some other protected-mode software is running, and won't load.  I can't
say if/when this conflict will go away.

--  Bob Schmidt             bobsc@microsoft.UUCP
--  Bellevue WA USA         Windows SDK Support
--  Syndey NSW Australia    Developer Support (after 1 Oct)

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 91 17:00:59 GMT
From: timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts)

In article <72798@microsoft.UUCP> bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) writes:
>(David Crowley) writes:
>%%    Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded memory,
>%% extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able to run win in
>%% standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can only run in 386enh mode
>%% which is fine, but I was wondering?-)

>As for the conflict between DOS 5 UMB support and Windows '286 mode...
>You're not hallucinating; the conflict is real.  Windows detects that
>some other protected-mode software is running, and won't load.  I can't
>say if/when this conflict will go away.

Bob, is this the official Microsoft position, or are you speaking on
your own?  Your last sentence shows extreme short-sightedness and a
lack of understanding of the seriousness of this problem.

Why was this incompatibility allowed to happen?  This failure in DOS 5
nearly makes it unacceptable for Windows developers.  Our drivers have
to work in EACH of the Windows modes.  Now, running DOS 5's EMM386, I
can no longer test Standard mode.

QEMM happily coexists with Windows in Real, Enhanced, AND Standard
modes.  If Quarterdeck can achieve 386 memory detente with your OS and
your window manager, then surely Microsoft itself should be able to do
at least as good a job!

This is a SIGNIFICANT deficiency.  I sincerely hope Microsoft is making
more of an effort to isolate and correct this flaw than is indicated in
your mail.

timr@gssc.gss.com	Tim N Roberts, CCP	Graphic Software Systems
						Beaverton, OR

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #140