Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/15/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Sat, 15 Jun 91       Volume 91 : Issue 142

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
      ATK Data Flow Diagramming tools v1.02 uploaded to SIMTEL20
          AVPLAN30.ZIP - Aviation preflight planning utility
       BATHINTS.ZIP - Collection of hints on using BATch files
   EDIT245.ZIP deleted from SIMTEL20 archives due to bugs (2 msgs)
          IP205.ZIP - Free form information storage database
       KwikStat v2.12 menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg
               MCASTLE.ZIP - Math-based adventure game
     MICKYCLK.ZIP - Micky Mouse clock display (EGA/VGA required)
                      msdos uploads to SIMTEL20
        MSI14.ZIP - Colorful windowed DOS shell with password
    PCCAI205.ZIP - CAI authoring language; write tutorials, tests
    ROADW254.ZIP - Trip planning (routes, mileage), works w/mouse
    TOADADEL.ZIP - Delete files older than specified nr of months
     TOADBOOT.ZIP - Warm boot after n minutes delay, w/ASM source
     TXTSHW30.ZIP - Creates customized text screen presentations
     XDOS320.ZIP - ExtraDOS: Adds the commands that DOS left out

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Mon, 27 May 91 21:48:38 MDT
From: Michael Schwartz x1-6820 <mschwartz@mmc.com>
Subject: ATK Data Flow Diagramming tools v1.02 uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.flowchart>
ATK1IBM.ZIP     Data Flow Diagramming tools, (ATK ver. 1.02)
ATK1READ.ME     Description of ATK Data Flow Diagramming tools

ATK1IBM.ZIP is version 1.02 of the Analyst's Tool Kit Data Flow
Diagramming tools.  ATK will support 8 full levels of decomposition
below the context diagram, a data dictionary, and analysis tools.  ATK
requires a PC-compatible with CGA, EGA, or VGA, 192K available.
Hercules support by MSHERC is untested.

Improvements include: mouse support, Epson printer output, route points
for flows, and a data dictionary pretty printer.

Due to few requests, no new version for Z100 or NEC APC 3 is provided.

This program is ShareWare.  The price is the same as the previous
version.

The ZIP used to compress was version 1.10, and I used the Authenticity
verification feature (Schwartz Computer Consulting Services).  There
are subdirectories in the archive (it should be extracted with the -d
-- as documented in the ATK1READ.ME file).

Michael
- - -
schwartz@pogo.den.mmc.com
mschwartz@mmc.com
mschwart@du.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:49:18 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: AVPLAN30.ZIP - Aviation preflight planning utility

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
AVPLAN30.ZIP    Aviation preflight planning utility

AVPLAN was written to assist the pilot in preflight planning.

From AVPLAN30.DOC:

This program was designed to provide some basic information for the
pilot in his flight planning phase.  In talking with general aviation
pilots, I have concluded that many of these pilots place a limited role
on computer flight planners.  I too question the importance of flight
planners incorporating every facet of aircraft performance when
calculating flight plan output.  The reality is that flight planners
can only provide predictions.  The pilot using this data, must monitor
all aspects of the flight and vary those predictions as required.
Variables such as winds and ATC routing can alter the flight plan data
drastically.  With this in mind, I have tried to create a program that
is easy to use and requires a minimal amount of input and data to
provide some basic flight plan predictions.  I hope that you find the
program effective in meeting this objective.

Can be installed on hard disk or dual-disk MSDOS system (mono or
graphics).

   The program provides a main menu for selection of program
applications.  Of these choices, some will provide a sub menu allowing
more specific choices.  The main menu choices are as follows:

     [1]  Flight Log; Wind Corrections; Weather Calculations; Weight
and Balance; Flight Plan; Cost Analysis; Disk Operations; and lastly,
Print Operations

Databases of waypoints for all 50 states is included, and can be
expanded if desired.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:52:21 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: BATHINTS.ZIP - Collection of hints on using BATch files

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.batutl>
BATHINTS.ZIP    Collection of hints on using BATch files

Snarfed from a local BBS, several text files (dating from 1987..1989)
cover a wide variety of common batch problems and solutions.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 00:34:00 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz%WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: EDIT245.ZIP deleted from SIMTEL20 archives due to bugs

fstarr@taclg.af.mil (TSgt Frank Starr) writes:
> There's a nice little text editor on SIMTEL20 called EDIT, in the
> MSDOS.EDITOR directory. It will let you do things like edit batch
> files, and even type long messages for upload. You can even print
> them with this program.
> [...]
> The problem: when I run the program, it runs just fine.  I can key
> in text, print it out, and even use the new feature of counting number
> of words in the file.  But, when I try and exit by keying in a CTRL D,
> or even a CTRL Q, the program locks up. CTRL S will save the text file,
> but I still can't get out of the program without rebooting.

I have received the same report from several other users.  Edit v2.45
(EDIT245.ZIP) has been deleted from the SIMTEL20 archives.

When the author releases a fixed version it will be announced to the
net.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1991 18:57 EDT
From: Webb Blackman <BLACKMANW@urvax.urich.edu>
Subject: IP205.ZIP - Free form information storage database

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
IP205.ZIP       Free form information storage database

Information Please!, version 2.05, is a text storage and retrieval
program. It allows you to store and retrieve full-text information such
as memos, catalogues, briefs, letters, articles, invoices, product
descriptions, etc. ASP

Webb B. Blackman, Jr.	BLACKMANW @ URVAX		(Vanilla BITNET)
Post Office Box 34446	blackmanw@urvax.urich.edu	(Bitnet or Internet)
Richmond, Virginia 23234

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1991 18:50 EDT
From: Webb Blackman <BLACKMANW@urvax.urich.edu>
Subject: KwikStat v2.12 menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.statistics>
KS212_1.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-1of3
KS212_2.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-2of3
KS212_D.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-3of3

KwikStat, version 2.12, is a menu-driven statistical data analysis
package written by a professional statistical consultant.  Contains
commonly needed data analyis procedures and graphs.  Reads and writes
dBASE and ASCII files.  ASP

KS212_D.ZIP contains a demo of how to use KwikStat.

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:59:58 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: MCASTLE.ZIP - Math-based adventure game

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
MCASTLE.ZIP     Math-based adventure game

Math Castle is an adventure game exercising your ability in mathematics
(the easy stuff: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).

Good kid's game.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:59:55 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: MICKYCLK.ZIP - Micky Mouse clock display (EGA/VGA required)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.screen>
MICKYCLK.ZIP    Micky Mouse clock display (EGA/VGA required)

Nice display .. makes me wanna go out and upgrade my Herc-clone mono
system!

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 91 10:48:05 GMT
From: National PD Software Archive <pdsoft@pd-software.lancaster.ac.uk>
Subject: msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
ENTRY141.ZIP    Fixed-format data entry system

This program emulates some of the amenities of the old keypunch program
drum, allowing auto entry of sequential case numbers, data type
checking, auto skipping and auto newline.

pd1:<msdos.database>
PAPER202.ZIP    PAPERS scientific literature database

A scientific literature database system that uses dBase-compatible
files.  It stores authorname, title, journal/book, year, volume, pages,
keywords and up to 64K of notes.  Searches can be done on combinations
of up to 11 fields; references can be formatted using most common
journal formats.  Unregistered version limited to 50 records per
database.

pd1:<msdos.database>
PCAB300.ZIP     Database of names/addresses/dates

PCAB is a fast and easy-to-use database for keeping names, addresses,
phone numbers, birthdays and wedding anniversary dates.

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
MH_MV.ZIP       File/directory move utility

A simple UNIX-like utility to move files and directories.

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
JLPAK10.ZIP     Creates compressed diffs for software updates

JLPAK uses a 'forward compression' method to distribute software
updates in an efficient way. It compares old and new versions (text or
binary) and generates a compressed set of instructions to generate the
new version from the old.

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
OC210.ZIP       Finds optimum packing for file copy to floppy

This utility scans a list of files or directories and calculates the
most space-efficient way of copying them to floppy. It generates a
batch file that contains the appropriate copy commands.

pd1:<msdos.math>
SHUFFLE.ZIP     Number list order randomizer, with C source

Program that randomizes the order of a numeric list of up to 10,000
items.  C source is included.

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
DEFORM.ZIP      Program to remove FORM virus from floppies

This program disinfects floppy discs (only) from the FORM virus. C
source is included.

pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
PCVRPT.ZIP      Collection of PC-Virus reports in text format
PCV9105B.ZIP    PC-Virus Index database

PC-Virus Index is an up-to-date and authoritative knowledge base on PC
viruses which categorises them by families as their relationship
becomes known.  It is delivered through an intelligent front end which
displays the various strains, characteristics and sizes together with
the names of leading scanners that might offer positive detection.

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
DFUTIL1.ZIP     Dr. Funkey's text handling utilities, 1 of 2
DFUTIL2.ZIP     Dr. Funkey's text handling utilities, 2 of 2

A collection of utilities for manipulating text files.  Includes blank
stripping, case conversion, add/remove of line numbers, tab expand and
compression and string insert/delete.

pd1:<msdos.zip>
ZS10.ZIP        Repackage large ZIP files into smaller ones

This utility will repackage the contents of a large ZIP file into
smaller ZIP files. Needs PKZIP/PKUNZIP.

Alan Phillips
Lancaster University, UK
pdsoft@pd-software.lancaster.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:32:46 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: MSI14.ZIP - Colorful windowed DOS shell with password

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
MSI14.ZIP       Colorful windowed DOS shell with password

The MSI Menu System 1.4 (Shareware) provides a colorful, windowed Shell
for DOS.  Everything needed to create and maintain menus is included in
the program, including a batch file editor.

Special MSI features include:

  * Password protection for EACH menu option
  * U-define help screen for each menu
  * 'Lockable' menus to prevent accidental changes
  * Resident & non-Resident System calls
  * 'Text Only', non-selectable menu options
  * Own fore/background colors for menu options
  * 8 selectable menus backdrop colors
  * 22 different menu borders
  * Stepped, Overlay and Shadowed menus
  * Up to 100 sub-menus
  * E-Z Maintenance

Hardware Requirements : IBM compatible computer.  EGA/VGA Monitor.  HD
or Floppy.

Other Requirements : MS-DOS 3.0 or higher.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1991 18:43 EDT
From: Webb Blackman <BLACKMANW@urvax.urich.edu>
Subject: PCCAI205.ZIP - CAI authoring language; write tutorials, tests

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
PCCAI205.ZIP    CAI authoring language; write tutorials, tests

PC-CAI, version 2.05, is a Computer Assisted Instructional tool.  This
authoring language allows you to write computer driven tutorials,
tests, etc. on any subject using graphics, animation, questions and
answers, menuing and branching.  Teach concepts, ask questions, record
answers, grade results. CGA compatible monitor is required. ASP.

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:27:16 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: ROADW254.ZIP - Trip planning (routes, mileage), works w/mouse

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.database>
ROADW254.ZIP    Trip planning (routes, mileage), works w/mouse

ROADWAYS PC v2.54 (Shareware) is a unique trip planning tool.  It will
determine the actual road mileage between any two given points,
providing the shortest route, roads to take, mileages to waypoints,
driving times and even cost estimates.  The user can expand the city
listings as much as wanted.

Includes full mouse support, built-in help and full documentation.

Hardware Requirements: Any IBM compatible computer, 384K RAM, Single
floppy disk (Hard disk recomm.), Any display adapter, Printer.

Other Requirements: MS-DOS 2.11 or higher, Mouse not required, but
recommended for improved ease of use.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:03:45 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: TOADADEL.ZIP - Delete files older than specified nr of months

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
TOADADEL.ZIP    Delete files older than specified nr of months

Per request from a local BBS SYSOP, this utility deletes files older
than a designated number of months (with wildcards and multiple file
names accepted on the commandline).

Full C source (Turbo C v2.0) provided.  This utility doesn't use the
nonportable find_first() and find_next() as provided by Turbo C (the
source of much trouble when porting to MSC), but has its own routines.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:57:14 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: TOADBOOT.ZIP - Warm boot after n minutes delay, w/ASM source

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.batutl>
TOADBOOT.ZIP    Warm boot after n minutes delay, w/ASM source

This was uploaded as requested by an Info-IBMPC subscriber.  Full .ASM
source provided.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:59:57 EDT
From: kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: TXTSHW30.ZIP - Creates customized text screen presentations

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.
TXTSHW30.ZIP    Creates customized text screen presentations

For mono or graphics systems.  Includes an extensive demo of a flashy
screen presentation and the program's capabilities.

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@usasoc.soc.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1991  03:45 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: XDOS320.ZIP - ExtraDOS: Adds the commands that DOS left out

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
XDOS320.ZIP     ExtraDOS: Adds the commands that DOS left out

ExtraDOS Toolbox Professional, Version 3.20, 05/16/91 by Foley Hi-Tech
Systems

The author says:

"ExtraDOS is a compilation of tools useful to Microsoft DOS users.  I
originally wrote these tools under MS-DOS because I found a need for
them and there were no commercially available products which provided
these functions.  Some ExtraDOS tools were designed to enhance programs
already found in MS-DOS.  Other tools were familiar to the Unix world,
but were not available in MS-DOS.  In addition, ExtraDOS compliments
PC-Tools and Norton Utilities with added tools these programs do not
provide."

a list of the programs that are included in the package gives much more
detail.

This file was obtained directly from the author's BBS.  I did not
repack it, although I was tempted to break it into two ZIPs because of
the size: 602349 bytes.  Complaints about this to the author, please,
not to me.

Keith
- - -
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or     w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz              BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #142
-------