Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/19/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Tue, 18 Jun 91       Volume 91 : Issue 149

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                      Borland support via Internet
                      Re: Egghead Software address
                     English/Hebrew word processors
                    Index For <MSDOS.PCMAG> (2 msgs)
          Low-density, High-Density 3 1/2 diskettes (V91 #143)
                      NCSA Telnet driver for 3c503
                            The Death of SAA
                   Using Old Wordstar with Hard Disk
                               XMS memory

Today's Queries:
         Batch file termination after execution of NCSA Telnet
                  BGI-Driver for Tseng ET-4000 wanted
                      DIF file format Info wanted
                       Re: Drive Refresh problem
                         FAX under Windows 3.0
               Medical accounting and/or datbase software
                       Info on VGA1024-1MB wanted
                      Help with Windows 3.0 needed
             Printing to a Personal LaserWriter NT Printer
         Telling the difference between 360K and 1.2m diskettes
                              Wizard of Oz

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 20:56 GMT
From: Eric Swenson <0003962594@mcimail.com>
Subject: Borland support via Internet?

> While Borland supplies support for their software products on
> CompuServe (GO BOR), do they also have a CompuServe account name to
> which non-CompuServe users can send mail?  And will Borland respond to
> non-CompuServe users?

There is an address, bugs@borland.com, to which bugs in language
products can be addressed.  They are forwarded to the appropriate folks
for bug reporting; however, we do not currently provide tech support
via the internet.

-- Eric Swenson (ejs@borland.com, Borland R&D)

------------------------------

Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 1991 23:06:49 EDT
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kendra.kew.com>
Subject:   Re: Egghead Software address

> I saw your note in the info-ibm list where you mentioned a software co
> named Egghead Software.  Could you send me their phone number if it
> isn't too much trouble for you?

Egghead is 1-800-EGGHEAD.  The DOS 5.0 upgrade is good through 10 July
1991 in the USA only.

-ahd-
--
Drew Derbyshire
Internet:       ahd@kendra.kew.com         U.S. Mail: 108 Decatur St, Apt 9

Note:  I have NO connection with Egghead Software other than as a
       satisified customer.

 Swap read error.  You lose your mind.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 10:04:10 EDT
From: pilant@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Pilant)
Subject: English/Hebrew word processors

Mario Castelou Goertzel <mg2p+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>   I have a friend who needs to write a dissertation in both Hebrew and
>English.  She is planning on purchasing a new computer, either a mac or
>pc compatible.  I need information on English/Hebrew word processors
>for both systems.  I'm particularly interested in how the English and
>Hebrew integrate, printing and system compatibility.

My brother andy has written an editor that does just this.  It has on
screen fonts and will happily handle the right-to-left nature of
hebrew.  I am not all that familiar with the program as I have no
present need for it, but he does, and he also recently spent several
years in Israel.  Drop him a message at 73730.2423@compuserve.com for
more info.

					/jeff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 4:21:42 CDT
From: Arch Brooks <abrooks@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Subject: Index For <MSDOS.PCMAG>

Does a means for locating a specific program on the PC Magazine
<MSDOS.PCMAG> sub directory exist?

I need to locate a specific program, however the material is stored in
VolxNxx format.

I've found no index or VolxNxx Cross Reference listing yet!

I thank you in advance for your assistance!

Regards
Arch

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 06:49:03 MDT
From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

>I've found no index or VolxNxx Cross Reference listing yet!

The index is in the SIMIBM.IDX file.  This file lists a brief
description of ALL the files available here.

You might also grab a shorter 00-INDEX.TXT from each subdirectory that
lists the files in that subdirectory and provides a brief description.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

------------------------------

Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1991 09:16:20 EDT
From: "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kendra.kew.com>
Subject: Low-density, High-Density 3 1/2 diskettes (V91 #143)

> Date: Thu, 30 May 91 13:12:05 TUR
> From: Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT%TREARN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>

> My solution (actually, Matti Aarnio told me this :) was to remove the
> drive, find the detector that looks for that hole (a mechanical
> switch), remove the detector, solder two wires in its place, and
> connect a switch at the end of the wires. Now, when I want 720K
> diskettes, I flick the switch, format with appropriate options. When I
> need 1.44, flick the switch the other way, and format.

> I always format my regular-density 3 1/2 diskettes at high capacity,
> and never had trouble. I heartily recommend the above solution as it
> works like a charm -- provided you don't mind fiddling with the drive.
> I have been using it over a year.     Regards, -turgut

Here we go again ...  I don't heartily recommend any solution which
suggests trying to exceed what the vendor recommends for hardware (or,
for that matter, software).  I don't recommend any such solution at all.
Buy the right density disks, and use the proper switches with FORMAT to
format them; the data you save may be your own.

-ahd-

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 03:46:46 MEZ
From: "Gisbert W.Selke" <S00100%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: NCSA Telnet driver for 3c503

On 7 May, Jayen Vaghani  asked about using 3c503 and twisted pair
ethernet together with NCSA Telnet.

First of all, I'm not at all sure that 3c503 drive twisted pair
ethernet - at least, we have 3c503's and have ordinary thin ethernet.

Then, assuming the number's right, yes, you can do it exactly the way
we do it: install the 3c503 packet driver from the Clarkson packet
driver collection (obtainable from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, from Simtel
and other places - I don't  have the name of the archive file here on
my cuffs, but I can look itup if you need help). Then tell NCSA
FTP/Telnet to use its built-in packet driver interface.

Hope this helps.
\Gisbert            <s00100@dbnrhrz1.bitnet>       WIdO, Bonn, Germany

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 0:12:35 CDT
From: david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp)
Subject: The Death of SAA

InfoWorld recently announced that IBM has given up the SAA project in
favor of a new one called Open Systems Architecture.  I think IBM
should take a different perspective on the support of their
too-many-faceted environment.  The main reason for the SAA concept was
to allow newer devices, such as PC's and windowed terminals and
workstations, to remain compatible with older devices such as 3270
terminals and their derivatives.  This places too many restrictions on
the interface of these newer devices, which are capable of
fundamentally more flexible interactions than the older technology.

The problem in the IBM world is not their mainframes nor the software
they run.  The problem is on the desktop, in the form on minions of
older technology devices.  IBM is committed to either supporting these
devices or to require that the users upgrade to modern equipment.  The
sheer number of installed devices makes the latter difficult.  I am
guessing that IBM would prefer the former if it could be sold to the
community.

I propose a moderate approach.  This would allow minimal changes to the
hardware base, but allow the software user interfaces to advanc-the-art
techn-the-art technology.

1)  Require that all synchronous terminals be replaced with PC's
bearing emulator cards.  This would allow the wiring plant to remain
intact, but allow the desktop technology to advance.

2)  Prepare PC software to use the sychronous channel to interchange
advanced protocols, such as TCP/IP and OSI.  The FTP Inc. packet driver
or NDIS specifications are suitable for this work, in the MsDos
environment.

3)  Prepare mainframe software to understand the new protocols being
transferred on the synchronous channels.  This can include
modifications to the existing FAL product.

4)  Interface the mainframes with global networks as needed.

5)  Now that each PC is a network node, simply use any of the existing
products to interface the PC with other hosts.  This can include 3270
emulation prducts, NFS clients, etc.

6)  Provide mainframe services suitable to the environment, such as
file and process service.  Reduce the need to login to access mainframe
resources.

This approach would reduce the need for IBM-specific user interfaces,
allowing IBM users to integrate naturally into the larger family of
products.  It would boost the functionality and popularity of the
mainframes, because the users could access them without learning the
details of the custom operating environments.  It would keep IBM's
existing users happy by minimizing the need for hardware upgrades,
especially in the communications wiring.  Most important, it would make
the evolution to newer interfaces and desktop systems efficient.

I hope IBM is listening, and can act on these ideas before they attempt
to require all third party and internal software to be rewritten to an
untried and unsold specification.  -David-

# david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     David J. Camp                #
# david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584              #
# ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God Loves Material Things." #

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 18:07:00 EST
From: "Joel Elliott (jeliot@unc)" <JELIOT%UNC.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Using Old Wordstar with Hard Disk

I'm working with a user who insists on his old copy of Wordstar (3.2 I
believe).  I remember that there were some standard tricks for allowing
it to work with hard drives and DOS subdirectories.  Can anyone
remember and if so would you tell me how?  I think I remember something
about using the SUBST command to force WS to recognize/work with
subdirectories.

Thanks for any help,
Joel Elliott

[If you SUBST the complete path you want to work with into another
drive, Wordstar will like it just fine.  gph]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 08:06 EST
From: Michael Gordon <GORDONM@MAX.CC.DENISON.EDU>
Subject: XMS memory

>>I have a 386 with 640K base and 3Meg extended memory.  Before running
>>WINDOWS v3.0, the MEM command says "3Meg extended RAM, 3Meg available".
>>After running windows (enhanced mode) and exiting, MEM reports "3Meg
>>extended RAM, 0 available".  The only device driver I have loaded
>>HIMEM.SYS (the XMS driver) [...]

>The memory is still available, but your -old - memory utility is not
>aware of it

Not precisely true: the memory is still there, but once HIMEM.SYS has
used it, by going into Windows, it takes it all. So it isn't available
to other applica- tions, which is why MEM says 0 available.

Michael D. Gordon       Internet: gordonm@cc.denison.edu
Department of History   Bitnet:          gordonm@denison
Denison University      VoiceMail:        (614) 587-6588
Granville, OH 43023     FAX:              (614) 587-6417

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 15:42:11 EDT
From: JHEWIT@BOWDOIN.EDU (JON HEWITT (AKA HEWEY))
Subject: Batch file termination after execution of NCSA Telnet

Does anyone have an idea on why a batch file stops after running NCSA
Telnet or what can be done to continue executing batch file commands
after using Telnet?  I would like an in-memory program to stop
functioning once the user quits Telnet.

[How about forwarding the batch file for analysis?]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 13:25:16 GMT
From: roe@uni-paderborn.de (Carsten Aisch)
Subject: BGI-Driver for Tseng ET-4000 wanted !

Does anybody know, how to get a BGI-driver for my new graphic card: It
contains the Tseng ET-4000 chip. Its name: "2 the max 4000"

I'll be happy, if anyone could help me, getting a driver for the
highest resolution (1024 x 768 pixels, 256 colors).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 22:37 CDT
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: DIF file format

I need information on the DIF file format.  I am writing a program in
Turbo Pascal that must import data in DIF format that is downloaded
weekly from a remote system.  If anyone can tell me where I can find
the format specs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Roden
University of Arkansas at Little Rock

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 14:44:03 U
From: Greg Kaisen <Greg_Kaisen%YCCATSMTP.YCC.YALE.EDU@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Re: Drive Refresh problem

Does anyone know why my disk drive doen't seem to know when i've
changed disks?.

I have an IBM XT into which I've recently installed a 3.5" drive.  This
works well enough eexcept that in trying to install programs via the
new drive, I realized that the drive was not detecting when one disk
was removed and a new one inserted.  This was verified at the DOS level
by putting one disk in the drive, taking a DIR, then changing the
disks, and getting the same DIR listing for both disks.

My DOS is version 3.3, and the floppy controller is capable of
supporting 1.44 meg or 720K disk drives (in other words, not the
original IBM Floppy controller)  It seems to me I remember a patch or
utility program that could force the disk change line (pin 34 on the
cable/drive) low, which would cause the DIR to be refreshed, any
ideas???

Greg  (Kaisen@YALEVM)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 91 12:36:59 ARG
From: Luis MAGNI <atina!fmcba.sld.edu.ar!luis@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: FAX under Windows 3.0

Does anyone know a small package that send and receive fax under
Windows 3.0.  I hear about FaxIt, but I want to test a demo or public
domain program first... I only want a simple editor, WYSIWYG
environment, ans simple keystrokes to send a fax.

Thanks in Advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1991 9:19:44 EDT
From: J_GRADY@UNHH.UNH.EDU (John Grady)
Subject: Medical accounting and/or datbase software

My sister is starting her own practice as a physical therapist and is
in need of an accounting and or database system.  I know nothing about
accounting, but I assume her needs would be similar to that of a
physician's or dentist's private practice, e.g. billing, invoicing,
treatment history, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing what packages or combination of packages
are in use and opinions of their cost, value, reliability and ease of
use.  I should mention that she has never used any computer system to
date, so ease of use may turn out to be an important factor.

Thanks in advance.

John Grady
Chemistry Dept.
Univ. of N.H.
j_grady@unhh.unh.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 00:52:39 EST
From: "Kelvin Thompson" <KTHOMPSO@novell.business.uwo.ca>
Subject: Info on VGA1024-1MB wanted

My Beast is an Intel386, 4M Ram, 85M HD, and a wonderful TATUNG analog
super-vga capable monitor. The video board is called VGA1024-1MB.
(Populated with 1M mem DRAM) With this card, I can get 1024x768x256.
Wonderful.

Sad part is, the manual (if you can call 10 sheets of paper folded in
half a manual) does not explain a thing!  Absolutely no info on its
chipset or video mode values, etc. I use my system extensively for
graphics, animation (or at least am trying, anyway!) and have need of
this info. Does anyone know anything (!) about this card, programming
it, etc?? --thanks in advance.

Thanks
"Storm"    {Internet: kthompso@novell.business.uwo.ca}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 91 00:52:39 EST
From: "Kelvin Thompson" <KTHOMPSO@novell.business.uwo.ca>
Subject: Help with Windows 3.0 needed

On my system, described in the previous message, I also run WINDOWS
3.0.  I sucessfully installed the driver I recieved with the card so
that part works. Windows will not let me run a DOS app in a window in
any mode.  The main thing I would like to do is run my modem software
(R2Call, using a Packard Bell 'Internal Super Modem 2400' on Com3) in
the background (especially during a long ftp) while I do something
else.

No matter how I play with the PIF file, I can't run this program.  I
have to run R2Call from the DOS prompt (have to exit Windows) because
when I press the hotkey for the online menu, no matter what the hotkey
is set to), the screen blurps back to windows and before the window is
half formed, reboots my machine! Isn't that special!

I don't know. If anyone can help, PLEASE, Any help will be appreciated.

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 18:44:06 BST
From: SMR49%hull.ac.uk@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Printing to a Personal LaserWriter NT Printer

Dear List Colleagues

I am trying to print from a TandonPCA 286/12 SL to an Apple Macintosh
Personal Laserwriter NT Printer.  Instead of a regular printer cable I
am using an RS-232 serial cable with a 9-pin port and a 25-pin port

Does anyone have experience doing this?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 91 19:34:03 EDT
From: Glenn Shorrock <R23754%UQAM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Telling the difference between 360K and 1.2m diskettes

The review of Pctools' Backup utility in the June 11th PC Magazine
says:" Because it's impossible to tell visually whether an unlabeled
5.25-inch floppy disk is high-density or low-density, ...".  This is
news to me.  I've always thought that the low-density diskettes have a
reinforcement ring around the big hole in the centre; something the
high-density diskettes I've seen don't have.  Am I right, or have I
just been lucky, so far?

Glenn Shorrock

Math Dept.
Univ. du Quebec a Montreal
r23754@uqam.bitnet
shorrock@info.uqam.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1991 12:01 MET
From: Wouter van Joolingen <WMORWVJ%urc.tue.nl@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Wizard of Oz

I am looking for a program (or set of programs) enabling a "Wizard of
Oz" link between two PC's. The link should be established as follows:

- PC1 runs a program, PC2 also shows the program output on its monitor.

- The person behind PC2 has the posibility to intervene: s/he can send
messages to PC1 which appear in a text window or something similar.

We would like to use this design for experimentation with educational
programs, to simulate a tutor module. I know that this design has been
used before, I don't know if it has been done on PC's

Any information is welcome,
Thanks in advance

Wouter van Joolingen
Eindhoven University of Technology