Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/21/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Thu, 20 Jun 91       Volume 91 : Issue 156

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                  Logitech Mouse Programmer's Toolkit

Today's Queries:
                          Purchasing Software
                          serial port problem
         Strip LF's going to printer, Macro-maker type program
                     PD Backup Programs available?

New Upload:
        KwikStat v2.12 menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 7 Jun 91 17:41:13 GMT
From: sorrow@oak.circa.ufl.edu
Subject: Logitech Mouse Programmer's Toolkit

I finally ordered the Logitech Mouse Programmer's Toolkit for 25 bucks
+ shipping.  And it is AWESOME!

This thing blows away the Microsoft Mouse Programmer's Reference (a
laughable piece of work to begin with) so badly it's scary.  For
example, Logitech provides low level information (line values, how to
decode the byte stream from the moues, etc. ), technical info (the
differences between mice and how to determine them using the DTR and
and some other line), programming information that is VERY complete
(including why certain returns occur, how to do things the right way,
what the parameters REALLY mean, etc.), an ASM library that implements
ALL of the calls (and it is compilable with MASM and TASM in large and
small model, and the routines are callable from C, ASM, and Pascal, and
Modula 2), code fragments in C, Modula-2, and ASM, a working demo, .OBJ
code for the libraries (if you don't have ASM), etc. etc.

The reference book also includes do's and don'ts (MS is severaly
lacking on this) and just completely does not leave any question
unanswered.  It includes two diskettes (3.5 and 5.25") containing the
libraries and a READ.ME file.

For all interested, this is the best, period.  Compared to the MS
Programmer's Reference...heh heh...sad sad sad sad sad....

I don't have the address (work ordered it) but a previous posting did
have the address.  You must order it directly from Logitech.

Oh yeah, it is 100% MS compatible (but includes clearly marked Logitech
extensions to the driver).

After receiving a slew of inquiries as to the Logitech Mouse
Programmer's Toolkit, here is the pertinent information.

Title:   "LOGITECH Mouse: Technical Reference and Programmer's Guide"
Printed:  July 1990
Doc #:    PUB 620190-01 Rev A

The Toolkit consists of the following:

1 Manual ("Logitech Mouse: Technical Reference and Programming Guide"
1 5.25" Disk
1 3.5" Disk

Both diskettes contain the following:

Lowlevel ASM (TASM and MASM compatible) interface code (INT33H stuff)
MSC source code to example programs (3 of them) .OBJ code to the
interface routines (in case you don't have an assembler) Compiled
example files README files, etc.

As for the manual, the list of its contents are too long and too all
encompassing to list here.  However a partial list follows:

HARDWARE
Serial Mice
Section I: Microsoft-Compatible Serial Mice, Type M Group
   Hardware Interface
      Connector Pin Assignments
      Data Transmission
   Programming Interface
      Data Formats
      Reporting Mode
      Mouse Commands
Section II: The Programmable Serial Mouse, Type C
   Hardware Interface
   Programming Interface
      Data Formats (as above)
      Reporting Modes
      Mouse Comands
      Format and Mode in ASCII
      Copyright and Revision in ASCII
      Summary of Commands
   Compatibility with Other Mice
   Compatibility with Mouse Systems Corporation Mouse
Section III: Detection and Initialization of Logitech Serial Mice
   Detection and Initialization
      Type M Group Serial Mice
      Type C Serial Mice
THE PIX MOUSE
   (as above, including)
   Data Transmission
   Programming Interface
THE BUS MOUSE
   (as above, including)
    Register Description and Mapping
    Software Protocol
SOFTWARE
   DOS Languages for Mouse Software
   Creating Mouse Based Software
STANDARD MOUSE DRIVER FUNCTIONS
   List of functions 0-36 including examples in ASM, MOD-2, and C
EGA REGISTER FUNCTIONS
   List of EGA Registers and functions
APPENDIX
   Logitech Product Support Plan

As you can see, it lists quite a lot.  I find it invaluable.

If you would like to order it, I believe you can get it from their
customer service desk @415-795-0801.  In Europe, call +41-21-869-9851

The Logitech BBS can be found at 415-795-0408 (3000/1200/2400,8,n,1)

I am not affiliated with Logitech in ANY way.  I don't even have their
address.  I just think they really, really, really, make MS look STUPID
and IRRESPONSIBLE with their crappy MS Mouse Programmer's Reference.
Blech.

Brian
/*
Brian Hook -- MS-DOS Programmer for Contract
*/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 09:22:30 CDT
From: Terry Lewis <##30%UTMARTN.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Purchasing Software

Our purchasing department still does most of their business manually.
Their bid process has never been automated.  Does anyone know or have
any good software written specifically for a university purchasing
department?

Terry Lewis
Programmer/Analyst
University of Tennessee, Martin
##30@UTMARTN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 91 12:07 MET
From: "Norval Smith" <NSMITH@ALF.LET.UVA.NL>
Subject: serial port problem

I have a Taiwanese AT clone - the case says "Sherry", but the manual
says "Mandax" - with one serial port (on a serial/parallel/game card).
I recently bought a cheapo second card with of the same type but with
two serial ports, and 9 and 25 pin connectors, so that I could use my
mouse and modem without switching plugs all the time.

However, I have run into the problem that the new card is (virtually)
unrecognized by the computer.

1) if the old card is configured for COM 1, and the new one for COM 2
and COM 3 only  COM 1 is recognized (by SYSID, PC-TOOLS, KERMIT, etc.).

2) if the old card is configured for COM 2, and the new one for COM 1
and COM 3 no serial port is recognized.

3) if only the new card is present SYSID apparently recognizes the
presence of a serial port using 2400 baud (the old card is recognized
as 1200 baud) but it doesn't actually work, and is not recognized by
the Mouse software at bootup.  The parallel port on the card is
recognized by the way, giving me a total of three parallel ports,
although none of the sparse literature on these cards so much as
mentions the possibility of LPT 3.

Have bought a dud, or am I doing something wrong? The plastic sheathing
on my jumpers is beginning to crack!

Norval Smith
Institute for General Linguistics
University of Amsterdam

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 15:56:04 CDT
From: jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu
Subject: Strip LF's going to printer, Macro-maker type program

Hello everyone,

  Firstly, let me thank all the people who already tried to answer my
question about stripping LF's.  Everyone suggested that I should check
my DIP switches.  This is true for most normal cases and, indeed, it is
something that I did a long time ago.

  I also obviously didn't give all the proper information.  The problem
is with the following configuration:

    Eagle PC XT
    Epson FX-100 (with CR Dip switch set to CR, not CR/LF)

  The problem is that whenever I print, even from the DOS level, the
printer automatically double-spaces.  There is no problem with the
printer -- it is in perfect working order (I had it checked three
times).  The problem is with the computer.  This is a really old PC and
it has a strange configuration.  The computer is apparently configured
to automagically add a LF to every CR that gets output to the printer.
Unfortunately, this is causing the printer to double space.  There is a
program from the original DOS (v 1.25) that changes this, but it is
incompatible with MS-DOS 3.3, which is what I run on the computer.

  The problem lies in the fact that, in addition to the computer adding
an LF, both DOS and WordPerfect also print only CR/LF combinations.  In
other words, when I print from DOS or WordPerfect I get a CR/LF/LF,
resulting in double-spacing on the Epson.  If I print from Lotus 1-2-3
and set it not to send a LF after a CR, it prints single spaced on the
printer.

  Basically, I am looking for a software utility which will strip at
least one of the LF's out.  I was told that there was a utility like
this called LF.COM in one of the old Tandy DOS's.  Unfortunately, i
have no access to that.

  If anyone wants to send me (or tell me where I can FTP) a similar
utility, PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

  Also, my boss asked me if there is any utility that is capable of
storing every keystroke that is typed in to a file.  It seems that we
have a malicious user who wants to make us look really bad (we outbid
him) and has been messing around with our data, trying to make a
database program we wrote bomb.  We want to catch this person and this
is the first step.

Thank you,
Joel N. Fischoff
jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu    <----- preferred account
acslabjnf@depaul.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 91 11:28:05 MDT
From: tims@goshawk.LANL.GOV (Tim Sullivan)
Subject: PD Backup Programs available?

I've been searching for public domain programs to back up a small (40
Mb) hard disk to floppies under DOS. I don't seem to be getting much
response other places on the net, so I thought I'd ask the digest for
the definitive answer that such a beast doesn't exist.

I was hoping that the hypothetical program worked faster than the DOS
backup command, was less susceptible to interruptions, and used
compression to reduce the number of disks. I know that such programs
are available commercially for around $100 (having read the latest PC
Magazine review of backup programs), but even that stretches my budget.
(It also seemed like just the kind of program that someone would write
for public domain, since it is needed by everybody.)

Thanks for any help.

Tim Sullivan (tims@goshawk.lanl.gov)

------------------------------

Subject: New Upload:
Date: 11 Jun 91 07:47:58 GMT
From: ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi)
Subject: KwikStat v2.12 menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg

BLACKMANW@URVAX.URICH.EDU (Webb Blackman) writes:
[...]
>pd1:<msdos.statistics>
>KS212_1.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-1of3
>KS212_2.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-2of3
>KS212_D.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-3of3
>
>KwikStat, version 2.12, is a menu-driven statistical data analysis
>package written by a professional statistical consultant.  Contains
>commonly needed data analyis procedures and graphs.  Reads and writes
>dBASE and ASCII files.  ASP
>
>KS212_D.ZIP contains a demo of how to use KwikStat.

I have tried to take a close look at this one and came to the following
conclusion.  Breaks Timo's 10 minute rule: "If an experienced user who
is not familiar with the particular program is still practically stuck
after the first ten minutes, the user interface of a PD or a shareware
program is unacceptable, however good and useful the application may
otherwise be".  On the other hand with a program of this caliber it is
understandable, but certainly not a merit to the program.  The demo
does not save the situation.  Note that no flame is involved.  I just
want to draw fellow programmers' attention to this too often neglected
aspect for our mutual benefit.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #156