Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/22/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 21 Jun 91       Volume 91 : Issue 157

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
                           masm 6.0 and bugs
           Re: MS-DOS v5.0 Release Date 11th June (addendum)
                        MS-Kermit problem solved
                     Quarterdeck Technical Support

Today's Queries:
                          286 --> 386 upgrade
                 800x600 Windows graphics card drivers
                    Graphic Window lib. for TURBO C
         How to recover from a destroyed .EXE by McAfee Clean?
                        JUKI Serial printer info
                                  LAN
                         Lotus 123 v3.0 problem
                       output from VGA on TV set
                         PC DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE
             RE: Information on Go PenPoint / MS PenWindows
                    problems with WP5.1 and WORD 5.0
                             Troff to Latex
                    Using Laser Printers for Banners
                Manual for 8 Bit Hays 1200 Modem needed
                   Software for PS/2 Model 30 wanted

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: 14 Jun 91 04:32:10 GMT
From: u8902741@cs.uow.edu.au (Kiddie)
Subject: masm 6.0 and bugs

Having just bought masm 6.0 and converting a large project to it, I've
found that the /Zm option, as is stated, works fine. This says that
MASM 6 (or ML as its now called) will run in old 5.1 mode. I wanted to
take this out and run only as 6.0.  I converted the source code over to
the new format.

In doing this, I encountered a small problem. ML now assembles and
links in one step. My project is about 9 files so i only wanted to
assemble and produce the .OBJ files. ML has a /c option which means
"Done call the linker". I used this and it assembled fine but didn't
produce the
.OBJ file.

After amany hours, i realised what the problem was.  If you call ML
with something like "ML /c file" it assembles and stops.  If you call
it with "ML /c file.asm" It produces the .OBJ file. Why does it need
the .asm extension to produce the .OBJ file ?. In the first case, it's
still assembling because it will find errors in the file. Strange.

Its now a n pass assembler rather than 2 pass assembler. This makes the
assembler directives IF1 and IF2 invalid.  It comes with a better make
It has a integrated development enviroment.  It has a C .h to ASM .INC
convertor for 6data structures and constants Thats all i can think of
from the top of my head, there are many more though

Anyway, i hope this has helped anyone getting masm 6.07from spending
time on the same problem i did.

-- _--_|\      Kevin Withnall
3:712/206.0>Fidonet /      \     u8902741@wyvern.cs.uow.edu.au
\_.--._/     Wollongong University Australia
      v      Lassie was a scrap dog.

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jun 91 07:20:18 GMT
From: bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT)
Subject: Re: MS-DOS v5.0 Release Date 11th June (addendum)

In article <72917@microsoft.UUCP> I wrote:

   [concerning EMM386 and WIN /2 conflict]

%% My educated guess is that we will fix this in the next release of
%% Windows (along with obviating WINA20.386).  Note that the conflict
%% only arises when you use EMM386 for UMB support.  You can turn
%% off UMB, and the problem will go away.  This will at least allow
%% you to run in standard mode, although maybe not under the memory
%% configuration you would like.

I want to clarify this a bit.  While the UMB support does cause this
conflict, so will EMS.  That is, if EMM386 has actually allocated and
used EMS on behalf of some application, Windows will not run in
standard mode.  For example, add the lines

    device=c:\dos\emm386.exe on
    device=c:\dos\ramdrive.sys /a

to CONFIG.SYS and reboot.  This creates a RAM-drive in expanded memory.
Now WIN /S (or WIN /2) will generate the familiar "can't run" message.

Also, the question was raised "why does QEMM work?".  It appears that
QEMM works by patching the Windows DOS extender (DOSX.EXE).  If true,
this is extremely version-bound; I've heard that the QEMM version that
works in Windows 3.00 breaks in Windows 3.00A.  All this is from
unverified sources within MS; you'd have to contact Quarterdeck for the
real scoop.

--  NOTE:  The above is mine alone; I do NOT speak for Microsoft.

--  Bob Schmidt        bobsc@microsoft.UUCP

--  Bellevue WA USA    Windows SDK Support
--  Sydney NSW AUS     Developer Support (after 1 Oct)

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jun 91 20:47:14 GMT
From: acarlson@laurel.math.umass.edu (Adam Carlson)
Subject: MS-Kermit problem solved
Comment: Forwarded by Keith Petersen

Some time ago, I posted a question to this newsgroup regarding two
things I wanted to do in kermit.  One was set kermit to use com3: and
IRQ 5 and the other was how to automatically do something upon exit
from kermit (but not when pushing to a dos shell).  I would like to
thank all who answered (Mark Granoff, Joe Doupnik, Bo Kullmar, Margaret
Wilson, Dave Mausner and Frank da Cruz) and also to apologize for
taking so long to summarize.  Anyway, for those who are still
interested:

To set a particular port/irq/address, you do:

SET COMx <address> <irq> (in my case, SET COM3 \x3e8 \5) and then
SET PORT COM3

(note: irq selection is only supported in 3.10) another way to do this
is to define a DOS variable called kermit with all the set commands you
want (except leave out the "set").  I.E. at DOS say

SET KERMIT=BAUD 38400;COM3 \x3e8 \5; etc
or if you don't have room for all your defines, you can define
KERMIT1, KERMIT2 etc.

to get an exit command, define the macro ON_EXIT to whatever you want
and it will be called when kermit is quited, byed or exited.

Adam Carlson                  | It's good to know that if I behave
acarlson@math.umass.edu       | strangely enough, society will take
Statistical Consulting Center | full responsibility for me.
UMass @ Amherst               | - Ashleigh Brilliant

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 91 07:31:38 GMT
From: stern@ims.alaska.edu (Pete Stern)
Subject: Quarterdeck Technical Support
Comment: Forwarded by Keith Petersen

Contact Telephone Numbers and Times for users of Quarterdeck Office
Systems Software

The following information was provided to me on June 13, 1991 by Eric
Wieling of QOS, for public distribution.

Quarterdeck Office Systems is providing technical support to registered
users from 2 AM - 5 PM PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) at 1-213-392-9701.
During the time period of 2 AM - 8 AM PDT, calls are being
automatically forwarded to the QOS Support Center located in Dublin
Ireland. Between 8 AM and 5 PM PDT calls are handled by technicians in
Santa Monica CA.

European registered users can reach the Dublin Support Center at
353-1-284-4144 between 9 AM - 5 PM GMT.

UK users can phone 44-71-973-066 to reach the Dublin Office.

Sales offices (no tech support yet)

Germany 49-211-59-7900 France  33-1-45-067691

Anyone using the QOS FAX support 1-213-399-3802 should receive a reply
within 48 hours during normal working days. If you do not receive a
reply, try again.

The QOS BBS number is 1-213-396-3904.

provided by

Peter Stern
DVNet Headquarters 1:17/38
06-13-1991

Peter Stern                    stern@ims.alaska.edu
Box 60285                      pstern@f38.n17.z1.fidonet.org
Fairbanks AK 99706             65' North DVNet Headquarters BBS

------------------------------

Subject: Today's Queries:
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:17 PDT
From: Sanjay Srivastava <IBC6SXS@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: 286 --> 386 upgrade

I am planning to upgrade my 286/12 Mz. system to a 386SX one. Instead
of buying a complete motherboard, I'd like to buy one of the SNAP-IN
cards that go directly into 286 sockets.

There are many such products in the market; SOTA, AOX, CUMULUS, 3EST,
ALL COMPUTER, KINGSTON and MICROWAY being some of the companies that
market such products. However the price varies from $279 to $799.  The
questions of clock speed and compatibility with BIOS chip and the 287
coprocessor need to be answered before a proper choice can be made.

A discussion of the merit/demerit of these products will be of great
interest to people with 286 systems. Your input will be greatly
appreciated.

Sanjay Srivastava
IBC6SXS@OAC.UCLA.EDU
SRIVASTAVA@UCLAPH.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 21:56:19 -0700
From: Matthew Curfmanm <curfmanm@oes.orst.edu>
Subject: 800x600 Windows graphics card drivers

I'm looking for some 800x600 drivers for Windows 3.0.  Are there any
FTP sites that contain something like that for the Paradise VGA+ video
cards?

Matt Curfman
curfmanm@oes.orst.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 14:50:31 MDT
From: Martin Molhanec <MOLHANEC%CSEARN@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Graphic Window lib. for TURBO C

	I would like to find a freeware or shareware graphic library
for TURBO C version 2.00 or C++. I really want to find a good and
simple graphic window management routines.

Any ideas on where to look?  Thank You.

Ing. Martin Molhanec
Czech Technical University in Prague
Czechoslovakia

					E-mail: MOLHANEC@CSEARN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue Jun 11 19:46:48 1991
From: "Javier Argomedo" <R5ANU207%UTFSM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: How to recover from a destroyed .EXE by McAfee Clean?

Hi, Just yesterday I had my first encounter with a virus, it was the
simple and well known Jerusalem, (Jeru for the Scan), in a friend's
home. But when i run the McAfee Clean (Version 75  (C ??)), in his hard
disk, it destroyed two programs, one was compilated with turbo-C (i
don't have the source), and a graphics program...

  When i try to run one of this, the DOS respond to me with an 'Error
in EXE file'...

   Anybody knows the problem ?? somebody from McAfee ??

                    Javier Argomedo Zazzali
                    Electronic Engineering Student
                    Valparaiso, Chile.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 12:13 ADT
From: DAVID BROWN <DBROWN@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA>
Subject: JUKI Serial printer info

I just purchased a second-hand JUKI 6300 serial Daisywheel printer,
which unfortunately came with no documentation whatsoever.  I'm rather
new to the particulars of the hardware end of things, and could really
use a little information from any kind soul out there on proper pin
connections, and the right DIP switch settings to hook me into the COM1
port of my 286.

Thanx in advance for any help/advice,
Dave Brown
St. Mary's U. Mathematics Dept.
Halifax, N.S.   Canada

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 22:07:59 -0400
From: jguo@cs.NYU.EDU (Jun Guo)
Subject: LAN

   I want to restrict users' access on a LAN. I don't want them to look
at data files directly, but they should do that through my program. In
LANtastic I can not do that. I think I should be able to register my
program to have access to certain data files. Can that be done on
Novell Netware?

   Thank you very much.
Jun

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 13:19:16 SET
From: Geert Peeraer <GPEERAER%RKC.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Lotus 123 v3.0 problem

We have a problem with a Lotus 123 file when retrieving it. 123 starts
retrieving the file and after a while we get some strange effects with
that file. Mostly we get an error: DOS123 error: overlay system
failure. Lotus stops working and you get back into dos. Sometimes we
get into the spreadsheet but then the spreadsheet is completely empty
although 9% of the working space is used. We never get the information
we want. It's a file of about 111 Kbytes and we believe that 123 is
installed correctly (We tried this out on several machines and only
this one particular file causes this problem).

Is there someone out there who can help us?

                          Thanks in advance
                          Geert Peeraer

UFSIA Computing Centre (Antwerp Belgium)
e-mail:      gpeeraer@banufs11
    or:      gpeeraer@rkc.ufsia.ac.be

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 09:40:52 MDT
From: KLVANA Frantisek <KLVANA%CSPUNI12@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: output from VGA on TV set

Up today, I have used for the computer assistance of my lectures a PC
computer (XT) with CGA videocard with direct output on standart TV sets
in a lecture room. Now I want to change the computer to better one (AT,
386) with VGA videocard.

    The question is:
    - Are there some simple possibilities to use the output from this
VGA videocard to TV sets directly or throw simple PAL coder?

    - Has somebody some experiences with displaying the computer output
on TV sets?

    - Does some special proffesional videocards exist for this purpose?
Thank you in advance.

                           F. Klvana

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 91 10:54:00 EDT
From: "DRCV06::OPER1" <oper1%drcv06.decnet@drcvax.af.mil>
Subject: PC DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE.

  I need some information on some GOOD PC Diagnostic Software.  What
I need is a commercial package that has:

1) Serial (9 & 25 pin) loopback plugs.
2) Parallel loopback plug.
3) Floppy Drive diagnostic disk (5.25 & 3.5)
4) Software that will check out the PC, CMOS, HD's, Keyboard, Video,
printer, etc...

I need approximate prices & names and addresses of possible candidates.

Thanx, Glenn Andrews.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 12:52 U
From: <KWANGHAN%ITIVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: RE : Information on Go PenPoint / MS PenWindows

I'm trying to do development work on the new pen-based computer system.
(Be it GO PenPoint or MS Pen Windows) I would be glad if anyone can
point me to any conferences/discussions on the net.

Or perhaps current developers may like to share their knowledge,
experience & thoughts. Send any information to me. I'll summarise for
whoever is interested.

Tan Kwang Han
Email : KWANGHAN@ITIVAX.BITNET
Voice : (65) 7720 548   [ 65 is my country code, no state code ]
Fax   : (65) 7795 966

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 17:24:55 MEZ
From: Johann Kleer <A44221BA%AWIUNI11.BITNET@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: problems with WP5.1 and WORD 5.0

      I'm in urgent need for help. My AT 286 runs fine without my text
writing programs (WP5.1 and WORD 5.0). I can work 2 or 3 hours and
suddenly the system reboots itself. After the first crash it is
impossible to work longer than 5 minutes. Another time the period until
the first reboot is shorter.

      In WP 5.1 the reboot mostly resulted from marking a block. In
Word 5.0 I found no certain effect which caused the crash.

      My system is checked and ok. The video card is an VGA-card an
also ok.  I have no reason for the crashes||

      Thanks in advance Johann K.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 17:26:34 +0100
From: Meyer "E." Nigri <M.Nigri@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Troff to Latex.

I got the following program from one of simtel directories:

        Troff-to-TeX translator version .93, March 4, 1987.
        Copyright (C) by 1987 Kamal Al-Yahya.

As you can see, this is a very old program, and it should have been
written for an old version of Latex. I tried to contact the author with
no success.

Therefore, I would like to ask you whether you know of any similar
program or a new version of this one, and how I can obtain.

I've got lots of troff-ms texts and I am moving to Latex... So, I would
like to convert those ms files into Latex files automatically.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

JANET:mnigri@uk.ac.ucl.cc
|Dept. of Computer Science
|University College London
|Gower Street
|London WC1E 6BT
|Tel: +44 (0)71-387-7050   ext  3699
| Fax: +44 (0)71-387-1397
|    Telex: 28722     |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 19:44:05 PDT
From: BELL@UCRAC1.UCR.EDU
Subject: Using Laser Printers for Banners

Can you use a laser printer to print banners using continuous
dot-matrix type paper?:

   I have tried to use Word Perfect to print a banner by selecting a
special user defined paper size.  I tried to select a 60" long paper in
landscape mode, but the printer would stop with an error of jammed
paper.  The HP IIP manual was no help, nor was a WP book.  Paul Bell

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 22:49:39 -0700
From: cspatgen@ch3.intel.com (Chris Spatgen @ Intel Corp. 554-8646, CH3-23)
Subject: Manual for 8 Bit Hays 1200 Modem needed

I just inherited an 8-bit Hayes 1200 Internal Modem (Year 1985).
However I did not receive a manual with it. I was wondering if someone
out there could help me with the 6 DIP Switches settings for this
modem.

Thank You,
Chris Spatgen
CSPATGEN@CH3.INTEL.COM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 08:55:44 EDT
From: Steve Greenfield <FEATS%VTVM1.bitnet@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Software for PS/2 Model 30 wanted

I have a PS/2 model 30 on my desk and I was looking for some software
to run on it.  I have access to numerous ftp sites and was wondering if
someone could point me to what I need.

I would like to find the following software, if available:

1)  A 'C' compiler and/or an 8086 assembler.  Does anyone know what
microprocessor comes with the PS/2 Model 30?  An 8086, 80286, or an
80386?  I would like to find a respective assembler!

2)  Hard Disk Manager - maybe something similiar to Q-DOS II

3)  Editor - an XEDIT type if there is one

4)  Chess Game.  Other game suggestions appreciated!

5)  Software that allows you to run MacIntosh software -  there is
software (Access PC) that runs on the MAC that allows PC software to
run, I was hoping the inverse was true

6)  I would be grateful for any suggestions for utilitites that run on
the PS/2 that make life a little easier!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stephen L. Greenfield
Virginia Polytechnic Institute
Blacksburg, Virginia