Info-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL ("Info-IBMPC Digest") (06/22/91)

Info-IBMPC Digest           Fri, 21 Jun 91       Volume 91 : Issue 158

Today's Editor:
         Gregory Hicks - Rota Spain <GHICKS@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.Mil>

Today's Topics:
    EXTAR10.ZIP - Simple TAR unpacker; w/Unix to DOS name conver.
    FDFORM17.ZIP - Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!
         FFT142.ZIP - Fast Fourier transforms, with C source
      GS22.ZIP - Ghostscript 2.2 for BGI/EGA/VGA/Epson/LaserJet
       KwikStat v2.12 menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg
       MOUSLIB5.ZIP - Mouse support unit for Turbo-Pascal v6.0
      PROCESS1.ZIP - Gravity tank simulation for Process Control
           RPTP13.ZIP and RFFSRT11.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20
      SMOOTH11.ZIP - 'Lowness' and 'split linear' data smoothers
      TXS12.ZIP - Fast text search with existential dictionaries
      XMSLB121.ZIP - XMS inteface for Borland/Turbo C[++] & MSC

Send Replies or notes for publication to:
<INFO-IBMPC@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Send requests of an administrative nature (addition to, deletion from
the distribution list, et al) to:
<INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Archives of past issues of the Info-IBMPC Digest are available by FTP
only from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL in directory PD2:<ARCHIVES.IBMPC>.

Date: Sat, 08 Jun 91 02:46:14 MEZ
From: "Gisbert W.Selke" <S00100%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: EXTAR10.ZIP - Simple TAR unpacker; w/Unix to DOS name conver.

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
EXTAR10.ZIP     Simple TAR unpacker; w/Unix to DOS name conver.

Extract from the documentation:

Occasionally, one gets a Unix TAR on an MS-DOS machine and would like
to extract some, or all, of its members; and in fact, there are a
number of programmes around that list TAR contents, extract from them
and even build new ones. So far, so good; but they -- at least the ones
I have encountered so far -- don't cater for file names which are
perfectly valid under Unix but are illegal under MS-DOS. E.g., file
names could contain multiple periods, start with a period, or contain
all sorts of nasty characters that are interpreted as delimiters by DOS
or are not permitted for some reason or other. Trying to extract those
files will just fail. Also, Unix file names are case-sensitive --
hence, a TAR might contain read.me and READ.ME (and possibly Read.Me).
For DOS, these all look the same; hence, extracting one of them will
overwrite the others that have the 'same' name.

Hence I wrote ExTAR, which is a very crude, no-frills utility with one
purpose only: extract all members of a TAR, creating directories as
necessary, and renaming files to make them acceptable to DOS; all the
time taking care not to overwrite any existing files. It does so by
truncating names and converting offending ones to nice ones.

ExTAR does not do any of the fine things the other TAR processors do;
in particular, it does no listing of contents and no error checking.
Also, since I don't have any official documentation of the TAR format,
I may have overlooked certain special features embedded into some... I
don't know, and frankly, I don't care too much. So let's leave it this
way: this is free software, supplied as-is, no guarantees for anything.
Source (TurboPascal 5.5+) is provided; if it doesn't suit your needs,
feel free to hack it.

TapirSoft
Gisbert W.Selke           <s00100@dbnrhrz1.bitnet>
Ermekeilstrasse 28
D-5300 Bonn 1
Germany

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1991 14:10 MET
From: "Jeroen W. Pluimers" <PLUIMERS@rulcri.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject: FDFORM17.ZIP - Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
FDFORM17.ZIP    Floppy disk formatter - up to 1.8 mb per disk!

FDFORMAT, a replacement for the DOS-Format program, has the following
advantages:

1) Supporting 3-1/2"-1.44 MB drives with any BIOS-Versions in ATs and
Clones.

2) Formatting and using of 720/820 kByte disks in AT 5-1/4"-1.2 MByte
Drives using cheap double-density (DD) disks.

3) Increasing the capacity of your disks up to 300 kByte additional
storage.

4) Supporting 3-1/2"-360 kByte format.  This is useful, when you want
to make copies of 5-1/4"-disks to 3-1/2"-disks using DISKCOPY

5) Enhance speed of your diskette I/O up to 100% with sector sliding.
This is a method of physical ordering sectors in a way, that your drive
is ready to read the next logical sector, when your head ad- vances one
track.

6) Improved BOOT-Sector, which automatically boots from harddisk, if
the diskette in drive A: is not a system disk. This allows you to leave
the diskette in drive A;, when you reboot the system.

jeroen
- -
Jeroen W. Pluimers
PLUIMERS%rulcri.leidenuniv.nl@rulway.LeidenUniv.nl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 09 Jun 91 08:44:47 EDT
From: Jim Van Zandt <jrv@mbunix.mitre.org>
Subject: FFT142.ZIP - Fast Fourier transforms, with C source

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.c>
FFT142.ZIP      Fast Fourier transforms, with C source

For the forward transform, both padding and supergaussian windowing are
implemented.  Examples are included showing the effect of windowing.

An '87 numeric coprocessor is used if available.  File formats are the
same as for my GRAPH program.

                            - Jim Van Zandt (jrv@mbunix.mitre.org)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 07:30:16 -0400
From: nate@NEUTRON.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nate Liskov)
Subject: GS22.ZIP - Ghostscript 2.2 for BGI/EGA/VGA/Epson/LaserJet

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20 a complete package of Ghostscript version
2.2 with all required support files and postscript examples as follows:

pd1:<msdos.postscript>
GS22.ZIP        Ghostscript 2.2 for BGI/EGA/VGA/Epson/LaserJet

This archive includes Ghostscript Version 2.2 built from the
distribution source to support viewing of postscript files on the
following devices:

Screen:
	Borland BGI	- requires Borland BGI drivers
	VGA		- Built in
	EGA		- Built in

Printers:
	Epson		- Built in (epson), HP Deskjet	- Built in; HP Laserjet	-
Built in; HP Laserjet IIP	- Built in (ljet2p)

Many thanks to the primary author of Ghostscript, Peter Deutch.

Happy Computing... Nate Liskov
                   nate@neutron.lcs.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 91 07:47:58 GMT
From: ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi)
Subject: KwikStat v2.12 menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg

BLACKMANW@URVAX.URICH.EDU (Webb Blackman) writes:
[...]
>pd1:<msdos.statistics>
>KS212_1.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-1of3
>KS212_2.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-2of3
>KS212_D.ZIP     Menu-driven statistical data analysis pkg-3of3
>
>KwikStat, version 2.12, is a menu-driven statistical data analysis
>package written by a professional statistical consultant.  Contains
>commonly needed data analyis procedures and graphs.  Reads and writes
>dBASE and ASCII files.  ASP
>
>KS212_D.ZIP contains a demo of how to use KwikStat.

I have tried to take a close look at this one and came to the following
conclusion.  Breaks Timo's 10 minute rule: "If an experienced user who
is not familiar with the particular program is still practically stuck
after the first ten minutes, the user interface of a PD or a shareware
program is unacceptable, however good and useful the application may
otherwise be".  On the other hand with a program of this caliber it is
understandable, but certainly not a merit to the program.  The demo
does not save the situation.  Note that no flame is involved.  I just
want to draw fellow programmers' attention to this too often neglected
aspect for our mutual benefit.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:30:50 IDT
From: Loewy_Ron@F51.N405.Z2.FIDONET.ORG
Subject: MOUSLIB5.ZIP - Mouse support unit for Turbo-Pascal v6.0

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
MOUSLIB5.ZIP    Mouse support unit for Turbo-Pascal v6.0

MouseLib is a Turbo-Pascal 6.0 mouse support unit, designed to provide
event driven mouse support, using a standard (default) event handling
mechanism.  The unit includes all of the normal mouse library
functions, (show, hide cursor, define tresh-hold, detect mouse etc..).
mouseLib was used for over a year now, with many programs and products
written by myself, and other programmers.

The public-domain or shareware products that use this library, and that
were released by me up to May 1991 include: app17 - menu application,
txs12 - text search program, 3D110 & WWToolKit - (with Ishai
Ben-Aroya), These programs use both text and graphic displays, the
graphic applications use normal BGI.

Loewy Ron <Loewy_Ron@f51.n405.z2.fidonet.org>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 04:53:59 -0400
From: basher@Outlaw.UWyo.Edu (John A Marsh)
Subject: PROCESS1.ZIP - Gravity tank simulation for Process Control

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.education>
PROCESS1.ZIP    Gravity tank simulation for Process Control

This program simulates what happens when the fluid flow into a gravity
tank is suddenly increased or deacreased.  A gravity tank is a simple
system that has fluid coming in the top of the tank and then coming out
the bottom of the tank through a pipe.  It is designed to aid in the
understanding of process control.  The user can change many variables.
Result printouts can be in the form of tables or low resolution graphs.

The program is free.  The source code is available for a small fee.

     Author: John A. Marsh
             basher@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991  02:43 MDT
From: Loewy_Ron@F51.N405.Z2.FIDONET.ORG (Loewy Ron)
Subject: RPTP13.ZIP and RFFSRT11.ZIP uploaded to SIMTEL20

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.printer>
RPTP13.ZIP      Ron's Print To Printer - Text file formatter

RPTP is a printer utility for text files, it allows the user to format
text files to print on different printers, with different forms,
headers and footers.

pd1:<msdos.filutl>
RFFSRT11.ZIP    Ron's fix-sized record file sort program

RFFSORT allows the user to sort files with a fixed record size with up
to 10 different keys.

Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 08:54:15 EDT
From: jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org
Subject: SMOOTH11.ZIP - 'Lowness' and 'split linear' data smoothers

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.c>
SMOOTH11.ZIP    'Lowness' and 'split linear' data smoothers

SMOOTH reads pairs of numbers (x- and y-values) from the standard input
(or the given file), fits a smooth curve to the points, and writes to
the standard output points from the smooth curve.

Two smoothing algorithms are available.  By default, the curve is
calculated using the "lowness" procedure developed by W.  S.
Cleveland.  This technique achieves robustness by decreasing weights on
data points which are far from the fitted line.  The "split linear
smooth" procedure due to Art Owen is also provided.  It smooths the
data while preserving sharp discontinuities in slope or value.

                                 - Jim Van Zandt
                                   jrv@sdimax2.mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 14:30:50 IDT
From: Loewy_Ron@F51.N405.Z2.FIDONET.ORG
Subject: TXS12.ZIP - Fast text search with existential dictionaries

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.txtutl>
TXS12.ZIP       Fast text search with existential dictionaries

TXS is a text search program that allows the user to create data
dictionary to static text files, and perform FAST LOGIC searchs.

TXS supports keyboard and mouse systems, with an easy to use CUA-like
user interface.

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 91 18:15:46 -0700
From: amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa@COCO.MS.WASHINGTON.EDU (James W. Birdsall)
Subject: XMSLB121.ZIP - XMS inteface for Borland/Turbo C[++] & MSC

I have uploaded to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.turbo-c>
XMSLB121.ZIP    XMS inteface for Borland/Turbo C[++] & MSC

XMSLIB provides a high-level interface to XMS control functions for
common operations such as allocating and freeing XMS extended memory
blocks (EMBs) and copying data to and from EMBs. A raw interface has
been included to allow more exotic functions which are not directly
supported. It is compatible with Borland/Turbo C[++] and should work
with MSC. Free for private use; you must register only if you wish to
distribute programs using XMSLIB.

   --James W. Birdsall          picarefy!jwbirdsa@amc.com, jwbirdsa@amc.com

End of Info-IBMPC Digest V91 #158
-------