[comp.os.research] Distributed UNIX information request

reggie@pdn.uucp (George W. Leach) (12/24/87)

     I am interested in obtaining information regarding UNIX or UNIX-like
distributed operating systems.  Thus far the major systems known to me
are: UNIX United and thee Newcastle Connection, LOCUS, Amoeba, V-System,
Eden, Argus, and of course Mach.

[ Don't forget Sprite at Berkeley.  It's very impressive.  I hope one of ]
[ the Spriters will follow up on this.  --DL                             ]

    *NOTE*  There were too many systems to list.  If any system has been
covered in  any of the following then I have information on them:

	"Distributed Operating Systems", Andrew S. Tanenbaum and
	Robbert van Renesse, ACM Computing Surveys, Vol 17, No. 4,
	Dec., 1985

	in any USENIX Conference Proceeding from the Summer, 1984
	thru Summer, 1987 (inclusive)

	Proceedings: Workshop on Workstation Operating Systems,
	November 5-6, 1987, Cambridge MA

	Proceedings from the Second Workshop on Large-Grained Parallelism,
	November, 1987, Pittsburg PA

      If there are other such systems that I ought to look into, please
send me some e-mail with some references.

Thank You,

George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207
Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
						Largo, FL  34649-2826

earle@ames.arpa (Greg Earle) (12/25/87)

In article <4421@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> reggie@pdn.uucp (George W. Leach) writes:
>     I am interested in obtaining information regarding UNIX or UNIX-like
>distributed operating systems.  Thus far the major systems known to me
>are: UNIX United and thee Newcastle Connection, LOCUS, Amoeba, V-System,
>Eden, Argus, and of course Mach.
>
>    *NOTE*  There were too many systems to list.  If any system has been
>covered in  any of the following then I have information on them:

>	Proceedings: Workshop on Workstation Operating Systems,
>	November 5-6, 1987, Cambridge MA

The way to get these proceedings was recently in this newsgroup, but I
was out of town for the Sun User Group convention and it expired before
I could get it copied.  Could Joe repost that information (or perhaps,
as I will be in Cambridge for the X Conference, tell me how to get a copy
directly while in Mass.), please?

Thanks,

	Greg Earle		earle@jplopto.JPL.NASA.GOV
	Indep. Sun consultant	earle%jplopto@jpl-elroy.ARPA	[aka:]
	Rockwell Science Center	earle%jplopto@elroy.JPL.NASA.GOV
	Thousand Oaks, CA	...!cit-vax!elroy!smeagol!jplopto!earle

paf@sdcsvax (12/27/87)

You might contact Plexus Computers. They developed (and sold) the
first comercial Distributed File system in 1982-3 for System-III.
This was a rmount model with state information. The designer was
Monte Pickard, now at Counterpoint computers.

[ This is mostly of historical interest, but I would like to hear more ]
[ about it if Monte is somewhere on the net.  --DL                     ]