[comp.os.research] Papers on Mach?

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (10/13/88)

In article <5391@juniper.uucp>, chari@juniper.uucp (Christopher Michael Whatley) writes:
> Can someone give me pointers to papers or books covering CMU's Mach operating
> system. I want something that tells me more than "Mach multitasks" or
> "Mach is BSD 4.X compatible".

Hmm.  What with NeXT just being announced, there are going to be alot of
people interested in reading up on Mach.  Might as well post any readings
to all of:
   comp.os.misc, alt.next, comp.misc, comp.sys.misc, comp.os.research

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

fouts@lemming. (Marty Fouts) (10/15/88)

Here's my private bibliography, which is about a year out of date, in
Bibtex format:

The best thing to do is get the Summer 86 USENIX proceedings and the
Mach papers directly from CMU.

Be warned, the available bibliography is fairly large, but a lot of
the papers are rehashes of each other.  Also, the early papers
describe what CMU wanted Mach to become, which is somewhat different
than what it really is.

-----     Cut here for mach.bib

@string{oopsla86 = "Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages and
Applications Conference Proceedings"},
@string{usenix86 = "Summer 1986 USENIX Technical Conference and
Exhibition"},
@string{software = "IEEE Software"}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Anderson86,
  AUTHOR = "D Anderson",
  TITLE = "Experience with Flamingo: ADistributed, Object-Oriented
User Interface System",
  BOOKTITLE = oopsla86,  YEAR = 1986, MONTH = "September"
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Accetta86,
  AUTHOR = "M. Accetta and R.Baron and D. Golub and R.Rashid and
            A.Tevanian and M. Young",
  TITLE = "Mach: A New Kernel Foundation for UNIX Development",
  BOOKTITLE = usenix86,
  YEAR = 1986
}

@ARTICLE{Baron85A,
  AUTHOR = "R Baron and R Rashid and E Siegel and A Tevanian and M
Young",
  TITLE = "MACH-1:  An Operating System Environment for Large-Scale
           Multiprocessor Applications",
  JOURNAL = software,
  YEAR = 1985, MONTH = "July"
}

@INCOLLECTION{Baron85B,
  AUTHOR = "R Baron and R Rashid and E Siegel and A Tevanian and M
Young",
  TITLE = "MACH-1:  A Multiprocessor Oriented Operating System and
Environment",
  YEAR = 1985,
  EDITOR = "Arthur Wouk",
  BOOKTITLE = "New Computing Environments:  Parallel, Vector and
Systolic,",
  PUBLISHER = "Siam",
  ADDRESS = {Philadelphia, PA}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Jones86,
  AUTHOR = "M Jones and R Rashid",
  TITLE = "Mach and MatchMaker:  Kernel and Language Support for
Object-Oriented and Distributed Systems",
  BOOKTITLE = oopsla86,
  YEAR = 1986, MONTH = "September"
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Jones84,
  AUTHOR = "M Jones and R Rashid and M Thompson",
  TITLE = "Matchmaker:  An Interface Specification Language for
Distributed Processing",
  BOOKTITLE = "Proceedings of the 12th ACM SIGACT-SIGPLAN Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages",
  Publisher = "ACM", Month = "January", YEAR = 1986
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Rashid81,
  AUTHOR = "R Rashid and G Robertson",
  TITLE = "Accent: A Communication Oriented Network Operating System
Kernel",
  BOOKTITLE = "Proceedings of the 8th Symposium on Operating Systems
Principles",
  YEAR = 1981, MONTH = "December",
  PUBLISHER = "ACM"
}

@TECHREPORT{Sansom86,
  AUTHOR = "R Sansom and D Julin and R Rashid",
  TITLE = "Extending a Capability Based System into a Network
Environment",
  INSTITUTION = "CMU Computer Science Department",
  YEAR = 1986, MONTH = "April"
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Smith86,
  AUTHOR = "E Smith and D Anderson",
  TITLE = "Flamingo:  Object-Oriented Abstractions for User Interface
Management",

--
+-+-+-+     I don't know who I am, why should you?     +-+-+-+
   |        fouts@lemming.nas.nasa.gov                    |