[comp.os.research] Shared Virtual Address Spaces

dls@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) (11/28/88)

Subject: Re: Shared Virtual Address Spaces (summary)

	Thanks for all the responses. Most were duplicated in the summary
from mootaz@rice.edu I didn't see, which is included below. Those additional
references and soon to be published papers I list in no particular order.
Interested or useful commentary is found with a preceding ">".

Alessandro.Forin@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>I may add that our group (Mach, CMU) will present a paper at next Winter
>USENIX on the subject...

Young, M. et al
	"The Duality of Memory and Communication in the Implementation
	 of a Multiprocessor Operating System"
	11th Symp. on Operating Systems Principles

Abramson, D.A. & Keedy, J.L.
	"Implementing a large virtual memory in a distributed computing
	system"
	Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Hawaii International Conference
	on System Sciences, Volume 2 pp 515-522

[begin mootaz summary]

>From: mootaz@rice.edu (Elmootazbellah Nabil Elnozahy)

>	The following is the summary of the responses that I have got.
>You should find additional references in each of the papers below.

I.
	Neiger, Gil and Sam Toueg, "Substituting for Real Time and Common
	Knowledge in Asynchronous Distributed Systems," Proceedings of the
	Sixth ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pages
	281-293, Vancouver, British Columbia.

	A revised version appears as Cornell University Department of Computer
	Science Technical Report 86-790.  The paper will appear in the Journal
	of the ACM.

	This paper details, among other things ways in which "common knowledge"
	may be simulated in asynchronous (and synchronous) message passing
	systems.

II.
	D. R. Cheriton,
	``Problem-oriented Shared Memory: A Decentralized Approach to
	Distributed System Design,'' Proc. Sixth Int. Conf. on Distributed
	Computing Systems (1986),  pp. 190-197.

III.
 	Kai Li and  Paul Hudak
 	``Memory Coherence in Shared Virtual Memory Systems''
 	Proc. 5th ACM Symp. Principles of Distributed Computing, Aug., 1986
	pp. 229-239

IV.
	Kai Li ,
	"Shared Virtual Memory on Loosely Coupled Multiprocessors,"
	RR-492 Proc. IEEE CS 1986, Int. Conf. on
	Computer Languages, Miami, FL, pp 98-106 (Oct 1986).

IV.
	 Roberto Bisiani and  Alessandro Forin
 	 ``Multilingual Parallel Programming of Heterogeneous Machines''
 	IEEE Transactions on Computers, Aug., 1988, pp. 930-945

V.
	 Umakishore Ramachandran, Mustaque Ahamad, and  M. Yousef. A. Khalidi
 	 ``Unifying Synchronization and Data Transfer in Maintaining Coherence
	 of Distributed Shared Memory''
	 Technical report,  Number = GIT-ICS-88/23
 	 School of ICS, Georgia Institute of Technology, June 1988

VI.
 	Umakishore Ramachandran and  M. Yousef. A. Khalidi
 	``Programming With Distributed Shared Memory''
	Techinal report, Number GIT-ICS-88/38
 	School of ICS, Georgia Institute of Technology, October, 1988

VII.
	Yousef Khalidi
	"Hardware Support for Object-based Systems",
	Ph.D. thesis, (in preparation),
	School of ICS, Georgia Institute of Technology.

VIII.
	David C. DiNucci
	"Practical Support for Parallel Programming" in
	the proceedings of the 21st Hawaii Int'l Conf. on System Sciences of
	January 1988, vol 2, pp 109-118.

	(A clearer version of this paper will appear in COMPCON in
	San Francisco (coming up)).

XI.
	Libes, Don, "User-Level Shared Variables", Tenth USENIX Conference
	Proceedings, Summer 1985.

	By using TCP/IP for communications on UNIX 4.2BSD,
	a memory paradigm can be designed on processors that
	are only internetworked together.

X.
	Alfred Spector,
	"Performing Remote Operations Efficiently on a Local Computer Network,"
	 CACM 25(4), April 1982, pp 246-259.

XI.
	B. W. Arden and R. Ginosar.
	``MP/C: A Multiprocessor/Computer Architecture''
	Proceedings: 8th Annual Symposium on Computer Architecture
	IEEE Computer Society,
	Minneapolis, May 1981.
	pp. 3-13

XII.
	Q. F. Stout.
	``Mesh-Connected Computers with Broadcasting''
	IEEE Transactions on Computers
	Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 826-830, September 1983.

XIII.
	Jos M. Bernab, Phillip W. Hutto, Yousef A. Khalidi, Mustaque Ahamad,
	William F. Appelbe, Partha Dasgupta, Richard J. LeBlanc, and Umakishore
	Ramachandran
	The Architecture of Ra: A kernel for Clouds,
	Proceedings of the Twenty-Second Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences,
	January 1989 (to appear).

Interested readers should also consult papers about:
	1. The Mach operating systems (CMU)
	2. The ISIS system (Cornell)
	3. The Linda Kernel (Yale).

[Also:
	4. The V system at Stanford
	5. Accent at CMU
	6. Clouds/ra at Georgia Tech
-- +-DLS ]

[end mootaz summary]

Also:
	Delp, Sethi and Farber
	"An analysis of Memnet: An experiment in high-speed shared-memory
	local networking"
	SIGCOMM'88 Symposium held at Stanford in Aug. 1988

	D.A. Poplawski and D.O. Rich
	Code Paging on Hypercubes
	Proceedings of the 1987 International Conference on Parrallel Processing
	August 17-21, 1987
	Pennsylvania State University Press