[comp.os.research] CDC NOS/VE

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (03/24/89)

Could someone point me to references concerning the design of CDCs
NOS/VE operating system.

Many thanks...

	...ken seefried iii
	   ken@gatech.edu

jps@wucs1.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) (03/29/89)

In article <6768@saturn.ucsc.edu> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>Could someone point me to references concerning the design of CDCs
>NOS/VE operating system.
>
>Many thanks...
>
>	...ken seefried iii
>	   ken@gatech.edu

Hopefully someone from CDC can give you better pointers, but here goes...

As far as I know, precious little has been written in the standard
literature about NOS/VE.  The only article I've ever seen was in
one of the trade rags (Computer Design?).  I don't have the reference
with me, but I'll try to find it.

My information comes from CDC pubs.  Most of what I have is fairly old,
maybe more is out (if so, I'd like to hear about it!).

A marketing brocure thats actually better than most, and gives some
details is "System Architecture: Cyber 180 Systems", 204 137, 1984.
I got this (along with other glossy but non-technical stuff) from
a CDC sales office.

The NOS/VE software manuals that I have don't help much: commands, etc.
If there is an internals manual I'd like to hear about it!

Most of what I know I've gotten from the hardware manuals; for some
information, such as virtual memory management, they are useful.
Try looking at:
"CDC Cyber 170 and Cyber 180 Volume I: Virtual State System Description,
Functional Description", 60462090, 1984,
and
"CDC Cyber 170 and Cyber 180 Volume II: Instruction Descriptions, Programming
Information", 60458890, 1984.

It's a shame not more is easily accessable on NOS/VE.  From what I can tell
its a very nice design, and a very clever solution to providing modern
OS facilities, while still retaining compatability to an ancient
predecessor (NOS).  It also keeps the Multics style of addressing and
memory management alive, since Honeywell has dumped it.
(flame on: I don't know to what extent modern GCOS does this, but getting any
useful information out of Honeywell is next to impossible.  I've NEVER
delt with anyone that either knew or cared anything about spreading info
about Multics, GCOS, or DPS machines.   CDC, on the other hand can be
very helpful, they just don't seem to conisder it important to publicise
their systems.  You've got to ask.  flame off)

I consider NOS/VE and Multics to be among the essential systems to
look at when I teach operating systems (along with MVS and MCP),
but I've never seen anything about it in textbook case studies
either.
--
James Sterbenz  Computer and Communications Research Center
                Washington University in St. Louis 314-726-4203

pal@uunet.UU.NET (04/07/89)

In article <6792@saturn.ucsc.edu> jps@wucs1.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) writes:

>In article <6768@saturn.ucsc.edu> ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>>
>>Could someone point me to references concerning the design of CDCs
>>NOS/VE operating system.
[deleted]
>Most of what I know I've gotten from the hardware manuals; for some
>information, such as virtual memory management, they are useful.
>Try looking at:
>"CDC Cyber 170 and Cyber 180 Volume I: Virtual State System Description,
>Functional Description", 60462090, 1984,
>and
>"CDC Cyber 170 and Cyber 180 Volume II: Instruction Descriptions, Programming
>Information", 60458890, 1984.

Another manual that describes NOS/VE is:
CDC Cyber 170 and Cyber 180: General Description (Hardware Maintenance Manual)
no. 60459960, 1985.

The preface states that "this manual provides a model-independent overview of
the Virtual State System and its security/protection and interrupt features
relative to the computer system's hardware." Actually in the version I have
(revision B) the first section (virtual state overview) and the last
section (virtual state software overview) are omitted. Other
sections are called "security and protection", "buffer memories",
"central processor logical environment", "interrupts",
"call/return/pop mechanism", "crossing protection boundaries",
"interrupts part II", and "debug".

This manual, being an overview, also has the advantage that it's short in
length, unlike some other manuals such as the FORTRAN ones and the CDCNET
shelf :-)

Phil Leverton
Systems Group, University Computing Services,
University of Melbourne.