[comp.os.research] Wanted: RPC stub compiler references

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (04/13/89)

I am looking for RPC stub compiler references.  I already know about
Mercury, Sun's rpcgen and DEC SRC's Flume.  I will summarize anything I
get.

--
Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
guido@cwi.nl or mcvax!guido or guido%cwi.nl@uunet.uu.net

PS: what's the approved way of submitting particles to comp.os.research?
					  ^

					  [ Using cold fusion.  --DL ]

martin@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com (Bruce Martin) (04/15/89)

In article <6870@saturn.ucsc.edu> you write:

>I am looking for RPC stub compiler references.  I already know about
>Mercury, Sun's rpcgen and DEC SRC's Flume.  I will summarize anything I
>get.

My favorite is cstub from the PARPC system.  Cstub and PARPC are described
in:
	Martin, et al.
	"PARPC:  A System for Parallel Procedure Calls", pages 449-452
	Proceedings of the 1987 International Conference on
	Parallel Processing, The Pennsylvania State University Press,
	August, 1987

and more recently in:

	Martin, et al.
	"Experience with PARPC", pages 1-12.
	Proceedings of the 1989 Winter USENIX Technical Conference,
	USENIX Association, Feb. 1989.

usenet@saturn.ucsc.edu (Usenet News Account) (04/16/89)

In article <6870@saturn.ucsc.edu> guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:

|I am looking for RPC stub compiler references.  I already know about
|Mercury, Sun's rpcgen and DEC SRC's Flume.  I will summarize anything I
|get.

	Are you familiar with Xerox Courier?
	Many of its goals are analgous to XDR/RPC.

	I believe the source is publicly available.

|Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
|guido@cwi.nl or mcvax!guido or guido%cwi.nl@uunet.uu.net
|"Repo man has all night, every night."

Cheers,
--
O .		Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
  o  _///_ //	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

rogerh@arizona.edu (Roger Hayes) (04/27/89)

Here's a dump of our publications, in BibTeX format.  MLP can be
considered an RPC system; the second implementation uses a stub compiler.

				Roger Hayes
				rogerh@arizona.edu
------ mlp.bib -----

 @string{spe = "Software--Practice and Experience"}
 @string{tse = "{IEEE} Transactions on Software Engineering"}
 @string{azcs = "Department of Computer Science, University of Arizona"}
 @string{tucson = "Tucson, Arizona 85721"}

@TechReport{Manweiler86,
  author = "Steven W. Manweiler and Roger Hayes and Richard D. Schlichting",
  title = "The {MLP} System User's Manual",
  number = "86-4",
  institution = azcs,  address = tucson,
  month = feb, year= 1986
}
@TechReport{Manweiler86b,
  author = 	"Stephen W. Manweiler and Roger Hayes and
			Richard D. Schlichting",
  title = 	"Adding New Languages to the {MLP} System",
  institution = azcs, address = tucson,
  year = 	"1986",
  number = 	"86-9",
  month = 	jun
}
@article{Hayes87,
  author = "Roger Hayes and Richard D. Schlichting",
  title = "Facilitating Mixed-Language Programming in Distributed Systems",
  journal = tse, volume = "SE-13", number = "12", pages = "1254-1264",
  year =  "1987"
}
@article{Hayes88,
  author =	"Roger Hayes and Steve W. Manweiler and Richard D. Schlichting",
  title = 	"A Simple System for Constructing Distributed,
			Mixed-Language Programs",
  journal =	spe,
  volume =  18, number = 7, month = jul, year = 1988,
  pages =	"641-660"
}
@TechReport{Hayes88b,
  author =	"Roger Hayes and Norman C. Hutchinson and
			Richard D. Schlichting",
  title =	"Integrating Emerald into a System for Mixed-Language
			Programming",
  institution = azcs,  address = tucson,
  month = oct, year= 1988
}