[comp.os.research] Info on "Linda"

kent@decwrl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (08/29/89)

I'm looking for references for (or pointers to code) a system called
'Linda'. It's apparently an emerging standard for a model of parallel
computation that has been used to hook multiple backend servers to
a frontend application.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
chris
--
Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639

ge@sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (08/30/89)

In article <8918@saturn.ucsc.edu> kent@decwrl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) writes:
>I'm looking for references for (or pointers to code) a system called
>'Linda'. It's apparently an emerging standard for a model of parallel
>computation that has been used to hook multiple backend servers to
>a frontend application.

Contact David Gelernter
	Yale University
	Dept. of Computer Science
	New Haven, Connecticut.

Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1
6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands              tel. +3180612483 (UTC-2)

grunwald@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Dirk Grunwald) (08/31/89)

There was a recent IEEE Computer article on this, and I think it was even
hyped in the Sci. American about 2 months ago.

simpson@uunet.UU.NET (Scott Simpson) (08/31/89)

In article <8918@saturn.ucsc.edu> kent@decwrl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) writes:
>I'm looking for references for (or pointers to code) a system called
>'Linda'. It's apparently an emerging standard for a model of parallel

"Linda in Context", Nicholas Carriero and David Gelernter, CACM, Volume 32,
Number 4, April 1989, pp. 444-458.

Ahuja, S., et al.  "Matching language and hardware for parallel computation
in the Linda machine". IEEE Trans. Computers 37, 8 (Aug. 1988), 921-929.

Ahuja, S., Carriero, N., and Gelernter, D. "Linda and friends". IEEE
Computer 19, 8 (Aug. 1986), 26-34.

Ashcraft, C., Carriero, N., and Gelernter, C. "Hybrid DB search and
sparse LDL factorization using Linda"., Yale University Department of
Science Research Report (Jan. 1989).

Borrman, L., Herdieckerhoff, M. "Linda integriert in Modula-2---ein
Sparchkonzept fur portable parallel Software". In Proceedings 10.
Gi/ITG-Factagung Architektur und Betrieb von Rechensystemen.
(Paderborn, March 1989).

Carriero, N., and Gelernter, D. "The S/Net's Linda kernel", ACM Trans.
Comput. Syst. 4, 2 (May 1986). pp. 110-129.

Carriero, N., and Gelernter, D. "Applications experience with Linda."
In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Parallel Programming, July
1988.

Carriero, N., Gelernter, D., and Leichter, J. "Distributed data
structures in Linda", In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages (St. Petersburg, Fla., Dan. 13-15,
1986).

Gelernter, D. "Generative communication in Linda", ACM Trans. Prog.
Lang. Syst. 7, 1 (1985), pp. 80-112.

Gelernter, D. "Elastic computing envelopes and their operators (Linda
3)", Yale University Department of Computer Science Research Report
(Jan. 1989).

Krishnaswamy, V., et al. " The architecture of a Linda coprocessor".
In Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Architecture (1988).

Whiteside, R.A. and Leichter, J.S., "Using Linda for supercomputing on
a local area network." Yale University Department of Computer Science
Technical Memo (March 1988).

	Scott Simpson
	TRW Space and Defense Sector
	usc!trwarcadia!simpson  	(UUCP)