[comp.os.research] Memory utilization...

wilson@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Paul Wilson) (09/09/89)

In article <45344@bbn.COM> slackey@BBN.COM (Stan Lackey) writes:
>In article <2089@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
>>In article <278@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk>, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>>> A VM system general enough to perform well for most potential users and
>>> their applications on most potential hardware platforms is asking a lot.
>>
>>And the cost of failing to give this to the users is a lot more.
>
>Giving up something is required for generality; no general purpose
>machine is going to run FFT's as fast as an FFT box that costs the
>same.
>
>-Stan

Is this so?  My impression is that UNIX systems don't generally use
things like Working Set schedulers because nobody has bothered to
implement them, not because they sacrifice generality.   Working
Set, as I understand it, is simply superior in performance to
something like a global LRU, and cheap approximations to it aren't
that hard to implement.  So in fact a good approximation of Working
Set is *more* general than what most people actually use.  In the
easy cases it works about the same, or a bit better.  And in the
hard cases it works a *lot* better.

[It may be that UNIX doesn't allow users to specify enough about
the priorities of jobs to enable a WS scheduler to do a lot of
smart process-swapping, but a WS page-replacement algorithm should
still be a win and reduce page faults.  And extensions to UNIX
to support WS process scheduling wouldn't hurt the people who
didn't use them]

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I though
good approximations to WS were achievable on just about any
paged hardware, even lacking reference bits, at a small cost.
I think there was a paper on something called WSClock, showing
how to do this, by somebody or other and Hennessy, in the
1984 (83?) SOSP.

So now I'm curious -- is it just that most UNIX implementors haven't gotten
around to using this technology, because it's not an issue
for most of their users, or are the supposedly cheap
approximations oversold?

(I've added a couple of OS newsgroups, to hear what OS people think,
but followups are to comp.arch.)

    -- Paul

Paul R. Wilson
Software Systems Laboratory               lab ph.: (312) 996-9216
U. of Illin. at C. EECS Dept. (M/C 154)   wilson@carcoar.stanford.edu
Box 4348   Chicago,IL 60680